Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Low-Salt/No Salt recipes (Read 458 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Low-Salt/No Salt recipes
Dec 19th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Skywise, as you know has high blood pressure, is on medication for it and has put himself on a low salt diet. Additionally, he can't use "salt substitute" with the medication he's taking due to the substitute's high potassium content. His medication plus excess potassium can result in sudden heart failure causing death. Something we definitely want to avoid! 
So I've been finding out just how little salt I can use in a recipe and still have it be palatable.
In this thread I'll be posting about the products I'm finding useful and the recipes I've created for anyone who wants to reduce their salt intake.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2015 at 6:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Low-Salt/No Salt recipes
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Skywise likes sausage and pepperoni on his pizza but commercial sausage uses too much salt both for flavor and as a preservative. This is my recipe for "pizza sausage" which has a distinctive "Italian" flavor. I haven't worked up a recipe for "breakfast sausage" yet and it is on my "To Do" list.

Ingredients
     ◦      1 lb ground lean pork - 80/20 (200 mg. sodium)
     ◦      1/2 teaspoon rosemary, dried and ground
     ◦      1/8 teaspoon + 1 pinch thyme, dried and ground
     ◦      1/8 teaspoon + 1 pinch ground marjoram,
     ◦      1/8 teaspoon + 1 pinch black pepper
     ◦      1 pinch salt  (150 mg. sodium)

Directions
     1.      Mix all ingredients well and put in air tight container.

2.      Chill in refrigerator for 6-24 hours minimum. The flavors blend better the longer it sets.

Note: A "pinch" is ¹/₁₆ of a teaspoon. I've found measuring spoon sets with pinch sized spoons at Rural King and online at Amazon. A batch this size usually lasts me two weeks. I keep it in the coldest part of my refrigerator and it is usually semi-frozen the entire time.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2015 at 6:43pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Low-Salt/No Salt recipes
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Cooking Stock

Recipes frequently call for "bouillon cubes" and those little suckers have enough salt in them to preserve an entire hog! Bouillon powders or pastes are no better. Fortunately Swanson has put out "low sodium" versions of their cooking stocks -- for the record, there isn't that much difference between "broth" and "stock" so if the recipe calls for "broth" you can substitute "stock" with no problem. So far, only chicken and beef are available in the the low sodium/unsalted versions. These stocks do contain some sodium but considerably less than their regular versions. Stock can be used in place of bouillon in most instances. If the recipe says to dissolve X number of cubes in X amount of water, just use stock instead of the water and omit the cubes. You might need to adjust the amount to suit your taste but that's part of the art of cooking after all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint