Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16344 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING
Reply #225 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Sunday, July 10, 2016

As I may have mentioned, one of the local LARP groups has relocated to new digs ninety minutes south of here. The photos I’ve seen so far look good. Anyway, in the run-up to this weekend’s game, one of the organizers recommended that everyone assemble a “feast kit” which got me thinking about what “my” kit should contain. Sooooo...... I decided to put one together even though it will be years, if ever, that I’ll be able to use it. I started poking around and discovered that choice is limited when it comes to “period” tableware and cutlery.

The first thing I started looking for was a plate, something the size of a standard dinner plate. I went to Amazon and started looking in the “Outdoor” department, thinking that I’d find what I needed in camping supplies. To make a long story short, I found nothing that I could use. The ubiquitous red or blue speckled enamelware was everywhere but not suitable -- it is too familiar to use for anything other than a “post apocalyptic” setting. The plates that weren’t blue or red and speckled were either too small, too thin, too deep (high sides) or all three. I sighed. I swore -- mildly --- and then I got an idea. Several months ago I bought some “personal sized” pizza pans and their design would make a perfect plate, IF they were larger. The company I got them from is going out of business and they were sold out of them but I found the complete line on Amazon. SUCCESS! Smiley I ordered the 10 inch plate shown below and one item for my kit was taken care of. I’m considering ordering the 6 inch plate later for use as a bread/salad plate.

I’d found suitable metal bowls -- 6 inches across -- while looking at plates so that was taken care of and I found a reasonably priced goblet of a type I’d purchased before somewhere other than on Amazon so I turned my attention to cutlery -- knives, forks and spoons. This is where I REALLY hit the proverbial brick wall. Back in the day -- WAY back in the day -- the eating utensil of choice was either a knife with a very “pointed” point used for “spearing” food or..... fingers. Definitely NOT in keeping with what is currently acceptable table manners, “period” or no! I started looking and found.... very little. Reading the Amazon reviews of what was available I learned that the “handmade by a blacksmith” sets were either covered with a black coating -- that chipped off -- to make them look old or came packed in an extremely thick and hard to remove oil and once the oil was removed, the items immediately began rusting! Neither of which appealed to me as something to eat with! After further searching and finding more of the same, I gave up and resigned myself to something “modern” but I figured that if I could find a suitable blade, I could at least make the knife. So I grabbed my trusty Jantz catalog and started searching and LO! I found not only three blades made specifically for making a dinner/steak knife, I found two different spoons and two forks! Reasonably priced -- less than $4.00 to $5.00 each -- as well. Granted I’ll have to finish them by putting handles on them and they won’t have the “made by a blacksmith” look but since I have some suitably sized red oak already on hand the price for five pieces (knife, fork, salad/dessert fork, soup spoon and tea/dessert spoon) will be a fraction of what the (unusable) ready made ones would cost.  Smiley  As funds become available, I’ll assemble my feast kit, make a carry bag for it and be ready to go feasting if/when the opportunity presents itself.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #226 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
July 12, 2016

The metal plate for my feast kit arrived today. It is thinner than I expected so I’ll “probably” add a heavier plate to my kit at a later date after I’ve gotten the other major items on my “kit” list. It will do for cold/cool food but it might conduct heat too quickly for a hot meal. In any event, I’m going to need an insulating lap pad if I’m going to have either plate on my lap! I’m also going to make some cloth napkins to pack in the kit so as to reduce “paper waste” for when I’m being “in game/in period” since disposable napkins are a very recent invention. I’m thinking black or bright red....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #227 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
July 18, 2016

After some serious price checking, I broke down and ordered the 10½ inch plate. *sigh* The other plate is okay for a cold meal -- like a salad or sandwich -- but I’m afraid that it would be “too hot to handle” for something hot.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #228 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
July 19, 2016

I ordered what I need for my feast kit’s flatware today Unfortunately what I was going to use for a tea/dessert spoon is no longer available but I was able to get everything else. I’ll keep my eyes open for something that I can adapt for the missing spoon. What can I say? I like matching flatware!

After three tries I’m finally satisfied with the scabbard for Hellion. NOW I get to stain and finish it. Since there are a few “errors” in construction (I filed too deep in a couple of spots), I’m redesigning the sword hanger to cover those spots. If I manage to do it right, it should look pretty cool. And impressive...

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:37pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #229 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
July 21, 2016

I made out like a bandit today. The plate arrived and so did the flatware! Smiley I ordered an individual knife, fork and spoon and a camp knife and fork in a kit, thinking that they would be a bit smaller than “standard” size. Unfortunately, they are standard so I’ll have to find something else to make in to a dessert/salad fork and a dessert/drink spoon. The kit came with some handle material so I know what to order. Best of all, it’s BLACK.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:38pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #230 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
July26, 2016

Iz happy. I found a used set of Statesmetal salad/dessert bowls for $7.00 ($11.40 with shipping) which is about a third of what they cost new. They may need some cleaning up -- I DO hope they haven’t been put in a dishwasher! -- so I’ll be able to have two -- one for soup/salad and one for dessert in my feast kit. Over on Amazon, I found a luncheon plate -- 8 inches in diameter -- to use as a dessert or bread plate for $15.00, also considerably below the usual price of $25.00. As soon as both purchases arrive, I’ll have the main components of my feast kit. I want to get a “tumbler” style metal drinking glass but that can wait until I find exactly the right thing, The goblet I already have will work very well

I’ve started work on the sword hanger. So far, so good.

The group that has relocated finally got around to posting some pictures of the site and I must say, I’m not impressed. The lodge building is nice enough with as many amenities as you could ask for in a place not set up as a campground but that’s about it. The acreage is intended as a “hunting ground” so there are no trails cut through the undergrowth and “probably” no open, mowed areas for camping or encounters. The fact that it is ninety minutes from here and an even longer drive from points north does NOT help. The organizers have been able to secure the site for two nights rather than one (Friday and Saturday nights) and are offering “In Game” incentives to get people to come but only the most dedicated are going to be willing to pack up their vehicles after getting off work on a Friday and drive over ninety minutes to LARP. Getting up early on Saturday to make that drive may not appeal either. They have it for their next three events -- August, September and October -- after that, hunting season will start and I have a feeling it won’t be available and if it turns out that the presence of a bunch of people running though the woods making all kinds of noise affects the hunting, they won’t be using it next year at all.

Once again, I’m wishing that I had suitable acreage to use for LARP events. I’d be blessed by the Central Indiana LARP community, maybe deified.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #231 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
July 30. 2016

Work on the sword hanger continues. I’m having to figure it out as I go so it is taking a while.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #232 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
August 1, 2016

Plate and bowls arrived today. The bowls are used but do not appear to have been in a dishwasher.
This is good.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #233 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
August 2, 2016

I’m going to have to redesign the sword hanger. As currently configured the scabbard sticks out behind me at about a 90 degree angle.Clearing a table or hitting someone on the leg whenever I turn around is a certainty and since the scabbard is made of wood and is about ¾ of an inch thick, it would certainly leave a mark. So, “redesign” is in progress.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #234 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
August 5, 2016

My first attempt at redesigning the original concept isn’t going to work so it’s all the way back to the drawing board. *sigh*

In other news: the group that has moved south is using the terms “drone” and “dragon” in the same sentence. Fantastic if they can pull it off. They’re also talking about using a drone to take videos of some of the action at their next game or the one after. Gotta love technology......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #235 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
August 6, 2016

Spent the day working on the sword hanger -- I had a brainstorm -- and the second time was the charm. The leather has to dry THOROUGHLY (I had to soak it so I could punch the holes for sewing and mold the top piece CLOSELY to the scabbard.) before I can dye it. It’s a very tight fit but I haven’t done the final filing/sanding on the scabbard so I can make adjustments there so it slides up to where I want it. Wearing it will take some getting used to as it still sticks out behind me but it’s easier to draw the sword now and I’ll learn how much room I need to turn around while wearing it with practice. Making the belt for it won’t be difficult. It’s a simple, uncomplicated belt. The only difference between it and what you can buy at a store is that a.) it is a genuine leather belt -- no artificial materials and b.) it is two inches wide. I intend to hang a dagger on the back -- left side -- and have room on my right for a sidearm -- type to be determined -- and maybe another knife. Hence, the width of the belt so it can handle the weight...
Once I have the leather work done for the sword, I’ll start on my bow quiver. Since working nickel silver with hand tools is a hard, slow process, I’ll probably have time to make my shield too before Hellion is done.

Yes, Amazons are normally armed to the teeth....
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #236 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
August 7, 2016

I got a deal on an airsoft gun at the State Fair today to use as the abovementioned
sidearm. It’s not a replica of any recognized firearm so it’s perfect for what I want it for. Not sure yet what kind of holster I’m going to have for it but there’s time to figure that out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #237 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
August 20, 2016

I’ve been working on the sword belt today. I need to punch the holes for the snaps and for the contrast topstitching [trying something new] and it will be ready to dye and finish. I think I may have to make one part of the scabbard holder longer so I don’t have to wear the belt so far down and to adjust the angle of the scabbard when I’m wearing it but since I’ve made the holder in two separate pieces, I won’t have to remake the whole thing, just the part that needs to be longer. I also ordered a gun holster pattern by Tandy for my airsoft gun since I haven’t found anything suitable ready made. Oh well, what’s one more leather project?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #238 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
August 23, 2016

I finished punching holes for the snaps and for the topstitching on the belt this evening. I had to really soak the leather to get everything punched so it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can go on to the next step since the leather has to be completely dry before it can be dyed. I also started working on a small (2 inch) decorative medallion to put on the scabbard holder.
The gun holster pattern that I ordered arrived and -- happy day! -- it contained instructions for making a custom holster for any gun so I’ll be able to make a holster for this airsoft gun that is an exact fit.
It is good.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #239 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
August 24, 2016

I wasn’t completely satisfied with one aspect of my work yesterday. I wanted have the topstitching recessed into the leather to minimize wear and I couldn’t get the groove deep enough. I went looking through the Tandy catalog today and found a specialized tool that “should” do what I want. So I ordered it. The vendor is in Indianapolis so he’ll likely mail it tomorrow and I’ll have it by Friday or Saturday. Then I’ll soak the edges and deepen the grooves. Once it dries out AGAIN, I’ll dye it, finish it, do the topstitching and call it done.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #240 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
August 28, 2016

The little tool came in the mail today and it does EXACTLY what I hoped and without too much effort! I didn’t even have to dampen the leather too much and I’m hoping that I can start dyeing it tomorrow. Soooo..... barring something unforeseen, I should have the belt done by this time next week. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #241 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
September 21, 2016

I finally got the front of the belt dyed. [LOTS of “unforeseen” this past month!] After it’s dried for 24 (or more) hours, I’ll dye the back. After THAT side is dry, I’ll put the finish on. Once that’s done and dry, I’ll be able to put the decorative topstitching on, put the buckle back on and it will FINALLY be done.

I also made two bright red formal dinner napkins for my feast kit. I’m still trying to figure out how to do the “carry bag” for it.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:52pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #242 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
September 22, 2016

Quote:
The group that has relocated finally got around to posting some pictures of the site and I must say, I’m not impressed. The lodge building is nice enough with as many amenities as you could ask for in a place not set up as a campground but that’s about it. The acreage is intended as a “hunting ground” so there are no trails cut through the undergrowth and “probably” no open, mowed areas for camping or encounters. The fact that it is ninety minutes from here and an even longer drive from points north does NOT help. The organizers have been able to secure the site for two nights rather than one (Friday and Saturday nights) and are offering “In Game” incentives to get people to come but only the most dedicated are going to be willing to pack up their vehicles after getting off work on a Friday and drive over ninety minutes to LARP. Getting up early on Saturday to make that drive may not appeal either. They have it for their next three events -- August, September and October -- after that, hunting season will start and I have a feeling it won’t be available and if it turns out that the presence of a bunch of people running though the woods making all kinds of noise affects the hunting, they won’t be using it next year at all.

Once again, I’m wishing that I had suitable acreage to use for LARP events. I’d be blessed by the Central Indiana LARP community, maybe deified....

Well, I was right. The above mentioned LARP group has had to relocate their event at the last minute because where they’ve been playing is “unavailable” so they’ll be playing in a city park a week later than they’d planned. Someone has asked the pointed question “why?”. I’ll keep an eye out for the answer. I suspect that the rapid approach of hunting season (archery for deer and turkey starts on the 1st) has something to do with it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #243 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
September 23, 2016

I put the last coat of finish (Institutional Finish) on the back of the belt. Tomorrow night I’ll start topstitching with red thread especially made for sewing leather. Then the buckle goes back on and it will be done.

I pulled out the sword blade this evening and the damned thing was rusting again. The first time it happened I thought it was because the scabbard was still a bit damp inside from the glue so when I made the last one, I made sure the glue was completely dry at each stage before going on to the next step. Once it was finished, I waited for nearly a month before putting the sword in and I kept the scabbard in as dry an environment as I could during that time and STILL it rusted. So I’m going to have to find a coating that I can put on it that will keep it from rusting. Which I will do before I do before mounting any hardware on it. If I end up having to start over I don’t want ALL my work to be wasted!  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #244 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
September 24, 2016

I had a revelation last night and figured out WHY my sword is rusting. The tang, which is exposed to air isn’t rusting. The blade that is in the scabbard is rusting. The only conclusion I could reach from that is that the felt lining in the scabbard is absorbing a tiny amount of moisture from the humid air and that’s enough to cause the blade to rust. So I’m going to clean the rust off and keep it in the cardboard sleeve I made for it until I can treat it. I’ve ordered some Renaissance Wax to use when I’m not having it out on a regular/frequent basis and I’ll oil it when I’m using it a lot. Over time, the felt should absorb some oil and less water from the air.

I also picked up five more arrows today. I really wish that they all matched but I’m not going to strip them and repaint them. Bad enough that I’ll have to replace a fletching on one at some point.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #245 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
September 25, 2016

The belt is done.
I am wearing it.
It looks good.
The belt is pretty stiff which is to be expected. It’s a single piece of leather -- not laminated  -- that’s 2 inches wide and ⅛ inch thick and from the feel of it, it should be able to hold up whatever I decide to hang on it. In fact, it will probably be able to support more than I can carry!

Next project is to finish the scabbard hanger which goes on the belt. After that, in leather, the quiver and in metal, the sword. Making my own guard will take too long working with hand tools and I have other things to do -- specifically write books! -- so I’m going to use a guard left over from the original Hellion project after smoothing out the imperfections. That will just leave the grip, buttcap that goes under the pommel and the pommel itself to make.... which is quite enough!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #246 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
October 2, 2016

As noted elsewhere, the guard is fitted. The next step is to clean the rust off of the blade and treat it with Renaissance Wax. I’m not sure when I’ll solder the guard onto the sword. I’ll probably wait until sometime when Skywise is around “in case”.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #247 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
October 15, 2016

I’ve spent the afternoon stitching the scabbard hanger together. My hands are gonna be SO SORE in the morning. I still have one piece to add but it’s decorative and it isn’t finished yet so I’ll put it on later. I didn’t wait ‘cause I wanted to see if the design would work. It does. I’ll have to sand a little -- very little! -- off of the scabbard to compensate for expansion when I’ve applied the stain and finish but other than that, the “scabbard assembly” is finished. Once the sword is done, I may have to make some adjustments but I won’t know that until Hellion is finished. Now I’m exhausted just in time to fix dinner.......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #248 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
November 3, 2016

It was announced a couple of days ago that another local larp is canceling their November event and closing out their season in December. After that, it is up in the air as to whether it will continue. The organizers are moving, things aren’t going well and they admit that they don’t know where they’ll be in the spring. I don’t know if that’s literal or figurative but it doesn’t seem to bode well. By January of the three larp groups I joined on facebook, only one will still be active. Dystopia Rising doesn’t interest me and the others that are still active -- as far as I know -- are too far away to make participation practical even if the logistical problems could be overcome.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:03pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #249 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
November 19, 2016

I found out a couple of nights ago, via facebook that of the two larp groups that I’ve been following that were expected to be active next season may not be. One has lost one of its primary staff members and one of the “glue” members -- the guy that got them the place where they played their last couple of games -- who also handled a number of other jobs formally and informally is not only stepping down from those jobs but he’s leaving larp altogether. I’ve a feeling that this doesn’t bode well for that group. The other group I’m following is also in leadership crisis. The owners/creators of the larp are moving to Michigan and won’t even be around for their last event of the year. Another group will handle that but it isn’t currently known if they’ll run games next year. So of the three larps I started following a couple of years ago, one is definitely closing after next month and the other two are questionable. It’s anybody’s guess if the latter two will keep going and what will take their place if they don’t.

I guess that it is a good thing that I didn’t make a huge effort to participate...
LARPing is going to have to wait until Skywise is retired and we can make the minimum two and a half to three day commitment it requires. I’ll keep an eye on the two remaining larps and see how they do. Hopefully they’ll still be around when we can play.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 
Send TopicPrint