Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness (Read 9534 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Survival of the Fittest: Emergency Preparedness
Reply #100 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Alton's Pandemic Preparedness Guide: Dealing with Emerging and Current Viral Threats came today so I'll be digging into that later. The first part is a primer on viruses in general and the ones we are familiar with. It also has a section on how to set up a sick room and then it gets into what specifically we know about CoVid-19. No pleasure reading for me for a few days. Just as well, the "pleasure reading" book I ordered hasn't arrived yet! (Print on Demand is like that....) 
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2020 at 6:46pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
The pattern is free.  Smiley
I downloaded two versions just to be sure -- one is for a home printer and letter size paper and the other needs to be taken to a print shop. I'll print off the individual pages on 20 pound printer paper and transfer them to larger paper -- easier to work with that way. The "large" size will fit Skywise, Spirit and me. Moonie will need a smaller size. I'll probably make them up this summer in my spare time. I have a few other things to sew first!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I've been working on the facemasks and the first trial of my idea won't work. I'll be going to "Plan B" but not today. I have stuff down here to do.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
As I've posted elsewhere, a second wave of Covid-19 is expected. If that weren't bad enough, (very) early predictions about the coming winter are that it is going to be a  Smiley, Smiley, Smiley of a winter. NOT good news -- at all! So what do we do?
"Lockdown" should have given you an idea of what you really need to a.) keep your household running and b.) maintain some level of sanity.

Now, for the last three - four decades I've spent the fall months preparing for what I've called "The Second Coming of the Blizzard of '78". A few years ago, it was demonstrated that said blizzard doesn't even have to be here to throw a wrench into things. All it has to do is disrupt the supply chain and the store shelves will be bare in no time.

What to do? Well, I'm going to start stocking up a bit earlier than previously on what I'd need to get us through a stretch of really bad weather -- which is pretty much what we'd need to keep the household going during a renewed/prolonged lockdown. Now is the time to do this, before there are any shortages or breaks in the supply chain.

I'm going to pay a bit more attention to "Sanity maintenance" this year. I didn't figure on the movie theaters being closed and the entertainment industry being shut down which is severely restricting the production of new television shows and movies. So.. filling out our DVD collection of television shows and movies is on my list. The cache of craft supplies of all sorts needs to be built up and, of course..... BOOKS! I have a series of novels that are waiting to be read -- although I have sneaked peeks at some of them -- so I'll have something interesting to read this winter.

I can't provide you with a checklist of what to get, only you can make such a list. I suggest that you do that and get the "blanks" filled in as much as you can before any and/or all of the Smiley hits the fan.
Again.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I just posted this on FB, friends only. I don't know how long it will stay up or if FB will delete it but I've done what I felt needed to be done. That's all I can do.  Cry

Nobody is saying it, so I will. If you live in a city or state controlled by Democrats where riots (don’t kid yourselves, we aren’t talking about “peaceful protesters” here) are occurring, the riots are NOT going to stop. No amount of appeasement will satisfy them. They have an agenda which does NOT include non-violent solutions and I see no indication that they will put down their clubs, bricks and firebombs and go home. Therefore, at some point, maybe before, maybe after the November election, martial law will be declared. It might be “local” and confined to specific areas or it could be nationwide. There is no way to tell at this point. Either way, there will be disruptions in “normal” life that will make the Covid-19 restrictions look like nothing.
The only advice I have to give is: first: research what martial law IS, what it entails and what would be expected of the private citizen. Second: figure out what you will need to survive the Mother of all Lockdowns (that’s pretty much what martial law is, “lockdown on steroids) and start laying in supplies so that when the fertilizer hits the fan, you won’t be among the hordes fighting in the stores over toilet paper or whatever. And... be safe.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Just ordered some shelves for the basement. NEED MORE STORAGE!
Actually, the storage we have needs to be better organized and THAT'S what the shelves are for. There are TONS of plastic storage boxes taking up floorspace and some are too heavy to stack so.... shelves.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Those in a position to make such statements are saying that if Trump wins re-election "violence will explode" and it won't stop even if Biden is elected because those behind the violence want to use him to take over the country for their own ends. Either way, it sounds like "it" is gonna hit the fan in a major way.

https://stillnessinthestorm.com/2020/09/former-cia-officer-violence-will-explode
-if-trump-wins-re-election/?fbclid=IwAR1lpjyVuyjJtNc7ICGk8_eM93IRLmOV6BTD_nhqEcE
3Bzk9wFiZu7-7vyE

The advice I gave above about martial law still holds, in spades. Prepare to hunker down/hole up, especially if you live in an urban area. If you have a safe(r) place you can go in case it gets too dangerous where you are, prepare for that and if you have to leave.... DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO LEAVE!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #107 - Oct 7th, 2020 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Okay. (deep breath)
Chatter in certain areas of the internet are saying that things could get hairy -- as in invoking the Insurrection Act -- the last week in October, which is, as you know, just before the national election. Reports of discarded mail -- sometimes HUGE amounts containing "mail in" election ballots -- continue to come in as well as blatant vote buying and fraud. Attempts to steal the election for the Democrats are in full swing. The US Postal Inspection Service is on it but they can't be everywhere at once so....

My advice for voting: If you are going to vote mail in, turn your ballot in DIRECTLY to the Post Office. Do not give it to a carrier, deposit in a mail box or any "designated" ballot box. Take it to your local post office. That will reduce the chances that your vote will be "lost".
If you want to avoid crowds for one reason or another, find out where you can "vote early" and go there. Fewer people and your vote will be as secure as it would be as if you were voting at your poling place on election day.

The rest of my advice: 
If you haven't already, get ready for the "Mother of All Lockdowns." Make sure you have enough supplies, medication, etc. to last a while. The Insurrection Act won't be invoked lightly and if it is.. you don't want to have to go out for anything.
Be safe. Smiley

Post #43,456
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2020 at 6:05pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #108 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Troubling reports of naval maneuvering off the East and West coasts and troop movements inside the country are coming in. The British are also reporting "suspicious" activity by the Russian navy which may or may not be preparing to position themselves off the East Coast.

Rumors in the intelligence community report that if the Supreme Court decides a suit filled by Texas today and supported by an increasing number of states results in overturning election results in the disputed states, the Democrats will request that the UN invade the US to "depose" President Trump as a dictator. Which would explain the naval, ground and air troop movements.

Also rumored that the West Coast states (California, Washington and Oregon) as well as New York will attempt to secede from the United States if things don't go their way. Which would require the President to invoke the Insurrection Act.

We "could" know by the end of the month what is going to happen. For now, the only advice I can give is be as prepared as you can be, hold close those you love and pray to whichever God or Gods you honor for our country and the world.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #109 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:51am
Print Post  
A lot of things that "might" have happened since November, thankfully, haven't. That's the extent of the "good news" since we're not out of the "political woods" just yet -- according to various sources "out there".
That being said, something else is looming to which very little attention is currently -- or at least publicly -- being paid and that is the Grand Solar Minimum that is currently underway. Early predictions about the Winter of '21 - '22 are that it will be long, cold, wet and brutal. In addition to the GSM, a strong La Nina is currently underway and predicted to extend into the spring of '22 which may very well be non-existent with the weather transitioning from winter straight into summer. This will cause all manner of the misery associated with blizzards, ice storms and polar vortexes and will significantly delay spring planting with a negative impact on food supplies. "Just in time" resupply will be disrupted, maybe for weeks at a time so preparing should you be unable to get supplies should be a top priority. Whatever you plan to do to supplement your food supplies, get started now and if you plan to "grow your own" utilize as many different methods as you can manage.
We're going to need all the help we can get.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:16am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #110 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
It isn't in the mainstream media yet but civilian reports from the southern border of the United States state that 80,000 angry, armed Haitians are heading for the border intending to force their way across. They are expected to arrive Wednesday. Reportedly, the army is on the way there to meet them. It has also been reported -- also unconfirmed -- that President Trump has been moved to an unknown secure location.
If true, the msm won't be able to cover it up although they'll probably try. If so, expect the internet to go down.
Stay alert and do what's necessary to stay safe, especially if you live along the southern border of the US that doesn't have a border wall in place.
I pray it's a "false alarm" but I don't think it is....

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2021 at 7:42pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #111 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I just posted this on Facebook

What's on my mind? The Second Coming of the Blizzard of '78. Predictions for this winter do NOT give me the "warm fuzzies". Back then, it was Mom and I and our little dog. We had a fireplace, plenty of wood, food and the power stayed on. NOW it's Hubby, me, our girls and four, sometimes five cats. I normally start thinking about "winter storm prep" in late September but for some reason, it's on my mind NOW. I'm gonna listen to my intuition.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Much to my disappointment I just found out that one of my favorite authors on the subject of herbal medicine in a survival/emergency situation has abandoned that work and shifted all her materials to Daisy Luther's site. I guess having Amazon ban her book on treating the Covid virus -- which fortunately I bought before it was banned -- was too hard a hit. Now.... she's going to be a musician.  Smiley That might be emotionally fulfilling but.... *sigh*
I'm glad I have all her books already but I'm sad that there won't be any more.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2022 at 12:15am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #113 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 1:33am
Print Post  
We have high winds today and Skywise heard a large tree break and fall in the woods this afternoon. It's snowing like a white hell in Michigan and there have been blizzard conditions in the Buffalo, New York area for the last two days and it's still snowing.  Blizzard Windy Winter Snowfall Last I heard it was coming down at a rate of 3 inches plus or minus an hour.

"Global Cooling" has arrived in force.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2022 at 1:34am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint