Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Universal Sues Firefly Fansite (Read 536 times)
DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Universal Sues Firefly Fansite
Oct 28th, 2006 at 4:01am
Print Post  
It's official... the brass at Universal have LOST THEIR MINDS.  They're not only trying to get this guy to shut down his entire store, in which he also sells non-Firefly things, but they're threatening to sue him for $150k if he doesn't.  All for giving them free publicity.

http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/messages?msg=32591.1

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

Warden Dike

Sanctuary Sorta-Newbie

Re: Universal Sues Firefly Fansite
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
To quote Elphaba from the hit Broadway musical WICKED, "No good deed goes unpunished!"  Legality all aside, what happened to being thankful that someone likes what you have to offer, and is willing to express it in the best way they can, that gives you good press?

Vengence Flies on Swift Wings
&&
League of Extraordinary Weirdos
&&
YIM  
IP Logged

DragonMom
God Member

Lead Electric Triangle
for Toad the Wet Sprocket

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
The ironic thing is that in doing this, Universal is not only giving the site all the free publicity they could ever need, they're giving themselves the worst kind of negative publicity.  I think a boycott of Universal has been started over this.

"You're not a loser... you're just not quite a winner." - Elvira&&&&For Women in Horror, By Women in Horror http://www.pretty-scary.net&&&&Hate only hurts the hater.  So stop the madness or I'll have to hurt you. Cheesy&&&&
YIM  
IP Logged

SeaSiren

Ethereal Witch & Mystical
Muse

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Well, you could boycott Universal but if you realized how many irons they have in how many fires, you'd trip up trying to avoid.

I'm in the music industry and I have to say, copyright is a very touchy issue, so are performing rights.  I agree their bully tactics are a bit rough, but knowing what I do about the subject - we may not know the whole story.   I know what measures my company takes before coming to that result, so something tells me there's MUCH more to this.

I know it may seem greedy on some levels when you don't understand the big picture, but I do know how much counterfeiting costs the industry, and everyone has the right to protect their interests, whether it be the movie studios, record lables and RIAA, or the songwriter just trying to put food on their family's table...

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint