Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Penthesilea's Castle... posts 2300 to 2499 (Read 17265 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Castle... posts 2300 to 2499
Reply #25 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 2:59am

#2326 [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Ashera, may I have directions to the Dining Hall, please,” Daemon asked.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:00am

#2327   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

The Castle’s AI answered immediately. “Take the first stairway to the ground floor ballroom. The Dining Hall is on the northern side of the Main Hall.  Breakfast is currently being served.”
     Daemon could feel the little start go through Satira. She was obviously unused to the very high tech that Penthesilea’s Castle boasted.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:00am

#2329  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon smiled at his companion while appreciating the view provided by her low cut bodice. “If you need directions to any point in the Castle, or if you need to know someone’s location, just ask the question out loud, address it to ‘Ashera’, and the Castle will answer you.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:01am

#2330  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Satira noticed the direction of his gaze but pretended not to. It was a bit soon, she believed, to make her move. Still, it would not hurt to start the preliminaries. She reached into her waist pouch and pulled out a flask. “Allow me to replay the kindness. This is Spiced Date Wine from Karthik. I’ll warn you that it is very strong but I suspect that you can handle it.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:02am

#2331  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon, ever agreeable where women and alcohol were concerned, took the flask, opened it and took a long pull. He tilted his head back with a contented sigh. “That, my lady, is worthy of the Gods. And strong enough to give gremlin brew a contest!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:03am

#2332   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“I’ve never had that,” Satira replied. “You will have to pour me a cup some time. I drink Jaganmatan stout most of the time. It is rather strong too.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:03am

#2333  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“I don’t believe that I’ve heard of that,” Daemon replied. “Ah, here we are!” They walked into the Dining Hall and Daemon made a beeline for the serving tables with Satira in tow. They took trays and began to fill their plates. Satira was amazed at the amount of food available and the variety of it. Even with the use of magick to keep food fresh, the bounty of the Keyholder’s lands was impressive and all the more reason that they be held in secure hands. Satira’s hands...
     Daemon and Satira took their trays to an empty table and continued their small talk while they ate. Daemon finished first and stood. “If you would excuse me, I have some business to attend to. Perhaps we can meet later?”
     Satira smiled. “I would like that. Just ask the Castle were I am, I’ll be around.”  Daemon nodded and, taking his tray, left her to her thoughts.

Post #7.777

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:04am

#2334  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon was out of the Dining Hall when Satira realized that he had taken her flask with him. She sighed, not really displeased. It would give her an excuse to seek him out later...      

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:05am

#2335  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon left the Castle by the “kitchen gate” and made his way to the edge of the forest. He didn’t care to “farwalk” in plain sight unless it was absolutely necessary as it tended to unnerve onlookers. It also gave away a distinct tactical advantage. Once he was far enough into the woods, he began to farwalk. Since he was in unfamiliar territory, he “farwalked” to positions that he could see. It was dangerous to do otherwise. Once he knew the territory thoroughly, he would be able to “farwalk” to places that he knew but could not see but it would take considerable time to know a land that well and he had not stayed that long in one place for some years.      

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:06am

#2336  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

After breakfast, Penthesilea meets with the engineer sent by the Lord Marshall. He has the plans that Kodiak has had drawn up and they go over them carefully. Penthesilea will raise the outer walls with magick and she must get it right the first time!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:06am

#2337  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon “farwalked” until he was miles from the Castle and not likely to be seen by anyone. Then he shifted his form to that of a wolf and sniffed the air. He caught a trace of a promising scent and loped in that direction. He wanted to be more certain before he called.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:07am

#2338    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Down in the gremlin caves, the gremlins went about the business of turning the natural limestone caves into a suitable habitation. Water had to be diverted and stored. Damp areas had to be dried out. Living quarters and work areas had to be decided on and made useable. Some areas had already been finished and were in use.  Most of the gremlin families were already in residence, living communally in the “common” areas until the family apartments were ready to move into. The armories were already built and stocked.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:07am

#2339     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon continues to follow the faint scent through the forest, going ever deeper into its unmapped interior. Finally, he is sure.  He finds a suitable spot and assumes a form that is part wolf and part man. He lifts his muzzle to the skies and howls....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:08am

#2340    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Satira was in her rooms when the urge to commune with her God overcame her. Knowing only too well the price of disobedience to that call, Satira went immediately to the small temple that she had established in her apartment and fell to her knees. She had no sooner assumed the proper mental state that her God made Himself known. He had orders for her and a plan....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:09am

#2341    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Before long, Satira was slipping out of the Castle carrying several small devices that her God had directed her to assemble.  She was using every art at her disposal to pass unnoticed because the devices were bombs -- part magick and part science and very destructive -- and she would not be able to explain why she had them if she were caught. With the God’s guidance she found her way to a small opening that would eventually serve as a “back door” to a section of the cave complex. Carefully, she squirmed through the opening and into the caves. Once she was inside the caves, she moved as silently as the thief she once was to various points that her God guided her to. She left the bombs in those places and set the timers to explode once she was safely back at the Castle. Once they were all in place, she slipped out the way she came and started back to the Castle.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:10am

#2342    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon shifted to fully human form while he waited for his call to be answered. He heard the answering howl in the not too far distance and knew he would have company shortly. While he did not personally know this group of Wolfkin, they were all on the same hunt. None of the Wolfkin would rest until their dead were avenged. It was a sentiment that Daemon shared wholeheartedly.
     The pack of nearly thirty wolves burst from the undergrowth led by a young female. Before his eyes, they shifted and changed assuming their human forms. They were a packtribe -- an extended family -- and not a warband. That disturbed him. Some of the pack members looked to be barely out of childhood but they all regarded him with the same grim expression. They knew what they hunted even if they did not, could not comprehend the horror of it. The pack leader stepped forward. In human form, she was small and slender and looked to be in her early twenties, if not younger.
     “I am Nightdeath,” she said. “Are you the one we were told to expect?”
     “I am,” Daemon answered. “I have just arrived in the area. What have you learned?”
     “He is here. We find his trail and then lose it again. We have called for reinforcements but they may not arrive in time.”
     “My sister is a powerful sorceress and liege lady of these lands. She will help us if we need it.” Daemon smiled grimly. “I do not want to involve her unless it is necessary. This blood belongs to us by right.”
     Nightdeath nodded and behind her, her tribe made noises of agreement.  “We will continue to track and when we have located him, we will call you and wait. Be swift when the call comes, we may not have much time.”  Daemon nods his agreement and Nightdeath and her people shift form again and the wolves disappear into the forest. With much to occupy his thoughts, Daemon begins the return trip to the Castle.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:11am

#2344  Penthesilea

East of the Castle

*The Keyholder, assisted by the engineer sent by the Lord Marshall, supervises a swarm of gremlins as they survey and stake the location of the walls the Keyholder will raise for the new military wing of the Castle.*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:11am

#2345    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon returns to the Castle and immediately helps himself to the cold buffet that is laid out in the Dining Hall. Then, although the ale in the Dining Hall is every bit as good as that in the Pub, he relocates there. Pubs were much better for deep thinking and brooding than were brightly lit, cheerful Dining Halls...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:12am

#2346  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon was busy honing his brooding skills in the Pub when a gremlin appeared at his side and handed him a roll of papers which proved to be maps of the various levels of the caves. Daemon spread them out and the gremlin proceeded to explain what had been done and what still needed doing. With a flourish, Daemon rolled the maps back up.
     “I’ll come along and supervise. Gremlins and explosives are never
a good thing.” The gremlin’s acid reply was in his own language and unintelligible to those sitting nearby but whatever he said made Daemon roar with laughter. They left the Pub together heading for the gremlin caves.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:13am

#2347  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Satira was about halfway back to the Castle when, to her horror, she was spotted by Daemon coming in the opposite direction.  It was too late to hide, he had already seen her, so she waited for him to reach her.
     Daemon was surprised to see Satira on the path but then he remembered the flask still in his pocket and grinned sheepishly. He pulled it out as he reached her and handed it back. “Looking for this? I’m sorry. I was preoccupied.”
     “That’s alright,” Satira replied, taking the flask and tucking it away. “I knew you wouldn’t steal it.”
     “We’re on our way to the gremlin caves. The lads are going to be excavating later and they want my opinion on their preparations.” The snort from the gremlin beside Daemon made Satira giggle. “Why don’t you come along? I can give you the tour before they blow everything up.”
     Satira tried desperately to think of a way to avoid going back into the caves and to hide her nervousness. “I don’t know,” she hedged. “They don’t know me and might not like me intruding.”
     “Nonsense!” Daemon exclaimed. “You’re with me, not some nosy interloper!” He looked at her closely. “You’re not afraid to be underground, are you?”
     Inwardly, Satira breathed a sigh of relief and grasped the lifeline that Daemon had unwittingly thrown her. “Yes, I am. A little. It is embarrassing to admit.”
     Daemon took her hand, tucked it into his arm and patted it reassuringly. “Well, come along with us. It won’t take me long to inspect things and then we can walk back to the Castle together. You won’t have to go inside the caves. The gremlins have a very nice ‘waiting area’ set up just inside the mouth of the cave to met with folks they don’t want to come all the way inside. It is more like an overhang than a cave.”
     Satira could see no way out of it. She only hoped that the bombs would go off before they arrived. “Of course,” she replied, smiling. “I’d like that.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:14am

#2348  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

The walk back to the caves was uneventful and much to Satira’s dismay, no explosions occurred prior to their arrival. Daemon and the gremlin led her to the waiting area where refreshments suitable for human consumption were laid out. Since there were no visitors at the moment, the gremlins were using the reception area as a sheltered dining hall.  Satira accepted the offer of an ale to cover her bad case of nerves and kept an eye on the way out!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:18am

#2349  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Suddenly, the air is filled with a shrill wailing noise that causes Satira to clap her hands over her ears as a harsh voice begins bellowing orders in gremlinese over the cave’s public address system. 
     “RUN!” Daemon bellows and shoves her toward the cave’s entrance as all around them, gremlins drop what they are doing and run for the exits. Larger gremlins pause only long enough to snatch up children.  Daemon himself heads deeper into the caves.  For a moment, Satira hesitates, she knows how destructive the bombs she planted are.  Then she obeys Daemon and runs. If Daemon dies in the caves, his grieving sister will need a confidant even more, she reasons, and she will still have the Lord Marshall to warm her bed! 
     The rushing tide of gremlins carry Satira some distance from the cave entrance before she is able to get free of the press and look back toward the cave.  The torrent has slowed to a trickle as the last gremlins exit the cave. These gremlins are all carrying others and Satira realizes that these last few are evacuating those too old or infirm to escape on their own. The last to exit is Daemon who is, like the others carrying an aged gremlin. Daemon is barely clear of the entrance when the bombs begin to go off.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:19am

#2350    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Did everyone get out?” Daemon’s bellow blasted out over the landscape and he was answered by dozens of voices in gremlinese.  The milling gremlins began to get themselves organized while Daemon and the engineer gremlins prepare to go back inside the moment that the caves were declared safe. Or even before. As Satira watched, Daemon and a group of a dozen of the largest gremlins went back inside to search for trapped survivors. Moments later,  a howl of pure rage comes echoing out of the cave. Satira knows that it is Daemon but before anyone can react, the ground begins to groan.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:20am

#2351  Penthesilea

Coming into the Castle after a hard day's riding herd on a pack of gremlins, the Keyholder feels pain in the area's bedrock through her link to the Castle. A howl of rage blasts through her brain and she falls to her knees!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 3:20am

#2352  Penthesilea

Fighting free of rage that is not her own, Penthesilea  realizes that the delicate balance of the local geological stresses has been upset! The rumble of a devastating earthquake begins to build under the Castle! There is no time! Penthesilea gathers her powers as Keyholder and teleports to her Tower, appearing in the middle of her magickal workroom. With no thought for her own safety, Penthesilea drives her awareness into the limestone bedrock, channeling the power of the coming quake into her own body. Still holding the fury of the tortured earth with her will, she reaches for the sky... up beyond the clouds, beyond the air, to a place without life or anything that could be harmed.    The shock wave comes!
     Glowing with the power flowing through her, her hair stirring in an unseen breeze, Penthesilea channels the power of the earthquake through her body and out into space where it dissipates harmlessly.
The shock wave has passed. The Castle and its lands are safe. The Keyholder falls bonelessly to her workroom floor....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint