Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic The Hedge Witches Cottage (Read 595 times)
Crystal Raven

Over the Hedge and Back
Again!

The Hedge Witches Cottage
Jul 12th, 2006 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
through the forest, across the stream and up the path...

brambles and berries pull at your clothes, the ruckus of bird song dims the closer you get to them.
A wee herb patch peeks from around the corner, clematis and vervaine crowd the old porch along with a chair or two. Strange symbols are painted on plaques above and beside the door, a broom leans against the wall and windchimes tinkle in the breeze.
A chunky grey cat circles round you wearily to see if you are friend or foe, when the door suddenly opens...

A youngish looking woman opens the door before you even ring the bell, dressed all in black, a shawl round her shoulders, her neck is drapped in silver jewelry with stones and pendants, many bracelettes jingle on her arm, yet she has only 3 rings on her fingers. Her hair is down to her waist, feet bare, but her eyes reflect wisdom well beyond her years.

As you enter you notice a sprig of hawthorn above a closet door, a corndoll above the door you just entered, a walking stick is propped in the corner, some peculiar looking jars and pouches sit on a shelf, seemingly ready to be picked up and an old rag rug sits center stage of the floor.

Down the hall to and a touch to the left is a week nook with floor to ceiling windows on two sides and lacey curtains billow with the breeze. A table in the middle of the nook is draped with old lace and has a vase of fresh cut roses in its center, as well as candle in its holder and a silver tray full of odd looking stones. The peg shelf above it holds a few books, a charming crystal clock that chimes the hour, a freshly done water colour picture, some incense and a greenish marble ball set in its ornate holder. Yet on the pegs themselves are oddish looking dried flowers and mysterious looking pouches with who knows what inside them!!!

Good day!!! says the lady and begins to speak...

Please remember this is IMHO only...there are probably thousands of definitions of a Hedge Witch, all of them correct, including mine and I tend to follow olderish ways.

The broad definition would be as thus:
A solitary who uses Shamanic techniques for Journeying etc...(the hedge being a symbolic barrier between this world and other worlds) and consentrates on the more earthy elemental aspects of magic, spellweaving, etc...(working with herbs, rocks, trees).

I personally, am trying to become a modern day Village Wise Woman, in the old days they would have been the local healers, midwives and often seers. With this vein of thinking, I focus on the Celtic traditions, folklore and Goddesses, but am not a Recon, so I dont necessarily keep to historical accuracy. I also believe in the Fae and do my best to honour and respect them. Ancestors also have a part in my practice and I follow the Cycles of the Seasons, as opposed to the Cycle of the God and Goddess.

As a good Hedge Witch I am trying to build my knowledge of locally growing herbs and their medicinal and culinary uses. I do try to grow my own, though not always successfully, so I also know where to buy them if necessary.
I am also learning and studying quite a few bits of old lore, magical and otherwise and believe Story Telling is an important art that is becoming extinct and am trying to prevent that. I also practice meditation, visualization, astral projection and journeying. You can often find me in the woods or fields, or in the kitchen.

For spellweaving I use materials on hand as well as ceremonial tools (my athame is gorgeous, I love it and am not getting rid of it!!!). Some of my more useful tools are: a sharp knife for cutting, my mortar and pestal for grinding herbs and my sewing machine for making pouches. My staff is my right hand, I use it for long and short hikes, herding children, circle casting if I feel the need for it or it can serve as an outdoor altar in a pinch.

Divination is also important to me, for both personal guidance and as a community service (though donations are welcome ) and I am becoming proficient in a few: Crystal Ball Gazing, Tarot and Ogham are for me!

Hedgies tend to do what makes sense in terms of magic, ceremonies and ethics and are often fiercely independent. There is no one code, so asking ten of us what we do or believe will often get you twenty different answers.

But I do hope that you will join us no matter what you path is or where it may lead!!!
May Gentle Breezes carry you all of your days!
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2006 at 4:21pm by Crystal Raven »  

&&Steal my avatar or sig and I will report hex you!!!&&&&*There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.*
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint