Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe (Read 14027 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Lady Keyholder's Wardrobe
Reply #75 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
It has arrived and it is beautiful.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #76 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
YAY!!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I'm going to have to move one of the ribbon ties to a better location and gently shape it to my face but both Skywise and Moonie approve of it. Which is good since I can't see myself in the mirror while I'm wearing it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Well, I just checked the Joann's site to see if more of this brocade had turned up and the page has been taken down so what I got is all I'm going to get -- unless someone drops Star Trek style replicators in humanity's collective laps. Fortunately, I have barely enough and if I'm careful, I should do okay. Still wish I could get more. Maybe someday....

brocade.jpg ( 95 KB | Downloads )
brocade.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I just ordered this to wear with the dress. I don't know how good the workmanship is on it but the "stones" and chain alone are worth what I paid and since I used credit card "bonus points" it didn't cost anything.

71WzL0WDInL__SY395_.jpg ( 19 KB | Downloads )
71WzL0WDInL__SY395_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 5:44am
Print Post  
It looks like I'll get the above necklace tomorrow. It FINALLY showed up on "tracking" on the 2nd, made it to Indianapolis this evening (the 3rd) and departed the main plant at 8:35 pm. It "should" be out for delivery tomorrow which is good 'cause we'll be home so I can SIGN for the darn thing! I'll let you know if it really is as gorgeous as it looks tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I've checked and the necklace is "out for delivery" so it should be here this afternoon. I'm gonna need a "pick me up". Today I make out the checks for the property taxes which I'll be doing as soon as I'm awake enough!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
The necklace arrived as promised and I've been fiddling with it. Some of the chains were tangled in assembly so I fixed that and now I'm working on correcting some minor design flaws. I'm also replacing the black chains with silver and the "antique bronze" split rings will be replaced with silver ones as soon as I can get some of the proper size which hopefully will be tomorrow.

In other news, I now have McCall's M4745 in all available sizes which means I can outfit any adult male that falls into my clutches as either a DarkLord or a member of the Valcarian Army. The Confederate uniform is the basis for the Order's full dress uniform which is still in the design stages and the Union uniform is the basis for the Army's full dress uniform which is also still in the design stages. Now all I need is a sworn member of the Order of Dark Knights to outfit. Skywise might get drafted into the Army if I can talk him into it.....

M4745.jpg ( 34 KB | Downloads )
M4745.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I've finished fiddling with the necklace. As it turned out, tangled chains were the least of the problems. Whoever assembled it failed to follow the assembly instructions as I discovered when I compared it to the picture. I got a package of split rings of the appropriate size and finally got it looking like the photo. I'm still thinking of trying to make the gem settings silver but I don't have the right paint at the moment so that's going to wait. The clasp/fastener needs to be replaced too. I currently have it mounted on the kind of foam head that's used to display wigs along with the Mardi Gras mask I got earlier and I must say that they go together beautifully and together they might even make me look good! (I definitely have to find out about contact lenses so I can see while I'm wearing it!) I still have to make a stand for the head so it will stay upright and stable and once that's done, I'll see about taking a picture so you can see what I mean. And I haven't forgotten that I promised you pictures of my dancing shoes. Now that I have the workstation I can set them up and take the pictures since Skywise does NOT use the workstation as a place to set up his chessboard.....

Post #31,000
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I'm expecting some jewelry findings today that will let me experiment with different closures for the previously mentioned necklace. It currently has a "lobster claw" clasp which is very difficult for me to fasten. Moonie even had trouble with it when I asked her to help. So I'm gonna fool with it and see what I can come up with. I'm also looking for some tiny red rhinestones that I can use to create the illusion of "something" from a distance.  Smiley Things are shaping up nicely...

Yes, I'm an Evil Woman and proud of it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Old hardware off and new hardware on the necklace. Now I need to root around in my craft supplies and see if I have suitable chain in the right color (bright silver). I don't think that I do so I'll be checking out the offerings at Jo-Ann's tomorrow. The chain will also need a little "something" at the loose end --- a bit of red bling or a charm of some sort. Bat? Dragon? Either would do.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Found exactly what I wanted in the way of tiny red rhinestones....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 1:58am
Print Post  
And the stand that I needed for my "Body Double" -- when I make it -- will arrive tomorrow. Since in "real life" it is a Christmas tree stand this is the only time of year when I can be sure to find one. Fortunately I found EXACTLY what I wanted on amazon at a reasonable price. I went online since the local Walmart was cleaned out of stands. So when the time comes for me to be wrapped up like a mummy in duct tape, I'll be ready for the later stages of the process.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:25am
Print Post  
The stand arrived, is assembled and tested. In order to be as stable as I want it to be I'm going to have to attached a bigger piece of PCV pipe to the pole that I already have. Fortunately, I have a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe that's long enough for that. I only need about a piece that's about 4 or 5 inches long and this piece is about 6 so all I need is a connector and I'm in business.

I made it to Jo-Ann's today and got a load of odds and ends. Needles, a bone folder, silver chain and -- YES! -- metallic leaf paint so I'm all set to paint the "jewel" pendants on my necklace. That project will have to wait until spring too -- fumes, use in well ventilated area, you know the drill -- but given I was having a hell of a time finding exactly what I needed I went ahead and got it. It'll keep until I can use it.

I got more wood for candlestick bases and I've come to the conclusion that unless I buy some expensive wood working equipment and make my own bases, my design isn't going to work. The circular bases I've been getting are "out of round" by an eighth of an inch on average, sometimes more and on something like this, it shows. Glaringly. So the bases will be shorter and not as wide but they should still be stable enough if none of the cats, especially SUNLORD, doesn't decide to rub up against them!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 2:21am
Print Post  
I've taken my one white rose, surrounded it with my six black roses and used a long twist tie to bind them together temporarily to see how it looks and I must say it looks very good. All I need is the six blood/bright red roses to complete the design. Then I'll wrap the stems in florist tape, ribbon and bling and that prop will be done. Walmart has nothing and I didn't see anything at Jo-Ann's that suited me so I'm thinking Hobby Lobby, where I got the white rose, is my best bet. I'm willing to take my time to find the exact shade of red that I want and that could take some time but I'm hopeful that with the St. Valentine's stuff coming out, bright red roses will be easier to be find.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:50pm:
Old hardware off and new hardware on the necklace. Now I need to root around in my craft supplies and see if I have suitable chain in the right color (bright silver). I don't think that I do so I'll be checking out the offerings at Jo-Ann's tomorrow. The chain will also need a little "something" at the loose end --- a bit of red bling or a charm of some sort. Bat? Dragon? Either would do.....

Been fooling with the necklace tonight. I'd like it to be a bit tighter but I don't see how to do it without cutting the lace. It's supposed to be a choker but it doesn't feel snug enough to me. The ends are practically touching so I can't take up any slack there. I might have to remake the thing with new lace but I'd prefer not having to do that. Time for more thinking...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:31pm:
Found exactly what I wanted in the way of tiny red rhinestones....

They arrived today and they are gorgeous little things...
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:34am by Penthesilea »  

61elzhCWKUL__SL1500_.jpg ( 108 KB | Downloads )
61elzhCWKUL__SL1500_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
"The Dress" needs something to wear over it when it's chilly and I've found the perfect thing! "This" done up in black velvet. I haven't decided if the lightweight satin lining should be red or silver gray. There's an illustration of a variation done in those colors that I'll post next.

M5957.jpg ( 50 KB | Downloads )
M5957.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Here's the "black with red lining". I'm of two minds about it. I love red and black but it might be "too much" for this.

M5957-1.jpg ( 22 KB | Downloads )
M5957-1.jpg

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #94 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I think the red is too much. Silver would probably be better.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I agree. A soft but shimmery silver gray would be best since I'm striving for "elegant" rather than "Halloween" although I think that "someone else" could probably pull it off...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
The cape pattern arrived a couple of days ago. I'll need eight yards of velvet for it and three and a quarter of the satin for the lining. Just the hood and sleeves are lined so that's why it's less. There's also an option for fake fur trim that I haven't decided about yet.  I could do that, use an embroidered trim in black and silver or leave it plain. Right now, I'm leaning toward "plain". I can always embellish it later....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I bought this pattern today: McCall's M7217.
It's for "cosplay" and no way in hell does my body look that good but I've learned from experience that somewhere down the road I'll need a pattern, it will be out of print and hideously expensive if I can even find it! So, I bought all the available sizes.... Yes, I'm broke....
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2015 at 6:32pm by Penthesilea »  

M7217-3.jpg ( 53 KB | Downloads )
M7217-3.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Another view.