Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What’s Happenin’? XVII: When Harry Met Post (Read 36182 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What’s Happenin’? XVII: When Harry Met Post
Reply #850 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 4:54pm

Not having a good day. Thank the Gods for the Warrior Princess in my lap.

I went up to the Guest House. The first thing I saw when I went in was that the doors were noticeably bowed. I decided to turn them over and move the saw horses a bit closer together. In the course of doing this, I heard an odd sound and investigated.

The primer on the door I had just turned over had ripped -- like a piece of paper -- and several sections were hanging down in tatters, including a section nearly a foot long. I would cry if I weren't already so tired. I'm currently considering my options. The primer on the doors looks horrible -- especially on the door that ripped -- and one thing that looks "possible" is gluing thin plywood to the doors and painting THAT. The other option is peeling the paint off of the whole thing and leaving it white -- an option that frankly, makes me ill. White is NOT one of my favorite colors. It shows every speck of dirt and yellows entirely too soon. I am at my wits end and I haven't even had the chance to use the damned thing yet.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #851 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:08pm

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Penth!!

That bloody STINKS!!! Sad I wonder what on the gods' green earth made that happen??? DRAT!! Sad

Anyway, I'm back for a while now... I didn't get a lot done writing wise but what I was writing up wasn't an easy thing but at least I got a page done. Tongue

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #852 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:20pm

Something shifted when I was turning the second door over, not sure what, and that caused the door to move on the horse or the horse to move under the door. Either way, the result is the same. Whatever I decide to do next is going to have to wait. I'm out of spare cash for this project.

And WP is in my lap, purring.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:21pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #853 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:40pm

DRAT about that Penth! Sad

WP is trying to make you happier, I think, she's a sweetheart.

Noelle's having one of those days when she's feeling her age, poor thing. This heat and humidity makes that poor kitty feel rotten too. I'm keeping a close eye on her... She's eating and drinking normally so that's okay at least. Even Amber is having a "lay like broccoli day", she's as slow as Noelle is... Napping a lot or vegging in front of a fan a lot too. I'm expecting things to get really crazy when this humidity breaks though! Roll Eyes

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #854 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:45pm

I never thought that I would say this but I wish our humidity would go up. The air is so dry here that every time a storm front gets here, the air sucks all the moisture out of it and it fizzles without raining. The county immediately to the east has issued a "burn ban" and so as one to the south. I expect one to be issued for this county any day.

I am now going to go downstairs and work on the wardrobe. I still intend to have it up and usable by the weekend.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #855 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 5:57pm

Gotcha, I'm here for a while. Cheesy

Yeah I can see why you would want the humidity to go up enough to make it rain... We'll be getting our dry spell soon, mostly in the earlier part of July... Unless we get another wet summer. Roll Eyes

I'm going to grumble here...

We've had THREE named tropical cyclones already in the Atlantic, and two were before the season even opened three weeks ago.... #3 is out in the ocean now... And if the waters this far north are warm enough to let a tropical storm hang around for a few days between us and Newfoundland without it losing its tropical charactaristics, it's going to be one HECK of a wild year for storms here in eastern Canada... ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Smiley

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo not looking forward to this summer hurricane wise even more than I would in a normal year!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #856 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 6:49pm

I'm back. All three panels are secured. I still have some nails and screws to put it but those panels aren't going anywhere! I quit because a.) the phone was ringing and I had to come upstairs to see who it was (not important) and b.) it feels like I'm bleeding into my left knee. I'm not -- no swelling and not as much pain as one would expect in that situation -- but that's the only way I can think to describe the sensation. So I'm gonna take a couple of minutes to catch up and then I'm gonna get prone for a while.

VE, not wishing ill to my fellow Americans on the Gulf Coast but I REALLY wish one of those Tropical Storms would come roaring up the Mississippi River Valley and then draw a bead on Indianapolis......

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #857 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 6:55pm

EEP. I'm here so NO WORRIES about Sanctuary Penth!! Get that leg up so it rests and give Miss War Queen some love for me while you're at it (yes, I figure that kitty will follow you!)

I'll try to send the next one that comes along your way... You definitely need the rain more than we do right now! We're getting thundershowers all weekend, they're heading this way from southern Ontario. They should be moving south instead of east! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #858 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:09pm

Thanks, hon. I just checked. There are some storms heading into the state but the humidity is down to 39% so I'm not real optimistic that we'll get any rain. *sigh* And I'm off to prop up my leg. Loving and cuddles will be dispensed in your name to any feline that comes near me!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #859 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:19pm

Thank you!

I'm going to go see what I can rustle up to make for supper. Hubby should be home any time now and although I do have something defrosted, I don't have any clue what to make with it.

I'm also going to see if the kitties are feeling up to eating some canned yummies. It's cold from being in the fridge so maybe if they eat some, it'll help cool them off a little bit.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #860 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:33pm

I'm back. Lying down helped some. Still hurt but not as badly. I'm going to go up to the Guest House and take some measurements on the doors, then come back and load the dishwasher. I've put in all the nails and screws that I can on the wardrobe so it's time to start doing something "housewifey" since we won't be able to set it upright until Saturday since the piece we need to level it isn't cut yet and cutting it ain't gonna happen tonight and tomorrow is payday so it won't get cut then either!

I WILL, eventually, get this damned wardrobe finished!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #861 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:40pm

I'm really starting to feel rotten... I think I'm going to call it a night now and let my son have the computer for a while before he goes to bed.

I may even crash early myself. Yeah, I feel like dirt right now.

Tomorrow's a writing day for me, just letting everyone know. It's the last one before summer vacation... And Hubby is planning a few "father-son" trips to the bowling alley, etc so I can write more during the daytimes this year. He's being an angel about it. Cheesy

See y'all first thing tomorrow, have a great night.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #862 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:10pm

Nite, VE. Feel better! Smiley

I went up to the Guest House and measured the doors so if I have to buy wood or masonite to cover them, I'll know how much to get.

But....while there, I got out my "test piece." It's a test piece because one corner is broken and the laminate is loose. I took a chance and very carefully started pulling on that loose corner and the laminate came up! I didn't pull the whole thing off but it has given me a whole new course to pursue. Once I have the wardrobe up and in place, I'm going to attempt to remove the laminate from the doors. Providing that I can get it off without damaging the surface underneath beyond salvage, I'll prime THAT surface with "regular" primer and then paint the doors like normal wood at no additional cost since I already have plenty of regular primer and black paint. I'm about due for some "good luck" on this project and I'm hoping it starts NOW!

Meanwhile, I have the hose deployed to my rose bush -- which is again leafing out nicely -- and I'm giving it a good slow soak since rain ain't gonna happen with the humidity as low as it is. While that is running, I'll get the dishwasher going. Dinner tonight is pizza and I can do that pretty much on autopilot.
Better get busy....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #863 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:44pm

The rose bush is watered and the dishwasher is chugging away. I'll start working on dinner at about 9:30 since Skywise should be home around midnight and it takes about 2 hours to make pizza depending on how cooperative the dough is about rising.
Time to make some fresh tea and veg just a little bit.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #864 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 1:31am

Dishes are done, yeast is proofing and progress is being made in corralling all the empty soda bottles. I am on a roll...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #865 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 3:57am

Dinner is ready and Skywise is home!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #866 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am

As previously mentioned, Skywise is home. Dinner is eaten and I've filled him in on the entire "wardrobe situation" including the possibility of peeling off the laminate. We'll make decisions about that later. As it is, I've made out all the deposit slips for tomorrow so I'm gonna head out. It's payday and that means hitting the bank, Walmart, the grocery store and having lunch all before noon. Smiley I'm gonna need my sleep!

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #867 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 9:09am

Morning.

I'm still feeling rather blech but not as bad as I did last night. The humidity has dropped so that's a help!

Penth, it seems to me that the laminate on the wardrobe wasn't put on very well, like the glue wasn't very strong or there wasn't enough put on for it to hold it properly. Hopefully you can get it off without a lot of problems and do things the "normal" way with regular paint and primer!

I'm here for another couple of hours or so then I'll be offline trying to write... Key word is "TRYING" because between this cold and the chance of thunderstorms today, I may not get much of a chance to do it. Sad It's my last full writing day of the school year too so I'm hoping to make the most of it! After Monday, I'll be switching to a "write at night and whenever you get a chance to do it" mode for the summer.

Time to finish getting caught up and get Son ready for school. Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #868 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:56am

I'm sitting here listening to music while rereading/editing and trying to decide what to write up next in NR.... Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #869 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:16pm

Heading out to write now, see y'all in a few hours. Cheesy

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #870 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 4:06pm

Afternoon! Smiley

We're back from town and are mostly restocked. What little we still need to get, we'll pick up tomorrow.

I have tea and will be getting caught up.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2012 at 4:10pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #871 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 4:57pm

I went up and checked the doors. The "bowing" is looking better, the primer is coming off if you look at it wrong. Something is going to have to be done. I am personally not in favor of peeling off the current primer, applying more and waiting another seven days to see if it will "hold" on the doors.  Smiley At least the rest of it is done and we "should" be getting it in place tomorrow.
FINALLY!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #872 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:37pm

The kits are playing "tag." Hopefully the house will still be standing when they are through!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #873 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 6:08pm

...I need brain bleach.... Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2012 at 6:09pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #874 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 6:41pm

Shocked I'm almost afraid to ask Penth.....

Smiley

I'm here too now... I made the most of my last full writing day before summer vacation too! Cheesy Over 8 pages, three small scenes and a larger one was done today.

Did I eat that oninion?  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41
Send TopicPrint