Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) General Discussion about Cooking and Cookbooks (Read 15862 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: General Discussion about Cooking and Cookbooks
Reply #100 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
It's Thanksgiving here in Canada and like last year, things are half nuts today.

Menu at our house:

Thyme roasted potato wedges (tossed with olive oil, dried thyme, freshly ground pepper, and a teeny bit of salt)
Roasted chicken thighs (seasonings like thyme, marjoram, sage, etc to enhance flavor)
Roasted carrots (with thyme and garlic)
Steamed mixed veggies with garlic (broccoli, peppers, etc)
Corn (kernels, frozen)
Stuffing/dressing (me only, the guys do NOT like it!)
Cheesecake for dessert

None of us like squash, sweet potatoes, etc, so I don't make any of that kind of thing. I'm the only one who will touch pumpkin pie so that's out. No point in making a big pie if I'm the only one eating it. *SIGH* Since the guys do NOT like gravy and it'll be pushing it for our dietary intake, we just de-fat the juices from the chicken and use them instead... I always add some onions, mushrooms and garlic (and once in a while, carrots and celery) to help flavor the broth so it has extra punch. LOL

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
My big 'ol George Foreman Grill is at the Post Office in town so I'll have that piece of kitchen equipment tomorrow. I just put the shelves in the big [36 inch wide] unit so aside from extra braces on the bottom shelf, that's done. The narrower shelf doesn't need them so yay for that! I might get this done today, except for the braces so I can FINALLY start getting things REALLY organized.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Correction! My George Foreman grill is HERE! I guess they didn't have the site updated the last time I looked.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Skywise and I were just discussing the next kitchen project -- replacing the sink. Naturally this isn't a straightforward "take old one out, put new one in" deal. We've discovered that the counter is too narrow for standard sinks -- the one the builders used is the type used in recreational vehicles and mobile homes -- so we're going have to replace the cabinets along with the sink. We have some differing ideas about that but we'll get them ironed out. First thing though, I need to lay in some cash so when the time comes, we'll have the funds to do the job. I'm considering the workstation project as a "warm up" for replacing the sink. I've already told Skywise that I want at least one unit to be all drawers. You can't have too many drawers in a kitchen....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Note to self: Ground pork will probably go through the grinder more readily if it is semi-frozen. Otherwise, it will not go through very well at all since thawed ground pork quickly develops the consistency of "sticky toothpaste".
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2013 at 1:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Moonie and I have discovered what is in the fondant that is used in cake decorating and have realized why many people don't like it. The primary ingredient is marshmallows, followed closely by large amounts of powdered sugar. The cookbook then instructs you to frost the cake with buttercream frosting before putting on a sheet of fondant! Smiley Talk about "sugar overload"! That much "sweet" would put off at least 90% of the population. Fondant looks pretty and it makes a smooth, unblemished surface to decorate on but Moonie and I are agreed -- and I'm pretty sure that Skywise and Spirit concur -- that a fondant covered cake is not something we would want to eat. Buttercream frosting is rich enough!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #106 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
My son and middle niece would love that, but they are under the age of 12 and are sugar fanatics...

Otherwise, EW. Yeah, I'd skip that too, and just use something like royal frosting or something else!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #107 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 2:18am
Print Post  
We have the recipe for royal frosting as well and we'll probably be experimenting with that too once Moonie gets seriously into making flowers and such for cake decorations.

Post # 31,500
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2013 at 2:32am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #108 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
One pound ricotta, 2 cooked hot Italian sausages broken into pieces, 1/2 tablespoon of dried Italian herbs, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 medium sized garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and a couple of tablespoons of parmesan (grated)...

That's the recipe for the stuffing I'm using in the jumbo shells today. Can't remember how many it made but it wasn't the full box. Leftover shells are tossed with leftover pasta sauce and will be reheated for lunch tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:24pm by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #109 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Made up a "test batch" of low sodium ketchup. It wasn't too complicated to make, just had to watch it while it cooked down. Once the ketchup recipe is perfected, I'll be able to work up an Ultimate Low Sodium BBQ Sauce recipe so I can make bbq out of leftover roast beef. Haven't be able to do that since Skywise's diagnosis and we miss it. Low sodium baked beans are on my list too -- can't use canned pork and beans anymore, too much sodium. I'll have to start with dried beans..... I've also got the materials to try my hand at Apple Cider Vinaigrette salad dressing. I may dive into that in a day or two.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:37am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #110 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Well, I've opened a word doc for bbq sauce. I've located a non-alcoholic sauce recipe that is supposedly pretty close in flavor to Open Pit Original Barbeque Sauce which is the sauce Skywise and I grew up with and the one we still prefer. The only drawback to Open Pit is the sodium content which is enough to make your hair stand on end. Open Pit is one of those things that people either love or hate. It's tangy rather than sweet and the "original flavor" doesn't have an artificial "smokey" flavor to it. Neither Skywise or I care much for artificial "smoke" and the other sauces we've tried were excessively sweet as well as being overwhelmingly "smoke flavored" and we've always come back to Open Pit Original. So I'll be using the OP Clone recipe as a reference while I work up my own, low salt/sodium sauce.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #111 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I've gotten the recipe "roughed in" and ready to go when it's time to try it. I haven't figured out the sodium count per serving is yet because I'll need to know how much the recipe makes and right now, I can only guess. So when I make it the first time, I'll pour it into a 4 cup measuring cup to cool!
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2014 at 8:08pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Skywise was poking around in the Guest House kitchen this morning and found the instruction book that came with my mother's pressure canner. During my childhood, our situation demanded a very large garden and diligent preserving of the harvest so while my job was "helper" (I snapped beans, skinned beets and tomatoes and stuffed green peppers among other chores)  I am not unacquainted with the procedures involved. Anyway, we started talking and I pointed out that a lot of things that we would eat now -- and have eaten the past -- but can't because the commercial products have too much sodium and/or potassium in them we "could" make at home in low sodium versions and "put up" (country talk for home canning) the results for later use. An example would be a low sodium Sloppy Joe/Manwich sauce. We could make the sauce, add the cooked meat and can the result. Then all we'd have to do is open a jar, heat up the contents and eat. Anything that can be canned commercially can be canned at home with the right equipment which is basically a good quality pressure canner, glass jars, lids and the metal bands that hold the lids on until they're sealed. The glass jars are the biggest expense but as I pointed out, there are a few hundred of them up at the Guest House, they just need to be cleaned and inspected for chips around the edges. When Skywise suggested that we get a new canner (since Mom's is several decades old) that told me that he was interested. What this is leading to is that in three years and eleven months, (September, 2018) our mortgage will be paid off. Some time after that, Skywise will probably retire with the expected reduction in income. We're pretty well set for retirement but "stuff" does happen and conservation of financial resources is something we need to think about. One way is to preserve and store our own food and maybe grow it too. Which is why I've been researching square foot gardening, three and four season gardening and greenhouses....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #113 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Dinner -- which is chicken breast -- is in the crockpot. It came out too dry last time so I'm adjusting both the cooking time and the amount of water I added. When I get the recipe "right" or nearly so, I'll post it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #114 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Mar 15th, 2015 at 8:54pm:
Dinner -- which is chicken breast -- is in the crockpot. It came out too dry last time so I'm adjusting both the cooking time and the amount of water I added. When I get the recipe "right" or nearly so, I'll post it.

I've made chicken in the crockpot several times since the initial post and it's been consistently good. Cooking time depends on whether the chicken is thawed or frozen so I've been cooking it on "high" for four hours or so before I stick a meat thermometer in it to check internal temperature. To get an accurate reading, I put the thermometer in and then put the lid back on. An internal temperature of 165 degrees is considered "done" for chicken but I usually end up with it hotter than that. I canNOT stand underdone chicken! As far as liquid is concerned, I pour approximately a cup of water in with the chicken. You can use broth if you want but for us, water works just fine and the meat isn't dry.
On the "Thanksgiving" front, "turkey shortage" notwithstanding, I found a suitable turkey breast today and it now sits in the Guest House freezer awaiting the big day.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015 at 2:30am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #115 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
Skywise was poking around in the Guest House kitchen this morning and found the instruction book that came with my mother's pressure canner. During my childhood, our situation demanded a very large garden and diligent preserving of the harvest so while my job was "helper" (I snapped beans, skinned beets and tomatoes and stuffed green peppers among other chores)  I am not unacquainted with the procedures involved. Anyway, we started talking and I pointed out that a lot of things that we would eat now -- and have eaten the past -- but can't because the commercial products have too much sodium and/or potassium in them we "could" make at home in low sodium versions and "put up" (country talk for home canning) the results for later use. An example would be a low sodium Sloppy Joe/Manwich sauce. We could make the sauce, add the cooked meat and can the result. Then all we'd have to do is open a jar, heat up the contents and eat. Anything that can be canned commercially can be canned at home with the right equipment which is basically a good quality pressure canner, glass jars, lids and the metal bands that hold the lids on until they're sealed. The glass jars are the biggest expense but as I pointed out, there are a few hundred of them up at the Guest House, they just need to be cleaned and inspected for chips around the edges. When Skywise suggested that we get a new canner (since Mom's is several decades old) that told me that he was interested. What this is leading to is that in three years and eleven months, (September, 2018) our mortgage will be paid off. Some time after that, Skywise will probably retire with the expected reduction in income. We're pretty well set for retirement but "stuff" does happen and conservation of financial resources is something we need to think about. One way is to preserve and store our own food and maybe grow it too. Which is why I've been researching square foot gardening, three and four season gardening and greenhouses....

While searching the Guest House for something else, Skywise discovered where my mom put the pressure canner when she put it up for the last time. Sometime over the weekend we'll get up there, haul it out and see what shape it's in. I know without looking that the gasket will need to be replaced but I'm not sure about anything else. I want to do a few test runs before leaping "all in" into canning since it does require a considerable outlay of time. Still, if I can can things like "chili base" to have "in case" it would be worth it, especially since I could take real advantage of ground beef specials.
Moonie is saving up to start a Square Foot Garden "pilot project" in the spring so we'll be getting on that. One thing she wants to grow is strawberries. You can't "can" those but you can make jam and syrup. I also want to experiment with canning potatoes. If that works, I want to grow those too. Growing them in containers is fairly easy or so I've heard and canned potatoes would work for the dishes I normally make.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015 at 4:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I've been too busy cooking to post about it.
I now have my own pressure canner and I'm hoping to learn to use it this summer.
My cookbook collection has expanded and I'm inventorying them now. THAT is gonna be a job! Smiley I find that I like the older editions of established cookbooks, specifically before the recipes were re-written to make them "healthy". Most of the time, I'm more interested in "flavor" than in "healthy". The only exception is salt/sodium because of Skywise's blood pressure but other than that, I tend to cook what tastes good. Besides I have a shelf full of America's Test Kitchen cookbooks/guides and they have all the "healthy" that a body needs!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint