Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) General Discussion about Cooking and Cookbooks (Read 15853 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

General Discussion about Cooking and Cookbooks
Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Okay, I currently have a bee in my little bonnet thanks to a book called "Quick-Mix Healthy Mix" by Casey Kellar and Nicole Kellar-Munoz. It is, as the title says, a collection of homemade "mix" recipes that you can use in place of the high priced store brands made with ingredients that you can't pronounce. I've already put together their recipe for an all-purpose meat seasoning that I hope will please our Picky Eater Spirit and her almost as fussy Father who, in addition to being generally particular about flavor, can't eat onions, either fresh, cooked or dehydrated. Smiley Yes, I go through a LOT of onion powder! Anyway, this book has all sorts of "mixes" in it: breakfast cereals, baking mixes, sauce mixes, rubs, salad dressings and all sorts of things for a well stocked kitchen. The best part is that you can control what is in your food. The older I get the more dubious I become about the things that the food manufacturers put in their products. My hair also stands on end when I figure out the "price per serving" on some of this stuff! There aren't enough hours in the day for me to grow/produce everything we eat but I figure I'll start small and do what I can.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: General Discussion about Cooking and Cookbooks
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I made up one seasoning mix from the book and tried it out in a modified version of my meatloaf recipe. Spirit likes it but it's too salty for the rest of us so my next project will be to cut the salt in the mix. The original recipe used 3/4 C. of salt as the base for the mix so I'm going to cut that by a third and see how that works. It'll be a couple of weeks, most likely, before I try again and I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Well, I modified the seasoning recipe, combined two different meatloaf recipes and came up with something everyone in my family will actually eat. I have to bake them in two different pans but that's a minor detail

Given Skywise's new dietary restrictions, I'm probably going to be making a lot of things from scratch -- for instance "Rice Sides" mixes -- in order to get the sodium down to an acceptable level. Since I know that VE and her Hubby have similar dietary restrictions, I'll be posting the results of my experiments here and I'll be including the amount of sodium per serving/teaspoon.
Thank the Gods for Calculated Industries "Kitchen Calc"!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
That would be awesome, thanks Penth. Cheesy

TIP: Herbs (dried or fresh) pack a LOT of punch and add a lot of flavor without adding any sodium. Dried thyme is a MUST in our house, same with oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and a few others. I use thyme in almost everything because we love it.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I will probably start an herb garden of some sort next year. It's a bit late to start now and I'm going to need to figure out what herbs I'm going to need and secondly.... HOW TO KEEP THE CRITTERS AWAY FROM THEM!! If the deer don't get into it, there are rabbits, squirrels, ground squirrels, possums and raccoons who could develop a taste for fresh herbs if they haven't gotten one already! At least they're staying out of the catnip bed! We're going to have to redo the "rose cage" because the bush is outgrowing it and the deer have already eaten all the buds but one!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I am pleased. I was able to find the sodium content of the Celery Salt I use in my all-purpose meat seasoning as well as for the Onion Salt and Garlic salt I use. That will take some if not most of the guesswork out of the number crunching!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Awesome! The less number crunching the BETTER... (Says the math nerd!)

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
There is a reason why I have four different calculators not counting the one in my purse. One's a business/general math calculator from Texas Instruments, a scientific calculator also from TI, a construction calculator for building projects that can handle feet, yards and inches that I use for sewing projects as well as "construction" and a "kitchen calculator" that handles all kinds of kitchen measurements. The last two are from Calculated Industries and I get a lot of use out of them. I think that the kitchen calc is going to be the one to get the workout once I really get into this conversion/reworking/calculating mg of sodium per serving project. Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I think there are three calculators here - one is on the cell phone, and one is on the computer. Tax time and it came on both the computer and the cell. Tongue

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
If you use premade broths to make soups, etc, don't. Even the low salt ones use a TONNE of sodium. Make a big batch of your own without any salt and freeze it... You can portion it out using a muffin tin. Once it's frozen, take it out of the muffin tin and put it into a freezer bag, and you'll have plenty. I've done that before and the homemade stuff beats the packaged stuff HANDS DOWN.

You don't just control the sodium content in it, you control exactly what goes in it, like what herbs and other seasonings like pepper, garlic, etc. Cheesy

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 2:49am
Print Post  
I'll probably look into that. I don't use a lot of broths but that could change.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
We do sometimes, I toss it in with some stir fries to add extra punch. I also make homemade soups sometimes during the winter months... Nothing like a bowl of homemade chicken veggie soup with whole wheat penne to warm a person up in my opinion! LOL

I'll see what I can find for stock recipes, I do all of mine from memory... Dump style... and don't use one. I just don't use much salt, maybe a teaspoon -TOPS- in about 6 litres.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Moderator's note: New topic started, to keep them separate from the general discussion and so they won't get lost.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:08am by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Be it known that I hate fractions and I'm only slightly more fond of math in general. At the moment, I have a seasoning mix recipe that has 7,660 mg of sodium in the whole batch which since it was a "test batch" amounts to only 2 and 5/8th tablespoons total. I need to know how much sodium is in one teaspoon. There are 7 and 7/8ths teaspoons in 2 and 5/8ths tablespoons. It just could NOT be an even number and make my job easier......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Finally figured it out. I'll double check my figures in a bit but it looks like the answer is 972.7 mg per teaspoon.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2013 at 6:18pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I've been adding to the family cookbook. Tonight's tuna salad (recorded for the first time) went in as well as a "copycat" Manwich recipe and a Sloppy Joe recipe that will need to be overhauled before Skywise can eat it as it contains LOTS of onions which he has never been able to eat. I'm going to be looking for other sandwich spread/filling recipes that are low in sodium or that I can MAKE low in sodium.

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I don't remember if I asked you before bit can Skywise have garlic or chives?  I have regular chives and garlic chives, both make a nice flavour substitute for onion.  They are easy to grow.  Actually you have to treat chives like mint because they will spread like mad and grow like weeds.  Very easy to harvest as well if you want to dry them, cut them, wash them let them dry out.  Then take kitchen shears and cut them into pieces.  Put them in a paper lunch bag to dry.  It keeps them clean and together.  If you have chicken wire or something kicking around (like snow fence) you could make a quick herb-garden surround.  You have a longer growing season than we do so you could still get decent herbs.  They can also be mulched and wintered over quite well.  The chamomile, thyme, chives, golden majoram and oregano all wintered well.  You could also transplant some to tubs to use in the house over the winter.  Chives, oregano and basil do quite well in the house in a window sill.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Garlic is a "go" but not chives. He can eat them but he doesn't like them.

While in Target yesterday I saw several baking pans for baking "standard sized" brownies, blondies and snack cakes which would make it VERY easy to figure out the calories/sodium per serving of my brownie and coffee cake recipes. Skywise and I will be checking them out the next time we're in a Target store.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:01pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
My list of recipes to be copied into the family cookbook is getting long, especially since I'm going through my collection of Top Secret Recipe books and pulling out recipes for things that before I wouldn't make at home but now will so I can control the salt content. DEFINITELY gonna need a "kitchen grill." I'm having trouble finding a "George Foreman" that meets my requirements so I'll be looking at other brands.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I've been poking around in the kitchen with a metal tape measure and I'm pretty sure that a 4 x 4 foot work station will fit. It might be a bit "tight" if two people are trying to move around in there at the same time but with more workspace, no one "should" be needing to get into the dishwasher while I'm standing in front of it working on dinner! And I'll admit it -- the thought of having more under the counter storage space has me drooling. There is no room in this house that has enough storage space and the kitchen and bathrooms are the worst!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I'm transferring my "never fail" pie crust recipe from my old cookbook to the new one. My old "collected recipes" book is showing its age and the book the recipe came from is even older. I haven't been able to find this exact recipe online and since I don't plan on "messing with success" I'm entering it into the computer manually. I have my mother's old Fannie Farmer cookbook which is probably over 50 years old -- have to check the copyright date -- and all the recipes are "like grandma (or great grandma) used to make" before people went berserk and took the flavor out of everything.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Did some checking around in the Housewares department at Wal-Mart and I'm thinking I'm going to have to hit some more upscale stores to find what I want. Fortunately, Skywise agrees with me that skimping on quality when buying things like food processors and indoor grills is a bad idea and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need both of those things if I'm going to be cooking as much as I think I am. I have a good hand mixer, a couple of blenders in storage at the Guest House and a crockpot and a microwave that are practically new so I'm okay there but I think a food processor is going to turn into a "must have" as soon as I have a place to put it. I wouldn't be surprised if a bread machine is in my future too at some point. Skywise likes a good Italian or French loaf from time to time and there is only one market -- in Greenwood -- that makes a decent loaf of either so....... I may find myself in the bread business which won't bother me if I have enough room to do it right which I don't at the moment!

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:37am
Print Post  
A food processor and a bread maker are both worthwhile investments.  When it comes to the bread maker I'd suggest going with one that only has 1 blade for kneading/mixing.  My B&D has two and it's a pita!  I end up having to dig both blades out of my loaf when it`s done. If you have any thrift stores around, try picking up a bread maker there for $10 - 20.  Most of the time they are in almost - new shape and have been donated simply because they weren`t being used enough.  The food processor I would highly recommend getting new.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Skywise and I have just realized that our Thanksgiving dinner is going to have to be overhauled. I've been in the habit of brining our turkey for the last decade and, given our new low salt diet, I'm not going to be able to do that. So.... I'm going to have come up with another plan....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
We were able to get to Barnes & Noble today and I got three low-salt, no salt, heart healthy cookbooks so you know what I'm going to be reading for a while! LOL 
The books:
The New American Heart Association Cookbook
The No-Salt Cookbook
Betty Crocker Heart Healthy Cookbook -- which is the one I went in to look for!

I've already spotted some interesting looking recipes.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint