Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16361 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Been thinking about what "spells" need to be included and it's a long list. To help me out a little, I've made a standardized worksheet that I'm going to print out and run through the copier about 50 times to start. I can adapt some spells that HERO published -- and they published a lot in the 5th Edition -- and that will help. I'm going to have to clear off my desk downstairs and get to work. But not tonight...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
WD has suggested that my LARP project needs a logo for the membership cards, publicity materials and the member packets and she's right. An idea is beginning to gel in my mind and I suspect that I'll be hauling out the drawing kit along with the drawing and tracing paper before long. In addition to putting it on all the printed materials, I'd want to use it on the facebook page (assuming we have one) and make a banner out of it. And, of course, all the Cafe Press stuff......

Yeah, I think "going it alone" it looking more and more likely. I printed out an example of a "room game" last night to see what the format looks like and how it works. The first night Skywise doesn't get home until or near 2 am, I'll be downloading more examples as PDFs.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
After much thought, I have the elements of a logo roughed out. Unfortunately, due to the size of the elements, the "rough" is on a 24" x 24" sheet of tracing paper. That's the right size for the banner but WAY too big to get into the scanner so I'm going to have to "downsize" which will be a tedious process if I can't find a copy of one of the elements that's smaller than the one I have now. I'll be looking shortly. Then were is the matter of colors. It will be on a white background, that much I'm sure of since it will be printed on white paper or cardstock but the rest of it is up in the air. I want to keep it simple since it will be considerably reduced for the registration cards and such. I LOVE red and black but those colors can run into each other so I'll be doing a lot of testing. Oh well, once I have it sized down so it fits on standard 8.5 by 11 cardstock, I can run off as many copies as I need and experiment until I'm satisfied.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
SUCCESS!!

Some resizing is going to be needed but it fits on a standard sized sheet of paper so I've taken a giant leap to getting it so I can work on it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Resizing done and it looks SO COOL the way it is but I've gotta take out the parts that would get me in trouble for trademark infringement. Oh well....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Found a couple more "independent" LARPs that I've bookmarked. Unfortunately, they are both located in Ohio which seems to be a hotbed of larpy activity. I think that there is a real need for larps in Indiana since aside from the nearly dead NERO group in southern Indiana (and if I read their phone numbers right, neither owner currently lives in Indiana) and the "post zombie apocalypse" game Dystopia Rising, there doesn't appear to be much for a larper to do in Indiana. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Found more larps -- some in central Indiana -- but at least a couple of them seem inactive -- no updates on their sites -- and one that was fairly close seems to have fallen off the edge of the world. I "did" find a facebook page that has set itself up as a clearing house for larps. Once we're up and running I'll get us added to their list.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Still no reply to my email. *sigh*

I've been too sleepy to do any real work on anything today so I've roughed out the wording for an ad/flyer/thingy and worked on the logo. Skywise says I should do the designing on the computer. I told HIM that when and if he can get my hand drawn design IN the computer where I can use it, THEN I'll design on the comp. But not until then.
Another thing I'm thinking about is the Player Character/Non-Player Character split in live action roleplaying. The Non-player character [NPC] is a holdover from tabletop gaming. In tabletop gaming, you have the players and the Gamemaster. The players control their characters [Player Character/PC] and the Gamemaster controls everyone/everything else which makes sense in that situation. I'm sitting here thinking that in LARP, it doesn't make as much sense and that there shouldn't be a division between PCs and NPCs. Every player puts in as much effort into a game as any other. Those who play two or three parts during an event put in more so why should those players playing "PCs" be considered more important than the NPCs? Consequently, I'm now thinking about how I could design a game situation that erases that divide. LARP is stage and everyone is a player. Just have to figure out how to make it work.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I finished the "mission statement" I've been working on for a couple of days. I'll print it out tomorrow and see what Skywise thinks.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I've figured out why there are so many zombies, liches, ghouls, goblins and orcs in Live Action Roleplaying games...

It's damned hard to come up with a believable velociraptor, super-sized spider or giant man-eating lizard on a larp's budget. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I've been tweaking the logo and I've figured out how to incorporate it into the cover design without having everything in the computer. The only drawback is that since I don't have a color copier, I'll have to have the cover printed somewhere else since I "do" plan to use colors once I know what they will be.
Right now, the knees are killing me so I'm going to get prone on the bed with pencil, worksheets and several gaming books and start writing up the spells that I need. I might work on the logo too.

STILL no email....
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2014 at 7:56pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I got one spell done before the Queen parked herself in the middle of my papers and threatened them with shredding if I tried to get them. So I worked on the logo. A problem developed which was driving me crazy. I "think" I've found the cause of the problem and I "think" I know how to solve it. The copier is getting a workout today and I'm making a serious dent in my tracing paper supply.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
FINALLY found the information I need to rewrite a spell for the spellbook. The "power" I used originally is no longer available and I was unsure what to use instead. After much searching I found something that does the same thing using a different procedure so all I have to do is put in the new "power" and redo the math. Thank the Gods for calculators!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I got some "silver" coins that I ordered for larping today. They're plastic and light, which I expected, and 1.5 inches in diameter. I haven't decided with denomination they will be yet -- triple, doubles or singles -- but I've already ordered more. I'm going to be on the lookout for more like them, same size, larger and smaller, when I'm in the game and hobby shops. I'm going to use the "play money" teachers use to teach kids about money and how to count it for the smaller silver and copper denominations and that's pretty easy to find. It's the large gold and silver coins that are going to give me problems although the internet is proving to be a big help.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
STILL no email.

Work proceeds on various aspects of adapting HERO SYSTEM 5th Edition to larping. I don't know if I'll be working on the logo today, designing and printing forms or working on the spellbook but some combination of those things is on today's To Do list.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
New book arrived today. LARPS: Live Action Role Playing System or How to Create and Run a LARP by David and Lori Priebe.
I've been glancing through it and it looks like it has a lot of info I can use. Only problem?
Smallish type.
Many pages.
Oh my aching eyes!
Fortunately, I won't be reading about starting a system from scratch which is the first part of the book. The second half is about converting a tabletop game -- which I am -- and using/creating your own world which I am so I only need to read the back half of the book. STILL a lot of pages though....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 12:24am
Print Post  
I was able to read some of my new book before the Queen decided that I wasn't going to read any more but I can see where it will be very useful since unlike the various larp system books I have, it actually tells you how to go about setting up games both one-shots and continuing. Champions: The Live Action Roleplaying Game explains how to use the HERO System [of which I am a passionate devotee] in larp so between the two of them I "should" be able to avoid the common pitfalls -- and maybe some of the uncommon ones! -- of starting a new larping system. I already have a world and have answers to the questions the authors of L.A.R.P. say should be answered and I already know that "world creation" is the hardest part to get right. If your world isn't internally consistent, to won't be believable.

Yeah, still no answer to my query to that larping outfit and I've about reached the point where I don't care if I hear from them or not. Last weekend proved that they don't have their act together and I'm not inclined to give money to people who don't have sense enough to a.) have a written rental contract with dates spelled out and to b.) check back with the venue periodically to make sure everything is still a "go" since "stuff" like fire, flood and tornadoes happen. Not to mention heavy snow loads causing roofs to collapse! They obviously don't have that much sense and by this time, they've probably forgotten about me and my questions....

Post # 32,700
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2014 at 12:54am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Made some more adjustments to the logo. Someday, I'll get it into a computer and make it more "precise" but for now, it is as "perfect" as I can get it unless I find a glaring problem like the last one. Now to settle on the colors....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Came up with names for all the different denominations of money for the larp I'm designing. Yeah, it's looking more and more like we'll be playing an "independent" larp adapted from HERO System, 5th Edition set on Samgara. If it ever looks like the game might go beyond just us and our group, I'll have to contact HERO to see about licensing which is, according to their site, a pretty simple process. I'll see about that when/if the time comes. FIRST, I have to write the thing and THEN it has to be "beta tested" which in this case, means taken out into the field and have the hell played out of it! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Apr 27th, 2014 at 4:01am
Print Post  
I've been pricing "play money" on Amazon, mostly gold and silver pieces of various sizes. I'm going to use the easy to find quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies for the smaller denominations but finding the larger gold and silver pieces is taking more work. I need three different golds and three different silvers for the largest denominations.

And no email. Not that I was expecting one today.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 2:37am
Print Post  
I worked on the logo today. The copier is giving me attitude [not printing straight Smiley Smiley and Smiley ] so I'm going to try something else.

Checked the local Walmart. They don't carry "play money" of any kind so I'll be checking United Art & Education for my small denomination coins. I was able to get two more small storage boxes to keep small items it. I have gold and silver coins coming this week and I'll need to put them somewhere!

And........... no email.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:55am
Print Post  
I figured out how to use the scanner [the instructions that came with it were of minimal help] and I've been "learn by doing" with it all day. I'm pretty sure that I've figured out how to do what I want. It will take several steps but I "should" be able to come up with a cover for my larp system that's more than just black text on white cardstock. Once I have that, I can print what I need or if I need a LOT of them, I can take a master copy to Staples or someplace similar and have a bunch printed.

I got two more HERO System books today both of which will be useful in different ways. The more I find out about the 6th Edition the more I'm glad that I stuck with the 5th! I also got a package of "play money" and I'm expecting more tomorrow. When I have this graphic problem out of the way, I'll get back to reading L.A.R.P. and writing out spells. Good thing that my calculator is solar powered with battery backup! I love, love, LOVE the HERO System but it DOES require a lot of number crunching at the outset!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I was reading in LARPS last night and it brought up something that I hadn't thought about -- state and federal tax liability. I'd thought about checking and/or savings accounts for handling expenses but not about having to pay taxes. I wonder what sort of "organization" would allow us to operate with the lowest tax liability.
Something else to find out about.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
HOT DAMN! My eyes are glazed over from plowing through IRS documents but it looks like a larping group would met the requirements of the IRS to qualify as a "club or recreational group" and therefore be exempt from income taxes. If/when we ever wanted to acquire property as a group, we'd probably need to consult a lawyer and a tax consultant but since that's not going to be on the table any time soon, I think that topic can be taken off the stove and put in the refrigerator.   
Thank the Gods! One less thing to figure out!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:09am
Print Post  
I've been carefully reading over the IRS materials I copied today and I don't think a relatively small group of people who have no property held in common and who are getting together to play games will attract the IRS's notice. The regulations seem more geared toward clubs that have charters, dues, initiation fees, club houses and/or other property and income. I don't think we'll have any concerns until and unless we decide to buy some acres and build a playground for LARPers. But THAT is so far off in the future it is below the horizon so I'm not going to think about it (much) now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Send TopicPrint