Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16352 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Mar 4th, 2014 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Okay, a few years back, I was checking out Live Action Roleplaying, "Fantasy Division" and found that there were too many obstacles to participating, not the least of which was expense (participating in NERO games runs into serious money), distance (the IFGS operates out west and not this far east last I looked) and that the rules many times tended to be cumbersome in the extreme. I was poking around in my LARP bookmarks and deleting dead links (LOTS of those) and decided to check out my all time favorite tabletop roleplaying system and LO! When I wasn't looking, they developed a SUPERHERO LIVE ACTION ROLEPLAYING GAME!!

Yes, I broke the sound barrier getting out my plastic and I'm now eagerly awaiting delivery of my rulebook! Details as they become available!

DEFINITELY gonna have to get a "spandex worthy" body going here....
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014 at 12:14am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 2:50am
Print Post  
"Champions: The Live Action Roleplaying Game" arrived today. It's a small tome [6 by 9 inches and 154 pages] that gives you the bare bones to get started playing. It mentions things like props and weapons [since some superheroes use them, Green Arrow and Hawkeye are examples and most agents/minions are armed in some way] but doesn't give instructions for constructing safe weapons or on how to modify toy store finds for use in a game. I suspected that might be the case so I've been downloading PDFs of the rule books of those LARP games I can find online to see how they do it. Fortunately, "boffer weapon" construction is pretty standardized so I can put together a "construction manual" for my own use that should be compatible with the "industry standard." I think that the post/ongoing zombie apocalypse LARP that I ran across has rules for using NERF weapons so I'll be checking them out too. I've got a copy of the extremely rare STAR WARS LARP that I'll be digging up and culling for information.  The Champions LARP is also somewhat light on "rules" so that would have to be addressed before starting up a game. After I've finished reading it, I'm going to post on the HERO Fan Group facebook page to see if anyone there has experience with it. It came out in 2012 so there "should" be someone out there who's played it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 5:52am
Print Post  
I am currently trying to figure out how one can have a "classic" superhero brawl when "physical contact" is forbidden. Either I'm missing something or the authors dropped the ball on this one 'cause they DO mention it. Personally, I've seen too many superheroes go toe-to-toe (especially the "super" martial artists) with the villains to see how they can cut out "close quarters combat."

Must keep reading.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 4:21am
Print Post  
I've been poking around facebook tonight and it looks like the Indiana chapter of NERO might be on "life-support." If so, that means that only "Dystopia Rising" (a post zombie apocalypse game) is the only LARP in the southern half of Indiana. There's a "full contact" combat game that operates out of Indianapolis (name escapes me at the moment) but they don't do a lot of roleplaying which is what I'd like to do since running around whacking people with swords, while attractive, isn't something I can do with my knees the way they are. I'd need to be a Non-Player Character [supporting cast] and/or costumer and/or propmaker. Guess I'm going to have to keep an eye on the situation.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I've found another LARP, this one headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was able to get a decent deal on the rulebook so I've ordered it and I should get it on the 2nd since Amazon is filling the order and their main shipping hub is in Louisville with a secondary hub in Whitestown, IN. This group is just getting started so this could be a chance to get in on the ground floor. I'll see anyway.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2014 at 9:51pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I've been lurking around looking at places where larps could be staged and I must say that I'm drooling. Unfortunately, the coolest looking place is in Ohio, curse the luck. But I can dream...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Just got the notification that the copy of the Mind's Eye Theater's Rules for Playing Vampires: Revised is on the way. I want to see how they handle "live action" vampires as player characters. Yes, I'm in "research mode" at the moment.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Another thing I'm doing is making notes for a LARP set in Samgara. I don't know if anything can or will come of it but the ideas are pinging around in my head like overexcited gas molecules and if I don't get them out of my head and into a file somewhere, I'm not going to be able to think of or do anything else and I really NEED to!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2014 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Okay. Just found out that the outfit I'm looking at hasn't expanded beyond their first group. They have however, incorporated so one would expect that expansion is in their plans. I'm about to ask a whole bunch of questions that they may not have answers for.... yet.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Smiley Currently on the hunt for a good how to "beginner's" book on "creature" makeup. Nothing relentlessly gory or complicated -- that can come later! I've realized that if we're going to get into LARP -- and the idea looks damned attractive -- we're going to need "how to" books on a variety of "theatrical-type" topics as well as gaming topics and I'm trying to assemble a small reference library to that end. I've sent an email query about what's involved in setting up a licensed branch of that LARP headquartered in Cincinnati. [My post on their forum was pretty much ignored except for people telling me to email this one guy.] Once I hear back from that, we'll know whether we will be going with them or on our own. Either way, we'll need the books!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
No reply to my email yet. On the "book front" one book is "out for delivery" and the last two in this particular series have been ordered and shipped. I "should" have them by next week if the shippers remember to take them to the Post Office. I got kinda snarky with that guy yesterday. I know that he'd gotten the shipping label on the 3rd and just hadn't taken it to the post office but when I sent him an email late on the 6th, telling him that it hadn't shown up in USPS tracking and suggesting that he check on it, he gave me a song and dance about how the Post Office does a good job but they sometimes lose stuff. This did not sit well and I informed him that my husband WORKS for the post office and that I knew that scans were sometimes missed and that I ALSO knew how long it took for a package to get here from anywhere in the country once it was in the system.
The next time I checked the tracking, the package had been "received" in Cincinnati. It got to Indianapolis last night, was transferred to the Martinsville truck on the dock. Since yesterday, I've gotten three more emails from this guy that I haven't even opened and probably won't. I'll just send him a note when I have the package and ignore the rest.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Have the book. I now have instructions on how to build all sorts of "interesting" things.  Smiley

Still no response to my email. *sigh* "The clock is ticking, dude..."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Found and ordered a very basic stage makeup book. It will do to get started with and more books and techniques can be added later after I've had the chance to poke around in Barnes and Nobel or the Indianapolis Public Library.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Still no answer to my email. This does not bode well.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Telling Skywise what I'm finding out about the various LARP systems -- aside from wholesale plagiarism -- and how I'd want to do it differently.

And STILL no reply to my email....
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2014 at 6:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Got an answer. They'll talking about it. More waiting.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
*sigh* Still waiting on an answer. It seems pretty obvious that my questions came out of left field as far as they're concerned. While I'm waiting, more books are on the way (one could arrive today, another "could" be here tomorrow. Monday at the latest.) and I'm working on "The Reader's Guide to Samgara and Keyholder's Castle" which with the addition of "game specific" material, could easily be a "Player's Guild to Samgara." No matter what happens, I will at least have a definitive guide to Samgara that will help me keep things straight. One thing I'm going to have to do is get out the map I made (which is HUGE!) and start breaking it down into manageable pieces rather like a Rand McNally Road Atlas.... Smiley
THAT should keep me out of trouble for a while....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Found two more books that "should" be helpful in starting and running a larp group. They aren't about "larp", they're about the ins and outs of amateur theatrical production which when you break it down is what larp is -- improvisational theater within a set but loose framework performed without an audience.

Post # 32,567
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2014 at 9:16pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Brought the subject up on the 31st, since that didn't get a response I sent an email on the 7th. *sigh* Can anyone blame me for being just a tad impatient? They really should have had some ideas about expansion before they went "public".

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2014 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Checked the email one last time. Nothing. *sigh* Maybe tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Apr 12th, 2014 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Got another of the books I ordered. My "theatrical production" library is growing. I do wish the basic stage makeup books I ordered would get here. I want to know what they cover so I know what "specialty" subjects I need to look for.

And no email yet.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 4:26am
Print Post  
I got the book on basic costuming I ordered. Ordinary "human" clothes I have down cold but this book has instructions for things like centaur costumes as well as some other things that will look good without costing a fortune or taking hours to make.

And still no email Smiley.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
The basic "makeup" book has arrived.

I will NOT be making vampire fangs from boiled and bleached bones from a butcher shop. Yes, this book was written before DIY vampire fang kits were readily available at Hot Topics....

Still no email....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
STILL no email and since they have an event that starts tomorrow, if I hear nothing tonight I don't expect too until after the weekend.

On the plus side, I've ordered some prop money through amazon and if it works out, I'll order more. I'll need representations of all the denominations in the monetary system but the larger gold and silver coins have been the hardest to find. Fortunately, on Samgara if the coin is standard weight it is accepted regardless of where it was minted. And if it ends up that we aren't playing on Samgara, prop money is STILL going to be needed although playing in Samgara is looking more likely by the day.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Doing the boring "not fun" stuff of organizing. Right now, having decided on how to compensate members who donate stuff to the group, I have the list on the desktop and every time I think of something that we'd need that could be donated, I put it on the list with the number of points that the donor would get in exchange. So far I have lists for Heavy, medium and light manual labor, costume, props and weapons donations and donations of office supplies, makeup, clerical work and the use of personal vehicles and storage space. Smiley Definitely not as much fun as thwacking someone with a boffer sword but it has to be done for things to run smoothly.

Rule One: Get thy ducks in a row BEFORE you start recruiting players!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send TopicPrint