Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Amazon Style: The Full Panopy of War (Read 4618 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Amazon Style: The Full Panopy of War
Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 4:52am
Print Post  
I ordered some smallish pieces of leather today through Amazon. It will be a while before I tackle the breastplate but I can get started on some of the smaller projects and the decorative pieces that will go on the breastplate. I'm going to take my time and do it right. I'm still thinking about how I'd want to do the helmet -- if I do it -- and the arrow quiver which I'm definitely doing. I can do some preliminary work on that project too since the quiver also has some "decorative" pieces on it that I can do before I get to the "quiver proper" since I have decided how big it will be.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 5:43am
Print Post  
I've been thinking about designs for my quiver and a helmet when I wasn't actively engaged in dealing with the power outage. With the computer powerless, I couldn't access any of my writing -- a definite drawback to "electronic" writing -- and frankly between dealing with no electricity and my upcoming surgery, my brain is drawing a complete blank on all "book-related" subjects. But I do have some ideas about how to do the helmet but it is the quiver that is giving me fits. I'm trying to find -- online -- a piece of leather that is 18 by 24 inches wide and about ⅛th inch thick. No easy task as I'm finding out and "piecing" it presents other problems although I may be able to design something to make it unnoticeable. I hope so anyway, a new quiver is something I can start using immediately. I intend to get back to archery once I can see and I REALLY need to get outside more. Who knows, it might recharge my mental batteries....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Ordered some leather for my armguards/bracers. That's one of the smallish projects I can work on while working on my breastplate design. I've listed everything I'm going to make out of leather and divided it up by thickness. That way I can have an idea if that large piece is enough for more than one project or if there would be too much left over in the wrong thickness for anything else.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 3:32am
Print Post  
I think I've come up with an approach to helmet design that "should" allow me to make a helmet with the details I want without spending a fortune on leather and having a lot of little bits left over. We'll see anyway.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 1:06am
Print Post  
I've had an idea for incorporating protective lenses into the helmet. I won't be able to test it out until I'm actually making it but if it works, it would protect the wearer's eyes in larpy situations where projectile weapons -- especially Nerf guns and bows -- were being used. Their presence would be "ignored" the same way that modern glasses in "medieval" settings are now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:56am
Print Post  
One of the two major tooling designs for the breastplate is finished -- or will be once I do some fancy pasteup with the elements. The other one needs more thought and design work but I'm pleased so far. I'm not ready to make the breastplate itself but I can work on the reinforcing pieces, get them perfect and then put them aside until I need them.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2016 at 6:09pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I got the leather for my armguards today which is good -- something crafty to look forward to -- and I finally found the pattern that I'm going to alter for my breastplate which is also good but when I did, I discovered that the precut piece that was going to be the centerpiece reinforcement piece for the back is too big. Now if I was a big, muscular, broad shouldered male type person, there wouldn't be a problem but... my shoulder/back width is more modest so I'm going to need a smaller circle -- something on the order of 8 to 10 inches rather than 12 I think but I'm going to measure like hell and make as many "non-leather" prototypes as necessary before I take utility knife to leather! That stuff is expensive! I could get a 6 inch circle from a vendor on Amazon but I'd have to get 25 of them at $50 plus shipping. Smiley So.... I'll be cutting my own -- VERY CAREFULLY!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
As I mentioned elsewhere......

MY SWORD BLADE IS COMING!!!!! Smiley

It's last reported location is Madison, Wisconsin -- I just checked -- and is still scheduled to be here on Thursday. Once my eyes are healed up enough and I know if I'll need glasses or not I'll start on my various and many projects -- after I get any glasses I may need. I'll probably work on both the knife I have "in progress" and the sword at the same time although the knife will probably be finished first.  Smiley Smiley

MY SWORD BLADE IS COMING!!!!! Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:54am
Print Post  
MY SWORD BLADE IS IN CHICAGO!!! Or it was at 4:28 this morning. Hopefully, it will get to Indianapolis tonight if it isn't there already. I just hope we get home tomorrow before the FedEx guy gets here. 

In other news, I think I've figured out how to alter the pattern I'm using for my breastplate so I can use the previously mentioned 12 inch leather circle. I will make an altered pattern and see if my idea will work. Certainly, altering the pattern would be easier than trying to cut a perfect circle out of leather and the bigger the design is, the easier it will be to tool and color. I'm also thinking about helmet design. Since I'm going to have to continue wearing glasses -- a situation about which I am NOT gonna bitch -- I'm going to modify my preliminary design so that the eye and cheek guards fit OVER my glasses. It's probably something I'll have to figure out as I go along but being able to wear a helmet that protects my glasses would be a real help. Of course, with these implanted lenses I won't be as nearsighted without glasses as I was but I still wouldn't want to trust my eyesight in a larpy combat without them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 3:52am
Print Post  
MY SWORD BLADE LEFT CHICAGO AT 9:39 AND IS PRESUMABLY ON I-65 HEADING TO INDIANAPOLIS! IF THERE ARE NO DELAYS ON THE HIGHWAY, IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR SO NORTH OF THE CITY.  Smiley

I'm excited in case you can't tell!  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
My sword blade arrived on Thursday when I was in no shape to enjoy it but at least we were home when the FedEx truck arrived and Skywise took custody of it.
The tang is shorter than expected so I'm figuring out how to do what I want to do with it. I've just about got the particulars figured out and I'll be consulting with Skywise about the best way to proceed. The guard I was going to use is a bit too small in comparison with the sword and I've been looking for the same style in a larger size. I've located -- finally! -- a vendor in Canada that has two and I'm waiting for him to get back to me -- via email -- with details on how he wants to be paid. Naturally, he does NOT have online ordering. Smiley
In other news, I've enlarged the design I want to put on the back of the breastplate so I can put it on the 12 inch leather circle if it turns out that I can enlarge the back of the breastplate enough to accommodate it.
The only thing slowing me down right now is being "farsighted". No one mentioned that when we were discussing surgery and I'm telling Uni in no uncertain terms that this "farsighted [expletive deleted!]" is NOT ACCEPTABLE!! Hopefully, Uni will pay attention.....

Master_Circle_1_resized_.png ( 151 KB | Downloads )
Master_Circle_1_resized_.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
We're going to be heading into town shortly for lunch and to find 1000 to 2000 grit "sandpaper". My sword was sent unpolished and when I did manage to get some of the blacking off last night, circular "grind marks" were clearly visible. So I'm going to have to polish it myself which will take lots of different abrasives, elbow grease and time. It is a nuisance and for the price I paid I was expecting the blade to be polished but it isn't like it has to be finished a week from Tuesday. I'll finish the knife first, and work on the pommel -- which will also take time -- and work on the rest of the kit while slowly, painstakingly working on the blade. Fortunately, I've found some good articles online that I've copied for reference.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
We decided to skip hunting for sandpaper today. It's too nice to be in town and Skywise goes back to work tomorrow. He'll be on the super-late shift next week so we'll have plenty of time to prowl the automotive and/or hardware stores before he goes to work. NO appointments until Friday! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2016 at 7:30pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Just finished the pattern for Hellion 2.0's scabbard. I'll work on it while polishing the blade....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:34am
Print Post  
I've been working on Hellion 2.0's scabbard and I'm making good progress. I should have it assembled and ready to finish in a couple of days but I'm going to hold off on the finishing until the grip is ready to finish too.

The pattern for my "amazon" knapsack arrived today so I'll be looking around for appropriate fabric -- black denim if I can find it -- and deciding what, if any, modifications I'm going to make.

I just finished my "leather shopping list" since I expect to get to the Tandy leather store in Indianapolis this week. In addition to a sizeable piece of 8 to 9 oz leather, I'm going to get the dye and paint items I don't really want sent through the mail. Not only is the postage substantial but the chance of breakage is great no matter how careful the handlers are. So I'd rather pick it up myself. I have to do it while we're on vacation since they're closed on Sundays which is the only day that Skywise can count on being off work.

I'm going to need to get some arrows that I can modify for larp so I can build and test them. And all the while thinking about Book 4.....

Post # 37,555
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 1:16am
Print Post  
I bought a big old slab of leather today along with some other supplies at the Tandy store. One item I've had to order and I'll probably have to order one or two more due to Tandy not carrying them anymore. POO!
I've figured out the dimensions of the quiver I want to make and I hope to be starting it shortly. I'm still thinking about how I want to decorate it but I've gotten "assembly" pretty much worked out. I'd like to get the bugs worked out of my scabbard design first so I can use it to store the blade in it. I won't be staining and finishing it immediately but an unstained/unfinished scabbard with do to protect the blade while I'm working on it. I intend to take my time with it so having a way to safely store it is important. I also have the knife to finish. I'll be doing most of the work in the kitchen and I'm going to be putting up and taking down my "workshop" constantly. Oh well, maybe someday we'll have an actual workshop around here.
I also bought this belt bag kit that I'm going to put together for part of my "larp kit". It probably won't be my only one but it is a good one to start with. I'm going to put my own design on it rather than use the design that comes with it. I intend to mark all my gear with the same design as an "identifier" for my stuff.

Post # 37,573
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2016 at 3:50am by Penthesilea »  

71Si5qT-N0L__SL1350_.jpg ( 137 KB | Downloads )
71Si5qT-N0L__SL1350_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Well, a little internet searching has confirmed that Dick's Sporting Goods -- which has a location in Bloomington that we're near every week -- has the type of arrow I need to make larp-safe arrows. The color is all wrong but I should to be able to paint them. Bright red is the color of choice since that color seldom appears in nature -- male cardinals are the only thing that comes to mind -- which would make them easy to spot on the ground.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - May 3rd, 2016 at 2:09am
Print Post  
After inspecting the scabbard I just more or less finished, I've decided to make another one. I won't be able to finish this one like I want -- too much splicing and shimming for it to look neat -- but it will serve to protect the blade -- and anyone that comes near it -- until the permanent scabbard is finished. I have about half of what I need and I know what I need to get and what needs to be adjusted thanks to making this one. I will, of course, "test fit" the new one as fanatically as I did the first, just to be safe! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - May 6th, 2016 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley I thought I'd found a two lobed nickel silver guard that was big enough for Hellion 2.0. I ordered two from a vendor in Canada, paid a price that made my eyes water a bit and today they arrived. They are unpolished but only about a millimeter larger than what I already have. Which means that I'm well set up with guards for knives -- which will serve me in good stead if/when I decide to make more knives -- but I STILL have nothing big enough for the sword. I have a guard left over from making the first Hellion but it was "miscast" -- one "arm" is shorter than the other -- and I can't use it. So, finally fed up to my eyebrows with hunting for something that doesn't seem to exist anymore, I bit the bullet and ordered a piece of nickel silver bar stock that is ¼ inch thick an inch wide and a foot long. Or at least those are the measurements given. I'm pretty sure that the "foot" measurement will be right. Anyway, I intend to pray fervently to Hephaestus, cut off a 4 inch piece of that bar and make my own damned guard! I'm already planning to make the pommel -- which is a crescent that's gonna be a "challenge" to do -- so I might as well make the guard too while I'm at it. As I said, fervent petitions to Hephaestus will be made! The picture below is what I'm currently hoping to copy.
I'll have enough barstock to make three tries.......
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2016 at 3:26am by Penthesilea »  

Double_end_knife_guard.png ( 39 KB | Downloads )
Double_end_knife_guard.png

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - May 7th, 2016 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I ran some 100 grit sandpaper over the sword blade to start taking off the nasty black stuff. It lightly scratched the blade but I'm sure that by the time I work my way through to the 2000 grit, those marks will be long gone. I'll use the 1000 grit next. This is probably gonna be a long process but it doesn't have to be finished by a week from last Tuesday...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - May 11th, 2016 at 3:10am
Print Post  
The second scabbard is almost ready to assemble. So far the "test fittings" have gone well. I'll need to do some shaping with sandpaper and maybe the wood rasp once it is assembled but so far, I'm pleased.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - May 11th, 2016 at 4:28am
Print Post  
The scabbard is lined and assembled with every 2" clamp I have on it. I'm going to need more -- a LOT more -- for the shield making project so I'd better get started on getting them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - May 11th, 2016 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on May 6th, 2016 at 9:25pm:
Smiley Smiley I thought I'd found a two lobed nickel silver guard that was big enough for Hellion 2.0. I ordered two from a vendor in Canada, paid a price that made my eyes water a bit and today they arrived. They are unpolished but only about a millimeter larger than what I already have. Which means that I'm well set up with guards for knives -- which will serve me in good stead if/when I decide to make more knives -- but I STILL have nothing big enough for the sword. I have a guard left over from making the first Hellion but it was "miscast" -- one "arm" is shorter than the other -- and I can't use it. So, finally fed up to my eyebrows with hunting for something that doesn't seem to exist anymore, I bit the bullet and ordered a piece of nickel silver bar stock that is ¼ inch thick an inch wide and a foot long. Or at least those are the measurements given. I'm pretty sure that the "foot" measurement will be right. Anyway, I intend to pray fervently to Hephaestus, cut off a 4 inch piece of that bar and make my own damned guard! I'm already planning to make the pommel -- which is a crescent that's gonna be a "challenge" to do -- so I might as well make the guard too while I'm at it. As I said, fervent petitions to Hephaestus will be made! The picture below is what I'm currently hoping to copy.
I'll have enough barstock to make three tries.......

The barstock has arrived. It is, as promised, an inch wide. I will now go into the "careful planning/design" stage for the guard. It is a simple design but it involves "curves". I'll decide about making the buttcap after the guard is finished since I might have to make more than one attempt at it.

I've ordered some # 17 and 18 blades for my really heavy X-Acto knife so I can start chiseling on the ebony scales for my dagger handle. I've taken the clamps off of the scabbard and it currently holds the sword blade. I'll wait a few days to make sure that there are no serious problems before I start rounding off the square edges.

Things are starting to come together......

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2016 at 3:25am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - May 12th, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
A catalog came with the bar of nickel silver I ordered yesterday and in it I discovered ebony scales of the correct size for my knife project. After due consideration, I ordered them. It should save me considerable work and I can put the pieces I already bought aside for another project. Nothing like having a stockpile!

I'm getting another book on fighting with the longsword today which will make three by the same author who is apparently one of if not "the" expert on medieval sword fighting in the modern era. He has a fourth book on the use of the medieval dagger which I will get later.

Now that my eyes are healed -- that should be confirmed tomorrow -- I can get some glasses for "close work" and get started studying EVERYTHING I've been wanting to study for the last year, year and a half.......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - May 13th, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
The book arrived today -- Smiley -- so as soon as I can read comfortably -- which I can't at the moment -- I'll start in reading them.

It's taken two days -- I'll admit that I quit yesterday when my hands started cramping -- but I now have a 4 x 1 x ¼ inch piece of nickel silver sawed off that one foot piece that came yesterday. Now I get to draw the design on it and start the drilling, filing and sawing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint