Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' X: War of the Posts!! (Read 37540 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

What's Happenin' X: War of the Posts!!
May 2nd, 2011 at 1:53am

Well, time to start a new thread! So here we go!!

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Re: What's Happenin' X: War of the Posts!!
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2011 at 1:58am

Good grief, did we do 400 posts in that thread already??? Dang we're GOOD!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2011 at 2:27am

Amber is taking a bath and being very NOISY...

Why can't any of these three be quiet when they are cleaning themselves??? It's GROSS!! Shocked

*GAGS*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2011 at 2:46am

Actually, we did 1,000 posts on the old thread, plus the original post.
Yeah, last night the War Queen was doing her grooming in the dark on my pillow, right above my head.
Then she went to sleep and snored. LOUDLY.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2011 at 2:57am

1000 posts? Wow, we really did do a lot of talking in that last thread didn't we???  Smiley

EEEWWWWWW... I think I would have gagged if one of our cats did their grooming right on my pillow/on my head!! Shocked I could probably handle the snoring (Birdie was NOTORIOUS for snoring very loudly!) but not the grooming... *BLECH!!*

Worst of Amber's grooming was that she moved it right behind me on the stairs... BLECH!! I swear these three furballs are trying to gross me out when they are not trying to kill me... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:24am

The cats would have to go some to gross me out. I've had cats since I was three years old.

Ben Laden is dead. Thank all the Gods! May he be judged as he deserves.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:34am

Around babies and younger people, I have a VERY strong stomach... Although my son DID gross me out several times over the years!! Around cats and dogs, I have a VERY weak stomach even though I'm the main one to clean up the cat barf around here... I literally have to hold my breath and wear plastic bags on my hands so I really don't feel it very well!! BLECH!!

Yeah, I see that, it's on the Canadian news right now. Odd how it was announced the day before our Federal Election... *scratching head*

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:43am

My family has had furballs since I was a baby, Mittiff was the first one I remember and I was three when he passed. (Don't ask about the name, Daddy always gave cats odd names!!) I still get grossed out by cat spew though, Angel and Noelle's STINK to high heaven... *GAGGING*

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:57am

I'm waiting to see what our current PM Stephen Harper has to say about Bin Laden's death... He's still preparing his speech at the moment though.

Crap, guess it'll be later on... If it's not on within a few minutes, I won't be able to stay up and watch it, it's almost 1 a.m. here and my son has school in the morning. 6 a.m. comes VERY early...

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:07am

Much as I want to hear our Prime Minister speak about Bin Laden's death and his support for our American brothers and sisters, I think it's best if I toddle off to bed. I'm getting sleepy and it's after 1 a.m. now...

Have a great night!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:12am

Nite, hon. And don't worry, whatever he says will be repeated endlessly over the coming days and the text will be all over the web and the newspapers.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2011 at 5:17am

Ben Laden is dead. This is a good thing and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm glad that the bastard has finally paid for his crimes and faces a harsher judge than any mortal one. In celebration, I'm going to indulge in ice cream and then head for bed.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2011 at 12:17pm

Morning!!

I'm so glad that Bin Laden has finally stopped being a threat to the US and other nations... He was a true terrorist and deserved to die for his crimes.

Agreed, his god WILL pass a much harsher judgement on him for his crimes than any human/mortal court could.

I'm just glad that none of the soldiers in the operation to get him were hurt or killed. That is considered the best news of the day other than BL is GONE.

Okay, on to less eye catching news:

Today is yet another election day here in Canada. Seems we're having one almost every six months to a year if we have a minority government in.

I've already put my 2 cents in and polls close out here around 8 my time but we won't find out just who will be Prime Minister until about 1 a.m. or so Atlantic Time... Polls out in British Columbia and The Yukon do not close until midnight my time, or 8 p.m. Pacific. I THINK. If I'm wrong, I'll post the correct times!!

Now I'm going to pop into FB and other spots to remind my fellow Canucks to toss in their two cents... Rock the vote and all that stuff. Wink

Good luck to all the candidates for seats and the leaders of each of our parties. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2011 at 2:47pm

Morning!
Yeah, it's a good day even if it IS still raining *WAIL*
I have the full text of President Obama's speech from the BBC on another tab. I'll post the link shortly. It deserves its own thread I think. But before I do that, I really need some caffeine!

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:10pm

BBC: Awesome network. We don't get it here but we do see a lot of their reports on the Canadian networks. Smiley Yeah, it deserves its own thread, it's big news!!

Regarding the big news close to home, today's federal election here in Canada... I don't mind Stephen Harper, who is up for re-election as PM... I admit he hasn't done much but he hasn't pulled off a lot of crap like PMs we've had in the past. Brian Mulrooney REALLY messed up the country and I was SO GLAD to see him resign... I pitied poor Kim Campbell who took over for the few months after he left until the next election, that poor woman never had a chance of being re-elected in as PM!! Sad

So many people are wanting the NDP to get in... I'm not, especially after they went and literally *messed up* the education system here in Nova Scotia.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley They cut about 90% of the funding for ASD kids in the education system and since my son has ASD, you KNOW that didn't go over well with me!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I REFUSE to vote NDP and people can't understand it even after I explained why....

Gods, I hope that useless piece of  Smiley Jack Layton does NOT get in (he's the NDP leader). If he does, you may as well say GOOD BYE CANADA because he'll either tax us to death while cutting back on EVERYTHING or blow up the freaking country...  Smiley

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #15 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:28pm

Here we go again with the Siamese furball opera... "MerROWR" seems to be the song of the day... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:38pm

She is just trying to take your mind off of politics! We're having primary elections here tomorrow, I believe, but I won't be voting since there aren't any primaries being held in this township. Martinsville (the county seat), however, is a thicket of election signs! I think some of the minor offices will be decided tomorrow. The main elections will be held in November. No state or federal offices are up this year so it's pretty quiet.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #17 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:08pm

Knowing Miss Garbage Guts, anything's possible...  Smiley I've also had to chase Ambers off of the printer countless times, got hooked by Noelle a few times today while at the computer, tripped over all of them at some points during the day and even got grossed out by two of them again... In other words a typical day at my house!!  Smiley

Yeah, y'all have your federal elections every four years, right? Next one in 2012?

Up here we can have an election at any time, especially if we get a minority government in, like it has been the last 3 or 4 times. All it takes is the opposition vetoing ONE thing during a minority government term and BAM, we go to the polls again. Elections can be called at any time even with a majority government but one has to be held at least once every 5 years. It's confusing but we don't know any other way. Yeah, sometimes things are ODD up here...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:25pm

Yeah, the next Presidential election is in 2012. We normally have federal elections every two years. The President serves a four year term and can only serve two terms. A Senator (federal level) serves a six year term with no limit of the number of terms served. A Representative (federal level) serves a two year term with no limit on the number of terms served. This means that SOMEBODY is running for something all the time. Smiley But the dates of the elections are set so there is no calling for a new election whenever someone gets theirs shorts in a bunch about something. Otherwise, given the nature of American politics, we'd probably be having an election every other week!

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:43pm

I bet a lot of people up here would like to see us have an election for PM once every 4 years... It's getting very annoying to be going to the polls every single time the opposition vetoes something with a minority government!!

Up here, one can run and serve as many terms as they wish for PM and Premiere (our version of the Governor) and for all of the seats. Our current Member of Parliament, Gerald Keddy, has held the seat for something like 15 or 16 years now. He's a Conservative, which is the incumbent party in office at the moment. We'll see if they get back in or not later tonight!! Our area, South Shore-Saint Margaret's, has been a Conservative stronghold for years. There is only once that I can remember not having a Conservative PM since I've been of age to vote, and that guy was a Liberal, he was Minister of Veteran Affairs for a while, and was voted out and Gerald Keddy was brought in then. I can't remember his name for the life of me, that's how little I paid attention to him!!  Smiley

The longest time any PM has served is by William Lyon Mackenzie King, who served over 21 years from 1921-1930 and from 1935 to 1948. Jean Cretien served for 10 years from 1993 to 2003 and our current PM has been in office for 5 years now, since 2006.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2011 at 5:00pm

I just beat my sister's all time high score in Word Search on Facebook... She's going to be MAD!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2011 at 5:23pm

After Delano Roosevelt was elected to a fourth term (near the end of WW II) and died in office, it was decided that 8 years total was long enough for anyone to be President. Term limits for all federal offices should have been put in the Constitution to begin with but I doubt that the Founding Fathers ever dreamed that there would be people who would make lifetime careers out of being Congresspersons and Senators!
Yeah, I'm afraid I'd lose patience with having elections at the drop of a veto. Before I just stopped watching television, I wore out the "mute" button on the remote every time we had a presidential election 'cause between the political ads for the presidential candidates, the senators and congresspersons that were up for election then and the state and local offices that were on the ballot, I just about lost my mind! Since I've given up watching television for the most part the remotes last MUCH longer.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2011 at 5:46pm

I don't like commercials at all, so I'm constantly using the mute button when watching TV...

There is no law up here saying that there's a limit on how long one can serve as PM, Premiere, etc. Sometimes people wish there had been, that way people like Brian Mulrooney wouldn't have been able to serve for 8 full years...

Our Senatorial system is different... We don't vote our Senators in, they are assigned by the Prime Minister. Up here, once one is in the Senate, they can remain in the Senate until 1) they hit the age of 75 which is the madatory retirement age or b) they die. I think they can retire at any time up until they hit 75 years old though. A lot of people don't like it because so many of our Senators were NOT chosen by the people like the rest of our governing bodies are. Most of our current Senate is composed of former provincial Premieres and members of each provinces' Legislative Assembly who were going to be voted out of office not long before they became Senators... They were of the same party that was in Ottawa at the time they retired. It's a mix of Liberals and Conservatives and they don't do anything much in my opinion.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2011 at 6:11pm

The Founding Fathers were big on elections so while the President appoints his cabinet and nominates federal and Supreme Court judges, those appointments have to be approved by Congress so the people's representatives still have a say in the matter. It's usually a pretty straightforward process but with Supreme Court Justices, it can be a long, complicated and contentious process since Justices serve for life or until they retire.

IP Logged

Silver Lightening
God Member

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm

That's the way it should be up here... Our representatives should at least have a say in whoever is appointed into our Senate... But for some reason, that never became law up here. Probably because the politicians wanted to have an option of still being in politics even though they know they will never get voted in again and the people despise them.

We are about 4 to 5 hours away from the polls closing here in Nova Scotia and the rest of Atlantic Canada. I'll probably be glued to the TV watching things as the counts come in every hour or so. Not sure if I'll be online or not, depends on how I'm feeling and how late I want to stay up.

My prediction: Conservative MINORITY again. Stephen Harper is not popular enough to get a majority government but he's more popular than the other PM candidates. I don't think the Bloc Quebecois (they are only in Quebec) will get many seats this time around...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40
Send TopicPrint