Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic High cholesterol (Read 145 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

High cholesterol
Dec 17th, 2021 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Got the news this morning before I was even out of bed -- normal "super late Christmas Rush bed time" last couple of nights -- so I don't even know how "high" it is or anything. I'll pick up the meds I'll be taking tomorrow -- probably -- and I'll start researching then. I'm already getting the "diet and exercise will fix you right up" advice on Facebook. I shot that down with the fact that with severe osteoarthritis in both knees, "exercise" wasn't likely to happen. At least not until I have surgery which probably won't be until 2023. So I've started this thread so I can talk/bitch about it without getting any unsolicited medical advice.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: High cholesterol
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I've been prescribed rosuvastatin which, according to WebMD could make my diabetes worse.
This does NOT make me happy!  Smiley Smiley

Time to research other methods to reduce cholesterol....

Post # 45,656
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2021 at 3:14am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Gonna have to develop a taste for oatmeal and start fish oil supplements. AND monitor my blood glucose and diet even closer than I do now....
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2021 at 3:23am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Well, Skywise was pretty much blindsided by the news that the rosuvastatin could make my diabetes worse. The first thing he thought was that I'd develop Type 1. I assured him that wouldn't happen but my glucose could be harder to control. I further explained that the diet to control/lower my cholesterol -- which recommends lots of carbs -- would be in opposition to the way I eat to control my glucose. Smiley This leaves me with very few things -- that I like -- that I can eat. Having gone over my diet/what I normally eat -- which is very light in the "usual suspects" in cases of high cholesterol -- I've come to the conclusion that stress is the likely culprit. Being in constant pain -- as I have been for months now -- is stressful. Add to that the stress that everyone has been under since the pandemic started AND the seasonal stress of this time of year and.... I think that establishing a meditation/relaxation practice is in order. Learning to love oatmeal is probably something I need to do as well.
My glucose was up a bit this morning but I'd been awake for a while before I took it. Tomorrow we'll check it the minute I open my eyes and see how it is. If it stays up, I'll call the doctor Monday morning. I'm NOT going to worsen my diabetes and I'll do what is necessary to get my cholesterol down with diet, meditation and as much exercise as I can manage.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Having read this article this evening and having had most of these symptoms since I started taking the statin, I'll won't be taking any more of it and I'll be calling the doctor on Monday after we're back from Skywise's appointment.
Quote:
Prescribed for managing high cholesterol levels, statins are among the most common medications taken by adults. As of 2012, over 23% of all American adults over 40 reported taking statin drugs (such as Crestor, Zocor, Lipitor, Livalo, Mevacor, and Pravachol) (4). On a short-term basis, side effects can include headaches, insomnia, muscle aches, nausea, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and rash. But the risks of long-term statin use are even more serious.

Long-term use of statins has been linked to a deficit of coenzyme Q10 and vitamin K2, increase your risk of breast cancer and diabetes and can raise the risk of Parkinson’s disease (5).

Not being able to keep my glucose stable is bad enough but the rest of it is too much. I'll take my chances with the cholesterol until I can get my knees fixed and can start exercising -- which I intend to do as soon as I can walk!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint