Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why (Read 10778 times)
Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Re: Why
Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Well, I would hope not! It would be difficult to be a dark lord if one scared easily! I guess to mention endurance here would be rude? Wink

LOL

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I would suppose that he has endurance but that is something that would have to be rigorously tested under controlled conditions in order for the results to have any validity. But that is a task for another time since we seem to have wandered considerably off topic!

It seems to me that having knowledge and the ability to use it confers a responsibility to use it wisely and for the benefit of society of which one is a part. That said, if I am aware of a crime that does not fall under our current justice system am I justified in using whatever means at my disposal to bring the criminal to some sort of justice?
Is it justified to use magick to force a criminal to turn himself in since that interferes with his free will?

I think it is.

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Not really adding a different perspective... but I think it is essential to know both sides of things in order to be truly 'good' at anything - that includes magic.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
There is plenty of evidence that the ancient practitioners were well versed in both sides of magick. This fact gets glossed over by moderns, who for whatever reason, don't want to be connected to it. I've always taken the position that if you have carefully considered the consequences and are willing to accept them, then do what you feel you have to do whether it is voicing an unpopular opinion, standing up for an ideal or casting a spell some people might not approve of. A lot of people don't like that and I've caught plenty of hell because it but I don't know any other way to be.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #29 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Definitely not a popular opinion, but one that I largely agree with.  I keep to myself alot because I've never met anyone with quite the same viewpoints.  That, and they never see you coming that way.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
My mother, bless her, always allowed me to have my say. I ended up doing what I was told but she didn't want or expect me to keep quiet if I had a problem with it. The rest of the extended family, however, expected me to sit down, shut up and do what I was told. As soon as I grew out of the "cute, little blonde girl" stage and hit adolescence, the fertilizer hit the fan and Mom and I caught all sorts of hell on a regular basis. So I can be sweet. I can be reasonable. I can be as civil as the next person but there is a point past which I won't be pushed. And that is when other people get a surprise.  Smiley

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #31 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I just push back...harder.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I prefer the "step out of the way and help them go head first into a brick wall" approach myself. Which most people are entirely willing to cooperate with once you stand up to them and refuse to be bullied. Anger makes you stupid.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #33 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
It takes alot to get me to the point of 'angry'.  When people do.... well... I have to find some place to hide the bodies.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I had to take myself in hand.  SmileyThere are only so many bodies you can hide on 14 acres....

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #35 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Grin

That is a LOT of bodies though!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Yes. It is.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Going back over the thread and reading, I have to wonder, why (there's that word again!  Grin) if we create our own reality, do we create them the way we do? And if the answer is "lessons" why do we persist in NOT LEARNING the lesson the first time through? We all know people who make the same mistakes over and over again. They come out of the situation, swear in front of God and Everybody that they will NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!! And then turn around and do exactly the same thing again!  Smiley *sigh*
Now, personally, I believe that we create our reality. We lay out the basic plan before birth and make up the rest as we live out our lives. If we get the lesson the first time it is presented, we move on to the next lesson. If we don't and the lesson is an important one, we just keep making the choices that keep the same lesson coming back until we "get it." And if we don't "get it" in this life, well, there is always the next one. Which you would think would be a powerful incentive to get it right the first time!  Grin  I'm beginning to think that there is no such thing as positive or negative magick. There is only intent and, sometimes, even if the intention is "good" it can still backfire and result in a "negative" outcome. I suspect that the more you know of magick and energy, the more careful you have to be about its use. The phrase "With great power comes great responsibility." might have come from a comic book but that doesn't make it any less true. Thoughts?

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #38 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Grin

Congratulations, you figured out what they're trying to tell you in all the books, but they make you read between the lines to actually get it.

Energy work, manipulation, magic of any kind is all about intent. It cannot do anything on it's own - it has to have your will behind it - whether that be good, ill, or neutral.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 2:39am
Print Post  
It has been my experience that no one can be neutral about a situation if they care about the outcome. Even if the spellwork is phrased with the standard "for the good of all and harm to none" the caster still has an opinion about how they want the situation to turn out or they wouldn't be casting a spell in the first place.
As for good intentions, the phrase concerning the road to hell comes to mind. I'm firmly of the opinion that the universe will give us exactly what we ask for, no more or no less, once we make it absolutely clear what we want. Of course, what we say we want and what we ask for are usually two different things as whatever gets the most energy is determined to be what we want by the universe. And if it isn't what we want, too bad. We asked for it.
Then too, there are the Gods and Their role in the proceedings. They seem to take a hands off approach especially if you have seriously screwed things up with bad and/or ill considered choices. It is the classic parental approach: "You got yourself into this. Get yourself out."  Which, I suppose, is all part of the "lessons" part of life.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rudas Starblaze

Reply #40 - May 19th, 2007 at 3:51am
Print Post  
DarkLord_Kodiak wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:21pm:
Yeah. Why? What is its purpose? Why cant we just get along with out it?
This oughta spark some good answers.

Yes lets talk about Negative Magick

while i totally agree there can be no good without evil and vise versa....

it all depends on the heart of the witch.  some people view what others do as evil but to the "evil doers" it may not seem evil at all.

i practice the full spectrum of witchcraft and its quite ironic that my good deeds go unnoticed while my bad deeds seem to be brought up and questioned all the time....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 7:41pm:
We need dark magick because not everyone is filled with the milk of human kindness. There are, unfortuately, plenty of people around who will do whatever it takes to get what they want and if magick will get the job done, they will use it no matter who might get hurt. And personally, I've very seldom seen "karma" come around and bite the truly deserving in the butt. So, I'm inclined to help justice along if I can.
I've been giving this matter a lot of thought over the last year or so and at least part of this answer no longer applies.
Karma works. It does come back and bite the deserving on the butt. HARD. Call it what you will: Karma. The Law of Attraction. What goes around comes around. By any name it amounts to the same thing. You act with intent to harm, you WILL be harmed in turn. You might think you're being clever. You might think that you will get away scot free. You won't. And the more harm you do, the more harm you will earn for yourself. Magick used for self defense is fine. The Universe allows that but "offensive" magick used in excess of what is needed for defense will come back on you.
Ever wonder why the lives of so many "magickal" people are complete train wrecks? Very likely, it is because they have not learned this lesson. Negative/harmful/manipulative magick isn't worth the price it exacts for its use.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #42 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:51am
Print Post  
It takes some folks a long time to learn that lesson, and some never do.

Balance comes over the whole spectrum, not always just the little piece you can see at one moment in time, and we all contribute to a shared reality where our individual perspectives cross and meet. This is where the fulcrums and balances are adjusted, and actions crossing realities are made. One ought to remember to step lightly and softly when events cause many realities to coincide, as all repercussions will be magnified to the same degree. This also applies to joint or communal actions.

For instance, lets say a "coven" of folks decides to take magical action toward someone or several someones. Gee whiz, the action had the effect those folks wanted, but it caused a negative result (negative in this case defined as directly harmful) to the target, whether desired that way or not. The returning "wave" of that energy will return that effect to ALL the participants in equal degree to their participation. That can cause a cascading reaction if the original casters decide this effect is "retaliation" from the original target, and become a vicious cycle of destructiveness. Often, only a complete "disconnect" from the group and all magical activities for a time is the only solution to the cycle.

Once again, I offer only my own opinion and conclusions from past experiences and observation.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I've been doing a good deal of reading and thinking and such since the last time I posted in this thread. I have delved into some rather out of the way places (still delving in fact) and I'm beginning to formulate some conclusions.
Earlier in this thread, Darklord Kodiak posted that his mother, a staunch Catholic, considered him damned because of, basically, his disinclination to follow her religious faith. The good that he has done, the lives he's saved, mean nothing in the eyes of her God because he does not follow the teachings of the Catholic Church.  By the same token, Skywise's mother is convinced that, at death, he will cease to exist in any form and she has disowned him for that reason. His crime? Marrying me and thereby violating the rules of the church in which he was raised.  Yet, both of these men are, by any rational standard in western culture, good and worthy men. As I doubt that such situations are unique, I have to conclude that religious practice or lack of it is a poor way to judge whether someone is "good" or "evil." Actions, how honorably one lives one's life, are a much more accurate gauge of whether one is good or evil, saved or damned.

I've also given some thought to karma. What is it? Why is it and why it seems to work so damned haphazardly or not at all? One interesting theory that I've run across is that karma -- as we are accustomed to discussing it in the West -- is a thoughtform, which we create ourselves as we go about our daily business. Have you ever wondered why it takes so DAMNED long for some people's karmic chickens to come home to roost? As an example and certainly not the only one: People who molest generations of children and avoid the karmic consequences of their actions for years, sometimes decades. Some of them go to their graves untouched by any penalty for their actions. Where is "karma" then? Shouldn't the harm done to those children have brought the karmic ceiling down on their molesters in relatively short order? Why is it that it is only after their crimes have been brought to light that the roof caves in? Why the delay?  If karma is a thoughtform, it makes sense.  A thoughtform, created unconsciously, takes time -- sometimes a lot of time -- to grow. An abuser who feels no guilt for what he is doing likely won't even create a "punishing" thoughtform at all.  The thoughtform, if it is to exist at all, would have to be created by the unconscious thoughts of the young victims and it would only be when enough psychic energy had been invested in the thoughtform that retribution would come. And if the thoughtform never got strong enough to overcome the defenses (natural or otherwise) of the abuser, he would never suffer any real world consequences for his actions and someone who knew and understood the science of thoughtforms would have little or nothing to fear, given that they could -- if they were skilled enough -- either destroy or keep at bay any thoughtform that attacked them.
Viewed like that, the workings of karma make sense.

So to answer the Darklord's original question: Why (practice dark magic)?

Because we can.
Because sometimes we have to.
Because for some of us, the Warrior Spirit within demands it where justice or the greater good would be served no other way.   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from The Dark Side [move by] Penthesilea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint