Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Veridian's Writings: The Shorter Stories, Part One (Read 6940 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Veridian's Writings: The Shorter Stories, Part One
Jan 12th, 2014 at 9:24pm

Okay, since the first two threads were about the "Legacies" series, I decided to close the second one as well, and start a new thread in regards to the simpler, shorter stories I hope to write in my genre.

Most publishers prefer stories at 100K words or under for a story. Both books in the "Legacies" series were over 200K. Book 1 topped the scales at 207K (thereabouts) and Book 2 is over 250K.

Yeah, WAY too long for an unestablished author, and not what a lot of publishers are looking for unless they don't mind "EPICS" like I seem to have written.

This thread will focus on my attempt(s) to write shorter, more mainstream romance novels, and to get away from writing epics. I do have a couple of ideas bouncing around in the dusty old brain, but one will turn into an epic quite quickly, so I'll be focusing on the more simpler, less thrilling one for now. It's the idea I got the other day, one a few people know what it's about. It's along an idea that another aspiring author friend shot at me, and it would work in soooooooooooo many genres out there, from sci-fi to horror and suspense, to a general romance like the one I hope to get into writing very soon. I thank him for that, and like Penth, Tabby, RT and a few trusted others, will be kept up to date on its progress, IF I have any at all.

I would love to have this one or another one suck me in as much as the "Legacies" series has for the last few years... I do miss writing and am getting frustrated with myself for not being able to write more than a page at a time or even figure out what way to go with any of the newest ideas... *SIGH* Maybe I'll get lucky and hit paydirt with an idea soon, I am going nuts here............... Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: Veridian's Writings: The Shorter Stories, Part One
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:05am

New story officially started. I don't know if anything at all will come out of it, but I'm darn well going to do my best to get this one or another one going!

Untitled 10's folder is on the desktop now, its main file has been started and at the moment it is at 415 words, less than a page long. Not bad for only 10 to 15 minutes worth of writing, even with brain short circuiting! Cheesy

I have NO CLUE how this one is going to play out at all, or even what the female lead's name in it will be for that matter, but hopefully it will become something I can submit to a publisher in time... After I hone the writing skills to the max, get a couple of more beta readers for help, and try to keep things VERY simple in this one.

You know, I think after I wrote RH's original story, I kind of went to the extreme in writing longer stuff, so that's why my first two books turned out to be such epics, over twice the amount most publishers want for a book, notably from an UNKNOWN author.

I HAVE to find the right balance between epics and stories that are too short for regular novel length. Maybe this one will turn out to be "the one", maybe not, but dang it, I won't know until I TRY!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 10:16pm

Prologue foundation DONE, first name chosen for female lead, last name for male lead chosen and Chapter one started...

That old feeling of TRANSITION MODE has started................ WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 11:10pm

LOL Yep, you're back in the saddle!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 5:16pm

Like I said in the "Post Before Christmas" thread (Current what's happening), I didn't get a lot of actual writing done today because I was working on other stuff related to it. This story is now dubbed "Ten", for "Untitled 10" and for my favorite incarnation of The Doctor.

Today, I spent the morning setting up or starting:

- Character names, descriptions and backgrounds file started. This includes some "supporting" characters as well as the two leads.

- Scene ideas file was started, with a humorous one.

- Changed around the main manuscript file itself to start off with the "hook" instead of something boring and mundane.

- Chapter One started, but that is subject to change and to be compressed.

- A "Removed from Ten" file to keep anything I had written that I removed from it for future reference.

- A rough timeline/outline of events from before the story opens to the grand finale and ending.  As of today's date, it's pretty much DONE.

Smiley Smiley

I do have a little time to write today, but where it's short due to me getting everything else set up so I know where I'm going with this one, I don't want to get into it and have to stop in about an hour for bus time. I have writing time coming up on two days next week so I'll try to get more written up on those days, and work on getting scene ideas, filling out the timeline/outline a little more and other things over the weekend so I'm ready to dive into it on Monday again.

I'm pleased even if I didn't get much done actual writing wise today. At least I know how things go from A to Z in this one, FINALLY. That wasn't very clear to me earlier this week, and what I did today was a LOT, and it's still progress in my mind! Cheesy

Yeah, this one is going to turn out a LOT more simple - and hopefully a LOT shorter - than my first two manuscripts! With a little luck, this one will be less than 100K, preferably around the 90K mark if I can do it JUST RIGHT!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 1:15pm

Today I'm attempting to see if I can get the "first meeting" over with in Chapter one... With a little luck, I'll get that out of the way and hopefully I'll be able to get back into the writing SOMEHOW...... I'd like to get this one going, and get back into a complete writing fog sometime soon.

Penth, I'm going to need reminders to stay ON TRACK with this one and NOT go off of on ten zillion tangents... So please, if I start rambling on about other ideas I should "toss in", feel free to slap me silly! Tongue

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 6:04pm

It wasn't the best writing day I've ever had, but it was still great considering I'm just starting to get into Ten...

2000 words, half of chapter one. First meeting over with, second face to face meeting done. Four scenes out of the way.

Brain mushy, transition mode in progress and I WANT TO KEEP GOING!!!!!

OY.  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 6:05pm

Okay only 500 words were added to the Main file, but I was working on something else.

I can't go into detail on what I wrote today because it's well... NOT in the PG realm, it's over 18 stuff. It's an idea I was thinking about and bounced off my best friend. She liked it and made a couple of suggestions to add to it. Her ideas worked and so I now have the foundation of the scene done in rough draft. It needs a lot of editing and fleshing out, but it's solid stuff. It'll be spliced in when I reach the right spot in the main file.

My eyes are KILLING me and everything is blurry... Plus the neuralgia is acting up, as is the stupid CTS. I'm going to take some aspirin and shove my head in the snow for a while... Blush and OWIES!!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 6:11pm

I got another page and a half written up, another foundation for another over 18 scene that needs to be fleshed out, etc. It took me a while to do because of that blasted cat. The instant I started to type, she would either start yowling and pouncing on stuff in the kitchen or knocking toys over in the living room. NOT HAPPY with the insane furball right now, and she KNOWS IT!! Smiley

The CTS is acting up big time and so is the eyestrain. Thankfully NO headache more than I have usually (thanks to the neuralgia) so I'm okay, better than I had hoped to be coming out of another transition.

NOW... If I could only get moving in the main manuscript file as easily as I've written up those last two over 18 scenes, I'd be a happier writer........... ARGH!!!!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 6:36pm

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

I was having problems moving on in the main file and today, I decided I was going to figure a few things out even if it killed me!!!  Smiley

I looked at what I had down for a second meeting between the two main characters and realized it wasn't going to work. I scrapped it and went with something else and then out of nowhere, an idea hit me on how they could keep running into each other. I went with it and well, I'm now moving forward in the main file again!

Chapter 1 was finished (rough draft) and I know exactly how Chapter 2 will start off and what's going to happen in it, FINALLY!!!  Smiley

Odd how I put the setting in a "certain" season, and well, it's going to work out pretty darn good if I can get it JUST SO.... Smiley

Transition mode in progress and it's a doozy today......................  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 3:50am

Another rewrite in store for Ten, Chapter One. Lost track of how many I've done so far. EW.

And another idea for another story came to me while I was trying to sleep. That's why I'm up and online now, so I could jot it down before I forgot it and so I could alert all of the people who are in my writing buddies crew that Untitled 11 MAY be in the works. Not sure if anything will come out of it or not but gods, it seems like it may be a good story even if it'll probably wind up being one I self publish in the future.

Hence the "SHOOT ME NOW" post in the current WH? thread................... Tongue

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 6:12pm

Fits and starts are the freaking PITS when writing!!!!!!!!  Smiley

Sorry about the boom, but I'm really frustrated with myself today. I tried working on the main file and getting over the bump in Chapter 2. Didn't work. Took a break to watch an episode of CSI on DVD and even the break didn't help much. Wound up working on a scene that happens later on in the story (something to be spliced in) and it took me FOUR HOURS to get only 1200 words added.

Hence the blue haze hanging over Nova Scotia and the booms y'all heard off in the distance...... GODS, I'm fit to bash the head against the wall now.... GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

STUPID BRAIN KEEPS BACKFIRING ON ME!!!!!!!!!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 5:24pm

Most of what was chapter one is now in the "Removed" file and I've figured out how to keep things compressed in that section. Hopefully what I'm doing doesn't make things too choppy but keeping it simple, moving forward with it faster and other things I've been learning over the last month or so should help. I had too many passive scenes in Chapter One and getting those out and more key scenes in is the priority... I have to keep the reader interested after all....

I've also had edits and the other work that has to be done to the Legacies series at the back of my mind so that's not helping me with Ten either. If I can just STOP thinking about those two manuscripts until AFTER I'm done writing Ten's first draft and getting that cleaned up to editors' standards, I'll be HAPPY...... *SIGH*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 6:14pm

Figured out WHY I couldn't get moving in the main file... Fixing part of it today, the rest will be cleaned up tomorrow when I'm unsupervised. Notes made in the original idea file on this date and what I have to do before I can get moving in the main file again....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 6:32pm

Things are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better in the main file now! I managed to finish cleaning it up and actually WROTE today! Cheesy

I got a lot added to Chapter 2, more than 2000 words! Cheesy Tired and feeling wonky, that transition mode is a doozy this time...........  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:05pm

And here we go again.....

It's official: I've set up a folder for Untitled 11. Yes, I'm BAD!!!

*DUCKS!!!!!!!!*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 3:43pm

Things are slowly becoming a tad clearer for Eleven, like working out a few kinks that were bothering me. I'm jotting things down in the initial ideas and notes file at the moment and hope to start a very rough timeline today if I can. I'm also trying to pick names for the leads and maybe a general physical description of at least one of them.

Hoping to get at least 500 words of new stuff added to Ten OR Eleven this week, or via a combination of both... *SIGH*

I'd really love for one of these two to encompass the mind like the Legacies series did when I was working on them. It's been over three months since I finished draft one of Family Portraits, so you'd think I'd be able to get going in ONE pretty much full time by now. Nope brain wants to keep "skipping"..... Roll Eyes

*Pretends to hang herself!*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 4:32pm

... And I just scratched something off this week's "TO DO" list in regards to the writing... come up with ONE scene idea for Eleven and I just did it! WOOT!!!!!!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 5:34pm

Another scene idea has been added!

BUT...

I'm having a hard time figuring out the timeline... Like what happens first in the years BEFORE the story opens.... DRAT. *SIGH*

I'll get it, it's just a matter of time. At least I'm making progress in the writing SOMEHOW this week so far..... It's keeping me from chomping on the monitor!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 7:27pm

Working on the ROUGH timeline for Eleven now................. Shocked

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:11am

Going with simplified version of Eleven. Can't continue to write the ultra complicated plots with a zillion twists if I want to learn to write the shorter, simpler stories!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:52am

Sitting here trying to figure out the right "hook" to draw the reader into Eleven. It's something I'm learning at the writing forums.... To suck the reader into the story right away, it's best to have the first sentence making them wonder what brought the characters to that point and continue reading.

I think I have it but I'm not fully sure. Thinking about it while I'm also figuring out names (even temp ones) for the leads....... I think I have the lead female's down but the male's... YIKES. *SIGH*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 5:44pm

LOTS of stuff happened while I was offline working on the writing!

Partial character profiles for the leads are started.
A few scene ideas were jotted down in the ideas file.
TWO over 18 scene ideas were jotted down in a PW protected file for them.

And best of all...

Chapter One has been started!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

I would have kept going but the next scene is going to be a longer one and with the bus coming in about half an hour, didn't want to be in the middle of it with a hyper 9 year old running around..... I'll get on with it tomorrow. Wink

I think I'm going to go walk into a wall now, very tired and am really woozy........  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 5:59pm

Word count for today: 1,021!!!

Keep in mind I was jumping between that, writing up character profiles, ideas for scenes and other stuff while I was writing................... Tongue

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #24 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 6:04pm

Today's word count: 1751!!!

I wrote up the scenes that happen after the debris clears from the initial blast. It's three scenes so far, shorter ones, and they'll be added to the main file pretty soon, after I get past the stupid speed bump of everyone's reaction to the "blast" itself....

Brain is MUSHY........... Hoping I'll be fit to drive tonight! OY.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint