Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts! (Read 39481 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' V: The Night of the Living Posts!
Reply #125 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 1:42am

I've been typing away on Chapter 3. It's up to 35 pages now. I don't know if I'll be able to add another 5 - 6 pages to it but I'm beginning to run out of words at the moment so I can't say for sure. I get fresh inspiration and who knows? Smiley I probably should spend some time on the dishes. I won't be starting dinner until about midnight but getting the kitchen in order before then is probably a good idea. [Ah, yeah Penth. It helps to be able to find the kitchen counter before you start cooking!] When I'm writing, I SO need a cook....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #126 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:02am

Chapter 3 is nearly up to 38 pages and I'm going to head out. Skywise is home and I'm beat.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #127 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Morning. Nasty weather's gonna be moving in this afternoon. That delightful combo known as "Wintery Mix" not to be confused with Chex Mix or any other such mix!
Skywise has the early shift today so he might be driving in it on the way up and definitely on the way back. Poop!
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #128 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Skywise left for work about 35 minutes ago and so far the weather here isn't doing much. I suspect that isn't the case farther north but it shouldn't be too bad yet. I just want him to get home okay tonight.
I'm doing laundry, dishes and writing this afternoon in the hope of keeping my mind off of the weather...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #129 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:53pm

The rewrite on Chapter 3 is going well. I'm wrestling with a fealty oath scene at the moment, expanding something that was already there. Once it's done, I'll have 39 pages in the chapter and I think that will be it unless I get a brainstorm. That will just leave Chapter 6 to finish up. Once it's done, I'll go over the rest of them, slowly, and see what needs to be done. The laundry is going well too. Still need to get on the dishes but I can write while doing the laundry. It's hard to wash dishes and type at the same time!

Still no sign of foul weather and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays cold enough so that all the precipitation that we get is snow and none of that freezing rain nonsense!
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:05pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #130 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 1:24am

Chapter 3 version 2.0 is finished. It came it at 39 pages so I'm pleased. I'm working on Chapter 6 now and I expect to finish with it in an hour or so. This is good 'cause I'm going to need to make dinner soon and put away the three loads on laundry that are on the bed! Tomorrow is going to be spent baking, pies for Skywise to take to work on Thursday and the first round of cookies for us.  Spirit wants chocolate chip and scotch shortbread. I have a hankering for my "to die for" chocolate brownies. So the flour is likely to fly tomorrow but I'll have a chapter on the desktop so I can work on it while things bake. I'm not anticipating having to do anything really major with the latter chapters although something might come up. We'll see what my editors say...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #131 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 6:35am

Chapter 6 is done and I'm going over Chapter 7. I've also made a "cover" for the book. No art but the text is pretty.
Skywise is finally home -- overtime -- and I'm heading out. My eyes are tired and so is the rest of me.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #132 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 6:51pm

It's been a lazy day so far. Everything is coated with a thin layer of ice so we decided to stay in today. The temperature is expected to go above freezing overnight so we'll do our "stuff" tomorrow. Skywise is already on his way to work. We're both hoping that INDoT has gotten the highways treated. We don't have THAT much ice and it IS in the afternoon and it HAS stopped freezing raining so they SHOULD be on it!
I thought of something else that needed to go into Book One. I'm putting it in chapter 9 and a paragraph can handle it. It was something that was mentioned as "coming up" that never happened in the original thread but it should be taken care of in the novel so I'm taking care of it right now. Just need to decide how long the paragraph should be.
I've also "crunched some numbers" and I have a pretty good idea of the population of the castle's home planet so I'm hoping to be able to put that information up soon. Probably when I'm done with the second draft.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #133 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:35am

Well, the apple pie is out of the oven, the pumpkin pie is in the oven -- but not for much longer, and the shortbread cookie dough is in the refrigerator. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll make dinner before I start baking the cookies. Otherwise, we might be eating at midnight and I'd rather not do that! I'm going over Chapter 9 while I'm waiting for the pumpkin pie to come out of the oven. I may have a tiny "timeline" glitch to fix, don't know yet. I'll have to check it out but NOT before the pie is out of the oven!
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:45am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 5:53am

Skywise is home. The last sheet (for tonight) of cookies has just come out of the oven. I bushed! I'm gonna grab a cookie or three and head out!

Everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2008 at 5:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Afternoon! We ran into town this morning and then went down to Floral Gulch for lunch.  Spirit had her favorite chicken and Moonie had a sub so all is good.
We are expecting some [more] light freezing rain tonight [Oh joy!] and I'm going to have to haul the 25 gallon water tank down from the Guest House and fill it so that if the power goes out, I'll have water available to wash dishes, hands and to prepare food. One of the things near the top of our "Get before retirement" list is a good sized backup generator 'cause I also want a freezer so we can store meat in bulk and before I do THAT I want to be sure that I won't lose a freezer full of meat if the power goes out!
I'm working on chapter 9 now, doing a bit of tweaking. Barring power failure, I'll be through the whole thing by tomorrow night. Then I'll be done writing on it until I get some feedback from BR and her editor friend. I'll still be busy though. I've realized that I'm going to have to write a paper on the castle world's most unusual characteristics. I also need to finish my blog entry on ascension...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #136 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:09am

According to the radar, we have freezing rain but Spirit just came in and says, no rain yet. I'm working on Chapter 11 right now. I should get it done tonight, barring power outages or some other distraction. And since I SHOULD bake the shortbread tonight, I probably won't get it done until tomorrow. I want to take my time with 11. I think that it is my favorite chapter in Book One. Hopefully, I can tweak it a bit and make it even better....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:17am

The first sheet of shortbread is in out of the oven and the second one is in. Once it's out, I'll turn up the heat to pre-heat the oven for the pizzas. The freezing rain/sleet has finally started to reach the ground. There is rain behind it according to the radar. I hope road conditions are decent for when Skywise is driving home [ETA: midnight]. Gonna be a long three hours. Fortunately two of them will be taken up with pizza making. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #138 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 5:26am

Just stuck my head outside. Ice on everything. Gonna be a nerve wracking hour plus for me until Skywise gets home.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #139 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 6:26am

Skywise is home. He wasn't too late. I'm heading out.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #140 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 5:08pm

Afternoon! It is windy as hell here today!  Last night's temp when we went to bed was around 32 degrees and it was pouring liquid rain. Now, about 10 and a half hours later, it's around 20 degrees warmer! The weather is really weird....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #141 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 8:49pm

The wind is still howling, it's cloudy again and the temperature has started dropping back down. It's supposed to be "seasonal" again by morning and cold, if not snowy by Christmas. We plan to celebrate Yule by going to the Children's Museum on Sunday. They've made the grand staircase into a slide, like they do every year, and Spirit wants to do down it with her dad. We'll likely eat lunch there too, hit the girls' favorite exhibits and generally "veg" a bit.
I've finished going over Chapter 12 and have 13 up on the desktop. I may take a break for a while. My eyes are getting tired.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #142 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:15am

The second draft is finished. Or at least, it is as finished as it's gonna get until BR and her editor friend can get back to me with feedback. All fourteen chapters/650 pages are going out in an email as I type which is taking a while on dial-up let me tell you! It's gonna feel weird to not work on it every day. I've been working on the original, the reposts, the first draft and now the second draft pretty much continuously since late '05.  I'm not going to know what to do with myself tomorrow. At some point soon, I'm going to print it all out, put it in a loose leaf binder and read the whole thing to find the things I've missed in proofing. I've also got to start my market research although the way things have been going with the book, something could just drop into my lap.
Anyway, to those who believed in the book and me when it was an idea being tossed around in PMs. Smiley We're in the home stretch. The thing is pretty much written and most books don't make it this far. And for the rest who believed I'd fail or hoped I would or prayed I would.....  Smiley
I'll save the serious "razz" for when it goes on sale..... 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:39am

Heading out. Tired, happy writerperson.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #144 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 1:06am

Evening. I've been taking the day off from writing today although I did write a piece for my MySpace blog since it had been a while since I'd done that. I'm needing to get out of the habit of pulling out the novel every time I sit down in front of the computer. Those days will come back when I start on Book 2 [Note to self: Gotta have a title!] but for the moment I'm at loose ends writing wise although I do have a few small things that need writing, some of them Castle related. I'll probably be spending more time on my dancing -- I'm starting to get the hang of the more challenging moves. Coordination was NEVER my strong suit! --  as well as taking care of some "stuff" that I've let slide these last six months or so while I pounded out the book. [I bought two 22 count boxes of heavy duty contractor's trash bags today if that tells you anything... ahem... Roll Eyes ] I'm probably going to add some sort of strength training to my workouts now that I have the time since, while belly dancing does a lot of things for you, it doesn't build physical strength.
Right now, I need to use strong language on the chicken that Spirit wants for dinner. It is still wanting to be frozen....
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #145 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 4:35am

Oh dear!
Moonie is of the opinion that my belly dancing would be a perfect subject for her YouTube creativity. I am not of a similar opinion. At least, not yet! But knowing how my Firstborn can be once she gets an idea in her head -- combine autism's single-mindedness and Taurean stubborness and you're facing a force of nature -- I'm having to start thinking about music, choreography and set design in addition to "which direction are my hips supposed to be heading now?" At least I have a costume finished! There are a couple of spots up at the Guest House that could be converted into a "set" and the ceilings are high enough there that we could get creative with canopies and such. Things to distract me from the fact that I'm NOT writing! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #146 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 8:23pm

HAPPY [FRIGID] YULE!!
It's colder than a polar bear's toe nails here today. The wind is steady at about 25 miles per hour, the temperature is 10 degrees F. with the windchill somewhere around 13 below. The middle of last week, it was springlike.
To add insult to injury, we went to the Children's Museum today and I grabbed my Dutch Police Coat that I've been wearing all week instead of my L.L.Bean
BLIZZARD WARNING coat or my BLIZZARD WARNING WITH WIND CHILL FROM HELL!!!!! coat. Then when I got out to the car, I discovered that my gloves were NOT in my coat pocket or in my purse. At that point, Moonie piped up to remind me that I'd dropped my gloves into the bag from Border's yesterday and they were likely still there. Grr...... Fortunately, Skywise had an extra pair of gloves in the car so he gave me the ones he'd had on so I could thaw my fingers. *sigh* I will get out a heavy coat for tomorrow's trip into town and make SURE that I have a pair of gloves with me!!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #147 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 6:53am

And I heard him exclaim ere he drove out of sight..

"Joyous Yuletide to all and to all a good night!"

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #148 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 4:20pm

Good [frigid] morning! It's still colder than a polar bear's toenails here but at least that damned wind has STOPPED blowing! (High, sustained winds put my nerves on edge, especially at night. I could never live in S. California. The Santa Ana winds would drive me insane!) Anyway, it's cold, 7 degrees in Indianapolis and the local weather says that it is 3 in town. We're getting ready to go into town. Bundling up is the order of the day!
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #149 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 7:39pm

We're back from town. It wasn't TOO bad since there was no wind, unlike yesterday which threatened to blow everything into a neighboring state! I got a ream of printer paper, a binder and dividers (to separate the manuscript into chapters to make proofing easier) so I'm all set to print out my manuscript. All that remains is to put a new ink cartridge in the printer I want to use and, of course, chase Moonie off of the computer said printer is attached to so I do the print run! I plan to spend at least some of Christmas Day reading my book...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41
Send TopicPrint