Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What’s Happenin’? XXXIII: Darby O'Gill and the Little Posts (Read 30406 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What’s Happenin’? XXXIII: Darby O'Gill and the Little Posts
Reply #950 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:56am

Skywise isn't home yet but I'm beat so I'm gonna head out and wait for him stretched out on the bed with the Queen.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:57am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #951 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:02am

Morning. It's a coffee and sweater kind of morning.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #952 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 12:53pm

Heading out to run a few errands with Hubby. We'll be back later. Cheesy

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #953 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 2:31pm

Morning!  I'll be making a half-pot of coffee here in a little bit.  Tuesdays are now home-made onion soup days here and I am recovering from chopping onions.  It doesn't matter what precautions I take, they're really juicy!  Cry  It makes a great supper.  They adore it so it's a labour of love.  I'm seriously considering getting some swimming goggles to make it easier though!  Grin

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #954 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 3:10pm

We're back from town. The second hand store was NUTS but I did find a new to me pair of jeans, which I desperately needed!

I was also talking with my old boss... I kinda bragged up about being busy because I was writing--how I finished one long story and am now writing its sequel. She made me promise to tell her when I get published too. LOL

I have a bit of a neuralgia flare up so I may be quiet.

RT, I love onions in a lot of stuff, but I hate chopping them for any reason because they're so darn... Hateful to one's eyes. *SIGH* It's the bane of any cook I swear!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #955 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 3:23pm

Morning. I'm easing myself into the new routine that will be going into effect next month. I'm not exactly sure when we'll be starting it but we'll definitely be into it by the first of June.

I haven't chopped onions in years. Skywise can't eat them so I cook without them. Thank the Gods for onion powder!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #956 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 3:32pm

I have onion powder on hand for backup and for spice rubs, etc. It's good stuff, but Hubby prefers real onions so that's what we use. Son won't touch them worth spit but Hubby and I both eat them... A lot! LOL

The first round of the NHL playoffs start a week from today so I'm going to drop a warning right now that I may either be grumbling or screaming... It all depends on if the Leafs win or lose. It's a best of seven series so I'll be like that for about 2 weeks to start unless the Leafs get knocked out in 4 straight... Which I hope does NOT happen!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #957 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:40pm

*sigh* We have rain and maybe thunderstorms incoming this afternoon. I don't know if it will be heavy enough to knock us offline or not. At least no one is yelling "THUNDERSTORM WATCH!!!" so far.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #958 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:40pm

The phone rang a few minutes ago and I just about jumped out of my skin...

It was one of my son's teachers wanting to update us on what's happening on Saturday with the math competition, etc.

I was hoping it was something else. Oh well...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #959 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:45pm

Penthesilea wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:40pm:
*sigh* We have rain and maybe thunderstorms incoming this afternoon. I don't know if it will be heavy enough to knock us offline or not. At least no one is yelling "THUNDERSTORM WATCH!!!" so far.

Hopefully NO thunderstorms. We're getting rain later... Hopefully not too heavy!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #960 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:34pm

No thunderstorms on the radar yet.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #961 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:38pm

GOOD! No rain here yet, but it's windy out there.

I'm now eying that mountain of dishes in the sink... BARF!!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #962 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:50pm

I have dishes to do too but I'm going to wait a bit before I load the dishwasher. Skywise just left and I'm making the transition from "Skywise home" to "Skywise gone."

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #963 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:04pm

I've been making a lot of goofy posts in FB and a few that may make a few of the locals go "BANANAS"... Hehehehe... Smiley If they don't want to see what I'm sharing, they do NOT have to look at my profile, simple as that! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #964 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:16pm

The lights just dimmed so I may go "poof."

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #965 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:18pm

Oh joy... No worries, I'm here for a couple of more hours.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #966 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:38pm

Tomorrow is a long writing day for me... Hubby goes in for six a.m. so I'll be diving into the writing pretty much as soon as Son gets on the bus. I'd like to get at least half of Chapter 8 done tomorrow if I can do it!

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #967 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:44pm

No thunderstorms predicted here yet, just snow predicted again for tommorrow!  I heard rumours we might get rain by Saturday.  I really hope so! It would finally break down the rest of this snow and wash it away.  We (Bloke and I) noticed the crown of the Maple tree across the street is damaged and a bit burnt.  It really shows up against the sheen of green right now.  We are surrounded by Maples here.  They really seem to draw lightening when we do have storms.

I recall that one of my cousins has an allergy to onions, wish I could remember which one though!  Up until we started chatting here I never knew anyone else who couldn`t have them.  My youngest son is a bit different.  He loves the taste of onions and garlic but he can`t stand the texture.  I get around that by blending them (works particularly nice for potato soup) or just straining the broth for his servings.  My oldest has allergies to fresh mushrooms, but no problems with canned.  The processing removes the enzymes he`s allergic to.  It's good that Skywise can still have the onion powder, at least that way y'all still have some of the health benefits of the onions. 

I`ve been puttering today and forgot to oput the coffee in the caref Sad . I think it calls for a fresh pot of Java!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #968 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:44pm

I should be around most of the day. We have to go into town but we'll be back by noon local.

The lights have stabilized. There's a lot of flooding along the river and that might have something to do with it.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:53pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #969 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:52pm

Snow: BARF!!!! I was like that too until I hit about 30 or so, I loved onions but hated the texture of them. I can eat them raw now, no problems. I love garlic too and put a ton of it in my pasta sauce.

Our area is too hilly for huge floods and I'm grateful for it. Some of te lower lying areas around here have flooded but nothing like y'all do out in the center of the continent. We're at the northernmost reaches of the Appalachians so even though our "mountains" are small compared to the ones along the west coast, they're enough to keep most flooding at bay along the South Shore, thank the gods!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #970 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:17pm

We are in that part of Indiana where it just starts to get hilly. Technically, we're the uplands of the Appalachians so the only places that flood are along the rivers and large creeks. This house is on some of the highest real estate in the county so we don't worry about flooding. The only problem is when the roads get flooded!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #971 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:25pm

Everyone else's basement around here will flood while ours stays nice and dry. Our house is up on a slight hill compared to the rest of the neighborhood. Cheesy

Even with the basements flooding sometimes, our road very rarely gets flooded... The creek just down the road from us is well below road level and the bridge over it is rather high... Now in town, sometimes the mall floods because the river is narrowed right where it is, and it's right on water level. Some "bright" designer thought a mall RIGHT ON a river would be smart. Yeah, RIGHT........ Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #972 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:01pm

They put a huge shopping center on our major flood plain here about 7 years ago.  They even technically moved our main Fire Station onto the flood plain as well, on the edge of it.  Roll Eyes  We have some of those "bright" designers and planners here too  Shocked  Our house is luckily situated. We border a few places that can flood badly when there's torrential rains but nothing's touched this place. 

When there was bad flooding in this area a couple years back it actually did take out the cable company's main trunk and left many people without tv, phone and internet and some still are getting crappy service.  They're still in the process of repairs and building in back-ups.  I can see where flooding could affect your power out there.

They are putting up super sandbags here on our main routes by the river as a precaution.  We took some pictures on the weekend. 

On a more cheerful note I had a purty cute hungry little visitor when I went out back to get some fresh thyme for the stew!  The neighbour across the back has a Calico.  (She's mainly white with a few colour patches but technically a Calico Smiley )  She was waiting for me when I opened the door and started chattering away!  The Bloke said she's come to visit him before but this is the first time she's come to see me.  I assume she was telling me all about the bird she'd just enjoyed as there was a big splodge of feathers beside the path.  Cheeky little thing!  Made my day!
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:03pm by Ravens Tears »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #973 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:11pm

Whoever decided the mall was going to go on the river deliberately narrowed the river so they could put it there. That means if there is ice build up or a sudden downflow of water from higher up on that river, the mall floods. Before things got moved around a bit in it, the one bar was on the side of the mall facing the river and it flooded a LOT, notably the one year in recent times the river was choked up with ice and all. Even the stores on the road side of the mall got a little water that year. Of course with Zellers gone and everything moving up to where WalMart is, the mall is just about dead. Even the large grocery store will be moving up by WalMart sometime soon and almost everything else will be following at some point.

Aww.... KITTY! Ours went off for a nappy a bit ago but I was pretty much moving her off of the monitor every single time I moved away from the computer this afternoon. She's looking for snuggle time and she'll be getting it very soon. I'm half wonky and if I want to be able to write tomorrow, I have to rest my eyes AWAY from the computer for more than 2 hours before I go to bed...

Smiley is on tonight... Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:18pm by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #974 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:22pm

Lols! 

I really should dl a few episodes.  I've only seen it when I'm visiting Mom.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 
Send TopicPrint