Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe (Read 14170 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe
Reply #50 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Okay, they got the tracking on the taffeta straightened out and I was able to locate it. It was handed off by UPS to the Postal Service this morning and it sits in the Martinsville Post Office as I type. So... it will arrive via letter carrier tomorrow and I'll be done waiting for packages from Jo-Ann's. I really hope that the brocade gets restocked soon 'cause I REALLY love it and want MORE!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
The taffeta was delivered today so that's out of the way and Walmart has the fabric I want for the lining for the dress (not using "traditional" lining) and I'll be getting that pretty soon. Today I found two sets of instructions for making a DIY Dress Form out of basically, duct tape along with a few other odds and ends from the hardware department. You can manage without a dress form when you're making blouses and pants and even skirts if you have someone to help you mark the hem but for "special occasion" dresses, you need a dress form. I've been looking at what's available and I gotta tell ya, those things are expensive! Add to that, the fact that since I hit puberty I've normally been one size above the waist and a different size below it. Not only can this be a problem when buying clothes, it's a problem when making them. This is a fairly common problem which is why "separates" are so popular. The makers of dress forms, however, don't seem to have gotten the memo. I didn't find one that I would be able to adjust enough to accommodate the size(s) I currently am or the one I want to be. If I were to buy a ready made form, I'd have to buy two -- one for the upper story and one for the lower. Given the prices of these things, that prospect was enough to make my teeth fall out (figuratively speaking). So doing it myself is the only viable option. I'm not going to start making one until I've dumped some of the sand in my hourglass figure but I'll study the instructions in the meantime and maybe try a few embellishments of my own....
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Thinking that I'm going to need to use a man's teeshirt to make the dress form. The bottom of the shirt needs to extend below the widest part of the hips and most women's shirts I've encountered don't do that. I'm also going to need to make a form with at least partial sleeves and a high neck so I need to apply some thought to that. Getting out of a duct tape bodysuit with partial sleeves could be interesting.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 12:26am
Print Post  
THANKS BE TO ST. ANTHONY FOR FAVORS GRANTED!!

I just now found my missing sewing book in the basement! I am content even though I still have to find my book of vampire blood rituals and Kaldera's book on pagan handfastings! For now, the digging through dusty piles of books is over! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Post #30,000 Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2013 at 7:57pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I'm still indecently pleased to have found that book! Smiley I've already started figuring out how I want to do my duct tape "Body Double" and I'm making notes so I don't forget my ideas and "solutions to problems" when it comes time to make it.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:06pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I pretty much filled in all the instructions for the Body Double last night -- or at least it is as filled in as it's going to get before Skywise and I start making a duct tape mummy out of me! -- so that bit of business is out of the way. Since I found the "fancy" sewing book I was looking for, I can now research the "couture" sewing techniques I'll need for that "special" dress. Not to mention the rest of the new clothes I'm going to need once I have the killer body of my dreams....

I picked up more of the fabric I'll be using to make the lining of my "reward dress" and with what I already have, I have enough. NOW all I need to do is obtain another 3 yards, 4 would be better, of that brocade to make it! I will be speaking to the Universe in general and Athena in particular about making that happen. I'll use something else if I have to but I haven't found anything else during my searches that I love as much as I do this particular pattern. At least I have time. Losing sixty pounds in a hurry wouldn't be healthy and the result probably wouldn't be all that aesthetically pleasing since skin doesn't "shrink to fit" as enthusiastically -- and quickly -- as wet denim does!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 3:39am
Print Post  
The pattern calls for a hem an inch and a quarter deep and since it's a gored skirt with a curved hem, I'm wondering if I could make it a bit narrower. I "could" make a facing for the hem but that would take material that I don't have, for the overskirt anyway. I have plenty of fabric for the underskirt and lining. I know I'm probably going to have to shorten the skirt -- a 43 inch "back length" is a tad long for me -- so I'm already planning to make a "test dress" probably out of muslin or maybe something a bit heavier but not too much so. The top will probably need a "test" too since I expect to be one dress size through the chest and another through the waist.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
After careful consideration and research, I've decided that  hem facings for this dress is the way to go. It's more work -- I'll have to make the patterns for the facing pieces -- and will require more material but it will be a LOT easier on my sweet disposition! Trying to ease in fullness in a hem so it is even and DOESN'T "show" on the right side requires the patience of at least a couple of saints and I've never been THAT patient! So I'll add the instructions for making the facing patterns in the assembly instructions along with the directions for putting them in and that question will be answered. NOW all I need is more brocade......
And to lose 60 pounds.... *sigh*
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2013 at 7:04pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I'm going to have to research shortening gored skirts and making a sloper pattern and a "test garment" is gonna be a given. Guess I'd better locate a source for the kind of tissue paper you make patterns out of as it's not the sort of stuff one can normally find at Walmart.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I found the paper that's normally used for DIY clothing patterns on amazon and I'll be getting some when I'm ready to start making/altering patterns. It's not the sort of thing that will disappear.

We were in Rural King this afternoon and I found a piece of PVC pipe, precut, that I can use for my Body Double so I went ahead and got it. For a project like this, I'll getting the supplies a few at a time to spread the cost out, especially if what you need is on sale. I'm going to need a lot (5 big rolls more or less) of duct tape and that normally isn't cheap and probably more fiberfill than the gals who wrote the blogs did. Oh well, one thing about fiberfill -- it's a good thing to have on hand....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I stopped to look at duct tape at Walmart this morning. The tape in the "crafts" section is about a dollar more a roll than the tape in the hardware section. Methinks I'll be getting my tape in the hardware section which does have a nice selection of colors and designs. Buying enough to wrap my torso three layers deep is gonna be pricey though. I'm going to decide what color or pattern I want to use and start buying a roll every once in a while to spread the cost out. Right now, I'm leaning toward metallic silver which is called "chrome" but "frugal me" knows I'm going to put a fabric cover -- probably a long tailed teeshirt -- over the finished Body Double so whatever I use will be hidden so I "should" use the standard "dull silver" which I can get enormous rolls of at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 4:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #61 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I'm expecting a new "specialized" sewing book today but it's probably not going to get here until tomorrow. Poo! It's about, among other things, decorating clothing with intricate beading including beaded fringe trims. I've done some decorative beading but it was very simple. I'm hoping this book will give me ideas and, with practice, the skill set to execute them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Iz happy! I got my book!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I've learned everything I can about McCall's 3681 that I can before I start making test garments and alterations which won't be until I've reduced the "sand in my hourglass" to a level I find acceptable. So I've put the pattern in the box with the fabrics, trims and whatnot I've collected to wait until I'm ready for it. The matter of finding enough of that pattern of brocade is still up in the air and I'm thinking of some extra trim to use on the sleeves but basically, I'm done talking about it until I'm ready to start making it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I managed to find a copy of the pattern with the larger sizes in it and I got it which eliminates one potential problem. It is, as a rule, easier to reduce a larger size than to enlarge a smaller one. I don't know what my sizes are going to be when I'm done losing weight but now I'm covered as far as larger sizes are concerned since this pattern goes up a size larger than I am now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
SUCCESS!!!

As previously mentioned, I wasn't able to get all the brocade I needed for the dress. Last weekend, more (2 yards) became available and I ordered it while telling Uni that I REALLY needed at least 3 yards and in long pieces. The order went through and I got it today. The package contained two pieces of the brocade. One is 63 inches long and the other is 64 inches which totals a tad over 3.5 yards. These two pieces combined with what I already have "should" give me enough fabric although I'll need to get the pattern pieces cut out and laid on the fabric itself to be sure. But I "do" have 8.5 yards now, in four pieces so I "should" have enough. If more becomes available, be assured that I'll order it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I decided on a "dull silver" duct tape for my body double. Being able to get a 45 yard roll of it for only a bit more than I'd pay for a 15 yard roll of the "designer" tape made up my mind. Three of these 45 yard rolls should be plenty and if I want to "embellish" my Body Double with something "decorative"  Smiley once its done, I'll be able to do so at a nominal cost.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Thoroughly bummed. No, actually, "bummed" doesn't begin to cover it...

Because my eight plus yards of brocade is cut in various sized pieces, I lack about a yard of having enough to make the dress.  Cry
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2013 at 9:20pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #68 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
DRAT!!! Undecided

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 2:06am
Print Post  
I haven't given up. I'm checking Joann's (which is the ONLY place that I've found it for sale) several times a day in case more fabric shows up and I've decided that if I can manage to get the weight off, I can figure out a way to make this dress whether I am able to get more brocade or not. Making the "oversleeve" in black taffeta (of which I have plenty) and setting it apart with trim of some sort is definitely a possibility. It's also possible that rearranging the layout (while making sure that the design goes in the same direction on ALL the pieces!) could solve my problem but finding that out will require a longer stint at the layout table than I can manage right now.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2013 at 2:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #70 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I've been thinking about what I can do in case I can't get more brocade and I've decided what I can do that will be acceptable -- to me, at least -- although I'm not going to give up on my original "vision" until I have to.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Iz happy. While I was offline due to the rain, I cleared off the bed, got the brocade and the pattern out and got to work. The result is that I DO have enough of the brocade to make the dress as originally envisioned. I'll have to completely redo the "layout" but I have enough with a little left over. I probably don't have enough to make the hem facings out of the brocade but I've already figured out that since the wrong side of the brocade is practically solid silver, I can make the hem facings out of silver-gray taffeta and that will work just fine and not be glaringly noticeable. I have four pieces of the brocade so I measured them and worked until I could lay out all the pieces that need to be cut from it. I made notes and "just in case", I folded the individual pieces up in the piece of brocade they will be cut out of. I won't need the pieces themselves until it's time to make the "test dress" so with the fabric in a XXL Ziploc storage bag AND in a plastic storage box, they'll be perfectly safe and available in case I need to check the new layout while I'm drawing (cutting and pasting actually) it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Thinking about embellishments beyond what the pattern requires for the top and I've come to the conclusion those are not decisions I can make until the top is nearly finished. Fortunately, things like adding bead accents can be done at the very last. Methinks I'll be making the skirt first. It is much less complicated design wise and I'm not expecting it to need any trim beyond what the design calls for. Of course, if the pattern on the brocade needs a "break" of some sort at the seams -- which could happen since it has a pretty definite pattern running in one direction -- that could change.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Iz happy! I ordered this mask to go with the dress and according to USPS tracking, I could get it tomorrow -- the package has cleared the Indianapolis Post Office -- or Saturday at the latest. I'm also looking for components to make a choker to go with it. Yeah, Penth is going "whole hog" with this outfit...

Post # 30,300

Mardi_Gras_1.jpg ( 72 KB | Downloads )
Mardi_Gras_1.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
According to USPS tracking, I'll get my mask today. And last night I found clear, simple instructions on how to make the kind of drawstring bag I want to go with the dress. So... iz happy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint