Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Kitchen Workstation (Read 2080 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

The Kitchen Workstation
Sep 26th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Okay, I'm going to be babbling about this while I build it and I don't want to fill up the "What's Happenin'?" threads like I did with last year's projects so this project will have its own thread. As noted elsewhere, I got the last two base cabinets that I needed from Home Depot yesterday so I have 2 "N" units and one "U" unit sitting in position in the middle of my none too vast kitchen floor. I've already determined that the combined units are a faction longer than 48 inches. Fortunately, the piece of wood I already have is a bigger fraction longer than 48 inches one way so I'm spared having to figure out which one of a number of ways to add a fraction of an inch to a piece of wood would be best to use. The other dimension isn't a problem -- to do what I want, I just need to cut it to 39 inches.
Something else I'll need to do is add some additional pieces in the back of the units. The "U" unit is about -- haven't measured exactly yet -- 35 inches wide inside. A shelf spanning that entire distance is going to sag (under its own weight if nothing else) without support in the middle and the unit has no provision for that. So before just about anything else, I'm going to have to add a piece running from the top to the bottom to which I can attach blocks of wood to support a shelf in the middle. Fortunately, I have a piece of wood the right size that will only need to be cut to length. I'm going to need some minor hardware but I can pick that up at Walmart if they've restocked it. The smaller units also need a bit of wood added. The cabinet frames are sturdy enough but the back part that you see when you look inside is about 1/8 of an inch thick and naturally, it bows. This annoys me so I'll be putting pieces of 3/4 inch square dowels across the backs of the "N" units to correct that problem.
I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to finish the cabinets and that part of the project will probably wait until spring. Fumes of some sort will be involved and nosy felines will need to be outside for extended periods while "whatever" dries enough not to pick up stray cat hair and it's getting late in the year for that. So, I'll have the winter to think about it. The top is going to be covered with ceramic tile -- heatproof and easy to clean -- and I'll have to see what's available. I know it comes in 12 inch and 16 inch squares but I'm going to need some odd sized pieces or to make some other arrangements since the top's dimensions aren't even multiples of 12 or 16. Smiley
Pictures will be forthcoming as I have them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Kitchen Workstation
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Work proceeds on the workstation. I've put the braces on the back of each of the small units so the backs don't pooch out and I'm currently taking a break from filing the shelf support for the large unit down to size with a wood rasp. From the sound of things, our next door neighbor is hard at work too. He has a wood shop to die for and one I'd want if I did this sort of thing on a regular basis.

Post # 30,321
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2013 at 8:13pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Kitchen Workstation
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2013 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The two small units are connected so the fronts are flush, the back brace on the big unit is on and all three of them are lined up with screws holding them in position. It's entirely possible that those screws won't hold. I should know in a day or so and if they don't, I'll go to "Plan B" which involves screws with NUTS. I've laid a couple of wide boards on top of the whole thing so it's mostly covered if a nosy cat decides to jump up and see what the deal is.

And before I put everything away, I started work on the tabletop book stand for the master cookbook's binder. I've got the book support glued and clamped to the back and I'll put two or three screws in it for extra strength when it's good and dry. When that's done, I'll tackle the problem of the "feet" for it. Should be interesting getting the angle just right for reading.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint