Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Penthesilea's Flower Garden (Read 7082 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Penthesilea's Flower Garden
Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
We're well into February and it is time for me to start thinking about my flower bed. A few years after we got settled in here, I installed several rose bushes in a sunny spot just east of the house. Over the decades that sunny spot has gotten considerably less sunny and is no longer suitable for my roses. Frankly, I'm not sure that they have survived the drought conditions of the last two summers and I've resolved to start over this coming spring. I have the spot picked out. It is a sunny section of the yard where I can't plant anything else due to the presence of power lines. The first thing I'll be doing is getting the ground ready which will require much digging, sore muscle creation and the raising of blisters. I'll be planting at least one each of "Queen Elizabeth," "Medallion" (if I can find any) a white rose and a red one. There will be other flowers in the bed, definitely some Iris and Peonies since I have some that need to be transplanted.  I plan on taking pictures as I go along and I'll post them as I can. I'm still trying to decide how big the bed should be. I "may" just start digging and when I can't spade anymore, that is how big the bed will be!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Flower Garden
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I've been doing research and Jackson and Perkins no longer has "Medallion" in their online catalog. The rose was first introduced in 1973 and I suspect that it is no longer "patent protected." If that's the case, I may be able to find it in Walmart or K-Mart's garden department.

The Medallion rose...

Medallion.jpg ( 13 KB | Downloads )
Medallion.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
It's still a bit too wet to start digging up my flower bed but if we can avoid rain for a couple of days, I should be able to get busy. I took a couple of "before" pictures today and checked out the lay of the land. The place I'm planning on using is an odd little "hill" east of this house and south of the Guest House. It is "odd" because it bumps up in the middle of a general downward slope. The reason it does that is because when my parents (and me!) moved here, there was an outbuilding just south of that spot. When my dad and his buddies decided to expand the basement -- which was "just" big enough for the coal furnace and the coal bin -- they dumped the dirt that they hauled out in a pile alongside that outbuilding. The building is long gone but the pile of dirt is still there, covered with a lawn of over fifty years duration. I have plans for the sod I'm going to take up. I just have to figure out where things are going to go.

Post # 24,141
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2012 at 12:01am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Lisa

Yeah... about that...

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
I've been doing some gardening things too, despite my two black thumbs.  Unfortunately I ran out of time & cash to fix up the front yard, so... rather than waste the bulbs, I just put them in the ground "as is".  Hopefully some of the things will come up.  Looks like the tiger lilies are trying, anyway.

Bought some other lilies for the back yard, but have yet to see them poking above ground.  I do, however, have baby vine plants popping up everywhere but along the fence line.  I'll wait for them to get bigger and move them as I'm weeding.  Hopefully they'll survive the transplantation.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I haven't started digging up the plot yet because Skywise intends to cut the grass but if he doesn't get a move on soon, I'm gonna start without him.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Tomorrow, I start digging the flower bed. The grass hasn't been cut yet but I bought a rose bush today that really should be in the ground as soon as possible. So, tomorrow I dig and will probably be so sore afterward that I won't be able to move!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
The grass FINALLY got cut yesterday and my rose bush went into the ground this afternoon. I didn't get nearly as much space dug up as I wanted to though. About half way into digging the hole for the rose bush my back started complaining loudly -- something along the lines of "WHAT THE 'HECK' ARE YOU THINKING?"  Smiley
It has not forgiven me for Saturday's wresting match with the mirror frame. I also discovered -- after it was full of sod -- that the tire on the wheelbarrow was flat. *sigh* So after I got the sod put down in the lowest/wettest/stinkiest part of the "Sinister Bog," I planted the rose bush and called it a day. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll water the rose (its peat pot was STILL plenty wet) to settle the dirt and then finish filling in the hole. I don't have anything else ready to plant so the sod can hold the dirt in place until I'm ready!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 3:59am
Print Post  
We got several good rain showers through here yesterday and another drenching is due later tonight. We had to cover the bush due to a cold snap mid-week that sent overnight temps below freezing but it came through like a champ and it's leafing out nicely. It will probably be a couple of months before I see flowers -- unless Gaea and Demeter have other plans -- but that's okay. This is for the long haul.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
My rose bush is leafing out nicely and there is a BUD on it! It is a teeny, tiny, little bitty bud but it is STILL a bud!   Smiley
I am happy. I don't think I'll be able to get any more rose bushes planted this year -- it is a little late so this fall I'll be moving the peonies and iris into their spots along with some early spring bulbs. It's a work in progress and I expect it to be that for a few years yet until I can get all the roses and different flowers planted.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2012 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Well, it looks like I'm going to have an herb garden too next year. In addition to the chocolate and Neosporin I got from Moonie for Mother's Day, she got me several packets of herb seeds and from reading the backs of the packets, I find that it is a bit late to start the seeds. SO, late next winter/early next spring, I'll be starting little pots of herbs.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2012 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Skywise discovered this morning that my rose bush had bloomed! And when I went to look, I discovered another bud on it! The flowers aren't full size since the plant isn't near maturity but the color is beautiful and the scent is heavenly. One of the reasons I love the "Queen Elizabeth" is that it smells wonderful! Next year will see me putting out more roses. This fall, I'll be transplanting peonies and iris as well as putting out some spring bulbs.

Post # 24,848
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2012 at 8:23pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
As noted elsewhere, the deer ATE the bloom and stripped the upper part of the plant. The rose bush is now enclosed in a hardware cloth cage with wire across the top to frustrate the deer. The bush is recovering nicely. The stripped stems are leafing out quite vigorously. Moonie and I have been watering it regularly so the drought isn't affecting it. No new buds have appeared but since this is its first summer in its permanent home, I'm not expecting an explosion of flowers.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:05pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Skywise and I checked the rose bush this morning and it is recovering nicely. Moonie has taken it on herself to see that it is watered every day, whether it strictly needs it or not, and it is thriving. There is even a tiny bud on it! I'm going to have to get some more hardware cloth soon. The bush is growing UPWARD and it will taller than the cage before long so some new arrangements will have to be made.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Updating.

The rose bush made it through the summer and is currently dormant. I'm hoping that the weather extremes we've had haven't killed it. I should know in about 6 to 8 weeks.

I've been accumulating gardening books this winter and the one I got today looks especially intriguing. It's called "Landscaping with Fruit" by Lee Beich and I was getting ideas before I even ordered it. The blueberry hedges look particularly interesting.....
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2013 at 7:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint