Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Diets, diets and more diets! (Read 1577 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Diets, diets and more diets!
Oct 20th, 2019 at 4:16am
Print Post  
I'll be seeing a dietitian on Thursday at which time, I'll start following her recommendations. One diet that seems to be helpful for diabetics is the Ketogenic Diet so I'm investigating it now. I have one book on the subject -- The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners -- and I'll probably get Keto Diet for Dummies in few days. If it pans out and the dietitian agrees, I'll be looking at keto cookbooks. Fortunately, there is a ton of them out there.
As when Skywise was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I'm in research mode and the stack of books I need to read is getting bigger by the day. I probably should stop posting and get back to reading!  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Diets, diets and more diets!
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I've lost 9 pounds since August 27th when I started cutting back on carbs. I've made serious progress since I stopped inhaling regular Coke when we eat out and drinking sugar sweetened tea at home. We've laid in a stock of Diet A & W root beer which has no calories, no carbs and actually tastes good so I can have something fizzy with my pizza. The rest of the time, my drink of choice is ice water. Once I find out how many grams of carbohydrate I can have a day, I'll start figuring out how many carbs are in what I usually eat. Today was easy. Skywise and I split a half pound Arby's roast beef sandwich. I ate the filling and a couple of bites of the bun. High protein and low carbs. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I'm now limited to 30 to 45 grams of carbohydrate per meal. The dietitian told me that I could "save" carbs for special occasions like my upcoming birthday but day to day ODing on sweet, sticky stuff is out. *sigh* I'm gonna miss Roselyn's Alligator Coffee cake.  Cry
I'm going with a Low Carbohydrate/High (healthy) Fat Diet which has been proven effective and safe in a lot of studies so I pulled out my copy of "The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook" which is low carb -- of course. The recipes include the amount of carbs, fat and protein in each recipe. They don't include sodium amounts but after 6 years, I'm a old hand at getting around excess sodium. Some Keto recipes might make the cut but they tend to be higher in protein which I want to avoid. Apparently excess protein gets converted into -- wouldn't you know -- good, old glucose which is exactly what I want to avoid! I've got a couple of books coming tomorrow that will help. Good thing! I'm buried in books, diets and assorted information. Thank the Gods I don't have to "do" a special diet for arthritis!!
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2019 at 1:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I've spent the last hour or so printing out nutrition PDFs for several fast food places we frequent.  Smiley It's a wonder that we're not already dead!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Today's shopping expedition focused on "bread" and I actually found a version of a well known brand of bread that I can eat and so can Skywise. This means I can actually have a sandwich with two slices of bread or two pieces of toast with my breakfast.
I have missed bread.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I've been hunting down nutritional information tonight.
My head hurts!

I investigated the "Carnivore Diet" last night. "All meat/animal products all the time" defines it. That's one way to avoid carbs but I'm fond of lettuce and onions on my hamburgers and vegetables in my beef stew so I'm gonna have to pass on that one.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
I went off my diet a bit tonight but was reasonably good. I only had one piece of bread the size of a deck of cards and 1½ baked potatoes which were medium sized. I'm also going to have a small piece of MY birthday cake. So my glucose might be up a bit tonight/tomorrow morning but I'll be back to be being extra good tomorrow and into the future until Thanksgiving.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking of using the low carb bread we're eating to make French Toast. Eggo Thick and Fluffy French Toast has a lot of carbs and salt and I think I can bring that down by making them "homemade". Not as convenient but easier on the waistline and sodium and carb restrictions. Smuckers has a breakfast syrup that's apparently only available from Amazon in bottles and single serving containers. Skywise and I will discuss it.
I really miss pancakes and french toast.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I continue to fill in my Carb tables and I'm almost to the point where I need to print them out, put them in a folder and carry them around with me. I'll be spending the day filling in some of the blanks in the tables and fill in others as I grocery shop.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Still filling in my carb lists. Tracking down the information, especially on "fast food" can be difficult but I'm finding most of what I need.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I had to add yet another table to my carb list which is 14 pages long last I looked. I need to design a worksheet to use to figure out the "damage" for the things I make from scratch like our favorite chocolate cake and salad dressing.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
I've been finding out what I can eat at Fazoli's.
The answer is.... not much.  Cry
There are a couple of things I "might" be able to eat but if I need to be safe, I'd have to get a salad with added chicken. *sigh* I haven't checked the damage on their Ranch dressing but it's probably substantial. "Diet", "low cal" and "low carb" are not in their vocabulary.
Don't get me started on "sodium". They must boil their pasta in salted water....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I suddenly realized that Thanksgiving is a week from todaySmiley
And that Spirit's birthday is Saturday.
I've been distracted by PT visits and other appointments so now I need to get on the ball! Fortunately, Spirit's gifts have been delivered and the turkey is sitting in the freezer at the Old House. I just have to bake her cake -- tomorrow -- and start figuring out the menu for Thanksgiving dinner which is usually pretty "carb heavy". I'll need to consult with Moonie and Skywise......  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Since I've started counting carbs, Skywise has realized to his complete and utter horror just how many carbs he was eating on weekends. (I referred to it as "eating his way through the kitchen.") He was especially fond of large loaves of Italian bread with lots of butter which I'll admit, tastes really good. It was nothing for him to put away most if not all of a loaf in two or three days and while the calorie count on Italian bread isn't that outrageous, the carb count is! Now that he's started to pay attention to carbs, he's losing weight again after having plateaued.
I still weigh a bit more than he does but I'm catching up fast! I'm gonna leave him in the dust!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Being unable to find the pancake mix I want, I've found a recipe that I've modified a tiny bit (adding vanilla) and now I get to figure out what we call "the damage" -- that is to say, the carbs per serving. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of sugar plus the carbs in the flour so some tinkering will be called for unless the "damage per pancake" turns out to be a lot less than I'm expecting.
At least the sodium should be reasonable.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2019 at 5:19am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I've crunched the numbers on the pancake recipe but in order to figure out how many pancakes it makes, I'll have to make up a batch and have a pancake feed.
Which I will do as soon as the little pancake maker I ordered arrives.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I had to redo a bunch of recipes for Thanksgiving and they came out pretty well. Good enough to go in the LCHF section of my cookbook. I still have some number crunching to do but I made a form for that and my personal "carb table" is pretty complete so it will be a bit time consuming but not all that hard. Tracking down the carb counts on some of the ingredients was a trial but that is mostly done.

It's disheartening how many of the things we like to eat have more carbs than I'm allowed. Like Skywise, I miss good Italian bread and Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli and Penne. And of course.... breakfast pastries: sweet rolls, coffee cakes, donuts..... And dessert cakes: chocolate cake, white cake, yellow cake, cookies, brownies..... And adapting those recipes so I can have a little bite may not be possible.  Cry The girls can still eat them and Skywise is voluntarily restricting his carb intake so he can "cheat" once in a while but I can't. Not if I want to get my A1c numbers down and go into remission. Even then, I'll have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life, barring a way to reset my body to handle carbohydrate like it did when I was younger -- which will require a medical miracle or Divine Intervention -- or I will go right back to where I started from, maybe worse. I came "this close" to needing insulin shots. I want to avoid that at all costs.
So yeah, I'm more than a little discouraged right now. The list of what I can't eat is longer than the list of what I can....
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2019 at 3:31am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Tonight's dinner -- leftovers -- was heavy on carbs. Or at least heavier than I've been eating but I've been good all day and will continue to be right through the end of the year and into next year. It's very discouraging to be the cook and to be making food you can't eat.  Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 2:10am
Print Post  
I'm checking out the nutrition information for Steak and Shake.
Skywise loves their Frisco Melt which he won't be having again. It has about a week's worth of sodium in one sandwich. He might get away with eating one once in a great while but not a steady diet. Counting carbs and monitoring sodium really limits our eating out choices.  Sad

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 5:40am
Print Post  
I've been browsing through "America's Test Kitchen: The Complete Diabetic Cookbook". There's some interesting recipes in there that I'll be considering. One thing that annoys me is that while the "Diabetic" cookbook has the relevant nutritional information at the end of each recipe, the other ATK cookbooks do not. Smiley I hope that their Keto cookbook that will be coming out in a few months will have the nutritional information for each recipe since people on the Keto diet are as obsessive about carbs as diabetics are. Some DASH cookbooks have that information too including the one I have.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 4:19am
Print Post  
More food research tonight, specifically bone broth which supposedly can help rebuild the cartilage in arthritic knees. Needless to say, I'm interested in anything that will help my knees and forestall knee replacement!
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2019 at 2:11am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Dec 9th, 2019 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I discovered a recipe for bone broth in one of my old cookbooks -- the advantage of a large collection of old cookbooks -- but it isn't called "bone broth". It's called "stock". The ingredients and preparation directions are the same and various sites online admit that bone broth and meat stock are the same thing. They've just gone back to the original name to make it sound trendy. Now I'm looking for a more modern recipe that uses a crockpot for the long slow cooking.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Dec 12th, 2019 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I'm going through my old sodium tables and making them easier to read. I'd forgotten how big that file is.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Dec 12th, 2019 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I've quit with the sodium file for the night. Some of them will need updating and my brain is tired and my head hurts. I may cull some of the entries. In my zeal when I made the file, I included every restaurant I could think of in Central Indiana, several of which we've never eaten at. So, I'm considering taking them out. The file is currently up to 96 pages and that's a bit much..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 12:24am
Print Post  
A lot of low carb recipes call for almond flour.
I found some in Walmart today.
$9.98 for two pounds.
I can go through two pounds of flour without breaking a sweat. As far as I'm concerned, almond flour is going to stay on the shelf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint