Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 12758 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #325 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
The book has arrived.
It is thick and heavy.
The dust jacket is 28½ inches long.
The paper I have for the new dust jacket is 24 inches long.

This will require some thought....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #326 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 2:34am
Print Post  
I'm going to need some fictional publishing houses for some of the GB "books". "Miskatonic University Press" would definitely be one except that someone is already using it online. *sigh* I'll have to come up with something else. Things "Lovecraftian" exist in the GB universe so at least some of the occult references they use should come from publishing houses that sound like they're "Lovecraftian". "Miskatonic Publishing, Inc." is a possibility. It doesn't appear that anyone is using it....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #327 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Spirit's GB uniform is finished. I still have to do something about the missing jean button but I haven't decided exactly what to do about it so Spirit's uniform is back in her closet. I'm going to consult with Skywise about his uniform. The sleeves are too short and it is generally uncomfortable so before I start working on it, I want to know if he would want me to just buy fabric and start from scratch...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #328 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Dinner is in the oven.
It does NOT involve turkey. Or chicken. Or any side dish associated with turkey or chicken.

It's pizza. Pepperoni to be exact although Moonie's has sliced black olives on it too.

Post #39,300
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:44am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #329 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I just cancelled my paper order. It was taking too long to ship and Amazon sent me an email about it. I'll wait until next week -- just to be sure that it IS cancelled -- before I order from someone else -- probably Amazon -- 'cause I really don't need two reams of 18 x 24 manila drawing paper....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #330 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I just ordered a Real Ghostbusters coloring book from a vendor in England. On Amazon, GB coloring books are either not available or "available" for $50 plus shipping.  Smiley From England it is less than £20 which includes postage. I don't know what the current exchange rate is and frankly, right now, I don't care. Once I get that book, I'm going to make it into a PDF and make it available to anyone that wants it, free of charge and no special knowledge or software needed to use it!
I've also ordered another GB poster.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #331 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 4:50am
Print Post  
My "cancelled" paper order still isn't showing as "cancelled" on Amazon but it hasn't shipped either so I ordered the same paper from Amazon tonight. I "should" be delivered next week. We'll see....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #332 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Nov 29th, 2017 at 4:50am:
My "cancelled" paper order still isn't showing as "cancelled" on Amazon but it hasn't shipped either so I ordered the same paper from Amazon tonight. I "should" be delivered next week. We'll see....

My "cancelled" paper order was just delivered. Fortunately, my second order hadn't shipped yet and I was able to cancel without a problem. I checked and the original order is still showing as "not shipped". I don't know how the vendor is going to get paid but that is between them and Amazon. I assume Amazon has a way to sort these things out. If asked I'll tell them that "yes, I got the paper". This vendor REALLY needs to get their act together.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:56pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #333 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 2:54am
Print Post  
I folded a few sheets to see how they'll do and I'm pretty sure my idea will work. I've ordered a new awl, needles and more thread. I'm going to need a bigger finishing press though and I'll have to make that. Fortunately, that isn't difficult and I won't need it until I get all the text blocks (also known as "folios") folded, sewn and cut. I'm going to need at least 25 of them, maybe as many as 30. Each block will be made of 6 sheets of paper, folded in half. Yes, the Spates Catalog of Nameless Horrors is gonna be a thick book! I haven't decided if a tentacle should be coming out of it or if I should just rig some sort of "lock" on it..... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #334 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I've located my bookbinding books and I'll be planning the final design for the Spates Catalog of Nameless Horrors while I fold sheets of drawing paper. At least one book recommends folding each unit -- which will be six sheets of paper -- as a unit but the author is working with 20# paper whereas, I'm working with 50# paper so I'm going to fold them one at a time.
A "lock" looks doable.
I've also found instructions for making a slipcase for the Necronomicon so.... double Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2017 at 7:15pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #335 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:48am
Print Post  
I spent about three hours this afternoon folding 160 sheets of drawing paper. Tomorrow I'll cut them down to size. After that, I'll need to spend some time deciding on the best way to make a book out of them. The stack, when compressed is nearly 3 inches thick and I'm not sure that the method I was going to use is best for something that big. Otherwise, things are going well...
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 2:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #336 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 4:27am
Print Post  
I'm concerned that the "board" I have to make book covers may not be strong enough for the Spates Catalog -- which means I'll have to use wood instead of board. This would make putting the latches on easier but it involves a whole new learning curve...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #337 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Ghost Corps is no longer sending out certificates to GB franchises. Guess I'll have to make another prop...

Post # 39,339
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:19am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #338 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
The textblocks are all made and stowed where -- hopefully -- no one of the kitty persuasion will be able to claw them. There are 40 of them -- Smiley -- consisting of 4 sheets each which makes a total of 320 pages. Loosely stacked the pile is 3 inches thick. Compressed it's about 2½ inches thick so it will be near 3 inches thick once the cover is on. There are several steps to go before I get to that point though and I'll need to build some equipment for those steps. The most complicated will be the sewing frame and I'm already thinking about design.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #339 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Well, I have a HUGE picture of "Peter Venkman" as GBI's CEO so all I'll need to do is print it as a photo and frame it and that piece of "set dressing" will be done.
The Ghost Corps franchise certificate looks kinda lame compared to what I've already done so I'll start from scratch. Maybe when they gear up for the next project they'll hire enough people to start sending them out again.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #340 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:06am
Print Post  
I designed the franchise certificate tonight but the software won't let me upload it. Says it's too big. When I feel up to it I may have to do something about that.....
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:13am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #341 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I found plans for both a punching cradle and a sewing frame that don't require a drill press or any other specialized wood working tools. Just a drill, handsaw, glue and clamps. I'll need to get wood -- nothing in my stash is big enough -- and some very long threaded rod with nuts and washers for the sewing frame and I'll be all set.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:11pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #342 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I just ordered some board that should be heavy enough for the covers. The book is going to be huge and heavy so it needs a sturdy cover. Skywise -- who took bookbinding in high school, lucky dog! -- thinks that putting latches and locks on it isn't practical. If I was covering it in leather... maybe. I told him that I was pushing my current skill level as it is but an 12 x 18 inch leather bound Spates Catalog might be possible down the road. I'm designing my punching cradle and sewing frame to be big enough to handle a project that size....

I have an idea for a "title" page that I hope will work. I'll make up another text block to experiment on. If it works, I'll add it. If not, I'll leave it out. I'd like to put fake "cord bindings" on the spine but I don't know if I can make it work. Fortunately, I have time to think about it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #343 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 6:00am
Print Post  
I'd like to put bands on the Spates Catalog but that "may" be biting off more than I can currently chew. The spine has me concerned. I have some large books around here -- dictionaries and encyclopedias -- that are double fan bound and I need to examine them preferably without taking them apart! I may have to research yet another bookbinding technique.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #344 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
A piece here.
A piece there.
Another piece over there....
Bits and pieces of "how to make a book" scattered through several books and the internet.
Once again, I'm going to have to pull the information together, sort it out and create a coherent word document that details step by step what I want to do and how to do it because no one who does bookbinding professionally or as a serious hobby seems to have done it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #345 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
While prowling Amazon last night, I discovered that I have a book on bookbinding that I'd forgotten I have and I think that it may have some information that I half remember. I tried to find it today -- it's in the basement somewhere -- but I couldn't find it. Since Amazon had another copy in like "new condition" at practically a "give away" price, I ordered it. I need the book, can't find it and don't know what condition it's in if I DID find it. I just want to get all my supplies together, get the instructions pulled together and in order, and get this project done since I know it's going to take a while. The board for the covers is "out for delivery" and the binding tape is supposed to get here tomorrow. Saturday, I hope to get the wood I need for the sewing frame and the punching cradle.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #346 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I got the wood for the sewing frame and punching cradle today. I'm currently deciding if I'm going to leave them 24 inches long -- in anticipation of someday making a 12 x 18 inch Spates Catalog -- or cut them down. At the moment, I'm leaning toward leaving them large. I can always use them to work on something smaller but something bigger than my current project could require something larger and I'd have to make it. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #347 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I also bought a container for a"Blood Rain" sample. Now all I need is a label and a sample....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #348 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:21am
Print Post  
I am thinking about how to do the cover -- specifically the spine -- of the Spates Catalog and I'm giving myself a headache. The guy who drew the only illustration I have of the book open knows drawing but not bookbinding......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #349 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:16am
Print Post  
FINALLY managed to get the sewing instructions transcribed so I can make sense of them. I've no doubt that the book was edited back in the day (1901) and probably made perfect sense then but I've cleaned it up so the instructions are tighter and I can actually understand them!
Now all I have to figure out is the best way to put a cover on a huge book with a double fan adhesive binding. Should it have a solid spine or not? We have two REALLY HUGE books in the house. One is a Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary and the other is Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia (Sixth Edition). The Van Nostrand's has the textblock (that's the innards of the book) fastened -- with glue I'm assuming -- directly to the cover where the spine should be but without one. The dictionary's innards are not fastened to the cover and again no solid spine. The Spates textblock should be near the size of the dictionary when it's all sewn up, glued and flattened. The Van Nostrand's is about half again as big. So far I haven't found ANY information about how to put a cover on a really big book.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25
Send TopicPrint