Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Charisma and Charm (Read 4106 times)
DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Charisma and Charm
Feb 8th, 2007 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I know this is a huge thing when it come to fictional vampire accounts. However I find thids to be way to true in my life also. I feel I have a little more charisma and charm than normal. My theory is I probably wouldnt be able to feed as well without it. This hightened charisma and charm can also be cumbersome at times when the other parties involved dont know how to handle it. They become attached and sometimes feel so lured they cant get on with their own lives. I think I may have mastered the cut off point before that happens. Anyone else have this gift/problem?

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Re: Charisma and Charm
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Grin

This might explain my problem with obsessives who can't seem to let me go. 

I think it's true that this helps get the energy you need and/or find a willing donor if you are a sang.  Definitely never had any problems.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Smiley This sounds like it could be something that could turn exploitive, at the least, very quickly. I would think that it could also cause a problem in relationships in general. How to do you tell genuine affection from the charisma/charm induced feelings that facilitate feeding? Are the people so fed upon seen as nothing but food? If so, how can it be justified in moral terms? After all, these are human beings who are being manipulated, probably unknowingly, and should be deserving of some consideration.
In his book, The Ethical Vampire, Raven Kaldera states that anyone who becomes involved with a vampire automatically becomes part of the larder. He also goes into the problems inherent in a romantic relationship between vampires. That it is essentially a contest between two predators over the same prey and can be very difficult, if not impossible, to manage. I would think that the charisma/charm thing would also be a contributing factor since the need for new donors -- either psy or sang -- would be constant and the necessary attention paid by the vampire to the donor -- in order to keep them donating -- would put a strain on the relationship.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:57pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:28pm:
Smiley This sounds like it could be something that could turn exploitive, at the least, very quickly. I would think that it could also cause a problem in relationships in general. How to do you tell genuine affection from the charisma/charm induced feelings that facilitate feeding? Are the people so fed upon seen as nothing but food? If so, how can it be justified in moral terms? After all, these are human beings who are being manipulated, probably unknowingly, and should be deserving of some consideration.

Grin

Sorry, if I made it sound that way, I didn't mean for it to.

To break it down:

Quote:
How to do you tell genuine affection from the charisma/charm induced feelings that facilitate feeding?

Some people can't.  They get emotions confused with reality.  This is not always just on the vamps part -donors can also form a very significant attachment and attribute more to it than there is.  For psi feeders, many are also empathic to some degree, and if they have not previously learned to separate their emotions from those of others, this can be a real concern. For psi donors, this relationship is often as intimate as a lovers relationship, as they are exposing their inner self, their essence, to another person - something rarely done outside of very close interpersonal relationships. Most psi-vamps don't bother to teach their donors to shield, not considering the consequences of that link beforehand, and thus leaving both themself and the donor open to a potential issue of obsessiveness/posessiveness.

Especially in repeated situations, this becomes an issue. Repeated feedings from the same source, whether intentionally done or not, creates a link.  The more that link is used, the more intense the feelings become, and the harder it becomes to separate emotions from purpose.

Genuine affection is difficult to determine under normal circumstances, let alone one such as this. I think what you look at is this: take away that bond - what do you have? (Gotta be honest though... which people aren't always good at.)

For Sangs... it's a little different.  Rarely do a sang/sang exchange, as this creates one of those bonds that go well beyond the norm.   However, each person they feed from becomes a part of them, in a way.  Essentially, it is the same thing - but with blood, rather than energy.

ETA: Blood-bonding tends to be extremely intense, especially if the 'psychic' senses are awakened as well.  Hence my above-reference to the rarity of a sang/sang exchange. If it's done, it's typically done for exactly that purpose - bonding.  A lot of people also believe that two sangs cannot get what they need from one another unless one or the other (usually the stronger) also has an outside donor.

I'm always wary of anyone claiming to want to be a sang donor, or anyone looking to do any sort of blood-play.  Maybe that is me being paranoid... but blood is a powerful tool, and I wouldn't share mine with just anyone - so I'm a bit leery of anyone who is willing to give theirs freely and openly without some other sort of bond beforehand. (And there are PLENTY of those types of people out there.  Eh.)

Anyways...

Quote:
Are the people so fed upon seen as nothing but food?

To some?  Yes.  That's all they are.  For me personally, no.  

Quote:
If so, how can it be justified in moral terms?

Aha, the never ending ethical battle of the vampire. Smiley  The short answer is: some people have no morals, and therefore need no justification.  Others just don't care.

Those of us that do... are more picky and careful about who and what we take.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:17pm by FuryRising »  

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Also, yes... in almost any situation, charisma and charm and use of those to get what you want would be considered manipulation.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:07pm:

Grin

Sorry, if I made it sound that way, I didn't mean for it to.

To break it down:

Quote:
How to do you tell genuine affection from the charisma/charm induced feelings that facilitate feeding?

Some people can't.  They get emotions confused with reality.  This is not always just on the vamps part -donors can also form a very significant attachment and attribute more to it than there is.  For psi feeders, many are also empathic to some degree, and if they have not previously learned to separate their emotions from those of others, this can be a real concern. For psi donors, this relationship is often as intimate as a lovers relationship, as they are exposing their inner self, their essence, to another person - something rarely done outside of very close interpersonal relationships. Most psi-vamps don't bother to teach their donors to shield, not considering the consequences of that link beforehand, and thus leaving both themself and the donor open to a potential issue of obsessiveness/posessiveness.

Especially in repeated situations, this becomes an issue. Repeated feedings from the same source, whether intentionally done or not, creates a link.  The more that link is used, the more intense the feelings become, and the harder it becomes to separate emotions from purpose.

Genuine affection is difficult to determine under normal circumstances, let alone one such as this. I think what you look at is this: take away that bond - what do you have? (Gotta be honest though... which people aren't always good at.)

For Sangs... it's a little different.  Rarely do a sang/sang exchange, as this creates one of those bonds that go well beyond the norm.   However, each person they feed from becomes a part of them, in a way.  Essentially, it is the same thing - but with blood, rather than energy.

ETA: Blood-bonding tends to be extremely intense, especially if the 'psychic' senses are awakened as well.  Hence my above-reference to the rarity of a sang/sang exchange. If it's done, it's typically done for exactly that purpose - bonding.  A lot of people also believe that two sangs cannot get what they need from one another unless one or the other (usually the stronger) also has an outside donor.

I'm always wary of anyone claiming to want to be a sang donor, or anyone looking to do any sort of blood-play.  Maybe that is me being paranoid... but blood is a powerful tool, and I wouldn't share mine with just anyone - so I'm a bit leery of anyone who is willing to give theirs freely and openly without some other sort of bond beforehand. (And there are PLENTY of those types of people out there.  Eh.)

Anyways...

I would also think that the fact of fatal blood borne diseases would also be a consideration.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:06pm
Print Post  

In his book, The Ethical Vampire, Raven Kaldera states that anyone who becomes involved with a vampire automatically becomes part of the larder. He also goes into the problems inherent in a romantic relationship between vampires. That it is essentially a contest between two predators over the same prey and can be very difficult, if not impossible, to manage. I would think that the charisma/charm thing would also be a contributing factor since the need for new donors -- either psy or sang -- would be constant and the necessary attention paid by the vampire to the donor -- in order to keep them donating -- would put a strain on the relationship.

Grin You edited on me.

I have one very successful friendship with another sang.  (The 'sister' I think I've mentioned before...)

I have many friends who are psi.

Having an actual relationship with one (psi or sang)...well.... I don't know.

I think it depends on the archtype, really.  Even though you used the term predator, not all vamps (psi/sang/etc) are dominant, or alpha characters.  Just as not all wolves are alpha types, yet are still essential to the overall success of the 'pack', the same can be true of two vampires who are together - romantically or just as friends.  I think it can work if both are allowed to get the outside resources they need.  However, jealousy or possessiveness are both extremely likely to be an issue, especially if the bonds I referenced before are established between the two vamps.  That's something that they would need to work out on a case-by-case basis, most likely. It would also depend upon the depth of the connection in the two that were truly involved with one another - as well as the truth behind the feelings toward the donor, and the feelings of the donor toward their recipient.  I've known of couples who 'shared' donors... and others who kept their own for themselves.  Like any relationship, I think you have to want to make it work, and you'll do what it takes to make sure that it does.

'Automatically becomes part of the larder.'  Sorry, that made me laugh...

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I would also think that the fact of fatal blood borne diseases would also be a consideration.

FREE CLINICAL TESTING!!!

People that don't get it done are crazy, IMO.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:08pm by FuryRising »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Exactly.
I probably should make my views on sang donation clear at this point. I have no problem with it. The way I see it, if someone I care about needs blood to be healthy, physically or psychologically, and I can provide it I am willing to do so. For me, it is no different than any other sort of blood donation. I have no problem with intimacy and a close, intense bond with another person does not frighten me. Granted, it might be difficult to manage but I've yet to encounter any sort of intimate bond that was not difficult at one time or another. And yes, I have made the offer and would again.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Smiley

That would make you a very good and very understanding friend.

Both of my donors (yep, that's it - two ) have been very close friends, and remain very close friends.

Honestly, the idea of a stranger... kind of gives me the heebie jeebies, but I guess as long as people are safe about it...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I have to agree that the idea of a stranger turns me off too. But the person I made the offer to is very, very dear to me and the offer remains open and will remain so for as long as I am healthy and able to donate.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:03am
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:06pm:

Grin You edited on me.

I have one very successful friendship with another sang.  (The 'sister' I think I've mentioned before...)

I have many friends who are psi.

Having an actual relationship with one (psi or sang)...well.... I don't know.

I think it depends on the archtype, really.  Even though you used the term predator, not all vamps (psi/sang/etc) are dominant, or alpha characters.  Just as not all wolves are alpha types, yet are still essential to the overall success of the 'pack', the same can be true of two vampires who are together - romantically or just as friends.  I think it can work if both are allowed to get the outside resources they need.  However, jealousy or possessiveness are both extremely likely to be an issue, especially if the bonds I referenced before are established between the two vamps.  That's something that they would need to work out on a case-by-case basis, most likely. It would also depend upon the depth of the connection in the two that were truly involved with one another - as well as the truth behind the feelings toward the donor, and the feelings of the donor toward their recipient.  I've known of couples who 'shared' donors... and others who kept their own for themselves.  Like any relationship, I think you have to want to make it work, and you'll do what it takes to make sure that it does.

'Automatically becomes part of the larder.'  Sorry, that made me laugh...

Sorry. I had more thoughts and editing them in tied them together best.  "Automatically becomes part of the larder" comes straight from the book so I can't take the credit or blame for that one.  Grin  The term "predator" was also from the book but I have heard vampires of my acquaintance use that term to refer to themselves so I assume that is how they thought of themselves. At the core, all humans are predators to a greater or lesser degree. It is hardwired into us from thousands of generations of "hunter/gatherer" ancestors.
Truth in relationships can be a difficult goal to achieve  even "ordinary" relationships in which no outside forces -- such as needing to feed -- are present. People hide the truth from their partners as well as themselves in order to keep things going smoothly. They hide truths from themselves that they don't want to face for whatever reason. And sometimes, no matter how much you want it to work, it doesn't, no matter how hard you try.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry. I had more thoughts and editing them in tied them together best.  "Automatically becomes part of the larder" comes straight from the book so I can't take the credit or blame for that one.  Grin  The term "predator" was also from the book but I have heard vampires of my acquaintance use that term to refer to themselves so I assume that is how they thought of themselves. At the core, all humans are predators to a greater or lesser degree. It is hardwired into us from thousands of generations of "hunter/gatherer" ancestors.
Truth in relationships can be a difficult goal to achieve  even "ordinary" relationships in which no outside forces -- such as needing to feed -- are present. People hide the truth from their partners as well as themselves in order to keep things going smoothly. They hide truths from themselves that they don't want to face for whatever reason. And sometimes, no matter how much you want it to work, it doesn't, no matter how hard you try.

*shrug*  Predator is no worse and no better than many others out there.  Calling yourself a predator though is a good way to get people to look at you like you're a serial killer. Which actually, might have some positives...  Grin

Sometimes, when it's right... it falls into place and works out just fine.  Wink Relationships are always work - what matters is that you want to keep working at it - that it's worth the fight.  Life has a funny way of working out how it is supposed to.  Maybe not the way you plan, maybe not giving you what you think you wanted... but working out the way things are meant to be.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:29am
Print Post  
And sometimes after "it falls into place", it falls out of place because people grow and change and not always at the same pace or at the same way. The phrase "the only constant is change." is very true I'm afraid.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:29am:
And sometimes after "it falls into place", it falls out of place because people grow and change and not always at the same pace or at the same way. The phrase "the only constant is change." is very true I'm afraid.

Smiley  Truth.

I prefer to take that as it comes, personally.  Worrying about it and then it never happening just means I've worried in vain.

(Wow, I can't type for crap tonight.)
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:33am by FuryRising »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:49am
Print Post  
My mom referred to that as "Wasting a good "worry"."  Grin  My mom was a champion in the worry department and I do tend to follow in her footsteps.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:49am:
My mom referred to that as "Wasting a good "worry"."  Grin  My mom was a champion in the worry department and I do tend to follow in her footsteps.

Heh.  I think too much for my own good... but can't honestly say that I worry about much.  Things tend to fall into place, or I pick myself up by my bootstraps and MAKE them fall into place.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:58am
Print Post  
The first thing I can recall worrying about was if my mother was going to die. I was around 5 years old at the time. And since my father and grandfather had already died and my mother was having surgery, it was a valid concern.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:58am:
The first thing I can recall worrying about was if my mother was going to die. I was around 5 years old at the time. And since my father and grandfather had already died and my mother was having surgery, it was a valid concern.

Smiley

Funny how childhood truly sets the stage for life... and we don't always realize how much until we look back and reflect on things like that.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:13am
Print Post  
And once she had recovered, the whole family sat me down and had me decide who my guardian would be if she died. Kinda took the "child" out of childhood.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:21am
Print Post  
That's rough.

My hard knocks came in my teens... and are a part of the reason I know all about karma coming back to get you....and all about giving it a nice swift kick in the right direction.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:30am
Print Post  
By the time I was in my teens, my mom said that I was "older than she was." She was nearly 33 years older than me. I still cling to the hope that, someday, I will get to be young.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:30am:
By the time I was in my teens, my mom said that I was "older than she was." She was nearly 33 years older than me. I still cling to the hope that, someday, I will get to be young.

I hope you do.  If not in this life, then the next.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Thanks.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Sorry, couldn't think of anything that didn't sound completely trite... and even that did.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint