Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe (Read 14169 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe
Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 2:42am:
I'm toying with the idea of lowering the neckline of the dress a bit. I really like the amount of "exposure" the dress below provides but I'm not sure how much the original neckline will give me. There is a "muslin practice top" in my future I do believe....

Well, I just got both patterns out, cut out the front section of each one and lined up the "waistline" markings and the dresses are EXACTLY the same as far as "exposure" is concerned. The apparent difference must be due to the dresses being worn by different models, wearing different foundations and most likely with different sized "endowments." So, making up a "front" pattern piece that is a merger of both won't be necessary. I'll just have to be sure to wear a good underwire/pushup bra with it....  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:15pm by Penthesilea »  

b6195_001.jpg ( 45 KB | Downloads )
b6195_001.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:03am
Print Post  
I just managed to pry the tracking information on the silver trim I ordered from Wholeport out of the Chinese shipping company's website. My trim is still in China. *sigh* It is NOT the shipping option I would have chosen given a choice.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:20am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:03am:
I just managed to pry the tracking information on the silver trim I ordered from Wholeport out of the Chinese shipping company's website. My trim is still in China. *sigh* It is NOT the shipping option I would have chosen given a choice.

And it is STILL in Beijing according to the tracking.

In other news.....
VICTORY!! A partial one anyway. I checked back on the JoAnn's site (I have that brocade bookmarked) and they had some! Smiley Only four yards but I snapped it up! I'll keep watching and waiting for more to show up. I need a minimum of 8.5 yards but if I can't get it in one continuous piece, I'll aim for 10 yards so I have enough in big enough pieces. I may get more than that if I can to use for another project but that's not as critical as getting enough for the dress..... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I'm currently transcribing the sewing instructions for this dress into a word document. I know that I'm going to have to expand them a bit, especially the skirt since I intend to add what is essentially a built in slip to it, so the first step is to copy the instructions. That way I'll know where I need to sit down and puzzle out exactly what is supposed to be done. I have a couple of very good sewing books around here that were my bibles when I was making my wedding dress. I haven't made anything that complex since until now and my memory needs to be refreshed.

I found some buttons today. They're plastic but they'll do if I can't find anything I like better. I also picked up some metallic silver thread. Walmart had no tissue lame so getting that will have to wait. I just hope that more brocade shows up. I want to get another 6 yards and 8 would be better.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Okay, Skywise is my hero - again! I've been up at the Guest House this morning looking for the above mentioned books. I called them up on amazon to show him what they looked like and he was able to find one of them downstairs. One down, one to go!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 4:46am
Print Post  
As I suspected, the skirt on this dress (McCall's 3681) is gonna be a pain in the booty. Alterations may need to be made and extra pieces cut if it is put together like it currently seems to be. Fortunately, I can get more black taffeta without too much difficulty....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Athena (in her "sewing/craft" aspect) is with me! Just as we were getting ready to leave, I checked the Joann's website and they had another 4 yards of brocade! Do I need to tell you that I snapped it up? Didn't think so!! I now have enough on order to make "the dress."  Smiley I'm going to keep checking back 'cause I have a pattern for an Oriental-styled lounging robe I'd like to make out of this brocade as well......

I went over the assembly instructions last night and my suspicions were confirmed so I just now ordered additional taffeta so I can make the dress as it is supposed to be made and not the way it was designed for home sewers of moderate sewing experience. I'll be modifying the assembly instructions this afternoon. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
There! The new assembly instructions are roughed in for the three layers that will comprise the skirt. Smiley I have 33 steps listed so far (that's just the skirt, by the way) and I still have to write the instructions for hemming the lining and the underskirt. The lining "should" be pretty straightforward but the underskirt could be a bit tricky. I am DEFINITELY going to need to make a dress form when the time comes and get Skywise to help with pinning up the hems on the underskirt and the lining since the lining should be a bit shorter than the underskirt and the underskirt needs to be longer than the overskirt and NONE of them should drag the ground! The back length of the skirt is 43 inches and that might be a tad long. A lot will depend on how much I manage to shrink my booty between now and then! It's also been a while since I used horsehair braid and this design requires it so I need to bone up on it. That or a VERY stiff petticoat. Otherwise the weight of the three layers will make the skirt too heavy to stand away from the body which it needs to do, just a bit. Personally, with a three layer skirt, I vote for the braid!
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2013 at 6:33pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Figured out how I want the choker that goes with this dress to look and I actually found the "drop" that I need to add to the component that I already have to complete the focal point of the piece. I'll need to get it, some aluminum chain (since I don't want to worry about tarnish) and two small red faceted teardrops. I may go ahead and make it since the dress is the reward, not the accessories....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Well, I've done about all the preliminary work on this that I can until I'm ready to start sewing. I still need to finish the instructions -- which I'll do when the blasted book I need to consult turns up -- and I'm waiting delivery for the fabric and trim I've ordered but I've pretty much reached the point where it's time to alter patterns and cut fabric and I won't be doing that until I've dumped some of the sand out of my hourglass figure. I told Skywise this morning that his assistance in pinning up the hem on the "test skirt" would be needed when the time comes and he's agreeable -- knew he would be -- so it's time to switch from talking about sewing to talking about working out and losing weight and that's another thread in another forum area......  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Post # 29,876
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2013 at 2:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 2:53am
Print Post  
I sulk!

Not only is my lace STILL in Beijing, all three of my orders from Joann's are "processing."  Smiley I didn't expect what I ordered on Saturday to be on the way but I did think that the first order which I made on the 15th would be on the way before the end of last week. *snark* Good thing I don't have a deadline looming here.....
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2013 at 2:55am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
STILL waiting for fabric and trims to arrive. I've been spoiled by Amazon and other vendors who take customer service seriously.

On the plus side, I picked up more buttons for the dress. I'll decide which ones to use when the time comes since I STILL *ahem* don't have the fabric that they'll be sewn onto. I've figured out how to solve the "hand wash only", "machine wash, do not dry clean" problem with buttons. Before I take the dress in for dry cleaning, I'll take the buttons off, mark the spots where they go with a sturdy loop of thread and then put them back on when I get the dress back. It's a bit of work but worth it to avoid the whole "what will happen to the buttons when they're dry cleaned?" question.

Post 29,900 Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #37 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
If it works, it works, even if it's a little more work is right!

I can't sew my way out of a sopping wet paper bag.....

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I started doing serious sewing when I was ten, so I've been at it for a while! LOL

My Jo-Ann's orders are still "processing" but my lace order "apparently" arrived in the US, Ohare International Airport in Chicago to be exact, yesterday. Hopefully, it will get through customs promptly and be dispatched southward with a service that can actually find the place...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
THE TRIM HAS ARRIVED!!

Once it got into the country, it was passed to the Postal Service who got it here pronto.

It's darker than I expected it to be from the picture but testing it against my black jeans, it still shows up nicely and will likely be more compatible with the silver threads in the brocade.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I went back and looked and some comparable trim that was sold out before was back in stock so I ordered some. When I eventually get the brocade (my orders are STILL processing!  Smiley ) I'll be able to compare the two to it and see which one is likely to work the best. The other will go in my "Trim and Notions" cache (along with whatever is left of the "chosen" trim) to await another project of which I seem to have no shortage. Maybe one of my dance outfits.... Smiley

This is what I got: http://www.simplicity.com/images/variant/large/1862042070.jpg
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:03pm by Penthesilea »  

1862042_2.jpg ( 79 KB | Downloads )
1862042_2.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Two of my three Jo-Ann orders have shipped -- one order of brocade and the taffeta. The brocade is supposed to be 4 yards but the notification listed 3 so I may have to do some adjusting. I'm hoping that it's a mistake. I have a second order of brocade coming that hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully, it will be the full 4 yards that I ordered.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I fired off an email right after my last post. No response yet and no sign of my second order of brocade being shipped. Jo-Ann's had better come through or I'm gonna be an unhappy girl.  Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:55am
Print Post  
It's beginning to look like 3 yards of the brocade is all I'm going to get. That's not confirmed yet but I'm getting that feeling from the emails I'm getting. Smiley If that turns out to be the case, I'll be giving up on the active brocade search for now and just keep an eye on Jo-Ann's website in case it is restocked. It's not like I'm going to drop 60 pounds by next week. Not without liposuction anyway! If it's restocked, I'll make a beeline for the store in Greenwood and get it there... maybe 12 or 16 yards so I KNOW I have enough....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I hate it when I'm right about something like this. *sigh*
Jo-Ann's cancelled my second order for brocade this morning. At least they're saying it is "out of stock" rather than "discontinued" so I'm going to keep checking back in case they restock it. If they do, as previously mentioned, I'll be making a beeline for the Greenwood store. No more ordering from them online if I can help it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
The brocade just arrived. It is so gorgeous I could cry. NOW if I just had another 5 yards of it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Athena favors me!

I just completely unfolded the brocade to measure it. They sent me two pieces.
One is three inches short of 3 yards.
The other is a touch over 2 yards. The total yardage is a bit under FIVE yards.
They charged me for 3 yards.... Smiley

So even if I can't get another 3 yards I DO have enough to make the robe in the illustration below....

B4406_cropped_001.png ( 167 KB | Downloads )
B4406_cropped_001.png

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #47 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Heh, BONUS! That's awesome Penth! Cheesy

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I'm taking it as a good sign.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I got the brocade out for the last time for a while just now -- the stuff ravels like "heck" and the more it's handled the more it will ravel -- and made some decisions. The "dark silver" lace I got exactly matches the brocade, which means that if you're more than a foot away from it, it disappears. So. I'll be going with the "bright silver" which shows up better. I'm also pretty sure that I'm going with the buttons with the "pearl" centers [Photo below] since the others also disappear into the pattern of the brocade. The black lace I have to border the opening in the overskirt will still be backed by bright silver for the same reason -- visibility. I've decided that the seam allowances in the overskirt are, in addition to being zig-zagged down the raw edges and having a quarter of an inch turned under and stitched will be completely encased in some of the extra wide (1/2 inch) double fold metallic silver bias tape I finally managed to find. Too bad I can't find metallic silver hem tape. I'll have to use a non-metallic silver gray, I guess. The wrong side of the brocade is STUNNINGLY metallic silver and black hem tape/lace would be really noticeable if it should be seen. I've been getting black hem "lace" but with a pure black underskirt and lining to hem, it won't go to waste!
I officially have one inch less than five yards and I need a minimum of 8 to make the dress so I'm petitioning the Universe in general and Athena in particular to turn up some more of this brocade for me to buy, preferably in person so I don't have to mess with online ordering!

0007516010068_180X180.jpg ( 9 KB | Downloads )
0007516010068_180X180.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint