Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 12753 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #200 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I got the frame I ordered. It's okay for my purposes but the "glass" -- which I didn't expect to be real glass -- is a very thin and flimsy piece of plastic. Before I order more frames, I'm going to have to find out how much trouble replacing that plastic is going to be.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #201 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Found some GB props that I'd LOVE to have but they were sold in 2015 and it doesn't look like there will be another run of them. Arrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #202 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 5:52am
Print Post  
I just put in a bid on eBay for a prop. It's more than I wanted to pay but it is proving hard to find and I won't need to alter it too much if at all. I'm the first bidder and I have no intention of getting into a bidding war so if I don't get it, I'll just keep looking.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #203 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I still have the winning bid on the prop (a red/beige multi-line desk phone) and I just ordered a new camera identical to Moonie's. FedEx just delivered the spacers so it's a pretty good day so far.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #204 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:13am
Print Post  
I've had a cool idea for another piece of GB tech that fortunately I would not have to build from scratch. I was watching a RGB episode today in which the Ghostbusters consulted Tobin's Spirit Guide on a "first generation" desktop computer. This evening I thought "wouldn't it be cool to have Tobin's on a handheld device?" and I spent a couple of hours checking out PDAs and various ebook readers. I've finally found one that is inexpensive and "pocket sized". Since it isn't a "discontinued by the manufacturer" item I'm going to hold off getting it until the balance on my "GB dedicated" debit card is build back up. More research probably wouldn't hurt either. One thing I do know is that it would have plenty of room for Tobin's and anything else GB related that I might put on it. Since there are several versions of Tobin's, I might make up my own document in PDF and use that on the device.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:14am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #205 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Checked back with my "main" GB facebook group -- I'd asked for advice about the above mentioned device -- and found out someone has already built something similar. Great minds and all that! What he's done might be more "tech intensive" than I can handle but it is nice to know that I'm not the only 'Buster thinking up new toys....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #206 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 2:27am
Print Post  
My new camera will arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to document my various GB builds. This is good! I didn't want to get too far ahead without documentation. Otherwise, I might forget what I did when it came time to do it again!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #207 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
I still have the winning bid on the prop (a red/beige multi-line desk phone) and I just ordered a new camera identical to Moonie's. FedEx just delivered the spacers so it's a pretty good day so far.

I just got the email telling me that I got the phone. It's paid for and I should get it next week. With a little modification, I'll have the perfect prop Ghostbusters' office phone and if I run across one that's exactly what I want, I'll get that one too!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #208 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
The phone has shipped. It's coming from Mississippi, Priority Mail. eBay says it will be here Wednesday. USPS says Monday. I'm hoping for Sunday delivery, frankly.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #209 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
It will be here Monday. Fortunately, there's no rain in for forecast and we should be home well before dark.

According to the poorly written novelization of Ghostbusters (1984) Winston Zeddmore was in the Air Force: black belt in karate, worked in electronic countermeasures and is an expert shot. I like "Marines" better but I probably should go with "movie canon" rather than "comics canon" unless they failed to mention his military service in the movie.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #210 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 1:28am
Print Post  
The phone arrived yesterday. I was disappointed in that it isn't modular -- I "should" have remembered that! -- so I couldn't replace the handset and cord. I despaired. Then this evening I found a parts place that sells replacement handsets for non-modular phones. They have red ones and Skywise is pretty sure he can hook it up. I told him it doesn't have to work -- it's a prop after all -- just look like it does. It's more than I intended to pay but it is less than buying another phone. With a little paint, I can use this one so as soon as I put more money on my debit card I'll order it.

Post # 38,783
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 4:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #211 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:33am
Print Post  
I picked up the paint I need for the phone so I'm all set to paint it when I have the time. That probably won't be until after I get the handset -- which I haven't ordered yet -- 'cause I want as close to a perfect color match as I can get.

While in Jimmy Nash Park today, I saw that they have a number of "shelter" houses that are completely enclosed with a new one under construction. I checked the rentals on them when we got home and the problem of "where to meet" seems to be solved. The price is more than reasonable and the restrictions are in line with other places -- no smoking of any kind and no alcohol are the main ones. There's no "food service" of course but most of the other places I was looking at didn't have that either. We'd either have "bring your own food" or more likely organize a pitch-in if the meeting would run long. Hopefully, the shelters have "attached" restrooms -- the "facilities" I visited today were a short step above "vault" toilets -- and we will inspect the shelters before we decide to rent one.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #212 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I decided that the SCI GB handbook needed tweaking so I've been doing that. The main thing is that I'm adding "thumbnails" for the key characters in Ghostbusters' history. Some from the movies and some from the comics and deciding what information to use when it conflicts. I "think" I have it mostly figured out. One character from the comics HAS to be included because of his connection to another character so I'm arranging for him to be killed off in "this" continuity. The comics can and will do what they want with him. The second thing I'm working on is the "real world" part of the book. In addition to what Sony says about "doing stuff" while in costume, I've included prohibitions about smoking and drinking. For one thing, a lot of places, especially meeting places, prohibit smoking and drinking on their premises and for another, kids seem to be attracted to people wearing Ghostbusters costumes and gear and a drunk -- even slightly drunk -- Ghostbuster isn't the sort of image that Sony wants to promote. So, no smoking, drinking or foul language while in costume and "on duty". I hope that won't cost us members while we're recruiting.

Also, last night I FINALLY found pictures of the PKE meter used in GB1 and it's the "hairbrush" style. So now there are three types, GB 1/Hairbrush, the RGB style and the ATC style. Smiley At least I have a choice. Now to find instructions....
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:55pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #213 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
The only instructions/tutorials I've found on how to build a GB1 PKE meter involve 3-D printed parts. You can get the plans but those need a printer which cost more than lunch money. Pre-printed parts, if you can find them, are likely only slightly less expensive. Of the three options I have, a RGB variant seems to be my best choice. I was just thinking that I wish there was a book of instructions for making a set of Ghostbuster gear. The book coming out in October "should" be helpful but I think I'm going to have to write the instruction book myself. *sigh*  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #214 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
It will be here Monday. Fortunately, there's no rain in for forecast and we should be home well before dark.

According to the poorly written novelization of Ghostbusters (1984) Winston Zeddmore was in the Air Force: black belt in karate, worked in electronic countermeasures and is an expert shot. I like "Marines" better but I probably should go with "movie canon" rather than "comics canon" unless they failed to mention his military service in the movie.

I could not find a reference to Winston's military service in the movie but he's stated twice in the comics -- so far -- that he was a Marine so that's what I'm going with. Considering the kind of situations he finds himself in, "Marine" probably works better.

Post # 38,800
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:43pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #215 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:33am:

While in Jimmy Nash Park today, I saw that they have a number of "shelter" houses that are completely enclosed with a new one under construction. I checked the rentals on them when we got home and the problem of "where to meet" seems to be solved. The price is more than reasonable and the restrictions are in line with other places -- no smoking of any kind and no alcohol are the main ones. There's no "food service" of course but most of the other places I was looking at didn't have that either. We'd either have "bring your own food" or more likely organize a pitch-in if the meeting would run long. Hopefully, the shelters have "attached" restrooms -- the "facilities" I visited today were a short step above "vault" toilets -- and we will inspect the shelters before we decide to rent one.

I hunted around last night and found some old information about the shelter houses at Jimmy Nash Park. I know it's old because of the pricing structure and the fact that it was hard to find. At the time the information was posted, three shelters had fireplaces and rest rooms inside. At the time, only the Family Pavilion -- the largest and most expensive building -- was heated. That may not be the case now. There were workmen in the park while we were there and they were either remodeling/enclosing a shelter or building a new one. So far, I haven't found a map showing where the shelters are in the park. I'll make inquiries when we're ready to start recruiting which will take me out of my "comfort zone". This whole deal takes me out of my comfort zone but to have the kind of life I want, the comfort zone is gonna have to expand.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #216 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Moonie's "Official Photographer" patch for her uniform is FINALLY out of Thailand and in the US postal system. We "should" have it by the end of next week. It has to clear Customs but there shouldn't be a problem with that since I've been ordering a lot of stuff from Asian vendors without any hassles.

I just ordered a couple of GB posters through Amazon and those should arrive late next week too.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017 at 12:21am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #217 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 3:41am
Print Post  
It occurred to me that a "modern" PKE meter should have a USB port so information could be uploaded/downloaded from it to a computer. It would be a "dummy" of course but I'd be able to plug a flash drive or a cable into it for "show". I found the part I'd need on Amazon so I'd just have to figure out how to do it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #218 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:44am
Print Post  
I AM VICTORIOUS!! Smiley

Earlier this month, I ordered what I "thought" was a hardcover edition of Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal for use as a prop. The package came today and it wasn't a hardcover. It was a softcover and not in what I'd call "Like new" condition. I was bummed to put it mildly.  Smiley
Just now, I decided to find out if it had been published in hardcover anywhere. I went forth and googled and LO!! It had been published in hardcover... in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Smiley
I found a seller in the UK that sells internationally with FREE SHIPPING no less and ordered a copy. It will take a while to get it but they ship the next business day and since it's 4:45 am in London right now, my order will be waiting for them when they log on in a few hours.
So yeah, I'm pleased. Despite opposing forces, I'm going to get what I want. I'm hoping this is a trend....
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:47am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #219 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:40am
Print Post  
FINALLY, got Ghostbusters 101 #6 today. The "A" and "c" covers AND the much sought after and hard to find "Retailer Incentive" photo cover! The guy at the shop came up to me as soon as I entered the store and asked me if I was interested in the RI covers. I said "sure if I can find one." Then he showed me what was in his hand. It was the #6 RI with Kevin on the front. I snatched it and said "MINE!" He laughed and I went to collect the other copies. The Volume 4 collection came in the mail and I got the Volume 3 at the shop. I also got the Swiss Army knife I wanted for my GB uniform kit in the mail. All told, a pretty good Ghostbuster day.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #220 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 4:24am
Print Post  
The group that was trying to raise money to make a fan film fell really short of their goal but are pressing ahead anyway. I wish them luck.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #221 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Thought of something that needed to be in the Handbook that I'd overlooked. Naturally, I've already printed it but.... I'll print a fresh one before I make it into a pdf for members to download since I will undoubtedly find mistakes when I go over it after it has "set" for a while. And... new information about the ATC crew will likely come in that will need to be added between now and then.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #222 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I was tired of looking everywhere I could think of and I found a good price with free shipping so I ordered the 1¼ inch diameter aluminum tubing I need for the packs. After I put more money on my debit card, I'll order the 1⅜ inch tubing that I need. I had to order more than I strictly need -- 72 inches -- for all four but if I make a mistake I'll be able to start over without having to order more tubing.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:17pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #223 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
We picked up Moonie's uniform patch at the Post Office.
The aluminum tubing has shipped.
And......... the Ghostbusters flag (3 x 5 feet) I ordered has also arrived.
I need a portable flagpole.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #224 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:14am
Print Post  
It took several tries, a lot of thought and some mild "language" but I managed to drill the holes I needed in the 2 x 4 connector for the proton pack. The 'technique" needs to be refined considerably but I have three more to go so I "should" find the most efficient way to do it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25
Send TopicPrint