Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) EXTREME MAKEOVER: Sanctuary Edition (Read 5518 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: EXTREME MAKEOVER: Sanctuary Edition
Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Dinner is over and I've been trying to figure out the file transfer.  I have two methods and I'm trying to decide which one will work the best.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Step 1, consisting of 12 items, is complete. Can I get a "YAY!"?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Okay.
Catastrophe averted. Just barely. Good thing I ask questions.
I've been chasing the "wrong rabbit" this morning but I think I'm on the right track now. Skywise is taking us into town for something to eat, I haven't eaten anything yet and my cognitive functions might work better after food....
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Back.
Ate. Shopped. Now composing another note to HostMonster.
They're gonna be sick of me by the time this is over with. Too bad. They "could" have made things clearer the first time around instead of assuming that I'm a total computer geek. So, they will have to put up with my questions because I WILL keep asking them until I understand what I'm doing and know will happen at each step of the process. When it comes to Sanctuary, I don't like unpleasant surprises.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:32pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I found out about 45 minutes ago that we're going to Louisville, KY tomorrow. That means that all the preliminary work has to be finished tonight. Smiley Oh happy day! I'll sleep on the way back if I can and I'll probably crash for a couple of hours once we're home. Barring inability to connect to the internet, the makeover will go on as scheduled...
I may lose my mind, but it WILL happen.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I "think" I may have this figured out. All except the redirect which may be out of my league since it involves fooling with the code.  Think that this one might have to wait for D to get free....
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:48am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 2:40am
Print Post  
I just finished going through the Admin center, recording all the settings for when I have to reset them. THAT is going to be a long job. Smiley I'm glad that it has turned out that I won't have to wait until 2 am to transfer the files. That would make for a very long night and since I'm going to be on the road tomorrow, even a short night is going to be long!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Last night, I attempted to back up this site.
Twice.
Both times I got a nice little email telling me that the backup was done but no sign of the zip file that was supposed to contain the backup. Before I crashed last night, HostMonster got a very testy communique from me on the subject.
This morning, while poking around the subdomain with Fetch -- I was looking for some hint of its URL -- I found two zip files that weren't there yesterday. Yeah, that's right. They sent the damned things to the sub domain instead of to me in an email. I'll get them out with Fetch later. I have two replies from them sitting in my email inbox and I'm gonna let them sit, maybe until late afternoon. And I did find a url for the sub domain -- no thanks to HostMonster. It was stuck in with Sanctuary's attachments of all places. That might make sense to a programmer but to us "not real geeky" types, it is very "counter intuitive"!  So hopefully, once I start working on the sub domain, I'll be able to check on what I'm doing AND have a url to send out so everyone can find it while getting the "redirect" problem figured out. At the moment, the damned thing has an ad in it which I suppose makes sense to HostMonster but I'm not particularly liking it.
But at least I seem to be down to only one problem.
Hope it stays that way.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:44am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 12:29am
Print Post  
The clock is ticking. I'll be starting work in about an hour, an hour and a half at most unless something comes up. I'll send out a general email to the membership, put the site into Maintenance Mode and make a backup. Once that's done, I'll start working on the sub domain that will eventually be Sanctuary 2.5. This is probably the next to last post I'll make on 2.2. I kinda feel like someone whose house is about to be extensively remodeled. It has to be done but until you get used to the new place, you will miss the old one. I keep telling myself: Same house, just remodeled.
Clock is ticking.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
As you might expect, I am NOT happy about how the Makeover is NOT going. I'm going to be spending the rest of the afternoon -- around dishes and laundry and such -- going over what I've done so far and composing yet  ANOTHER email to HostMonster to see if there is something else that I was supposed to do that they assumed I knew to do and consequently didn't mention to me!  Smiley Smiley
Yeah. How many times do I have to tell them that I do NOT know what I'm doing and need to be told what I have to do?
Repeatedly, apparently and they STILL don't get it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 12:43am
Print Post  
I'm currently working on the final draft of the next note to HostMonster which I'm planning on firing off around 11 local time.  I'm really hoping that this is the last one! I'm getting really tired of beating my head against this particular wall!  Smiley I'm expecting for there to be a lot of work still to be done once the first stage of the Makeover is finished since we're going to need new templates and banners and such but I think that's gonna be a bit more fun than what I'm doing at present! I've got 6 pre made templates besides the default one that I want to load and nine different color combinations that I want to try out! Once I see what fonts come "standard" I may want to add a few more for variety and I'm probably going to want to increase the font size on all the templates since I know I'm not the only member with bad eyesight and a somewhat larger font is easier on your eyes even if you DON'T have poor eyesight! THAT little project might require getting into the code so it might have to wait until I'm sure of what I'm doing!  Once things are settled, I'll pull out my books and start decoding the css sheets.
That's it for the moment. Updates as they happen....
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010 at 12:44am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Skywise signed off on my note and it is on the way.
I fully intend to ignore the whole thing until morning. If I fret about it any more, I'm gonna miss yet another night's sleep! So I've shut off the email and I am resolutely resisting the urge to check it or the url where the sub domain is supposed to be again tonight. Hopefully, they will either tell me what step I've missed (that no one told me about, naturally!) or they will do whatever it is that needs to be done on their end to get the makeover sub domain up where I can work on it. At the moment, I'm 95% sure that almost everything is loaded properly but until I can look at the new setup and poke around, I can't be 100% sure. I'm kinda concerned about some of the .gif files. I can reload them, no problem with that, but I'm not going to until I'm certain that I need to.
If I "do" find the makeover sub domain up where I can work on it, I'll wait until I'm actually ready to start copying files before I put Sanctuary back into Maintenance Mode and send out yet another General Email.  And I'm going to be damned sure that everything is working right before I let you guys come in and start testing stuff.
Hopefully, I'll get this done before the end of the century....

Post # 16,350
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010 at 3:33am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Well, I've heard from HostMonster.
It seems I'm a total tech-retard who can't do anything right even when I follow the directions exactly.
And, of course, helping me correct that isn't part of their jobs.
There will be no Makeover. Sorry to get your hopes up.
I'm locking this thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint