Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A promise.. to myself and you... (Read 8949 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: A promise.. to myself and you...
Reply #50 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 10:48am
Print Post  
YAY!!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Book 2: Damnation and Trial was published yesterday and getting it up WAS a trial! But it's up and available for purchase and I'm working on Book 3. Once it's finished, I'll be taking a short break before I dive into Book 4. I don't even have a bare bones outline for it so that will be the first thing on the To Do List. I "do" know which key events need to be included and which "loose ends" will permanently and forever been tied off. Yeah, gonna trim the cast a bit so I can add some more interesting characters -- primarily in the adversary category. Can't have too many good villains!

I thought I was done with Chapter 1 of Book 3 but I found something that I realized needed work so I'm doing that now.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:48am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Book 3/"Destinies" was published as an ebook on May 5th. The formatting problems that plagued the first two books continued into the third, sad to say. I see no easy and/or inexpensive way to fix them and I've come to the conclusion that the only way to have the books look like I want them to is to go the self-publish/print on demand route. The problem with that is that unlike epublishing, printing a traditional hardcopy book is not free and the more "professional" and "traditional looking" you want your book to be, the more it costs. THEN, there is the problem of generating sales since the self-published/print on demand book does not have a sales staff at the ready to create "buzz", get it out to the booksellers and generally do whatever possible to generate sales. So.... my goal now, while writing Book 4, is to learn all I can about self-publishing/print on demand and marketing -- both traditional methods and on the internet. I'm also going to be researching the companies that do print on demand and see which of them will give me the best deal for my money. Personally, I'd rather sit and write and leave the mechanics of publishing and marketing to those who have made that their business. Unfortunately, it appears that doing that means that my work won't be seen and I'm just a wee bit too proud of it to let that happen.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:17pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I'm reading a book, considered an industry classic, called "How to Get Happily Published" as the first step in my self-publish plan. This company is the first one I found http://outskirtspress.com/index.php and it looks interesting but I'm going to need to do a lot more investigating before I lay any money down. First thing I'm going to need to do is find out what I'd get in the way of product and services for my dollars and exactly how my arrangement with amazon would be affected by my producing a hard copy edition of each of my books. One thing I DO know -- having a stack of paperback copies of Homecoming would make promotion a LOT easier!
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I'm still researching self-publishing in its various forms as well as the job of marketing/promotion when you have a limited budget and NO staff. The Science Fiction Writers of America seem to be taking the position that self-publishing is a waste of effort for the most part. Or at least that's the impression I'm getting from their website article on the subject. Of course, I have NO idea how much of a "vested interest" that organization has in the "traditional way" of doing things. If it is a "major" interest, then their advice -- which leans toward "don't do it if you expect your work to be noticed" -- could reasonably be considered suspect.
Another decision I have to make is whether or not to start my own publishing company to publish the Keyholder's Castle books. I need to do a TON more research on that particular idea to say the least!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Still researching the self-publishing option -- got two books on the subject today -- and a quick Google has informed me that my preferred name for my "publishing company" has already been taken. By Simon and Schuster, no less so..... I'll have to come up with something else.
Damn. I liked that name and was getting attached to it.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint