Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 12861 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
October 10, 2016

This is a new deal for me although I’ve always loved costuming I’ve never gotten into it seriously. It looks like a lot of fun and there’s a large organization of cosplayers in central Indiana. Another plus is that the owner of the local comics store is a cosplayer and he spearheads a comic themed float building project each year and the float and a swarm of cosplayers march in three local parades in the fall, the last being the Fall Foliage Festival parade each October. I don’t know if my legs would permit me to march in the parades but riding on the float is a possibility. There is also at least two Ghostbusters groups in central Indiana that make appearances like the STAR WARS groups do. So after much thought, I’ve decided to make a Ghostbusters (2016) costume. It’s one that doesn’t require me to lose enough weight to wear spandex or play an old lady. None of the current team of Ghostbusters are in their 60’s but on the other hand, none of them have supermodel figures either. So I embarked on the research part of the project in and have been making notes ever since.

I haven’t given up on LARPing forever, it looks to be tons of fun, but it just isn’t doable right now and I’m really tired of waiting for the “fun” to start.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
October 13, 2016

I'm seriously considering making a Ghostbuster's outfit over the winter. The coverall is no problem. I sew like nobody's business. It's the proton pack and the other gear that would be a problem. I REALLY need for Sony to authorize a "blueprint" book......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
October 14, 2016

I am in luck. I've found a complete Ghostbusters coverall on Amazon. I haven't ordered it yet -- it's $119 plus shipping. I haven't priced fabric yet but $7.00 a yard is a good ballpark figure, plus the time involved in getting and altering patterns and making the "test" outfit (plus the fabric for that) so $119 isn't all that unreasonable and if I get it, I can concentrate on the accessories: name tape, belt, gloves, boots, shin guards and the all important proton pack, PKE meter and ghost trap. Fortunately, the cosplay community has been quick off the block and there are a lot of pictures, diagrams and "how I did it" articles on the net. I just talked to the Adored Hubby -- he's on the way to work -- and he thinks it is a good idea. Who knows, we may end up as a family group of Ghostbusters......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
October 15, 2016

I’m considering what I'll need to "scratch build" a Ghostbusters proton pack since I flatly REFUSE to pay $600 for a kit that isn’t even the kind of pack I want! I know I'm going to need an inexpensive pack frame, some ⅛ inch square hardware cloth, the lid to a small metal (ideally) tool box, metal pipe (probably unless weight becomes an issue) and some screws -- for starters. I'm gonna need lots of pictures. Fortunately, I know where to find them....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
October 16, 2016

Skywise and I are indecently pleased! I found diagrams with measurements for the proton pack online. They come from the director's twitter account. I also pulled a bunch of pictures that were taken at Comic-Con -- closeups! -- and I now know I'm going to need some metal electrical boxes among other things.......ACE Hardware and Rural King are gonna love me.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
October 16, 2016

From the pictures, it looks like the frame is scratch built which given the financial constraints the Ghostbusters were under at the time, makes sense. I don't know if I'll go that far for authenticity. It will depend on if I can find a frame that fits the dimensions given for the pack. Also, Skywise has a certain gleam in his eye that tells me that he's thinking about how he can add "bells and whistles" to the project....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
October 17, 2016

I found a Ghostbuster’s coverall -- with all the pockets and reflective trim -- on amazon and it’s a good thing I didn’t order it when I found it. Tonight I found the IDENTICAL item -- also on Amazon -- for $5.00 less and it COMES WITH THE BELT! It ships from Taiwan but that’s okay. One less thing I have to figure out how to make!

I also found copies of the gloves -- in fabric -- and customizable name patches. They also have the boots but I never buy footwear without trying it on. I have (really) heavy calves and Godzilla feet. Besides, they didn’t come NEAR to having my size! So I’ll buy a pair of work boots -- probably men’s -- that look like what the actresses wear and customize the reflective covers for them. That will leave the proton pack. From what I and Skywise have been able to figure out from the pictures I’ve found, it looks like the prop shop didn’t build the packs on any kind of pre-made backpack frame. From the looks of it, the packs are build on sheet metal -- probably aluminum -- cut and bent to size. I’d love a set of the sidearms but that will have to wait until the main unit is done and I can find more photo references. There IS, however, a Nerf GB sidearm and guess who’s going to get a couple the minute she can lay her hands on them......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
October 22, 2016

After much searching and wasting of megabytes I’ve decided that I’m going to have to make the reflective boot covers the Ghostbusters wear in some scenes. I’ve hunted high and low and can’t find them ready made. I’d hoped to save myself a little work but.... no joy.They are “supposed” to be part of a firefighter’s gear -- the reflective strips making them visible in low light conditions -- but I’ve had no luck finding them on the firefighter equipment sites. So, since I have several costume patterns that have patterns for boot covers, I’ll concentrate on finding suitable boots that fit and are comfortable and once I have them, I’ll make the covers to fit over them.

In other news, the Ghostbusters: Answer the Call -- yes, it has a subtitle now! -- has, as part of the special features -- very detailed renderings of the proton pack which reveals that it IS built on a solid sheet of metal (probably aluminum) rather than a backpack frame. It also has pictures of some of Holtzmann’s cool ghostbusting gadgets not limited to ghost traps and PKE meters, some of which may be built in the future. I’m going to have to make the name patch for the outfit too. The ones on Amazon are for the “original” Ghostbusters -- red on black -- and not the current team. I’m going nuts trying to figure out if the white letters go on an orange background with a border that matches the color of the overalls or if the background is the same color as the overalls with an orange border around each letter. I’m still trying to get a good look at them. Googling and asking for images does NOT help!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
October 23, 2016 12:40 am

I just watched the last section of Ghostbusters: Answer the Call -- gotta LOVE “scene selection”! -- and the name patches are definitely white letters with orange outlines on a background the same color as the coveralls. One more thing checked off “the list”!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
October 23, 2016

Okay, I've committed. I just ordered a Ghostbusters 2016 coverall and a pair of gloves. I've found a custom patch place where I can have some "special" pieces, including my name patch, made up. Footwear is going to be a combination of purchased (NO WAY will I be trying to make my own boots!) and DIY. We're still working on a "parts list" for the proton pack -- the only lists I've found online so far are for the original packs -- and I'll probably indulge in some accessories yet to be determined.....

I’ve just ordered the Ghostbuster’s coverall and the gloves. I’ve decided that since I’m not going to cosplay one of the characters in the movie, I’m going to create a new one and I’ve ordered a patch to represent her “speciality” from amazon and a couple of other things from a “custom patch” business to complete the look. Now, I’m thinking that she’ll need some special equipment for her speciality......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
October 28, 2016

*happy dance!* My Ghostbusters coveralls came today! So far I have the coveralls, the belt and the gloves. An additional patch I'm going to add came today too. NOW, I get to start customizing it! The zipper needs a tiny bit of work -- they didn't cut the opening down as far as they should have and I'm going to have to do some stitching. If I don't have thread to match, it shouldn't be hard to find. Which is good because I'm going to have to shorten the legs by about 6 to 8 inches -- won't know for sure until the Adored Hubby is around to pin up one leg. Yes, he knows how to do that -- which will mean not only hemming the legs but moving the reflector stripes up the legs too. The "thigh" pockets fall at the middle of my knees and those will have to be moved too if I want them to look right and be useful. I'm 5'6" and I guess that's "short" these days.

The Ghostbuster's patch on the sleeve looks kinda cheesy so I'll replace it with one I already have which is much better quality. The sleeves are only a little long and I won't need to shorten them. The top is fully lined -- which I wasn't expecting, the seams are serged with "jeans" stitching on all the seams and the fabric is a little heavier than "top weight". I haven't washed it yet -- obviously -- but for what I paid, it had better hold up! The only major "costume" piece remaining is footwear -- the work boots and the reflective shin guards. I'm going to have a customized name patch made up and some other patches that will go on the left sleeve.
I'm collecting notes on the GB 2016 proton pack and I can see the wheels turning in the Adored Hubby's head. I'd like a PKE meter and ghost trap too but the pack is the main thing. Once we have a good idea of what we'll need we'll be hitting the hardware stores and probably Amazon.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
November 1, 2016

I just ordered a MOLLE II backpack frame for my proton pack.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
November 6, 2016

The MOLLE II frame that I ordered came yesterday and it isn't going to work for my proton pack. It's too big for me and after some intensive research -- including enlarging some pictures -- I discovered that the director who gave out the measurements called for a "pack frame" when he meant a "pack base". The proton pack is build onto a metal base that has backpack straps attached to it. So I'll use the MOLLE II for something someday -- it's a perfect fit on the Adored Hubby -- and I'll be building my proton pack on a steel sheet.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
November 9, 2016

The hand grips for the wand on the proton pack arrived today. They are 1¼ inch motorcycle handlebar grips. They’ll need a little alteration but they should work fine. Now if the rest of the parts would be as easy to find!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
November 14, 2016

I’ve been beating my head against the wall trying to find something to build the proton pack on. The ideal item, an aluminum “motherboard” pre-bent and with mounting slots and made by two different fans is the “gold standard and impossible to find. Last night, I found [b]two[/] for sale on Ebay by one of the fans making them. After conferring with Moonie (“Do you want a pack too?” Her eyes lit up!) I ordered them both just now. Heh, fifteen people were “watching”. It wasn’t an auction so I have no idea why they thought there would be a price drop. Anyway, “ya snooze, ya lose!” is definitely in play here. If he makes more -- they are a “side business” I think -- I may get two or three more. They aren’t exactly cheap but worth it in time saved and aggravation avoided.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
November 15, 2016

The proton pack calls for a mesh “tea strainer” that is a foot across -- it’s the Faraday Cage for the power source. The largest I’ve found so far is 8 inches. The ones that are big enough aren’t mesh so I’m trying to figure out a Plan B for it if I can’t find one.

Most of the “fan built” packs I’m finding in my research are using copper tubing for the entire thing. Copper tubing is expensive. That’s why it is frequently looted out of abandoned houses or houses under construction.

Steel is less expensive but it is HEAVY and it rusts.

Aluminum is your friend and I’ll be using as much of it as is practical.

I’ll use a lot of “electrical” copper wire but it is relatively inexpensive in the size I’ll be using.

Once I get the base -- it should be shipped today -- I’m going to cut a piece of posterboard to size and draw everything out on it. using the measurements that were posted online. The schematic posted online and in Ghosts from Our Past is pretty good but I want something full sized. I’m in no particular hurry -- trying to be ready for a convention or a movie premiere -- so I’m going to take my time figuring things out and do it right.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
November 17, 2016

The base should arrive tomorrow. I’ve managed to locate the project boxes and maybe what I need for the Faraday cage on amazon. I am NOT going to pay $77 plus shipping for a 3D printed “top grill” for it. The piece in the photos of the real props looks familiar to Skywise and me so we’re going to keep looking. It isn’t like I have a deadline for this!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
November 19, 2016

The base didn’t arrive. I suspect that it was held up by the weather out west. It will be here Monday and I will continue to do research and make notes on how one builds a proton pack.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
November 20, 2016

After MUCH megabyte consuming research, I’ve decided that an integral part of the proton pack must have been scratch built by the GB prop shop because I can NOT find anything anywhere that is even an “almost close” match. So.... I’m gonna have to spring for a 3D printed one from one of the outfits that sell them. I tried to figure out how I could make my own  -- and I may still try -- but I’m getting myself resigned to buying one.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
November 23, 2016

Yesterday, I found a thread on a Ghostbusters forum in which they were attempting to identify the parts used to make the proton packs for the “reboot” movie. It looks like I'm going to be buying a lot more sheet metal than I'd planned. According to a post by someone who'd visited the set and talked to a prop man, with the exception of some "project boxes", a gauge, a ball valve and some odds and ends of hose and wire, everything was custom built in the prop shop. NO 3-D printing. So, it looks like I'll be doing some "scratch building". I'm already losing my mind trying to find what was used for the prototype for the door at the bottom of the pack and the above mentioned piece for the Synchrotron. At least now I can stop looking and get to keep my sanity and conserve megabytes. Fair trade! If the local ACE doesn't have aluminum in sheets and tubes a road trip to HobbyTown USA will be made after the first of the year. In the meantime, I'll gather what parts I can. I’m going to start working on the proton wand too. Scratch building the box that goes in the middle will take some time and thought.At least I have some approximate measurements.

I also ordered a metal mesh food cover to use as the Faraday cage for the pack yesterday. I’m hoping it will arrive soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
November 23, 2016

After careful examination of the available photographs, I’ve figured out how the proton gun/wand attaches to the pack when not in use. Gonna need steel and magnets.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
November 27, 2016

Quote:
The piece in the photos of the real props looks familiar to Skywise and me so we’re going to keep looking. It isn’t like I have a deadline for this!

I’m gonna have to eat my words here. I found a post on the above mentioned thread from one of the movie’s prop designers who stated firmly that almost everything on the proton packs was custom built in the prop shop using traditional methods. Only 2 items were 3-D printed and I’ll bet that top “grill” piece was one of them. So... since I don’t have a fully equipped prop shop or the skills to use one, I’ll be springing for that piece and maybe one or two others.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
November 29, 2016

Indecently pleased. I've found -- and purchased -- two hard to find items for my proton pack, one of which was considerably overpriced on ebay. The writing is going VERY well too!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
November 30, 2016

Yesterday and today were good days in terms of finding parts. Yesterday I found a suitable pan (12 inch deep dish pizza) for the synchotron base on Amazon which I ordered and after much searching and expending of megabytes, I found the hardware used to attach the proton gun/wand to the pack -- at a reasonable price, no less. Today, Amazon came through again and I was able to order an extremely hard to find ½inch ball valve with a green handle. What I ordered isn’t an EXACT match but it’s close enough. It’s a green handled ball valve and it DIDN’T cost me an arm, leg and/or the fillings in my teeth! I ordered 6 of them and with shipping included, it came out to less than $30.00. So yeah, Smiley Hopefully things will start arriving soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
December 3, 2016

I spent some time yesterday hunting parts for my proton pack. Right now, I’m only buying the “hard to impossible find” parts while I figure out how to put them together. I’ve been studying what others have done and combining the best parts. NOTHING has arrived yet -- including Skywise’s Christmas presents! -- so I’m not getting to do any “hands on” work on figuring things out. I think I’m going to need to build something that looks like a sub-woofer frame since they’re expensive and heavy heavy. Just need to figure out what to make it of and HOW to make it!

Ghostbusters International (the organization that oversees the official fan groups) has a link to an eBay seller who does custom Ghostbusters name patches, club patches, “no ghost” patches and such. I ordered name patches for all four of us -- thereby saving nearly $10 in postage -- and they were mailed today. They “should” arrive on Tuesday. Once the Christmas Chaos is over -- and I have the necessary designs drawn up -- I’ll order a few more things in advance of registering our group. I HAVE already set up a dedicated email account for when we start advertising for recruits and I’ll have a dedicated Tracfone by then too.

Business cards are also a possibility but I’ll need to come up with a cool design first.....
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:43pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Send TopicPrint