Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Welcome to the Writing Life! (Read 41740 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Welcome to the Writing Life!
Reply #875 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 4:42am
Print Post  
I am currently trying to choreograph a fight with staves about which I know considerably less than I do about sword fights which makes it hard to describe it in a clear and accurate manner. I'm trying to find what I need online since I don't want to buy a bunch of books to study for one relatively short scene.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #876 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 3:12am
Print Post  
I'm still thinking about the fight scene but while I'm doing that, I'm working on the Grand Canyon sized gap that is slowly, very slowly, being filled in.
The fact that my fingers do not seem to be connected to my brain doesn't help!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #877 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:00am
Print Post  
I've added some new material tonight. I hope it contributes to the story since it is mainly getting the characters to where they need to be without dropping them there willy-nilly. I may add more "color" later. Right now, my head hurts. I don't know if it's from "thinking" or the change in the weather.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #878 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 3:45am
Print Post  
I've been tying up a loose end which also demonstrates just how monstrous the antagonist really is. The question is: how gruesome/detailed to make the scene? This will require more thought but at least the "set up" is done and I've worked on some other minor gaps while thinking about the "gruesome".

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #879 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Closed a gap in Book 4 this afternoon.
Still thinking about the previously mentioned gruesomeness....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #880 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Still working on the gruesomeness. I've figured out how the remains are disposed of though so there's that.

Not progressing as fast as I'd like but I'd rather write something good than something fast. I've nothing to prove and since I'm not writing to meet another's deadline or to conform to what they "think" I should write, I can take my time and get it the way I want it pretty much in the first draft.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #881 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Taking a break from everything and looking at books suggested by Facebook. It's easy to see why they're on kindle and not in the bookstores. Instead of getting into the story, most of them spend chapter after chapter "setting the stage" and filling in backstory. The "previews" that Amazon provides are over before you get to the real beginning of the story. So you may know what color the heroine's hair is, who her parents are and if she has siblings but not much else.
I've tried to avoid that in my books and I think I've succeeded for the most part. At some point, I'll be "unpublishing" the ones I've already put up since all three have been extensively rewritten. I'll be back writing when things settle down. Arthritis was enough of a problem. I did NOT need diabetes piled in on top of that!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #882 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 6:01am
Print Post  
I haven't done much writing since my life was turned upside down and inside out as a result of my trying to find out why my knees hurt. Getting my health issues in hand moved everything else to the back burner. I've been researching arthritis and Type 2 diabetes like hell and things are slowly getting under control.
I've done a little editing on Book 4 this week. Not much but I've cleaned up a few things and some ideas on the previously mentioned "gruesomeness" have come to the surface that I'm hoping to develop. I'm going to have to get into the appropriate "mindspace" for it and that's going to be a bit difficult since "horror" of the graphic kind has never appealed to me. But... for this particular character in this situation extreme gruesomeness -- or as extreme as I can manage -- is called for. It will leave no doubt as to what kind of monster the Hero and Heroine are dealing with.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #883 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I'm slowly re-reading Book 4 and fixing things that need fixing and adding material as it presents itself. It's slow going but since my health seems to be improving -- at least my glucose numbers are down/approaching "normal" and my knees aren't hurting as much -- I can concentrate on something besides getting my health issues under control. Oh, and my blood pressure is comfortably in the "normal" range so I don't need to be concerned about that on top of everything else.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #884 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Making a little headway.
I've already written the "high points" in the first part of Book 4 and a good part of the second half is completely written. The last part -- which involves Our Heroine and later Our Hero in another reality needs a lot of world building before the Villain is dispatched and almost everyone lives happily ever after. What I'm doing now is filling in vital details between those high points and that is tough sledding. I know where things have to go but I can't get there too quickly or it won't be believable that the other characters didn't catch on before the "Big Reveal".
I console myself with the fact that my favorite romance author -- Loretta Chase, who is among the best in the romance business -- has confessed that her current hero is giving her all kinds of attitude as she tries to tell his story. (Since he was a character in her last book, I'm not surprised that he's being a pain!) So I'll keep working on it. I don't write as fast as some but what I do write is the best that I can do.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #885 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Still working on Book 4 but I'm currently stuck and rather than throw words at the page hoping something will stick, I'm moving it to the backburner to simmer for a while. While it simmers, I'm going to work on filling in Our Heroine's backstory, specifically the high points of her childhood, the beginnings of her military career with the Amazon army, her first love and her "First Death" which is the working title of the story which will be novel length. I've laid out a timeline so I hopefully won't get my continuity messed up. Easy to do when your character's life covers over a thousand years....
I'm currently wondering how far back to start the story. Should I start with her visit to the Castle when she was about four years old or go back further? If I go back, how far should I go?  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #886 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I've written the "Prologue" to my current project. I came up with the idea while at lunch today, wrote it up and it works so "how to start" is taken care of. "When to start" is the current question. I want to start with the first meeting of Our Heroine's parents and I'm tossing around ideas about how it happened. Given who they are and that they are a thousand miles apart -- more or less. I'm NOT going to look it up now! -- they can't very well have the sort of "chance encounter" popular in most romantic fiction. Nothing is currently "sticking" to my mental wall so I guess I'll have to keep brainstorming.  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #887 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 6:20am
Print Post  
I'm currently working on a section of Our Heroine's life when she was thirteen years old. In this particular episode, she was shot, left for dead, was healed by a "mysterious benefactor" and goes on to rescue a number of her fellow Amazons from slavers and makes her first five kills in the process which qualifies her, according to law and custom, to take one or more lovers.
But..... she's too young and will have to wait until she's fifteen. THAT section will be major it involves critical events both in her life and in Amazon history. I've referred to these events in the first three novels and it's time to expand on them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #888 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I've just discovered that I have two "Work in Progress" copies of Book 4.  Smiley Next order of writing business is to combine the two into one document.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 
Send TopicPrint