Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 12759 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #350 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:17am
Print Post  
I'm thinking of how I might reinforce the bookcloth so it will hold up on such a large book. *sigh* Leather would probably be better but I'm stretching my skills to the breaking point now. Someday, maybe.

Right now, I'm thinking of adding a layer of heavy/craft weight pellon to the bookcloth -- at least along the spine space --  and maybe a strip of horsehair braid along the top and bottom to strengthen it. So much thinking..... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #351 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Well, the decision has been made.
The Spates Catalog will have a spine glued to the cover material but not to the textblock. While moving stuff I found our very large medical dictionary and found that a.) it does not have a solid spine and b.) in spite of relatively light handling, there is a small rip at the top of the spine which wouldn't be there if it had a solid spine. Sooooo..... I'll be adding some instructions to the bookbinding word document tonight. It should still lay reasonably flat and I suppose that if it doesn't, I'll live with it until I can start over... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #352 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I wonder if fabric paint will "stick" to bookcloth. I will have to experiment....

I've been looking stuff up -- didn't use too many megabytes fortunately -- and adding it to the word document. My brain is nearly fried and it's only 7:30 pm here. I may be figuratively "brain dead" by the time Skywise gets home. I hope tonight's shift isn't as bad he thinks it will be....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #353 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
It was.

The book I was expecting arrived and it didn't have the information I wanted. I found a picture that I can use during an internet search and I "think" I can figure out where that step in the process goes. I say think because the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. I hope Skywise got enough sleep to get him through until tonight.....

Damn, I'll be glad when he retires!
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #354 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I think I've FINALLY found all the instructions I need. Some of the illustrations leave something to be desired and "my" prose could probably be clearer but all the instructions I need are in order and in one document rather that being scattered across the internet and a couple of books! I still need to find out if fabric or acrylic paint will "stick" on bookcloth -- Sharpies won't -- and I'm pretty sure that one detail I'd really love to do won't be possible 'cause it only seems to be possible when the cover is leather since leather "molds" so nicely before the finish is applied. I've put those ideas aside for some future project. Provided, of course, that I survive this one! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #355 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I have been "translating" excessively wordy British English bookbinding instructions into "tighter" American English. The guy that wrote them seems to "know" bookbinding but he does NOT know how to write clearly and succinctly. *sigh* A problem shared by far too many bloggers...

My head hurts....
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:02am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #356 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
The instructions say I "need" another tool which I'd have to make 'cause no one seems to be selling them. I'm tired of having to make tools. I think that a small Phillips screwdriver would substitute nicely. That or a small icepick......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #357 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 5:28am
Print Post  
I've been getting bits and pieces of a GB fanfilm script out of my head. I've figured out the current "Big Bad" and the climatic threat -- which is ambitious -- and some of what leads up to it but it still needs more thought.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #358 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Given its size, the Spates Catalog really should have what is called a Split Cover Binding. Which is a double thick book cover that has the mull (that's the part that holds the "book" a.k.a. the textblock in the cover) sandwiched between two boards. The only problem is that the bookcloth cover is put on after the textblock is glued in place.
Now that would be unwieldy under the best of circumstances. The Spates Catalog textblock is going to measure 15½ inches by 12 inches by 2½ to 3 inches by the time the folios (that's "pages") have been sewn together, compressed and glued to the mull. The prospect of gluing a cover on an object that size gives me considerable pause, to put it mildly! Sooooooo... I have to figure out the necessary steps to do it the way I want to which is to glue the "inner" cover board to the textblock and the outer cover to the bookcloth cover and THEN glue the two covers together and finish covering them.
I may need some "custom" equipment.....
MORE custom equipment.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #359 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I have spent odd moments today trying to figure out how to avoid putting the bookcloth on the Spates Catalog before putting the textblock in and I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to do that soooo....... I'll be doing it the hard way. I'm going to need to make another tool and have lots of room to work -- not to mention patience! -- when the time comes....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #360 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I've transcribed the instructions I need for a split cover. I'll edit it later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #361 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 5:53am
Print Post  
The New Year is going to be crammed with new GB comics. The five issue Answer the Call comic which started last month -- and has been delayed due to illness and hurricanes -- will lead off. The 2018 Annual featuring a new version of the Spirit of Halloween will be out early in the year -- I'm not sure when since I can't dig through Facebook to check  Smiley Smiley -- and a multi-reality crossover titled appropriately enough "Crossing Over" in which EVERY SINGLE INCARNATION of Ghostbusters take part when every containment unit in existence -- or at least all of theirs -- break open as a result of a scientific mishap. The fact that the ATC Ghostbusters will be taking part AND are apparently popular enough to do so will drive the ATC-hating manbabies right up the wall.
CAN'T WAIT!
I'll be broke but happy.....
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2017 at 5:55am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #362 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I picked up a "prop" blank book today. It has a red cover which is what I visualized for a scene in the second GB fanfilm I'm writing. Don't know what's going to be in it except that it is a journal belonging to an early 1900's paranormal investigator.....

I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to start on the Spates Catalog and once I get space cleared out in the basement, I'll get my pack building shop set up and FINALLY get started on the proton packs.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #363 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:56am
Print Post  
I'm sitting here thinking about an impressive box to keep the Spates Catalog in since it's been known to have "unusual" properties. Something to build much later. I'm also thinking about life sized models of "non-canon" ghosts to use as part of appearance displays. Putting them in plexiglass "containment units" with some suitable techno-jargon that would explain why they weren't trying to get out would probably work....

I'm pretty sure that a drone and some sort of kite arrangement would be possible for parade appearances....
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #364 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
There are apparently two official novelizations for the 1984 Ghostbusters movie. I just tricked Amazon's software into letting me order the one I don't have.

Post # 66,555 for the site.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2017 at 8:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #365 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:56am:
I'm pretty sure that a drone and some sort of kite arrangement would be possible for parade appearances....

Great minds thinking alike and all that. Someone -- several someones in fact -- have already done it. There are several overpriced "drone ghosts" available on Amazon but more inventive, imaginative and scary ones are online in the "Do it Yourself" category. "Make" has a particularly nice selection -- although the one made with a taxidermied cat  did not amuse me in the least! Smiley So when the time comes, we won't have to reinvent the wheel.....
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #366 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Ghosts moving via drones has given me all sorts of ideas for "practical effects" ghosts which would be less expensive and time consuming than CGI ghosts although not transparent.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #367 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:38am
Print Post  
I picked up more PVA glue and thread for the Spates Catalog today. Since I can't make it exactly like the one in the comics I'm going to make it a little more elaborate. Red satin ribbon bookmarks in the binding for one thing. For another, the end papers are going to be made of black construction paper with as an elaborate knotwork design on them -- front and back -- as I can create, the idea being that the knotwork will help keep "things" from crawling out of the book as they are apparently prone to try.
I was able to start work on the sewing frame today. The punch cradle looks simpler but it's more finicky to assemble so I'm doing the sewing frame first. Then I'm going to see what I can do on the proton packs with minimal workspace available.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #368 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I was able to get the last parts I need to make the sewing frame and a book press big enough for the Spates. Things should start moving forward provided I don't freeze on the way to the Guest House! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #369 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
The sewing frame is done -- I let the glue dry during the coldest days. One side slipped so the gap is ¼ inch on one end and nearly â…œ inch on the other.  Smiley I "think" that the adjustment I made will compensate for that. If it doesn't I'll glue another piece of plywood on the top and make sure that the gap is even!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #370 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I finished the sewing frame and I'm working on the punching cradle whenever I have time.

Tonight I purchased and downloaded 3-D printer files for the 2016 PKE meter, Ghost Chipper, "Erin's" Grenade, Holtzmann's pistols and the Ghost Trap. NOW all I need is to find someone to print them. *sigh*

Also need to find a file for the Cryogen Unit. The guy I got these files from had one but I can't find it. Guess I'll have to track him down and ask.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #371 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 3:07am
Print Post  
"Life" finally got out of the way. I folded and cut all the pages for the Spates -- page count is around 800 and it's about 3½ inches thick -- and sewed them together. I get a little cooperation from "life" tomorrow, I'll finish making the standing press and the finishing press. Then the next day, I can start gluing. Once the text block is finished, I'll start on the cover.
The end is still a ways off but it's in sight.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #372 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
It. IS. Done.
At least the two presses I had to build are done. It took three hours and I'm bushed but I'm done measuring, clamping, sawing, drilling and wrestling with wood.
Tomorrow if life cooperates, I'll start the next step in the process -- gluing.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #373 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Well, when I went to load the "gonna be" text block into the press for gluing I discovered that the screws intended to hold it closed are nearly 2 inches too short. So I put it into the other press -- which is intended to smash the text block really, really flat after it is glued -- and since I'm NOT going to make another trip to Rural King right at this moment and I do NOT want to wait, I will use the one press for both gluing and smashing. I'm going to have to be careful. The text block needs to stay square -- and it's still a bit wiggly -- until the glue is dry enough to keep it square. Then I'll ease it into "smashing position" and tighten the screws for a day or two.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #374 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
I glued the text block this afternoon. I'll let it dry overnight -- maybe longer -- and then finish the spine which will involve gluing a special woven "cloth" on the spine with heavy paper glued on top of that. Once that is thoroughly dried, I'll start on making the cover....  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25
Send TopicPrint