Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Climate Change -- which way is it going? (Read 2734 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Climate Change -- which way is it going?
Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:31am
Print Post  
*sigh* For the last several decades, environmentalists have been screaming "GLOBAL WARMING" at the top of their lungs. However, for a couple of decades before that, the big climate "thing" was "global cooling" or "mini-ice age" which was taken every bit as seriously -- if not moreso --as global warming is now. I know because I was THERE then and I remember. (There are a few advantages to having been an adult in the 70's!)

Personally, I've always been a bit skeptical of the whole "global warming" thing although I've never had any objection to reducing air pollution. After all, we have to breathe this stuff and it would be nice if it was clean. My quibble is that we do not have enough reliable weather data for the computer models that the global warming projections on based on. A computer model is only as good as the data it is given and weather records taken with modern instruments only go back about a hundred years. I should note here that none of the dire predictions that have been made since the turn of the century have come to pass. It is very hard to believe that the planet is heading for a catastrophic warming "event" when you have snow piled up to your gutters and double digit below zero temperatures which has happened during the last two or three winters.

Now, in the last few months, research compiled by solar researchers and published in the UK indicates that we're heading headlong into a "mini ice age" caused by a decrease in solar activity. The following three links discuss the research.

http://www.livescience.com/51597-maunder-minimum-mini-ice-age.html

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/13/mini-ice-age-earth-sunspots

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11733369/Earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-...

Needless to say, those with a vested interest in the "global warming" scenario -- politicians catering to environmentalists and seeing a new way to squeeze money (carbon taxes) out of the taxpayers, scientists who have build their careers on and whose livelihood depends on funding for global warning research and others who have made "global warming" a secular religion -- are now screaming that "GLOBAL WARMING IS A FACT!! THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED!!" Thing is science is only "settled" until new data comes along that doesn't fit the currently accepted theory. When that happens, the data has to be tested, analyzed, replicated by independent researchers and found to be either true or false. If it turns out to be true, then the theory has to be revised/modified or discarded all together and a new theory formulated. Some folks are trying to have it both ways by contending that even if we do have a mini-ice age we will STILL have global warming when it is over! So war as broken out between the two camps. So far the British media is giving the "ice age" research a fair hearing while the American media is firmly in the "global warming" camp. If you"re interested in the "back and forth" go ye forth and Google. What interests me now is what we, the ordinary people of the world can do to prepare for "global cooling"? I let my fingers do the walking though a list of Google hits and these two articles were the best that I found.

http://www.adweek.com/agencyspy/are-we-on-the-brink-of-a-mini-ice-age-food4patri...

http://www.philforhumanity.com/How_to_Survive_the_Next_Ice_Age.html

I found a few others but they were rather "tongue in cheek" which isn't particularly helpful. Regardless whether the climate turns cold or hot, changes in how and where we live will have to be made. In either scenario, I believe that some form of earth sheltered or underground housing would be the best choice with two or more ways to heat it. I know that if we were building a house now I'd be lobbying hard for an earth sheltered design. Anyway, with this new theory in play and with only 15 years to go before the effects are felt, I'm going to be looking into what the ordinary person can do to prepare and hopefully those preparations will be useful no matter which way the temperatures go.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:36pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Climate Change -- which way is it going?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 4:32am
Print Post  
I found this link on my facebook newsfeed. I already knew about the NASA data and the rest doesn't surprise me. When there is an agenda to be served and/or money to be made, the agenda WILL be served and the money WILL be made.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/world/global-warming-climate-models-have-been...
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:08am by Penthesilea »  

polar-bears-1021x567.jpg ( 117 KB | Downloads )
polar-bears-1021x567.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:20am
Print Post  
There is no such thing as "coincidence"...

I just went to Amazon and searched "Books" using the term "global cooling" and got more hits that I was expecting. I'm currently looking them over.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Smiley The ones that look the most promising are apparently larded with Biblical prophesy and/or conspiracy theory according to the reviews. I prefer my science straight, thank you very much. I'll keep looking for something that has the potential to be useful.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:49am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I did more digging and found this book: Chill : A Reassessment of Global Warming Theory, Does Climate Change Mean the World Is Cooling, and If So What Should We Do About It? by Peter Taylor. It is divided into two sections -- "Science" and "Politics" All the reviews are 4 and 5 stars and does not seem to be overburdened with "religious" overtones. I've found it on Amazon and the Barnes and Noble site. I'm going to take a chance and order it. Once I've had a a chance to read it, I'll report back.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2017 at 2:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 12:14am
Print Post  
I've found another one that looks interesting:The Deliberate Corruption of Climate Science by Tim Ball

This one discusses how science was manipulated in order to convince the world that "global warming" was a real "thing" in order to promote a particular political agenda. I'll be getting this one next.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2016 at 12:57am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I ran across this today. I'd forgotten all about it, probably because they aren't using motorboats to get around Manhattan.....

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/01/02/24-days-to-al-gores-10-years-to-save-the-p...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
While waiting for the above mentioned book to arrive, I'm keeping busy figuring out what the effects of a "mini ice-age" are likely to be and what can be done about them.

The first and obvious effect is a change in the growing seasons. Until we can actually observe the effects, we can make the general assumption that the "growing zones" will move south in the northern hemisphere and north in the southern. Growing seasons will be shorter overall and it isn't impossible that some areas that have a short but viable growing season will have none at all without the use of warehouse-sized greenhouses. "Food security" could become a problem for countries that import most or all of their food. That isn't likely to be an enormous problem in the U.S. but it isn't unreasonable to assume that some imported food items will become unavailable and food that isn't imported could become more expensive overall. So I'm looking into two different ways to grow food.

"Square Foot Gardening" has been around for a couple of decades and Moonie is up for trying it. We'll be getting started with that this spring. She wants to grow strawberries and I want to try a few vegetable crops. Another system is "Aquaponics" which is a system that combines hydroponics (growing plants in a nutrient solution) and aquaculture (raising fish for food in large tanks) to produce both fish and vegetables in the same setup with or without a greenhouse type enclosure. I've ordered a book about that which I'll be studying with an eye to setting up a system in the future. Moonie has also suggested keeping a few chickens down the road for eggs but not for meat since she and I are agreed that we're too softhearted to kill an animal for meat that we've raised and I'm pretty sure that Skywise is too. Besides, if Spirit realized that the chicken that we were preparing for dinner was a hen that she'd known she'd never eat chicken again!

So it looks like preparing for retirement and preparing for a possible mini ice-age are going to dovetail nicely.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 4:48am
Print Post  
It would appear -- at least according to this report -- that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been a good thing. In fact, if it weren't for that most of us probably wouldn't be here.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35307800

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 11:55pm:
I did more digging and found this book: Chill : A Reassessment of Global Warming Theory, Does Climate Change Mean the World Is Cooling, and If So What Should We Do About It? by Peter Taylor. It is divided into two sections -- "Science" and "Politics" All the reviews are 4 and 5 stars and does not seem to be overburdened with "religious" overtones.  I've found it on Amazon and the Barnes and Noble site. I'm going to take a chance and order it. Once I've had a a chance to read it, I'll report back.

This book arrived today and since it's time to get off my feet, I'm gonna go dig into it. Be back later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Days like today it's easy to believe a mini ice-age is on the way. Chill is a thick book with small print so it is slow going. The last "mini" was during the period from 1400 to 1700 during which the human race did not go extinct so that is one thing we probably don't have to worry about. According to the author, we are likely already heading into the cooling period. The book was written in 2009 and he states that he expected the cooling trend to start in "this decade" and the last few winters seem to be bearing that out.
"Winter is coming" indeed.
As I suspected, the biggest problem and the one he mentions first is food security.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
As I write this the Blizzard of '16 is bearing down on the Eastern Seaboard with 24 inches of snow and 50 mph winds predicted for the Washington, DC area. [Karma much?] Looking at that I have to wonder, what if such storms were common occurrences? What if you could reasonably expect several such storms over the course of a winter? What if they covered whole regions -- like the Blizzard of '78 or the current storm? What if being snowed in for a week or more was a reasonable expectation? What if THAT was the "new normal"?

Something to think about.......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Today is April 8th. Normally, it would be warming up, "freeze warnings" would be a thing of the past with only the occasional "frost warning" occurring in low lying areas. People would be getting their gardens ready and putting out some of the "cool weather" plants. Those things aren't happening...

When we headed out this morning, the temperatures were in the low 30's and random snowflakes could be seen. We've had widespread freeze warnings in the last three weeks. We had high winds last weekend that if it had been snowing would have qualified as "blizzard conditions". The weather was cold but thankfully there was no rain/snow to deal with. States to the north, and some areas not so far "north" have seen snow in the past ten days and needless to say I'm not the only one saying "Explain to me again how this 'global warming' thing is supposed to work." The government is wanting to take legal action against anyone that disputes "climate change/global warming" but I think that they might have a problem getting a jury to convict -- especially if a polar vortex comes through during the trial.... Smiley Once my eyes are healed, I'll get back to reading Chill. The size of the print defeated me and I had to put it aside but I "should" be able to read in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
It is currently 16 degrees here -- a heat wave compared to what we've been having -- and Erie, PA has 60 inches of snow on the ground last I heard. I went forth to Amazon yesterday and searched "Mini-ice age" and got a lot more "hits" than I did the last time I searched the topic. The "Mini-ice age" climate model seems to be gaining traction to judge by the number of books on the subject. I ordered two of the books: Cold Winter by John Casey and Cold Times by Dr. Anita Bailey. Cold Winter explains the "how and why" and Cold Times is about what to expect and how to adapt. They should arrive after the first of the year.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 5:58am
Print Post  
I've been inventorying books that would be useful for "mini-ice age" living. I have a pretty good stack. They've been pulled from my "self-sufficiency/survival" shelves. I've ordered another book tonight -- that makes 3 since Amazon got my account straightened out -- and I'm looking at three more that I "may" get to fill in some areas where I have only one book on the subject. Everything is conjecture at this point at least as far as how bad it will be here in the U.S. The Third World will be hit hardest since they're stressed to start with. I can't do anything about them. All I can do is take care of us and maybe be in a position to help someone else.

Post # 39,493
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:00am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
The President made a remark that the East Coast -- which is more or less buried right now -- needed some "global warming" with the implication that it's imaginary. This brought out the global warming fanatics in full cry. There's no point in trying to have a rational conversation with them. Replying to one comment I said: "Some people will be screaming 'global warming' while their roof is caving in from the snow load." This will probably cause no end of abuse/personal attacks to be heaped on my head but since I'm not following the post, I'll never see them unless it pops up in my news feed again. At the moment, they're saying between one to three inches of snow over night -- it's currently snowing -- and it's 20 degrees right now. Lows for mid-week are predicted to be in the negative single digits. It is nearly impossible to believe in "global warming" under those conditions.

I'm waiting none too patiently for my books to arrive. I figure that any -- if not most -- "mini-ice age prep" I do would also work for a "warming" scenario so what the heck, going for it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I ordered a book about composting today. We might as well get serious about it since we're going to need compost regardless.

It's currently snowy and 12 degrees, down from 18 this morning.. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2017 at 3:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 3:29am
Print Post  
It's now 4 degrees and windchills down to -25 are expected tonight. The northern part of the state will be coldest. They have a ton of lake effect snow on the ground. I'm editing my fb newsfeed as I can to minimize the "global warming is a fact and any contrary opinion is heresy" posts. Between that and the rabid "Trump haters" it's taking all my will power not to shoot the computer which would be counterproductive since I need it!

Off topic: The swamp is being drained as promised and I wonder what those who have so much invested in hating Trump will do when the last of the muck has drained away and they find out just how dirty their idols are...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I googled "ice-age preparations" and got a bunch of hits going back several years. Because I'm ebil, I shared two of the articles I found to facebook, open to the public. Heads will explode I'm sure but that's sometimes necessary to clear out the solid blue mush that some people use for brains so some critical thinking programs can be installed.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:30pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
No exploding heads yet but one article did get a like. I ordered another book The Year-Round Solar Greenhouse: How to Design and Build a Net-Zero Energy Greenhouse. There are a number of other books that look interesting but I'm holding off for the moment. I need to read what I have first.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 3:42am
Print Post  
I really wish that the vendors I ordered those books from had shipped them with the USPS. They used UPS Innovations instead and consequently, they've been sitting in various UPS facilities since Saturday -- Friday for some of them -- because of the holiday weekend whereas if the Postal Service had them, they'd all be on the dispatch dock in Indianapolis waiting to head for the local post office. It will be Wednesday -- if I'm lucky -- before anything shows up.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I "might" get one of the books tomorrow, Thursday at the latest -- provided UPS gets the lead out and hands it off to the Post Office reasonably quickly. I don't know about the other one since there's no tracking on it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:54am
Print Post  
No books. *sigh*
I've printed out most of the information I've collected and put it in a binder. I'm using a 1 inch one and I think I'll need a bigger one before too long. How big is anyone's guess. I'll have to see how fast information accumulates.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Dark Winter came today. I'll be reading it this afternoon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Cold Times arrived today. I haven't started reading it yet but after a  quick glance through it looks like a primer on how to live a (mostly) 1800's lifestyle -- which if that's what we have to do, there will be a massive die off of the human race. Personally, I don't think we will regress farther back that the 1930s/Depression Era. I could be wrong but we won't know until we get there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint