Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin'? XLV: Wonder Post! (Read 14009 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin'? XLV: Wonder Post!
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2017 at 8:06pm

Afternoon.
We did the usual Saturday stuff -- bought 12 pots of catnip plants -- and hurried home to RB. The little guy is a bit stronger so I'd say "so far, so good". We're still feeding him kitten milk and water with a syringe. He ate a little solid food yesterday and we're hoping that he'll eat a little more today. He's using the litter box and walking around when he feels like it.
I know I'm not posting much right now. My heart isn't in it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2017 at 4:36am

RB's temperature has dropped into the "normal"range. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2017 at 5:22am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2017 at 4:09pm

Afternoon.
RB has started drinking water and he ate a little solid food last night. He still got a kitten milk feeding this morning. His temperature went up a little then dropped back down in to the "normal" range.

I've lost 4 pounds in the last week. Fortunately, I won't miss them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2017 at 1:25am

The Adored Hubby and I are “not happy” to put it mildly. Moonie isn’t thrilled either. She finally got around to reading the report the vet gave us about RB. Hubby and I had shifted into “what do we need to do NOW!” mode ignoring everything else other than getting RB home, fed and settled in. So we weren’t very happy when Moonie showed us the report with the important parts highlighted. Leaving out the details of the various comments, she highlighted the following:

Quote:
Test: FCoV PCR
Result: Positive

BIOTYPE: Below Limit of Detection

BELOW LIMIT OF DETECTION BIOTYPE indicates the FCoV cannot be typed because there were insufficient viral particles to permit biotyping. FIP cannot be ruled out. This is common with whole blood specimens but can occur with any sample type. Consider submitting an alternate sample type (e.g. peritoneal, pleural or CSF fluid or tissue biopsy or aspirate).

This virus comes in two forms, one harmless and the other a mutated form that causes FIP. Once the symptoms appear, it is a downward spiral to death. In one form of the disease, called “dry”, a cat can live up to a year. In the “wet” form life expectancy is two months or less. RB got sick on the 28th of April and he’s still alive and still capable of putting up a fight if he doesn’t care for what we’re doing to him -- especially giving him medicine. It is to be noted that when the sample for testing was taken, he was at his sickest. FCoV is a common viral infection in cats so we concede that he may have it. The fact that the TYPE canNOT be confirmed and that the vet assumed that he had the fatal form is what has us “not happy”. His only symptoms at this time are: stuffy head/nose, fever (which has been dropping into the “normal” range since we got him home) and a disinclination to eat -- he’s starting to drink from a bowl again. His lungs are clear, he’s alert and feels strong enough to walk around. He’s using the litter box and “everything” there is normal. While FIP cannot be ruled out, we are skeptical of the diagnosis. We “think” that he’s having a severe allergic reaction to something he encountered the night before he got sick made worse by the lung infection he had. So we’re going to treat his symptoms, Benedryl -- which he despises, spectacularly! -- for his stuffy head/nose (Yes, regular “nothing extra added” Benedryl is safe for pets given in small doses based on their size.) and we’re stepping up the kitten milk feedings until we get our hands on feeding syringes after which he’ll be getting semi-solid food until he’s inclined to eat again. Clearing up the congestion in his head “should” help with that.
Anyone wanting to do “work” on him, either concentrate on getting rid of those virus particles or alleviating his symptoms. Or both which is what I’ll be doing.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2017 at 5:18am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2017 at 5:17am

RB has struck back. Skywise and Moonie were feeding him on the basement stairs -- long story -- and once they were done giving him his dinner and were giving him some water, he bolted and spilled the water bowl on the stairs.
The Feisty is strong with this one!

And on that note, I'm heading out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:35pm

Morning.
RB is still with us and having his breakfast. He seems tired.
I hope I'm wrong.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2017 at 4:02pm

Moonie took him outside a couple of hours ago. It's sunny, reasonably dry and not too hot. He's currently sitting in a patch of purple iris out in the yard and Skywise says he's breathing better. Hopefully the massive "poop accident" (Details not forthcoming. TMI) has made him more comfortable.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2017 at 9:58pm

Skywise and Moonie stuffed more kitten milk and water into RB before Skywise left for work. As soon as the feeding syringes I ordered arrive, he'll be getting semi-solid food. We're not giving up without a fight. The Feisty is still strong in RB. As long as he doesn't give up, neither will we.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - May 23rd, 2017 at 5:15am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - May 23rd, 2017 at 3:16pm

Morning.
I got to sleep in today and so missed RB's morning feeding. Apparently he had attitude to spare but emergency laundry did not need to be done. He seems a little stronger today and Moonie thinks he may have gained a little weight.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - May 23rd, 2017 at 5:36pm

RB is still not eating but he's definitely getting stronger. He made his displeasure at being fed known in no uncertain terms. If he'd just understand that eating and drinking would put an end to the kitten milk and water routine, that would make us all happy! *sigh* I wish I spoke "cat" or at least could communicate with him telepathically so I COULD TELL HIM!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - May 24th, 2017 at 5:45am

Skywise is home and RB is getting his dinner. He's feisty as hell. This is good.

Heading out now. Everybody sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - May 24th, 2017 at 4:22pm

Afternoon.
It's raining. Again.
We went into town to pay the electric bills, get a few things and have lunch. I missed RB's morning feeding but it went well. Moonie confirms that he was a "feisty boy". He seems to be gaining a little weight but we haven't weighed him since Sunday. The feeding syringes should arrive tomorrow so tomorrow night, he'll be getting "sorta-solid" food.

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - May 24th, 2017 at 11:18pm

I don't want to think about it, but I have this feeling that RB doesn't have much time left. We did what we could to make him at least comfortable in the past few days. The day before yesterday, I stayed home to be with Mom and RB while Dad and Spirit went to town. Since Mom told me the night before that RB may not be with us any longer, I decided to take him outside. It was a sunny morning and I thought it would do him good to be outdoors. I wanted him to feel the warm sun and the cool breeze while listening to birdsong and laying in the grass. I could tell that RB loved it as he spent a long time laying next to me in the sun. I wished I could take him out into the woods, but I was afraid that I'd lose him. It was, all and all, the best day RB had ever since he got sick.

Today, I had brought some nasal drops as his purr sounded congested last night. After a struggle, I had managed to few put a drop in his nose. When he purred later on, it sounded a little better.

Truth be told, I'm scared of losing RB. The time we had, while it was good, was too short. I don't want to let him go yet. But it seemed to me like he was getting worse even though he showed some feistiness. I guess he wanted to fight on to the end. If he does go, I understand. But I would feel so sad.  Cry

His brother, Romeo, would be a lonely cat. No cat was as close to him as RB. And Dad would be devastated as he had worked so hard to keep him alive. I do hope they both be alright.

As for me, I would go on, but my life wouldn't be the same without RB. Just like I wasn't the same after Mischief died. If RB decides to go, then I won't stop him. Just like when he wanted to go out at night. I would let him out knowing that he'd come back safely. He and his brother taught me how to trust in our cats to come back safely again. And I will trust RB to come back to me again, one way or another. I will leave with this message I always to Romeo and his brother as they go out:

"Be careful out there. I love you."

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - May 25th, 2017 at 5:25am

Cry Skywise is home. He says the RB is breathing better than he has been. I hope that Moonie and I are wrong. I'm exhausted and heading out. I don't know if I'll sleep but I can't stay online all night.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2017 at 5:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

MoonCat
Global Moderator

Evil Woman in Training
Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:15am

I can't believe we just got trolled by RB…  Smiley

Cleaning house with the Dustbuster2!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - May 25th, 2017 at 4:28pm

Yeah, he did, the little hairball!

Afternoon. He's getting his liquid lunch and he's giving Skywise and Moonie ALL KINDS OF ATTITUDE about it. This morning they had to haul him out from under the bed to feed him. He may still have a bit of a fever and not inclined to eat or drink but he has 'feisty' and strength to spare!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - May 25th, 2017 at 4:34pm

The feeding syringes arrived right after Skywise and Moonie were done feeding RB so he'll be getting "sorta solid" food this evening.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - May 26th, 2017 at 1:46am

RB is a bit more energetic than he was last night but he still won't eat. Moonie has a theory about that and we'll be looking for what we need to test it tomorrow. In the meantime, we'll keep feeding him with food-filled syringes.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:17am

RB is walking around. Skywise is on his way home and I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:02pm

Afternoon.
We went into town this morning -- needed more kitten milk -- and ate. I've lost another 3 pounds since Sunday. (Worry will do that to you.) RB's temperature is down a bit this morning and he put up a fierce struggle when Skywise and Moonie were feeding him. He's getting stronger, now if he would just put on some weight.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - May 26th, 2017 at 11:50pm

And RB's fierce struggle caused him to throw up and his temp went up. It's still lower than it was last week and he did throw up his fever medicine. We'll try again tomorrow. On the plus side, he's gained half a pound since Sunday and since Skywise will be home the next three days, we're going to try to get four small meals into him instead of three. I wish his temp would go down and stay down and that he'd eat but he's very strong, feisty and gaining some weight. I'll have to be content with that.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - May 27th, 2017 at 10:51pm

Evening.
We went to The Track today after only four hours of sleep so when we got home I was achy, exhausted and a little overheated so I stripped to my underwear and crashed next to RB. That was about four hours ago. I just woke up about 15 minutes ago -- just in time to make dinner -- which is thawing. I'm going to get caught up and then get it started.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - May 28th, 2017 at 12:45am

Dinner is made and my legs hurt like hell so I'm heading out.

Post # 38,345
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2017 at 2:11pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40
Send TopicPrint