Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16346 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #200 - May 10th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Moonie directed me to a Roleplaying forum this evening and I joined up. I haven't explored it yet but if nothing else, I could learn something and maybe, actually interact with people who approve of and understand the hobby rather than get a hair up their backside every time I mention it. Fortunately none of the latter actually live with me -- and therefore are allowed an opinion. My nearest and dearest are/have been roleplayers too so they know what it's like. Equally fortunately, the "disapproving horde" have stalked off and out of my life in a self-righteous huff to sulk in their little corner of the universe where everyone agrees with them about everything along with the twats that can't tell fantasy from reality. So now there is plenty of space in my life for sane people who share my interests -- or some of them at least -- and have no real desire to run my life to suit themselves.
There are NO words adequate to express what a relief that is! The freedom is delicious......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #201 - May 17th, 2015 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I've been buying discontinued "medieval" patterns from Amazon this week and I think I'm going to make up a few pieces that will fit regardless of any weight "fluctuations." The first thing I'm looking at is a chemise done in a lightweight poly/cotton blend -- in black of course which will conceal the fact that my usual underwear is black. Black "unmentionables" would show right through anything light colored but especially white. After that, I don't know. Maybe an "adjustable" bodice. And I'll be working on Moonie's "combat ballgown" since I think I've finally found a pants pattern that I can make full enough to pass for a skirt until she decides to kick someone.....
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2015 at 12:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #202 - May 25th, 2015 at 12:44am
Print Post  
VERY interesting and scholarly article about live action role playing.

http://analoggamestudies.org/2015/05/connecting-role-playing-stage-acting-and-im...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #203 - May 25th, 2015 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Adding some info to the larp rules I'm writing and doing some editing. I decided that costuming and makeup were so intertwined in some instances that I just combined the two chapters into one. The whole thing is still 347 pages and I haven't put in any illustrations yet. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #204 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:03am
Print Post  
I worked on "The Player's Guide to Samgara" some this afternoon which also means that I fleshed out the "reference files" for the books. Not as glamorous as cranking out pages and pages of what may or may NOT be useable new material but when you're working in an entirely fictional world where pretty much everything from the different cultures to the flora and fauna needs to be created by you, it's necessary work. One thing I went over was the Interdimensional Omniverse University entry since I was worried that it might need to be rewritten given Samgara's "unusual" situation but I think it will do "as is" which is good 'cause I wasn't looking forward to rewriting the sections dealing with it. Getting it to make sense the first time was hard enough!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #205 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I did some more work on the Player's Guide last night, specifically I moved most of the "city-state" information to a separate word document for later publication as a supplement. I'm keeping a small selection of city-states in the rulebook with enough information for a "plot team" to create the setting they need. I've decided to move two or three city-states from the supplement back into the main rulebook to give "plot teams" the widest possible choice.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #206 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I have eleven city-states/locations in the player's guide. I didn't include Keyholder's Castle, Castletown or Crowhaven in the list since those are main locations for the books. I did include Hidden Bay due to its being a good locale for a science fiction type scenario due to the very high tech available. Samgara being what it is, there is a lot of variety in cultures/locations and since everything is so spread out, there is a LOT of unexplored real estate and the potential for surprises. I may add one more city-state/locale to make it an even dozen but I haven't decided which one yet.

Post # 35,765
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 3:48am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #207 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll be making a new sword as soon as the blade arrives and I can see again. I'll also be making a scabbard for it -- naturally. Can't have the bare blade hanging out -- and a belt hanger for it (and probably a belt too -- and a shield. None of this gear will be "larp approved" since the sword and shield will be made of real steel and wood. Last night/early this morning, I got to thinking "why stop there?" So.... I'll be making something along these lines in a Samgaran Amazon style.....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-Fit-Leather-Armor-Breast-Plate-Celtic-Edi...

and probably something like this but my own design....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Iceborn-Helmet/?ALLSTEPS

That should be enough to keep me busy while a plot point is coming into focus....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #208 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 3:19am
Print Post  
I'm nuts. I admit it!
Since I made the above post, I've decided to add a warskirt, armguards and shinguards to the outfit in addition to the breastplate and the swordbelt. A whole Amazon panopy in short. In addition to the sword and shield, I may add a spear or two, a fighting staff (I already have a suitable piece of wood for that) and hell, maybe an axe although I haven't found anything to indicate that women warriors (known familiarly as Amazons) used them regularly in fighting. I already have a bow and arrows. It's not a horse bow but those can be hard to find.
And no, I have no intention of getting a horse.

Although if riding lessons were offered I'd certainly consider it...... Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #209 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 5:14am
Print Post  
I'm still working on the design. I've found a "suit" of leather armor online that have given me an idea on how to solve an upper chest problem without having to do too much fitting -- see below. The one I'll be making will be more "business like" and designed to discourage vampires and others who might be interested in the wearer's neck but the principle will be the same.

Collar_detail.png ( 84 KB | Downloads )
Collar_detail.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #210 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 4:55am
Print Post  
I "appropriated" some pictures from the Leather Lore site so I could see how they do "war skirts" which they call "strap skirts". Their stuff is good and I might eventually buy some of their pieces but their breastplates show too much breast for what I have in mind although I have no doubt that their designs are a big hit with the guys. An evil sorceress intent on seducing a strapping hero might find some of their pieces useful though. Or a heroine who needs to distract the bad guy while her companions put their plan into operation.... Smiley I'm still working on the breastplate design and I've realized that some of the elements I've been thinking of incorporating into the beastplate would work better as part of a war skirt so....
I'm also thinking about what designs I'm skilled enough to work into the leather. I think I can manage some simple designs especially if I can trace them onto the leather and then tool them in.

Post # 37,100
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016 at 4:57am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #211 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Since I have another month -- minimum -- until my blade arrives and that long or longer until I have my eye surgery, I'm thinking of getting some really heavy fabric and making up a "test" breastplate to work out the alterations I'm making in the pattern I'm using. I won't need more than a couple of yards. I need to think about Book 4 and working on the test breastplate will keep my fingers busy. I really don't think I'm going to make a lot of progress on Book 4 until I can see. You really don't realize just how much of your brain is involved in "seeing" until you have to concentrate to do it. I can work for short periods but the several hour -- I AM ON A ROLL! -- writing marathons are out of the question now. Text on the computer is getting blurry unless my nose is practically against the screen which is NOT a comfortable writing position let me tell you!!
I know that there are those who will say I'm using my eyes as an excuse not to write. That is, to put it politely and keep things PG-13, a steaming pile of fresh Smiley. Real life will have its way. Sometimes it cooperates with you and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, there's no point fighting it. Ya just gotta ride it through.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #212 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 12:48am
Print Post  
I've been looking at the armor below and wondering if it would not be the way to go with embellishing my armor. Tooling small pieces is more "forgiving" and if you mess up you can start over with another small piece without the anguish if you mess up a major/large piece. Something for me to think about while I'm designing and waiting for my surgery.

Laced_armor.jpg ( 72 KB | Downloads )
Laced_armor.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #213 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Okay, time to get serious about figuring out how much leather I'm going to need for my armor. Skywise finished doing our taxes and mailed the return in today so I know how much of it my cut is going to be. Since I've earmarked that for getting leather, I now know what my budget is. I used last year's cut to buy my sword blade -- which I hope gets here soon. I'll be getting some really heavy fabric the next time I'm in Walmart -- Friday, I hope -- so I can start making custom fitted pattern pieces. I'll have to allow for the thickness of the leather but that shouldn't be too difficult since I want the leather the body is made from to be thinner than that for a belt. Thicker pieces can be sewn on the outside -- like in the picture in the above post -- where they won't affect how it fits.
The fact that my bust measurement and my waist measurement are different sizes will be what makes it tricky.....
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #214 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I also decided to make a new knife to go with my sword -- matching set and all -- and I ordered the blade and pommel today. I'll see if I have to order anything else once I have the blade. I "may" have a guard that will work but won't know until I can compare the size of the blade with the guards I have on hand.
Yeah, I'm crazy and I like sharp, pointy things......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #215 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:24am
Print Post  
This is the pattern [Butterick B4669] and the view [C] that I'm going to use for my armor altered to look like the laced up armor in the post a few posts up. (Stupid software won't let me post the pictures side by side. Maybe next upgrade....) I'm gonna omit the peplum. I don't think I'm up to pleating leather! I'm definitely going to lengthen it by about three inches, move the front fastening to the sides and use buckles instead of laces and use buckles for the shoulder straps too. The reason for that is that I'm trying for what could be an actual functional armor design -- which means it needs to be easy to get someone out of if they're wounded. Lots of lacing can be sexy and it is useful for adjusting the fit but hell for getting it open in a hurry. With my design, unbuckle the shoulder buckles and the side buckles and you can lift the chest piece right off.
Yes, I'm designing "practical" armor.

Butterick__B4669_View_C.jpg ( 34 KB | Downloads )
Butterick__B4669_View_C.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #216 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I just got an email telling me that my knife blade is on the way. Smiley NOW if my sword blade would just get through heat treating and arrive.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #217 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 4:41am
Print Post  
I got my knife blade a couple of days ago and I've been playing with it ever since. The design is starting to take shape.

I'm certifiable. To occupy my mind -- specifically, to keep me from thinking about going blind -- I'm adding another piece to my armor: pauldrons, which will be leather, detachable and tooled. Figuring out how to do that should keep my brain from wandering into areas where it should not in the night while I'm trying to fall asleep.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #218 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I'm rethinking pauldrons due to the range of motion/restriction of movement issue. I've been trying to figure out how to construct them without sacrificing a LOT of mobility and I've about come to the conclusion that one can have a full range of motion without pauldrons or restricted mobility with them. Right now, I'm thinking about a rigid attachment to the straps on the breastplate that extend out over the shoulders partnered with upper arm guards that connect to them somehow with flexible straps. Smiley This is gonna require more thinking. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #219 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I've been working on the "pauldron problem" which is keeping me from thinking about Skywise's "rotor cuff" problem -- if that is what it is since he hasn't seen a doctor yet -- and how much pain he could be in right now. As he was leaving today he said that "this might be the last time he goes to work". Smiley I'm gonna want a more detailed explanation of THAT remark, you betcha!
Anyway, I think that I've found a solution to the range of mobility problem that I was concerned about. I can use Chicago screws instead of rivets in the design and if they don't work like I expect, I can replace them with rivets. So I'm figuring out the bare bones of the design while trying to keep my eyes and his shoulder out of the forefront of my brain...... 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #220 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Well, Skywise was talking "worst case scenario" on Saturday and things are nowhere near that bad so my obsessive worrying was unnecessary, happily.
I've had considerably more luck finding information about the kind of shield I want to make since I now know what it is called -- a pelta. It is the kind of shield that Amazons carry in Greek art when they are shown carrying them. They were apparently very common among the various tribes whose women were the "Amazons" which turns out to be the name the Greeks tacked onto the nomadic tribes roaming in and around the Black Sea. So, that type of shield will do nicely for my purposes.
I asked Skywise if I was crazy. He said "yes".
I asked him if he was okay with my "crazy." He said "yes".
So it's all good!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #221 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 12:57am
Print Post  
I found this article/blog on my facebook newsfeed and I'm putting the link here 'cause I don't want to lose track of it.

https://larpcynic.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/how-to-shamelessly-self-promote/

Reading it, it makes me think that I might be considered a "cool kid" -- a first for me! -- if/when I start larping. I will have a "cool" kit -- appropriate clothes and serious leather armor because I'll have the time to do it and do it right. (I may or may not have professionally made weapons by that time.) In short, "appearance" is, if not everything, pretty important for some people. In some ways it sounds a lot like high school with the "cool kids lunch table" but then, cliques are universal -- even or especially online so I'm not terribly worried. If I join a group that proves to be excessively "high school" with a sizable number of disaffected/dissatisfied players I will suggest starting our own group using the rule set I just happen to have laying around. Smiley Start up would be hard but having committed players is half the battle.
That, however, is for the future. Right now, I'm looking forward to surgery and being able to see without glasses -- at least part of the time.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #222 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I've been looking over the rules systems of a TON of larps both active and inactive and there aren't any that are leaping out and grabbing me by my imagination. There was a STAR WARS live action roleplaying game published decades ago and that would be interesting if there was a group playing it in the area but some sort of medieval "alternate Earth" setting seems to be the standard around here. If there's a science fiction or steampunk LARP in the area, I haven't found it yet. I'm pretty sure that the "rules writers" are using NERO or the IFGS rules as a template. There is a sameness to them that is mind-numbing, especially since they throw in stuff to make their game "different" without a lot of logic. Many times, the only "difference" is a name change and maybe a skill or attribute added or subtracted.
I just went through a rules set that was over a hundred pages long and no where in it did I find a word about the setting: the world and the current situation. Not any super secret "staff only" stuff but the sort of thing that any inhabitant of the world would know. Pages upon pages of how to create a character but not a word about the world the character lives in. I'm positive that I'll be passing on that one!
*sigh* It's probably just as well that we can't larp right now due to Skywise's work -- he's said plan on him working Saturday for the foreseeable future -- because I'm really not seeing anything I'm eager to participate in and if my imagination isn't engaged, it really isn't worth the effort it would take to participate.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #223 - May 21st, 2016 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I've been reading over a conversation from a larp group's facebook page that I copied to a word document in which they discussed what sounds like a fundamental flaw in their system. Player characters have in game "expenses" which cost "in game" money. So far, no problem. BUT. It appears that the only way that players can earn "in game" money is by going on "in game" missions. That sounds good on paper but it leaves something to be desired in execution. A mission or "job" pays a set amount total so if five players go on a job that amount is split five ways. If fifteen players go, it is split fifteen ways. And since everyone has expenses that must be paid in game, large groups are apparently more common than not because everyone needs every "in game dime" they can get.
They spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to manage this problem. *sigh* They are NOT talking "real" money. They are talking "game" money. So why not just change the payout amount to "each" rather than "total"? An alternative would be to assume that every player character has a source of income that isn't dependent on taking "jobs" during the game. It could be something like a fighter being someone's bodyguard who "adventures" during his off time. A "rogue" type character could also be a professional gambler and earn enough -- maybe more than enough -- to cover his expenses. It will be strongly suggested in the larp I'm working on that every player character have some skill or profession at which they can earn a living between adventures. I probably should work up a list of what different jobs/professions pay on the average..... 
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 4:34pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #224 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 12:57am
Print Post  
I was just looking over the menu for a larp event that will be happening this month, four meals total. There is not one single thing on that menu that Spirit will eat and "Sunday breakfast" is the only meal that Skywise "could" eat -- IF he was careful.  Smiley

Note to self: If we ever larp, plan on cooking everything we eat....  Smiley

Fortunately my "emergency kitchen" with a screen house cook tent is coming along nicely. We have two HUGE coolers and a couple of smaller ones for water and drinks. So I'm pretty sure I could keep us fed and NOT "food poisoned". Just need to practice cooking what we normally eat in a "camp" setting. 

Post # 64,848 for the site.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2016 at 4:49am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Send TopicPrint