Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Are positive and negative magics the same? (Read 3261 times)
Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Are positive and negative magics the same?
Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I mean, look at it this way.

Let's examine a controversial type of magic--the "love" spell.

One can do this by attracting the type of person you want, supposedly by using positive magic, right? But this is actually a compulsion type spell, which can keep said person from finding their "real" ideal mate. That is a negative effect.

One can do it by eliminating prospects that don't fit the desired qualities. This is by using supposedly negative magic, right? But this way increases the chance of hooking up with the "ideal" for both parties, without compulsion, so the effect is positive.

So which one would truly be negative?

Can anyone think of other examples?

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Re: Are positive and negative magics the same?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Anytime you gain something and someone loses something.
Sports a spell to help you do better
Money its gotta come from somewhere
Love as mentioned
I could go on and on. So yeah what is negative. Especially if its positive for one and negative for another.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
DarkLord_Kodiak wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:46pm:
Anytime you gain something and someone loses something.
Sports a spell to help you do better
Money its gotta come from somewhere
Love as mentioned
I could go on and on. So yeah what is negative. Especially if its positive for one and negative for another.

I don't necessarily agree with all of DK's examples. It doesn't necessarily follow that every time someone gains something someone else looses the same amount. Love, for instance, is infinite. You are not limited in the number of people you can love or in what ways. Love expands to include everyone and no one is shortchanged -- provided that it is genuine love and not some other emotion.
A spell to improve your performance in sports would not necessarily take something from someone else. A spell to cause an opponent to lose would be negative.
Money does have to come from somewhere but it doesn't necessarily have to come out of someone else's pocket to their determent. After all, doing a spell to get a raise that you worked hard for and deserve is not, in my opinion, negative magick. Nor would a spell to win a lottery prize although the best way would probably be a spell to improve your luck generally since lotteries have so much magick/prayer thrown at them that the effects probably cancel each other out.  Grin [Side note: Have you ever noticed that most of the really HUGE lottery jackpots are won by groups...]
Anyway, I don't think that the amount of good things in the universe is finite. There should be more than enough of everything for everyone. The only problem is the way we have visualized the world, so I would have to say that magick is magick and positive/negative, light/dark, etc are just labels that have been slapped on certain actions to satisfy some humans need to label things.

Post #4,500
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:08am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Rudas Starblaze

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2007 at 3:42am
Print Post  
"magic" is "magic".  (i hate the term "magic" or "magick" or however ya wanna spell it along with the terms negative or positive, light or dark, white or black.)

whats evil to some may not be evil to others and whats good to some may not be good to others.

its all the same to me.  doesnt matter if its a healing spell or a death spell.  no matter what you do, its changing something or someone rather its for your benefit or not.

IP Logged

bladeraven

Da Momma

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
I take a more zen look at things...Life is about balances...you have to have both the good and the bad and what balances it in between is the gray.

Look at karma. It's not so much as justice as it is just life's energies balancing things out....If you approach the world as a scale...things just don't work if one side of the scale tips higher than the other and eventually you have to balance things out to get things going forward.

I feel that there is no dark or white magic but just all gray....the gray is the balance between the two.

So you do a love spell...If it's to manipulate someone...eventually it will balance itself out and there are reprecussions for the manipulation...doesn't make it pos or neg...just balancing out the scale.

I feel they are one and the same....

Everyone benefits and everyone suffers for it....I don't think if it's perform it takes away but what it does is just shift things around to make it more balanced out...lol...lost you yet? LOL

I think it's because of this..people really have to decide if a spell is worth performing...if a great injustice has been done...you're just sending out energy to balance the scales of justice...but if say...no one has done you harm...and you send out a manipulation spell....eventually the cup will runneth over and life just sorts itself out to balance out the tipping of the scale.

Being defiant isn't always a bad thing; Refusing to be belittle or struck down isn't a bad thing; Submitting is a bad thing.
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I think that any time you tamper with someone's freedom of choice, you are asking for trouble. The universe doesn't care about your motives. As far as it is concerned, a spell to manipulate someone into falling into bed with you is exactly the same as manipulating someone who has committed a crime into turning themselves in to the police. You can do spells to bring love into your life without targeting a specific person. You can do spells to bring a criminal to justice without specifying what "justice" is. You leave the decisions about who should/would be your perfect love and what constitutes "justice" to the Universe. Balance will be had and karma is nothing if not fair.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

bladeraven

Da Momma

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
*nod* I definetely wouldn't want be on the receiving end when the balances get tipped...I think that it's better to do good versus bad, like you had described regarding manipulation because eventually the scales will tip in favor for the other side to balance things out versus for the person casting the spell.

I think if a person does do a spell...maybe do a spell that will benefit a person versus taking away because the universe does call for payment.

Being defiant isn't always a bad thing; Refusing to be belittle or struck down isn't a bad thing; Submitting is a bad thing.
YIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Yes it does. And the more things get out of balance, the greater the correction that will be needed when things swing back to center. An extremely rough ride any way you slice it. And once karma is in motion, there is no stopping it.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019 at 6:07am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from The Dark Side [move by] Penthesilea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint