Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Cast Iron Cooking (Read 372 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Cast Iron Cooking
Sep 25th, 2021 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
We were at a local festival today that had an reenactment camp as one of the attractions. I was explaining to Moonie why a dutch oven was sitting on a bed of coals with more coals piled on the lid. She found it interesting. Later we were in Rural King and they have 5 quart dutch ovens with lids available for a reasonable price. I succumbed to the temptation and bought one. I have several cookbooks on cooking in cast iron -- my resistance to cookbooks is VERY low -- and I suspect that once we get the fire-pit built -- which will be part of our "driveway project" -- Moonie and I will be trying our hands at "campfire cooking". Should be interesting.... 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Cast Iron Cooking
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 1:53am
Print Post  
We didn't get the fire-pit built when we planned. A few other things interfered and then there was Skywise's surgery in July which demanded our full and complete attention.

I haven't been idle, though. I currently have two dutch ovens with a third on the way (a fourth will be obtained when it shows up at Rural King) and several cookbooks on how to cook in them with a ton of recipes. I also have fifty pages copied off the internet on the "care and feeding" of cast iron cookware.

Campfire I'm designing a fire-pit/cooking area that will let me cook using either charcoal briquets or firewood since one of my dutch ovens has no feet and, of course, the cast iron skillets I inherited from Mom aren't suitable for sitting directly on a fire. Better to have a grate over the fire to set them on! Since it will be a couple of years -- more or less -- before I can bend my knees I'm designing the fire-pit so I'll be able to tend the food standing up. I think I have it about figured out but is probably going to be one of those things that evolves via "trial and error". Hopefully with very few errors....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint