Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' VI: Dawn of the Living Posts! (Read 27118 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' VI: Dawn of the Living Posts!
Reply #200 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 7:38pm

Hmmm..... Lows next week are expected to be in the mid to low 50's until mid week and then go up to the mid to high 60s. It's the middle of July.
Explain to me again how this "global warming" thing is supposed to work? Smiley Oh well, at least we won't be running the A/C so much.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009 at 7:40pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #201 - Jul 17th, 2009 at 9:53pm

Okay...... According to the BBC, buzzards are making unprovoked attacks on people -- cyclists and joggers. Just swooping down out of the sky with talons out and ripping up their heads!
The world is getting weirder by the day....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #202 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 1:18am

Just read on the BBC about Walter Cronkite's passing. So many crossing over right now...

Rest in peace, "Uncle Walter."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8157052.stm

Edited to add link.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:08am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #203 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 2:54am

Scheming with Nike on YaHoo.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #204 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 4:15am

Plotting is done and I'm heading out.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #205 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 1:13am

Since I dipped the ends of my fingers into hot Crisco (Note to self: DON'T DO THAT!) I've been reading a belly dance website instead of typing. The subject is underwear and the author makes it VERY plain why proper "unmentionables" are important with many humiliating (for the dancer) examples of what can go wrong.  My hunch about what I need turns out to be correct so I'm "on the hunt" now. I may just make what I need if I can find or adapt a pattern.
I've also been showing Moonie how to shimmy. She hasn't quite got it yet -- she keeps throwing her hips from side to side but she's getting there. The fingers are feeling better -- just a little tingly -- so I may work on my dance glossary a bit more while dinner cooks.
Later.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2009 at 1:52am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #206 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 4:40am

Well, I got a little work done but I've been yakking with Nike most of this evening. We're incorrigible!
Think I'll be heading out now. Iz a tired little writerperson.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #207 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 2:53pm

*Yawn. grumble, grumble.* Morning.
I was tired last night but sleep was elusive until about 4 am. And I kept waking up through the night, melatonin not withstanding. Very groggy this morning. If I wasn't hungry, I'll still be in bed. Maybe some tea will get my heart started.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #208 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Life got hectic for a while there. Skywise got stung by a bumblebee. The man was minding his own business but apparently the bee thought otherwise. Fortunately, it wasn't a yellowjacket but still, I was standing by in case calling 911 was necessary. After about half an hour, I started to breathe again.
Once that potential crisis was past, I settled down to wrest some sense from one of the dance moves that I simply have NOT been able to get. I finally got the somewhat less than intuitive controls on the comp's dvd player figured out and spent about ninety minutes watching the same section of the dvd over and over while making notes. The instructor's instructions left a bit to be desired, probably because English isn't her native language. She was saying "Twist your hip forward" when what she was doing was pivoting on the ball of her foot to bring the hip into the desired position and saying "Forward" when she intended for you to shift your weight from your "back" leg to the "front" one. She's a beautiful dancer and an inspired choreographer but I really think that she needs a voice over narrator or closed captioning on her dvds. Anyway, I finally have the difficult move broken down so I think I'll be able to get it, with a ton of practice and another move that isn't nearly so complicated added to my glossary. Now I have another puzzle since a simple step that she calls by one name bears NO resemblance whatsoever to the step that all my other sources use that name for. *sigh* I'll figure it out later. Right now, I deserve a break!
Later.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2009 at 6:28pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #209 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 9:49pm

Moonie is sorting through her best "critter" artwork to find illustrations for the Samgaran Beastiary. She tends to favor things with large teeth and claws so the Southern Continent is going to be well represented. There are some animals on Samgara that are familiar, like cats, dogs and horses as well as various forms of livestock, but we're going to need to make it plain that Samgara is not and never has been dear old Earth. I've also uncovered some design elements that I need to create some of the identification logos/patches for the novels. Yes, when you write certain kinds of science fiction and any kind of fantasy, you about have to write your own "reference books" for your own use if nothing else.  Which is why I'll be making maps later...  
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #210 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:42am

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #211 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 3:05am

Nike and I are discussing Greek mythology on YaHoo.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #212 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:16am

Well, Nike and I have settled the fate of humanity and generally bemoaned the lack of familiarity with Greek mythology typical of the hacks who are currently writing stories/screenplays using the Olympic pantheon as characters in their works. WOULD IT KILL THOSE KNUCKLEHEADS TO DO A LITTLE BASIC RESEARCH??
Sorry, sore spot. Anyway, having done so I'm heading out. As previously mentioned, I didn't sleep all that well last night so I'm going to hit the sheets early tonight and see if I can get caught up.

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 2:58pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #213 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:47pm

Afternoon!
It's finally calm enough for me to post!
Things were going along quietly, I was in the middle of paying some bills when Skywise and Spirit walk into the house and announce that we're making a quick trip into town. This was at 11 with his scheduled departure time at 1:30. Fortunately, all I had to do was tie my hair back and shut down the comp!
Anyway, town was gone to and we now have sufficient amounts of bread, butter and milk. I swung by the fabric department in Wal-Mart and secured two necessary pieces of information and then hit the home decorating department for more info. I think I'm going to be making a mirror. It will be relatively expensive when compared to a ready-made mirror but it will be the size I need. All I need to do is figure out what I need in the way of materials and how to hang the darn thing in my unfinished basement! I've got an idea about that too. I'll just need to "consider" things Smiley before I start drilling holes and/or pounding nails. Need to get an idea about how heavy the finished project is going to be too.
Right now, I got "housewife" stuff to do. Be back later.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:49pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #214 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:31pm

Ah... back. Things finally got settled down. Worked some on my dance glossary -- which looks like it's gonna hit 30 pages by the time I'm done with it -- and fiddled with the printer. Skywise was having trouble with it yesterday -- couldn't get it to work no matter what he tried.  So I went down this afternoon to see if I could do anything with it. I picked out a random word doc and tried to print it so I could start poking around in the printer's electronic guts. Lo and behold, it printed! Perfectly. I tried again with another page I had on the desk top, and again with something I put together right then. I turned it off and on again and it worked perfectly every time. I don't know WHAT got into it yesterday. [Enemy gremlins maybe!] Anyway, Skywise will be able to print his stuff after he gets home tonight.
I need to wash a few more dishes.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #215 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 4:47am

Except for one "descent" that I'll have to get from a DVD, the "Floor Work" section of my glossary - which is up to 24 pages -- is done! I'm not gonna start on that tonight so I'm going to pack it in.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #216 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 4:43pm

Afternoon!
It's 'break time'. I've been proofing this morning. Skywise isn't leaving until 3 so I have a bit of time yet before I need to pack his food. It's going to be a late night tonight so I should be able to get a lot done.
I went to various pattern company sites and picked out a few patterns for the DarkPrincess. I still have to settle on one and that will be hard. Still, I have a few to chose from and that's good. Much better chance of finding exactly what I need for what I have in mind.
Time to refill my tea and get back to proofing. These errors aren't going to mark themselves!
Later!   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #217 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 11:47pm

Just got in from my walk. I did nearly an hour -- as in 57 minutes and some seconds -- and I'm doing pretty good. If the weather stays reasonable as in not infernally hot and humid, I should be able to keep to this routine until winter when I DO expect the weather to be foul. I'm hoping by then to have some other option to replace the walking until spring rolls in again.
Gotta hit the kitchen and get a couple of things done. 
Later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #218 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 2:11am

Nike's on YaHoo.
Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #219 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 5:39am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out. Sleepy writerperson here.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #220 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 5:13pm

Afternoon.
It has been raining like hell all morning so naturally, we had to go to Floral Gulch today. *sigh* I am a soggy little writerperson as you might imagine. I'm going to go dry off.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #221 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 5:30pm

Just got the email informing me of the scheduled server upgrade to take place over the next 72 hours. Hopefully, the site will remain accessible during that time and the potential for me losing my mind will be vastly reduced.

The body is not particularly happy about yesterday's walk. There is aspirin in my immediate future.
Later.

Post # 13,600

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #222 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 1:06am

Took aspirin. Body better.
Thought I was nearly done with my belly dance glossary but then I found more moves that need to be added to it. Once it is finished it will guarantee that any belly dance descriptions I write will be varied but compiling the list is a pain. I had to go "google" to find a description of one move that made sense!

Talking to Nike on YaHoo.  It's good that we can touch base almost every night instead of every few months by phone with letters in between. A lot of problems would be nipped in the bud if people would just TALK! Keeping a problem to yourself is no way to solve it.
End of sermon.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #223 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 5:11am

Nike's off to bed, dinner is almost done and my glossary is shaping up nicely. Of the three books and ten dvds I'm consulting for this particular project, I have only four of the dvds left. Yay me!! Three of those I'll just be checking for any moves that the all the other stuff didn't cover and it doesn't seem likely that will be the case. With luck, I'll get through the one I'm working on now tomorrow and be done with the whole thing by the end of the weekend. Current page count: 29 Smiley

Still proofreading Book One. I'm taking it slow to give myself the best chance to catch the typos.  I'm going to do all the corrections at once -- I'm pulling out the pages that need correcting since they are all numbered. -- and print them out. Then I'll be all set to start assembling "packages."
Should be nerve-wracking, exciting, but nerve-wracking.
Time to work on the food.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #224 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 6:00am

Penthesilea wrote on Jun 28th, 2009 at 4:07pm:
I'm indulging in a combination smirk and giggle. I just found out that the local Rural Water Company issued a "boil order" a couple of days ago to last "until further notice." This amuses me greatly and I'm laughing every time I turn on the tap today.
Background: About twenty years ago, some "city people" bought undeveloped land out here only to discover after the deal was done, that said real estate didn't have water on it. Or if it did, it wasn't enough for their needs. Not willing to undertake the kind of measures that people living in parts of rural Brown County have to do (which is build large ponds or cisterns with water purification systems) these knuckleheads decided that they wanted "city water" in the country. After much huffing and puffing, they managed to form a "water utility" with all the powers thereof, raised money, invoked "imminent domain" and proceeded to build a water storage tower down the road from here (I can see it from the Guest House front yard. Damned thing looks like something out of a 50's "Aliens Invade!" B-movie), tore up part of our yard to put in their waterlines and started to pressure everyone along the line -- including my mother and us -- to sign up. As I pointed out to one particularly obnoxious individual, why should I sign up to pay for water when I have two already paid for wells, one for each house? The only expenses I incur in getting my running water is the cost of the electricity to run the pumps. The lout had no answer for that particular question.
To make a long story short. The "water company" for which the founders had such high and unrealistic hopes went bankrupt and the Indianapolis Water Company, from which the local outfit was buying water, took it over and immediately raised the rates. [Yeah, I laughed about that whole thing too!] The rates have been inching upward ever since and "boil orders" are no surprise. The only thing surprising about this one is that it seems "open ended" and I've yet to be able to track down the reason for the order.
The moral of the story is, if you want "city conveniences", live in the damned city. Don't come out into the woods and expect to live like you would in suburbia.
End of rant...  

Remember this? Well, Skywise got home a few minutes ago and asked about it. I said "yeah, there was a boil order issued." 
"That explains it," he said. Seems when he got out of the car, he heard something odd so he investigated. Turns out that there is a hose attached to the fire hydrant across the road and it is opened wide. Apparently, the system is being thoroughly and completely flushed. Yeah, laughing here. They obviously still haven't fixed the problem and the whole system, including presumably that monster tank down the road, is being drained.

Time for me to head out. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
Send TopicPrint