Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Own Personal Brand of Insanity (Read 987 times)
Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

My Own Personal Brand of Insanity
Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:36am
Print Post  
My beliefs are varied and odd.  I briefly outlined some in the "what do you believe" thread, but here I'll flesh it out bit by bit.  And comments are always welcome.

First, I believe that all gods are real, in a sense.  The belief in them alone has sufficient strength to create a very real effect on the world itself.  I believe every person, place or thing has a bit of divinity in them, and it is this that they may give or attribute to whatever gods they worship.  It is this energy which can sustain, shape or even empower the gods, like water to a plant. 

I believe there are places where such divinity collects naturally, like water running into lakes and streams, or is gathered and given from non-human people (like trees, rocks, and streams) into local places.  It is from these collections that arose first, the place or nature gods.  And it was from these gods that the first peoples learned to worship their own, plant the seeds of them and nourish them with prayer.

I believe the gods started out as simple beings that came to thrive and grow from collective belief and worship, and can be "colored" by it - a god that absorbs the prayers of war and the belief of a people in war-god will become more and more warlike.  I believe a lot of people don't notice the difference between what their god is like and what it is expected to be like.  They should.

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Re: My Own Personal Brand of Insanity
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Part the second

I believe I do not need to follow any of the gods, that I can (and will) walk my own path.  The gods reality does not necessitate a need to worship, I can understand the words of a great leader without following them, I can see the reality and tangibility of political parties, schools of thought, or churches, without being compelled to "take a side" or define myself by them. 

I believe in self-sufficiency, in self-determination, in personal responsibility.  I believe that if I have the right to say I control my own destiny, I have the responsibility to do it wisely and, when I screw up, accept and do my best to fix it.  If I decline to worship in prosperity, I have absolutely no business expecting any aid in distress.  I believe that there is a deep connection between control and dependance, and I do not let myself be dependant if I am not also willing to hand over control - which I will not do without very good reason, and never systematically.  I believe I can be properly respectful to the gods without expecting or owing anything to them.

I believe that many people, especially those who rarely think about what they believe or blindly follow,  pray to gods as to parents, to take control of their lives for them, so they need not think or act.  I believe such need to grow up, as all children must leave their parents someday, and learn to take responsibility first, then appeal to gods only in that which gods may affect.  I believe that those who maintain close and personal relationships with their gods, and who take responsibility for themselves first and appeal to the gods without conceit are the exception rather than the rule, but also the most proper, if I dare say, way to worship.

I believe that with time, growth and learning a person may become as much a part of the divine as any god.  They may grow and mature, they may become a part of something larger by those they affect through their actions, they may accumulate strenght and wisdom and possibility, until they can affect the fabric of reality itself, the universe - which is what a god can do.  I believe it will take a really long time before such occurs, at least a couple thousand lifetimes and much work between.  I believe that being a part of the divine fabric of life, whether specifically as a god or generally as part of the weaving, is the destination of every soul, once sufficiently grown.

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Part the third.

I believe that belief creates reality.  It changes what is real, it changes the beliefs and assumptions that cause actions.  I know that words have power, and so do attitudes and opinions, and most of all, Names.  I believe that calling something or naming something can change the way it's viewed, I also know it can change the way I'm viewed, that I would think to say it.  I know that not all power can be harnessed or controlled.  I know the most power comes from things that are so commonplace they are overlooked, because few bother to learn their names.  I belive I need not listen to you, if you don't know my NAME - if you have taken the time to find out, you are someone to be taken seriously.  ANd I don't mean the name my parents gave to me.

I believe that a sufficient amount of belief can rewrite reality.  I believe that it can change even things we *currently* think and believe are fundamental.  I think reality is not very amenable to being changed so, and the fact is near-impossible to prove, because it is easy to force oneself to think a certain way, but much hader to try and force true, strong belief.  I believe that the belief of one person, or a small group, is not necessarily enough to change something bigger than themselves, that a single belief in flight cannot counter the belief of the earth and air in falling.  I believe it can nevertheless work with them to achieve its goal.

I believe the "natural" laws are the beliefs of the earth, air, and water, the belief of the unseen forces.  I believe it is possible they were once different, but if so we could not know.  I know that all things have the possibility of soul, of that kind of agency, and they can matter as much as myself. 

I believe that one's beliefs are god, within the boundaries of themselves.  I think this is especially true when beliefs are pure, if it is not truly believed, so if one *knows* something else (like science) says it's impossible, it is likely not strong enough belief to change anything.  I believe many medical miracles, placebo effects, faith healing, and even (in some cases) the opposite things like hypochondria or even witchcraft death(where belief in sickness makes it real) are all part, parcel and proof of this idea.

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I believe in honor, and loyalty, and ironbound morality.  I believe in drawing lines and standing by them, rather than letting go "lesser" infractions while waiting for fights that matter.  Every fight matters, and making clear the drawn lines will prevent greater infractions, because it is known they will not be ignored.  I believe that "for your own good" and "for the greater good" (and specifically, "for the children") are the face of the greatest evils upon the world.  These are mere justifications for forcing uniformity, and harming the individual with impunity.  After all, numbers do not rightness make.  I believe it is better to fall, better for the world to fall, than to give in to the demands of monsters.

I believe in giving up anything on heaven and earth to keep one's people, one's friends and family, safe.  I believe in "never trust a people, that doesn't put their people first".  However, putting people first does not always mean doing what they want any more than it means deciding for them.  Sometimes it is nescessary to simply respect what the results of a choice are.  I believe there is very little that is taboo under the circumstances of people at risk, but those that are must be kept.  I believe it is in times of crisis that morals are needed most and strongest.  Mere necessity, like self-justification, is a pliable thing that is too easily adapted to be a fair standard. 

I believe in judgement solely by the individual, never by stereotypes or collective identities.  I believe there is no thread that binds all people, there is nothing in any group that can be taken as equally true for all members.  I believe that there is exactly one thing in any group that is the same, and that it the thing they are group-identifed as, this is as true for physically-based groups as for ideologically based ones.  I believe a lot people still need to learn this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint