Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16345 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #175 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Iz happy! I was finally able to get my hands on the last major item I need to start making larp weapons. It appears to be a "seasonal" item (foam insulation for pipes) and it's reasonably priced so I got two packages which should be more than enough for my experiments in weapon building.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #176 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 3:24am
Print Post  
I found some adhesive today that "should" keep the pvc pipe from moving inside the foam tube. That completes my materials/supplies list for weapons making. All I have to do is figure out how to get the spray adhesive where I want it. Naturally, it has all kinds of warnings on it about inhaling it and keeping it away from flames. I may have to do the gluing on the Guest House's back porch which is roofed and screened.

hehehe While in Walmart today, Skywise found some foam (not Nerf) swords in the toy department and immediately brought them to my attention. Yes, we tried them out! We didn't do too badly although my blocking needs work.
I have to wonder what the employee monitoring the security camera thought of us sword fighting in the aisle....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #177 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I have a dream on the desktop. Now Uni just needs to provide the "how...."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #178 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:21am
Print Post  
I haven't been working on the LARP lately. I needed a break from all the "filling in of tables" although I HAVE been keeping tabs on the regional larping scene via facebook and I'm getting an idea how the "unaffiliated" groups operate. Over on the "story writing" side, I've been thinking that Samgara needs more dangerous "wildlife" (adding "snakes to Paradise" which is my standard MO of world creation) and trying to figure out how they'd translate to a larp setting. The Call of Cthulhu larp book I has a large section on how to create Lovecraftian horrors for larping so it CAN be done on a less than flush "special effects" budget.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:31am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #179 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 5:49am
Print Post  
I need a project to learn Scrivener on and I'm thinking that I'll use my larp rules for that. I'll keep everything "safe" in Pages so no mistakes will be catastrophic. I'll be able to practice all the major operations since I need to finish the first draft and then edit it and doing it in Scrivener should make it easier to "publish" when the time comes if only to print copies for beta testing. I've joined a closed facebook group for ladies who larp and I'm hoping to find kindred spirits there which I really do need. There have been way too many dull, unimaginative "mundanes" in my life these last few years.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #180 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 5:41am
Print Post  
I've applied to two more closed LARP groups earlier this evening. As late as it is, I probably won't hear back tonight. Both are headquartered here in Central Indiana so I could possibly have the chance to actually participate rather than just read about it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #181 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 5:25am
Print Post  
I am now a member of three LARP sites.

My research has revealed a definite problem common to all LARP groups in the area -- finding a place to play. There is a definite dearth of suitable sites in central Indiana. This one -- http://www.namelesscreekyouthcamp.com/_index.php -- is one of the few that isn't affiliated with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or some other organization which means that they normally do not have large blocks of time reserved for their own activities. One of the groups I just joined will be playing most of their "season" in Connersville which is more than an hour from here.
This place is closer, a bit over ten miles -- http://www.inffa.org/leadershipcenter/site/facility_information/about_the_proper... -- but it's an FFA leadership center and they have lots of programs going year round so their calendar is pretty full. *sigh* If I had the money, I'd buy a suitable property and start building.
But I don't so if I manage to get my larp off the ground, we'll have to "make do" like everyone else and compete for the same few sites....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #182 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I've been reading this article -- http://www.nerdfit.com/2014/05/14/larping-in-a-tent-vs-a-cabin/ -- while waiting for Skywise to get home and she definitely has a point. Conceivably, one could construct a "village" with tents as long as suitable restroom and shower facilities were available. A multi-room tent would probably be a better choice for us since Spirit would have the opportunity to get used to it. We stopped doing overnight trips during our vacations because she doesn't sleep well in strange places. A tent, once she got used to it, wouldn't be "strange." Smiley Something to think about....
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2015 at 6:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #183 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 7:23am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #184 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
This is my final tent selection. It's a Coleman Prairie Breeze 9 Person tent. My first choice turned out to have a consistent problem with leaks according to numerous reviews on Amazon. This tent has only two rooms but there is, as of this writing, only one mention of a leak and one mention of a broken pole during shipping so I consider this a well made item. Since Coleman sells replacement parts and "leak sealant" and I intend to have the leak sealant on hand, I'll be getting this one later so Spirit can get familiar with it.

41M+GU2GQPL_001.jpg ( 17 KB | Downloads )
41M+GU2GQPL_001.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #185 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
This almost makes me wish I lived in the Northwest. It DOES make me wish for a project --- or two! --- like it in this area. The Gods know we could use it!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dravenwood-village-a-larp-dedicated-campgroun...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #186 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Since I'm of the opinion that you can't manifest something until you have a good handle on what you want, I'm pulling together information about dedicated larp parks -- what few there are -- so I can design my own.
Crazy?
Yeah, I know but without "dreams" what are we? If it's meant to be and I'm open to the manifestation, the Universe will find a way. In the meantime, "dreaming it" is fun.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #187 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Quitting for the moment, the eyes are cranky -- I am SO glad that we'll be making an appointment for me with Skywise's eye doctor when he sees him on Monday -- and I need to dig through a few thousand -- relatively unsorted -- pictures for this "dream" and my eyes are NOT up to the challenge so it's time to take a break.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2015 at 11:52pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #188 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I've done a little more dreaming/research for a "dedicated" larp park. The problem with the "Larp City" project is that it will take years to get off the ground due to the fact that they want to build each location all at once rather than in stages -- which is why it's gonna be a LONG time before one gets built in the Midwest! What is needed NOW is lots of smaller projects that can go into operation in a couple of years or less. I've no doubt that the "will" is out there. All that's lacking is money.
Isn't that always the way of it? *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #189 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Sitting here grumbling.
As I pointed out to Skywise -- and he agreed -- that even if we were able to get all the ducks lined up and cats herded so we could go larping for a weekend the fact that the Post Office could require him to work the Saturday with 48 hours or less warning -- which it has done repeatedly to the point where his having a full weekend off is a surprise. Which means that we could only be sure of being able to participate during his vacation. Registration "can" be paid at the door but it's more expensive and pre-registration is non-refundable. And it isn't just larping. Any activity that would require him to have the whole weekend off cannot be planned with any certainty be it recreation or just getting stuff done around here. And if there are chores around here that MUST be done -- or else -- that means that we can't do much on Sunday either -- lunch in town is about it, or an early (really early) movie if there is something we really want to see.
Things like this make me look forward to "retirement." Maybe then we can have a "life". I just hope that we'll still be healthy enough to enjoy it when it comes......
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2015 at 2:14am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #190 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Re: The larp rules I'm writing.

WRITE. THEN EDIT!

My brain has started chasing it's tail over what to keep and what to cut and it isn't time to do that yet!

SIT, BRAIN! SIT!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #191 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I've been designing my "dream" larp park this evening since my eyes are too cranky to do anything else. I "should" have my "prescription reading glasses" in a week to ten days so I can get back to reading, writing and studying -- especially writing. I want to start learning Scrivener but until I can read for more than two minutes, there's no point in starting with it. At least working on the larp rules and campaign setting has yielded some new inhabitants, interesting plants and dangerous wildlife that I can work into novels and short stories which will emphasize the fact that Samgara is NOT and never has been Earth. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #192 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Sitting here wishing that I had either suitable real estate or lots of money to BUY suitable real estate so I could build my dream larp park in addition to designing it. What few places there are around here where a group "might" play aren't really designed for it and most of them have a "target" market that takes priority. The Dravenwood people have the right idea with their "larp only" project and I really hope that they can get it off the ground.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #193 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Skywise and I are contemplating various items made of PVC normally used in plumbing applications and are realizing that they'd make dandy bases for "larp booby-traps".

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #194 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I'll be picking up my glasses tomorrow which means I'll be able to "kill two birds with one stone" and finish up the rules while learning Scrivener. I'm probably going to join a forum for female larpers and I'm currently trying to decide whether to use "Penthesilea" or another name. So far, I'm not having any luck coming up with another name that suits me and I'm used to "Penth." Heck, Skywise has been known to call me that from time to time. But the character "Penthesilea of Themyscira, Clan Swordkin" is very well fleshed out and her history is known -- to me at least and I want to create the outline of a character that I can adapt to any campaign I find myself in. So I need a name I can live with for a long time and a very general outline of who and what she is which is what I'm now working on.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #195 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
I'm now trying to decide between two "alternate" names. I've decided that her "symbol" will be a red rose since I have several rose stencils that can be used for decorating gear and clothing. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #196 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Smiley ... maybe I could combine the two names... They have syllables in common.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #197 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Went in another direction and now I'm considering something else. At least it doesn't come up on Google and it does tie in -- a little -- to Samgara. Smiley

Post # 35,151
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015 at 3:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #198 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Name picked. (It means "Dark defender" in Samgaran.)
Registration complete.
Waiting for my account password.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #199 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Smiley I have an idea for a larping outfit. I have a pattern that will work for most of it. What I will NEED is boots. Knee high (or nearly so) ones and I think I'm going to have to find out what size I wear in men's shoes...
In addition to having "excretable" eyesight, I have big feet. REALLY big feet. Feet so big that finding shoes is next to impossible if I want something other than athletic shoes. To make matters REALLY interesting, I also have heavy calves. The result of that combination is that IF I can find a boot that fits there is a better than even chance that my calves WON'T fit. I'm thinking that "manboots" may be my only hope to get this outfit to look like I envision....

Post # 35,153
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:31pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Send TopicPrint