Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin'? XLIV: The Post Awakens! (Read 22039 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin'? XLIV: The Post Awakens!
Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 6:06am

Dinner's done and I'm waiting for Skywise to get home. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow. I guess I'll find out when I get up.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 6:38am

Skywise is home, I'm yawning and it's time to head out.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 3:44pm

Greetings.

Skywise and I have been talking "retirement" this morning. The month and day that he'll be able to retire is September 1st. What year hasn't been decided yet. The mortgage will be paid off on September 1, 2018 so it probably won't be before then. That date is also our 39th wedding anniversary. Skywise says his retirement would be the best anniversary present he could give me.
I guess it's time to start "hardcore" planning. The financial end is taken care of -- we started that decades ago -- it's everything else that needs to be planned....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:41pm

Skywise is at work and I'm still thinking about the lifestyle changes that retirement is going to bring. Our income will be fixed -- no overtime coming in -- and some expenses will decrease (Skywise's work wardrobe, gas to get to work) while others will increase (groceries). There will be changes in routine, especially meal planning. We'll be having "breakfast food" for breakfast instead of "lunch food" which happens a lot now. Skywise will be having dinner at home at "dinner time" instead of when he gets home. All of us will be eating at the same time and there will be no more cooking dinner at midnight. The van will be paid off then and we "should" be paying off a second vehicle and I'll be working on doing that as fast as I can. The washer and dryer are holding up pretty well but I don't expect them to last indefinitely. The refrigerator will have to be replaced because a) I don't want to have to replace it unexpectedly and b.) I absolutely hate the one we have! I'm glad that Moonie wants to start gardening 'cause growing at least some of our own food will help with the grocery bill. I'm also going to have to remember what I learned while watching Mom can as I was growing up and learn the rest. There's no point in growing your own food if you can't put it up for the winter! So I'll probably be buying a canner pretty soon and start experimenting. Moonie and I are gonna have to acquire some skills and maybe Spirit will pick up some too at least I hope so.

So some year soon on September 1st, we're going to "go on vacation" and never come back......
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2016 at 10:03pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 4:35am

Currently listening to "Tales from the Vienna Woods" -- a very long waltz -- and thinking about how to write/arrange a "Retirement Action Plan" since everything I can find online concerning planning for retirement is about financial planning. We've been doing that for over 30 years and we're in as good a shape as can be expected for the situation we've found ourselves in. There won't be any lavish vacation trips or second homes but we should have enough income barring hyperinflation or similar catastrophe. No, what I'm looking for is what skills I need to master for us to be more self-sufficient so our income will go as far as possible. I may have to alter my focus from "extending our retirement income" to "becoming self-sufficient". I've started pulling the relevant books from our library -- which is scattered in shelves all over the basement -- and see what I have on the topic. Right now, I'm going to relax and use my imagination to waltz with a handsome man or two even though I can't waltz........

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 6:14am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 7:51pm

Greetings.
We're back from grocery and STAR WARS toy shopping. We also got a second desk chair so the Queen and I can each have one! The Queen iz happy!

Skywise is now at work and I'm caught up and about to get to work myself.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 4:18am

All the day's chores are done except for dinner including getting my hair dyed. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow if anything. Another case of finding out when I wake up!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 6:40am

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2016 at 6:40am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 5:32pm

Greetings.
We ended up making a kitty litter run this morning -- got 100 pounds of it -- and had lunch.

Skywise is thinking of retiring in 2020 which would give us more time to get our ducks in a row/cats herded as well as getting a few more large budget items taken care of.

"I" am thinking about tea and a donut....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:34am

Day's chores are done except for dinner.
Someone feline had an "accident" on our bedroom floor and I had to scrub the rug. Oh happy day.
The hardware I ordered for my new sword arrived today and I'm going to start the ordering process for the blade tonight. I have to email them to find out how much shipping will be so I can fill out the order. I "could" order online but I'm going to use a check. After Spirit's birthday and Christmas, my credit card needs to recover!Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 6:41am

I sent the email to the company that sells the blade I want to get the shipping charges so I'll be sending off the order next week after I get the information. Skywise is home so I'm going to head out. He has the whole weekend off -- Smiley -- which is good and it is supposed to snow which isn't good but it is to be expected since it IS January!

Anyway, I'm gonna take my tired little self to bed.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2016 at 6:43am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 5:50pm

Greetings.
We're back from Greenwood and my knees are killing me 'cause we have a front on the way. I'm gonna get prone and hope for some improvement. Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 11:11pm

Penthesilea wrote on Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:34am:

Someone feline had an "accident" on our bedroom floor and I had to scrub the rug. Oh happy day.

Well, the "someone " is SunLord. He made a mess in Moonie's room which I cleaned up while trying not to suffocate from the stench. The stench tells us that it is probably a tummy bug of some kind since he seems okay otherwise.
I hope he gets over it quickly.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:30am

No further accidents, thank Bast.
Dinner is over.
It's still raining but they're saying we'll get around 2 inches of snow before this front is through. 
Thinking about Hellion 2.0's scabbard and belt hanger design and making notes.
Also thinking about Book 4 and the two short stories I've been working on.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 4:31am

Since Skywise is home and I don't have to wait for him and my eyes are giving out, I'm sleepy and I'm getting cold, I'm heading for bed.

Post # 36,900

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:28pm

Greetings.
The lights went out at 4:55 am and came back on at 7:15 am. I woke up at 5:45 with a headache which finally went away around 8. Unfortunately, I couldn't do more that doze what with husband and cats wanting my attention. So, I've finally given up on sleep and now everyone is being quiet.
We have about 3 inches of wet snow on the ground and are unlikely to go anywhere today 'cause they won't plow the road until late so it will be clear for the morning rush hour and the school bus. Spirit will be cross all day because she'll want her Sunday taco fix and chicken fix.

No one should be surprised if I'm grumpy today......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:48am

I'm feeling a little under the weather -- have all day -- so I'm heading out early.

Everyone sleep well and be safe.  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 3:39pm

Greetings.
It's still cold but I'm feeling better this morning. I'll be ordering my new sword blade today -- got the email with the shipping charge this morning.
I'll be conserving megabytes today -- used too many yesterday -- so I won't be online much. Skywise is working the really late shift so I'll be around for a bit after 2 a.m. Now I'm gonna catch up quick and get offline.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:04pm

Well, Skywise's schedule is kinda up in the air so I'm expecting him home between about 12:30 am and 3:30 am.  Smiley Smiley

I ordered my new sword blade today and the two books on swordsmanship I ordered last week arrived today. I take that as a good sign!

Some time ago I picked up a book about home treatment and/or diagnosis of 28 common knee problems. Some of them, like "dislocated knee", are more rehabilitation than self-treatment since treating your own dislocated knee is.... "problematic". Most of them though are for problems that you can work on yourself after basic medical treatment or without. I found two conditions in the book that I'm familiar with. One "Subluxing kneecap/Patellar Dislocation" pretty much describes the "knee problem" that I've had for decades. That problem has cleared up substantially the last few years after my kneecap rather loudly popped into place after a trip to the state fair. Now when it acts up tightening the muscles on the front of my thigh solves the problem. The second one -- which is the one giving me problems now -- is "Patella Tendinitis/Jumper's Knee" which causes pain on the shin directly below the kneecap and in my case sometimes halfway down the shin to my ankle. I suspect that the "Jumper's Knee" might have come about due to the "Patellar Dislocation." Not that I really care. I'm more concerned what to do about it so I'm going to read the relevant passages, try them and see what develops -- a lot less pain I hope!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 6:59am

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 4:05pm

Greetings.
Heading out for town. Be back later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 7:21pm

We're back.  The trip into town was "interesting" as there were patches of heavy snow falling along the route but things had cleared out by the time we started home. Skywise found what he was looking for and after making two stops, I now have almost all the tools I need for the "sword project". After due consideration and the contemplation of the potential for disaster, I decided to forgo the propane torch and use a soldering iron instead. Since I have NO idea where ours is and what shape it is in, I'll be getting a new one. That, acid core solder and 2 hour epoxy are the only things I still need to get and since I'm not going to be fastening things together before I have my eye surgery, there's no hurry.
Now I'm going to get caught up.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Skywise is on his way to work. He says I look tired and I can't argue. I am tired. I don't know why exactly except that all I want to do is sleep -- which makes it darn hard to get anything done!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 5:36am

I've been talking to Warden Dike's older sister on facebook tonight. Their mom's in a nursing home and the administration there is ripping the old lady off. They really went too far today, they "appropriated" her mail instead of giving it to her. They opened it all and found two checks that they then cashed and deposited that they had no right to. I really don't need to check with Skywise to know that KC's Postal Inspector's Office would be VERY interested in such goings on.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40
Send TopicPrint