Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) So much for being "perfectly healthy"... (Read 2016 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

So much for being "perfectly healthy"...
Oct 19th, 2019 at 2:49am
Print Post  
It's been a damned lousy week!
For decades, I've had pain in one or both knees and for the most part, it's been bearable, a nuisance, but bearable. About five years ago, it started to get worse but I soldiered on since getting off my feet for an hour or two and OTC painkillers were enough to provide relief. Then, about two and a half months ago, it started to get really bad so when Skywise's doctor closed his practice and turned his patients over to another doctor, I decided to bite the bullet and make an appointment for the 9th after Skywise had seen her and thought I'd like her. To make a long story short, after much poking, prodding and manipulation of my legs, she -- the doctor -- decided that I probably had some degree of arthritis. She sent me to X-ray for more manipulating of my legs under the X-ray machine. Then it was off to the lab for the standard round of blood tests. As soon as the results came back, (same day) the doctor's office called.
There was a problem with my glucose levels and I needed more testing.
On the 10th, more blood was drawn and... more waiting.
On the 14th, the call came. I saw the doctor the next day -- the 15th -- and she gave me the bad news. Not only did I have a pretty bad case of arthritis in both knees but my blood glucose test indicated full blown diabetes.
So much for her pronouncement (recorded elsewhere) that I was perfectly healthy.
Normally, with numbers like mine, insulin injections would be prescribed but we opted for oral medication first. I'm going to be going on a diet -- of course -- since I'm overweight (hard to work out when you can barely walk) and losing weight will help my knees and "could" help get my glucose levels down. My goal is to lose enough weight so that all I'll need to do is follow a diet like I did when I was pregnant with Moonie. I don't really know if that goal is realistic but that's what I'm shooting for. So next week, I see a dietitian to set up an "eating plan" -- things have changed a lot since Moonie was born -- for the diabetes and a physical therapist for my knees. The week after I'll have injections in both knees which hopefully will help with the pain. The doctor won't prescribe any pain meds until all the different injections have been tried and failed.  Smiley I've also had an EKG, a pneumonia shot and made an appointment for a mammogram in November. I'm also supposed to make an appointment with the eye doctor (which I needed to do anyway) because diabetes can affect your eyes. Everything was cool with my eyes when I had my cataract surgery so my fingers are crossed.

I allowed myself one day to be bummed. Then I went online and researched as well as getting a bunch of books from Amazon. I now have a stack of books and a bunch of OTC supplements that have shown some benefit in lowering glucose. That's where I am now. I haven't started on medication -- the doctor's office hasn't called in the prescription yet -- so I'm just trying to relax. Stress and pain can raise glucose levels and the Gods know I've had enough of both the last few years.

That's where things stand at the moment. I'm ready for some good news, I hope it comes soon.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: So much for being "perfectly healthy"...
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Today was a bad leg day-- still is truth to tell. I shouldn't complain, the last two days were pretty good. That's one of the bad things about arthritis, one day it's manageable without painkillers and the next day -- or the day after -- you're in agony.  Smiley <---- Expect to see this a lot.
I'm currently attempting to find one or more books on "insulin resistance" that doesn't involve pushing a diet. So far, no luck.
Since I still have more laundry and dishes in my future, I'm going to be taking painkillers pretty soon. I'm going to put it off as long as I can though. I need them to work as long as possible.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Just ordered two books that could be useful. They should arrive next week sometime, early I hope.

I'm currently having a salad so I can have something in my stomach to keep the painkiller company. I also have a couple of supplements I want to take (Cinnamon and Vitamin C) which have been shown to help regulate blood glucose. We'll see. I probably should see about getting a glucose meter. I'll have to contact the insurance company to see which ones they cover and relay that information to the doctor.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Still researching and I've found some interesting avenues to pursue. One thing leads to another. Other than cutting extraneous carbs, I'm not going to do anything until I talk to the dietitian on Thursday but I'm accumulating information at a breakneck pace. One result is that I'm going to set up a weight and blood pressure record for Skywise like I have for myself. If he starts eating like me -- once my diet starts -- he may be able to  come off his bp meds and we'll need to know if/when his bp drops too low.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Really bad knee day today.
Rain isn't helping any.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
We made a really quick run into town to eat. Skywise and I split a half pound roast beef sandwich was just the right size for both of us -- lots of meat and very little bun.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Still waiting for the painkiller I took to work so I'm going to crash with a book for a while.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Did more reading while "crashed".
Pulled several books out of my diet library after the reading for more research.
Decided what to call the file/binder that all my information will be stored in and designed a cover and spine for the binder. [I'm weird like that. As soon as I start gathering information, I start thinking about where and how to store it!  Grin ]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 5:28am
Print Post  
I've been going through the diet books. It looks like there are some things that I can use. Won't be able to make a final determination until I talk to the dietitian on Thursday.

Post #41,950
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2019 at 5:31am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
The visit to the therapist went well. I'll be seeing her twice a week through 11/30. I found out why the doctor wants me to have PT. It is so the muscles around my knees are as strong as possible when I have surgery. The therapist didn't come out and say that in plain speech -- she used "doctorspeak" -- but I guessed and she confirmed. So apparently my doctor expects that I'll have to do that in the relatively near future.
Speaking of November, Skywise realized last night that my birthday is coming up and he's decided that no matter what the dietitian says, we're having dinner at Bynum's that night.
I'm not going to argue. I'll have to be careful with the soft drink and the potatoes -- I'll probably eat Spirit's as well as my own -- but we can plan for it.
Still no action on my medication. I'm beginning to think things on that front aren't as urgent as I was led to believe. I'll see the doctor again next week for the knee injections and I'll find out then if I still don't have it.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2019 at 10:25pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 3:17am
Print Post  
There are apparently two types of knee "replacement" surgery -- partial and total. Yes, I've been researching again. It's what I do!

[Side note: Moonie is in her room researching knee replacement too. She takes after her mother!]

Neither sounds like fun but "total" is considerably more invasive with a longer recovery time and I assume a greater chance of complications due to the more complex surgery. Nothing has been decided but my doctor is obviously thinking surgery of some sort is in my future. Oh happy day.
First though, the weight has to come off -- a LOT of weight -- and the whole diabetes thing needs to be controlled if not eliminated altogether. So first things first. I'll be doing the exercises relentlessly even after I stop seeing the therapist so I'll be ready for whatever ends up happening.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Having decided that total knee replacement is in my future although no one has come out and said so, Skywise and I are making VERY preliminary plans to handle it. We're assuming that I'd have both knees done at the same time for the same reasons that I had both cataracts removed at the same time.  I hope we have a year or two to prepare. I know the surgery won't be done until I've lost a lot of weight and my diabetes is controlled.

And we still haven't heard about my medication yet!! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Got off my feet which resulted in a nap which isn't surprising. I did do my exercises when I woke up and before WP decided to nap on my exercise sheet and "Diabetes for Dummies" book.
I haven't eaten since breakfast and I need to. Once I have my eating plan I'll have to be more single-minded about regular meals. NO SKIPPING!
Probably no cookies either....  Cry

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Finally got something to eat. Time flies when you're deep in research!

I'm beginning to suspect that my doctor intends to start me off with "diet" alone rather than diet and medication. We spoke to her staff on Tuesday and that "should" have resulted in my prescription being called into Walmart and so far, I haven't heard from them. Walmart is relentless about letting you know your prescription is ready so if they had it, I would have heard from them. So... my thinking that I'm going to be doing "diet only" at first.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2019 at 3:28am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Looking at the "X Best glucose meters" lists that came up in a Google search.
My head hurts.......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I have a glucose meter -- Accu-Chek Guide
I know how much carbohydrate I can have per meal: 30 to 45 grams

I get to design my diet and decide how many calories I'll have per day. Since I want to lose weight at a fast but safe speed, it's time to start collecting information about carbs rather than sodium.
I need a carbohydrate counter.....
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2019 at 8:51pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I searched "low carb diet" on Amazon and a long list of keto cookbooks came up so since I already have some keto references here, I'll start there. I'm going to aim for 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day.
Now to start my personal carb list...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #17 - Oct 25th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Worked on my personal carb list until my eyes and head gave out. I have a long way to go but I've made a good start.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Oct 25th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Took my first dose of Metformin this morning. So far so good. I'm also researching metformin to learn how and why it works. One new book arrived this morning and two more are coming. My stack of reading material is getting taller by the minute! I'm also going to need to set up a "diabetes center" on the workstation to keep everything together and ready, if necessary, to "grab and go".
Now, I need to finish catching up and hit the books!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #19 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I've been researching the knee injections I'm getting Monday and preparing myself for the possibility that they won't work or won't work for long. Before I can have knee replacement, I have to lose weight, the more the better, and done safely that will take time. The medication I started today may help me lose weight but it's not exactly pleasant and the details are TMI. If you really want to know, Google "Metformin"! I probably should start researching "total knee replacement" but I'll hold off until I see how well the injections work. I've already got more reading on diabetes than I can keep up with!! Smiley   

I finally found some information that Skywise wanted that I didn't know so I'll spring it on him when he gets home.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #20 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 3:08am
Print Post  
I finally ate although I wasn't hungry. Loss of appetite is a side effect of metformin but I knew that if I fasted overnight, it would mess up my blood glucose reading. I'll take a reading in a couple of hours or at bedtime, whichever is latest and if things go as usual, bedtime will be more than two hours from now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Picked up "Diabetes and Keeping Fit" from the For Dummies line at Half Price Books today. Exercising before my knees are as fixed as they're going to be -- which will probably require surgery -- is going to be "upper body" but even that should help and if I can get some walking in that will help too.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
As of this morning, I've lost 11.4 pounds since August 27th when I started keeping track. I still have a ways to go to reach my goal but I'm getting there.
Yesterday, my morning fasting glucose reading was 155. Last night's "bedtime" reading (a couple of hours after dinner) was 150. This morning's reading was 144 so I think I'm doing pretty good.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:35pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I've spent the afternoon giving the cortisone injections in my knees time to work. I'm doing pretty good and I'll start cleaning up the kitchen shortly. No decisions have been made about surgery but I'm preparing myself for that possibility. I'd rather be mentally prepared than not consider it and be blindsided if it becomes necessary.

While letting the shots work, I set up a chart for keeping track of my medication. Metformin is not something you want to overdose on (it will send you to the ER real quick!  Smiley) and I've been known to get so wrapped up in writing that I forget if I've taken something or even to eat. Now I'll HAVE to remember to eat firstmeal and thirdmeal (breakfast and dinner) because I need a good meal in me when I take the pills to avoid the side effects. My maintenance dose will be 2,000 mg a day (as it stands now) so careful record keeping is a must. 
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2019 at 3:05am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Moonie dug out an exercise machine that works the legs while sitting down. Since my knees don't hurt now I can use it to strengthen my legs, particularly my thighs. My problem now is lack of strength in my legs so I have to make the most of the time I have before my knees start to hurt again -- hopefully 2 months.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint