Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) the Beauty Myth (Read 1034 times)
DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

the Beauty Myth
Oct 28th, 2006 at 3:36am
Print Post  
This is... well, just watch it.  I'm not sure whether to be amazed or very very nervous.  Causing quite a debate on the forum I got it from.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdSAYS05iQA

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: the Beauty Myth
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
It was bad enough before images could be manipulated with computers. Twenty some years ago, I learned all sorts of makeup tricks to make what I have look as good as possible. Nowadays, there is no way that you can look like the pictures. Heck, even the models don't look like the pictures once the computer is done with them! But of course, the cosmetic companies don't care about what they do to the self esteem of women and girls so long as they turn a nice profit at the end of the quarter. [Bitter much? You bet!]

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah no kidding.  The hair & makeup is understandable, but WHAT is the point of the photo-shopping??  No wonder we all have self-esteem issues, if this is what we subconsciously base our self-images on!  Shocked

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The cosmetic companies are pushing an ideal that is unobtainable even if you DO use their products. Airbrushing, back in the day, was bad enough. Perfectly even skintone, no dark circles under the eyes, absolutely perfectly shaped lips... the list went on and on but you could at least get close with the careful application of makeup. Now...  *shakes head in disgust...* there is NO way...

IP Logged

Warden Dike

Sanctuary Sorta-Newbie

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
You will excuse me whilst I retch.  Having had to combat rosacea for years to get back what I already had.  It is still NOT enough for some.  One reason I do not wear make-up is I CANNOT afford it.  Whose has time anymore?  Not a working stiff like me and many others I know.  Do not have the type of job I really have to impress anyone, so why bother.  If looks are what it takes, I do not qualify.  Been told more than once since cutting my hair shorter, I look like a boy.  SIGH!! Remember that beauty is ONLY skin deep.  Angry

Vengence Flies on Swift Wings
&&
League of Extraordinary Weirdos
&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
The only reason I wore makeup when I was working was because I worked in an office and my boss required it. Now, I only put on warpaint when I want to -- which is seldom. An exception is made if I'm in costume....hehehehehehe Then all bets are off!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Yeah, I just love it when sweat softened foundation runs into my eyes...

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I rarely, if ever, wear makeup anymore.  My skin is hyper-sensitive - I have to dust off the sheets before I get into bed, and I can feel the lightest coat of makeup on my skin.  If it's a family thing where I think my mom's going to be taking pics - which is at every flamin' one - I'll do foundation, blush, mascara & lipstick, but that's it.  One of the ladies I work with wears three inches of makeup every day, and I'm sure she's a lovely woman without it.  I can't imagine what that does to her skin.  Nike, I agree with you - I don't understand why makeup has to be so freakin' expensive.  Almost ten bucks for a freakin' lipstick??  

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 3:49am
Print Post  
I don't know where you and Nike are shopping or what brands you are buying but when I get a lipstick, it is between 3 and 5 dollars tops. Of course, I do my makeup shopping at Walmart and Target. But that is still too much considering all that it is is dye in a grease base.....

IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Oh, yeah, Cover Girl & Wet 'n' Wild are still good & cheap.  I meant L'Oreal, Max Factor, those kinds.  The brands that are insanely expensive.

YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I use Cover Girl or Maybelline. hehehehe  That other stuff is for women with more money than brains......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint