Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What’s Happenin’? XIV:  Postzilla! (Read 40528 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: What’s Happenin’? XIV:  Postzilla!
Reply #875 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:35pm

Mmm... Naughty thoughts are always fun!!! Cheesy

*thinking stuff that is NOT appropriate for the main boards!*

Um, what were we talking about again?????  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #876 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:42pm

"Naughty stuff." To say anything further would be TMI.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #877 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:48pm

That's right... And yeah, it WOULD be TMI, especially for out here.... Tongue

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #878 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 11:53pm

Yes it would.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #879 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:54am

There! The dishwasher is FINALLY loaded and running! I can do something else while it is running.
What to do.....

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #880 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 3:07am

well finally got my beauty tips entry done, that took longer than i thought XD man it takes alot to blog everyday rofls XP didnt get nothin else done today either meant to go to the store to look at dye when my mom went to sleep before work but she decided to sleep till 1 and pull an all nighter so that didnt happen, spent the rest of the day going through old school papers that she had saved for some reason and throwing stuff away.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #881 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 3:12am

Yes it does. That's why I don't have one. Sanctuary is all that I can handle and some days I have trouble handling that!

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #882 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:51am

Smiley all!  Many blessings in this new year to you all Smiley  From a quick general thread perusal it looks like this new year is heading in positive directions for most.  A very encouraging sign! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #883 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:53am

Yep, so far, so good, RT. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #884 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:58am

Me too!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #885 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 8:03am

I have been hunting YouTubes and I am beat. Skywise will be home soon and one of the kits has just knocked over a leaning tower of paperwork *sigh* so I'm going to call it a night and clean up the mess before he gets home.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #886 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:40am

Morning everyone.

Son goes back to school this morning, as y'all can tell by how early I'm around...  Smiley I've been in for about a half hour or so but I've been busy getting caught up.  YIKES.

I'm not sure what's all happening today while Son is in school but Hubby did mention something about doing stuff that would require me going offline for a while here and there... So I'll probably be around on and off until after Son gets home from school. I do know I want that BLASTED tree down, it's still UP and it's in MY WAY!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #887 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:10pm

I'm going for my walk now... I'll be back later. Cheesy

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #888 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:39pm

Morning Smiley

As  a form of avoiding my housework I have been trying to think of some creative ways to help with your document conversion/transfer dilema.  you may be able to email yourself the documents from the old computer if you can still get it on-line  Then not only will you have a copy of your originals, you can download them whenever you like to the newer one.  No matter how much writing you've done, the great thing is those kinds of files are never too large to be inconvenient on dial up.  It's also possible that a free office software programe like open office, libre office or star office would be able to open the file and then you could save them as docs.  It may also be possible to rename the files as .txt or .doc to open them in word.  I would recommend trying this with copies first though.

If both computers have network cards and you have a router available, even though you can't use a router to share dial-up between your computers, you could have a local network set up so the new computer can access the older one directly.  Just a few ideas I have used before to move files for people...  Hope it helps in some way.  Now I better get busy on the housework... le sigh..

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #889 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 3:29pm

Ravens Tears wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:39pm:
Morning Smiley

As  a form of avoiding my housework I have been trying to think of some creative ways to help with your document conversion/transfer dilema.  you may be able to email yourself the documents from the old computer if you can still get it on-line  Then not only will you have a copy of your originals, you can download them whenever you like to the newer one.  No matter how much writing you've done, the great thing is those kinds of files are never too large to be inconvenient on dial up.  It's also possible that a free office software programe like open office, libre office or star office would be able to open the file and then you could save them as docs.  It may also be possible to rename the files as .txt or .doc to open them in word.  I would recommend trying this with copies first though.

If both computers have network cards and you have a router available, even though you can't use a router to share dial-up between your computers, you could have a local network set up so the new computer can access the older one directly.  Just a few ideas I have used before to move files for people...  Hope it helps in some way.  Now I better get busy on the housework... le sigh..

Thanks for the advice RT... Smiley One problem: My old Pentium isn't internet compatible... It doesn't have a modem or even an internet security program in it at the moment. Sad It's a great idea though! I don't have a networking card in it either... Or a router for that matter!!

Someone suggested taking the hard drive out of the Pentium and putting it into the Acer, which is the one I use for online stuff, etc.. One problem: The connections in the Acer are a LOT different than they are on most other computers... They set it up like that so whoever purchased that particular model had to buy special extra hard drives, special DVD/CD burners/players and the other hardware if they wanted extra stuff. *SIGHS* The only way I can get anything off of the old computer and onto the new one is by printing it all off and retyping it unfortunately. Professional Write runs off of DOS and isn't Windows compatible either... It was designed for DOS 3.0, and the last version of DOS was 6.0 or 6.1 before Windows 95 came out... Talk about NUTS!! *HEAD DESK*

Anyway, I had a great walk... I walked down to the stream/creek and back, which is about 1/3 of a mile, round trip. I'm going to do this walk every day (weather permitting!) for the rest of the week then up the length of it slowly week by week until I'm up to 2 miles a day which is my goal... That's about down to the sign/line for the next community and back, which isn't unreasonable. Tongue I'm hoping to be able to do the full 2 miles by the time Son's birthday rolls around at the end of May. That's NOT unreasonable!! LOL

I've also got the dishes done, created another account for Hubby on the computer, and got ran over by the cats (speaking of which, Amber is now sitting on TOP of my monitor again! Furry BRAT!! Roll Eyes ).

Best of all? That !@#$%^&* tree is DOWN!!!! *FIST PUMP!!*

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #890 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:03pm

I actually own dos on floppy - guess that lets out my secret of how geeky/nerdy I really am! lols  If I wasn't half a country away, I actually have all the parts/equipment needed to make those things possible.   It's something I really enjoy doing, like alot of guys and old cars... I like to see how much I can get out of an older computer Smiley  I have an old compaq pentium here in the basement that runs windows 98se, dos, linux and is network ready with only 64 mb of ram memory.    Anyways, another suggestion I have that might save you a bit of typing... do you have a scanner ?  They usually come with OCR software now so at least once you print the pages off the old comp, if you scan them into the new one, it will automatically convert them to word and all you'll have to do is proof read them for the occasional spelling errors instead of having to retype everything...  And as you can see, I am still avoiding my housework...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #891 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 4:13pm

I don't have a scanner... But I DO know someone who does... And their computer has USB ports on it so I could transfer it all onto a memory stick... Or I could set up my own computer there at their house and do the scanning, etc right onto my own system... I'll have to ask my youngest BIL if I can do that, it'll take some organizing down at his and MIL's house but it COULD work... BIL DID say he wouldn't mind me using their high speed sometime too, on my own computer that is, I just have to bring it and my own monitor, etc down that's all, he has a laptop (and a NICE one too!).

Thanks RT!! That just may work!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #892 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:15pm

Afternoon!

We've been to town and back already and I'm in for the day, more or less. At some point, I'm going to take an "exercise break" but that won't be for a while. I need to get caught up first!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #893 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 6:37pm

Smiley Smiley WOULD IT KILL CAPITAL ONE BANK TO USE NATIVE SPEAKERS OF ENGLISH TO MAKE VERIFICATION CALLS?

Would it kill my kids and my cats to SHUT THE HELL UP while I am trying to decipher what the previously mentioned "ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE" person on the phone is saying?

What is so hard to understand about the statement "THE LAST THING I CHARGED ON THAT CARD WAS A NEW FURNACE."?

The long and the short of it is, I'll be getting a new card in the mail shortly with yet another new number.  Hopefully, whoever managed to hijack that seldom used card number will get nailed from using a stolen card number.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #894 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:06pm

Smiley Penth!!!

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #895 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:08pm

supposedly my aunt said that theres some new law or something that if you call one of those services and get a foreign person you can ask what country they are in, and if they say anywhere that isnt the US or your country of origin you can ask for someone from your country and they have to transfer you

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #896 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:16pm

I know it's pretty frustrating with the foreign "english" speaking csr's.  I lost my customer support job for an american cell-phone company to the Phillipines 4 years ago.  Before that, almost every call I had was "Oh thank (deity of choice) I can understand you!"  Customers were already fed up before they let the rest of us North American csr's go.  I could tell from how their stock plummeted after that the customers were even less happy after the switch.  If it turns out the card number was stolen by a csr, they will be severely dealt with.  We had one who did that in my training crew.  They were made completely unrehireable and the cops threw the book at them too. 

Still avoiding the house work btw Tongue  And hoping my egg rolls will be ready soon Cheesy  I am trying to stay positive.  We just found out my niece's steady playdate has been caught playing in a couple other playgrounds.  After she spent almost a $1000 on a plane ticket to come see him :|  (That's a good "general" rated way of describing things I hope?)  Apparently ended with a boxing match and my niece being kicked out of the house in a city where she had no one else.  My sister had to go get her. So, I'm not very happy right now.  Good thing I  don't know how to drive...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #897 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:21pm

Smiley RT!

I think I've only spoken to ONE person who was not in Canada or the US that could actually speak English like it was his mother language... He was in India and had gone to school in England so he could speak the language like someone who is British. I'm just glad I can understand most British accents!!

When it comes to my internet provider, their customer service center is somewhere out in Utah or Nebraska, I THINK... So I'm lucky that I get an English speaking person when I call them!! Our credit card provider has call centers all over the place though, as do our banks. Drives me NUTS, the non English speaking ones ALWAYS pronounce our last name (or even the country we live in!) like something completely different. YUCK!

IP Logged

SooleawaSoyala

Reply #898 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:28pm

my one sri lankan friend was sent to an english speaking boarding school before college so she wouldnt have an accent, it still comes out when she gets frustrated though its totally adorable

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #899 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 7:30pm

Yeah, RT, that's "general" enough! Smiley

Skywise checked his account online and it's okay, thank the Gods. We're pretty sure that Capital One knew that something was fishy before they called since I didn't hear a peep from them after I put over $2,600 on the plastic for the furnace.  So, yeah, I'm thinking that "whoever" the charge was made to is on a "watch list."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41
Send TopicPrint