Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) So much for being "perfectly healthy"... (Read 2018 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: So much for being "perfectly healthy"...
Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
The physical therapist let slip today that I have "pretty significant" arthritis in both knees. I really didn't need to be told that but it's nice to have confirmation!   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I'm still compiling diet/nutrition information and discovering that some of my favorite "guilty pleasures" are off the table including some of my homemade items. Cry  If I plan carefully, I can indulge but not often. No more potato chips or breakfast pastry. We've already started drinking Coke Zero -- which is pretty good actually -- and have switched from MUG Root Beer back to Diet A & W Root Beer -- which you can't tell is "diet." I've ordered a food journal that will arrive tomorrow and a glucose record book that will arrive Friday to help me keep track of everything. I've already set up a "dosing schedule" for my medication 'cause it is complicated and I've been known to forget important things like eating....
It is possible that a low carb diet and exercise can reverse Type 2 diabetes, essentially achieving remission. That's what I'm aiming for -- to get down to what I weighed when I got married which is a lot less than I weigh now! I'll probably always have to keep an eye on my glucose levels and watch what I eat closely but others have done it and so will I.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:19pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Had Physical Therapy this morning and I'm a bit achy -- the muscles, not the joints.
I started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin today. A lot of people worldwide have gotten good results with it so I'm trying it. I'll start ASU when I can find some. I want to hold off surgery of any kind as long as possible. I've been having a little trouble keeping my balance due to muscle atrophy so we -- my therapist and I -- will start working on that next week. Skywise and I bought a couple of 5 pound free weights today and as soon as I dig out my exercise books from back in the day, I'll start doing some upper body work.

I start twice a day -- morning and evening -- Metformin today. My body adjusted to the "once a day" dosage pretty quickly. I hope the same thing happens with the "double dose"!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Annoyed. I just spent about 45 minutes trying to find the nutritional information for a "side order" of eggs at McDonald's. It isn't listed anywhere. I finally had to deconstruct an Egg McMuffin to find out. Information which "should" have been readily available. Smiley McD's breakfast offerings are too "carb heavy" for me to eat, unless I want to use an entire day's worth of carbs at one meal. NOT recommended if you want to keep your glucose levels more or less even!
Now I get to figure out the nutritional information for my homemade salad dressing.....  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2019 at 12:08am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
My glucose levels are staying at "borderline" levels for the most part so I must be doing something right.
My right index finger is bruised from last night's test so I'm going to have to use another finger for a while. Fortunately, magazine I got today said that you can use the side of your finger for testing so I'll be doing that for a few days until my finger tips heal up a bit.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I doubled my dose of Metformin yesterday as instructed and the "side effect" has started. It "should" let up just in time for next Friday's "step up. Oh happy day.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
My glucose levels aren't "normal" but they're lower than they were.
My bp is coming down too.
But my body is reacting to the stress of the last month and I've got to work on that which may be harder than losing weight....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Just ordered a book on arthritis (The Arthritis Cure) since my diabetes "library" is pretty well stocked. I'm doing all I can on the "glucose front" so it's time to tackle the knees.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 4:03am
Print Post  
The aches from today's PT session are well underway. The contraption I was using is illustrated below.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2019 at 4:04am by Penthesilea »  

71W1iUr5-lL__SL1500_.jpg ( 86 KB | 8 Downloads )
71W1iUr5-lL__SL1500_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Woke up sore as a boil this morning but most of the soreness has worked itself out.
I just ordered a hard case for my glucose meter -- bright red, naturally -- and a SHE HAS TYPE 2 DIABETES bracelet from Amazon which should arrive on Sunday if not sooner. My first book on arthritis is "out for delivery."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I've lost 16 pounds since the last of August.
My blood pressure is holding in the "Normal" range.
My glucose reading has dropped into the "prediabetic" range.
I think I'm doing pretty good.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I increased my metaformin dose as prescribed and this evening another of the "side effects" has made itself known....

Gas. In my upper GI tract mostly and it's making my whole torso hurt.

At least it isn't nausea. That may come next week..... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
As of this morning, I've lost 17.4 pounds. Last night's bout with metaformin side effects left me "empty" so I'll probably "gain" a bit when my food stays in my digestive tract....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:08am
Print Post  
I checked my glucose about half an hour ago and despite going off my diet a bit at the steakhouse my reading was 100 which is just barely in "prediabetes". I'm hopeful that as I continue to lose weight, my numbers will improve.

Post #42,042

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Sitting here being "aware" of my knees, That is not a good sign.
I ordered a supplement -- ASU -- for arthritis through Amazon. I ordered four months' worth since it takes at least that long to work.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Currently reading The Arthritis Cure since I've got diabetes pretty well covered. I still have some reading to do but I've done enough to be reasonably knowledgeable about that area of my health problems. I wish I'd realized what my knee pain was a couple of decades ago. I could have done something about it then. Oh well, water under the bridge.
I'll be getting another book -- Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual -- because the more I read/research the more I think that surgery is in my future at some point, maybe relatively soon. Skywise is resisting the idea but everyone else with an opinion -- my doctor and PT therapist -- seem to think it is in the cards and if the damage is as bad as they are implying, I have to agree. So I want to know what I'm in for, what I can do to prepare for or delay it and what I'll need to do to recover. One thing I do know... I'm going to have a hell of a scar above and below both knees right down the front of my leg. I think shorts and any skirt shorter than mid-calf are gonna be out of the question!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
My knees feel better today. Apparently Wednesday's PT over-stressed them. My regular therapist, Catherine, worked on my cranky tendon today. Only one more session left. From what she said, she expects me to have surgery on my knees at some point. "I" want to put it off as long as I can due to the fact that the damned things wear out and I want to avoid "replacement" surgery as long as possible.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Knees still hurt but not as much. I'm being careful not to stress them. Tomorrow or Sunday -- depending on how they feel -- I start some light exercise. Wednesday is my last PT appointment and I'll probably have instructions to keep up the exercises. The structures around my knees need to be as strong as possible regardless of what happens or when.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:34am
Print Post  
I've started the last "increase" in my medication tonight. Hopefully, I'll adjust to it quickly and the unpleasant side effects will be a thing of the past. I am SO ready to be done with them!

I'll be glad when I get all this diet information sorted, when my exercise routine has become habit and life has some regularity to it. I know that we're all tired of the running from appointment to appointment that we've done since I was diagnosed -- especially Spirit. Thankfully, my last PT appointment is next week. Then no more appointments -- for me at least. Spirit's dental appointment will be next month and Skywise will be checking in with the doctor just before Christmas. I'll see the doctor for follow-up in January. My blood glucose is solidly in the "pre-diabetes" range and I hope that it will drop further as I lose weight. My skin doesn't "fit" at the moment and I suspect it will "fit" even less well the more weight I lose but it can't be helped. The weight has to go both for my knees and the diabetes. If I'd known twenty years ago what was coming, I would have been more careful about weight gain! No help for it now though.*sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
We were notified today that the "lubricant" that the doctor wants to inject into my knees isn't a "preferred" product and although they didn't say so, it probably isn't covered. We'll be in the same building as the doctor's office this week and let them know.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:48pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 3:30am
Print Post  
I did some online research and if insurance doesn't pay for it, I can't have it done.
It would be $5,000 for each knee. It would be $10,000 total for both knees. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I'm almost finished reading The Diabetes Code. I don't know what I'll read next. Skywise has started following my "Low Carb" lead to lose (more) weight) and to avoid developing T2D himself.
My glucose readings continue to be in the "prediabetic" range with occasional dips into "normal". My bp readings are staying in the "high normal" range.
As of this morning's weigh in I've lost 20 pounds since the last of August.  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2019 at 6:42am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I finished The Diabetes Code tonight. There's a lot to digest and I'll probably read it again before too long.
I think my next reading binge will be on the topic of arthritis. I don't know nearly enough and it looms large in my future. I intend to beat my T2D into remission but there's no way I can do that with arthritis. If I'd known about it 20 years ago, yeah maybe, but I gather from offhand remarks from medical professionals that there's too much damage to my knees now for that to be possible. *sigh* So I'm bracing myself for total knee replacement -- both knees at the same time most likely.
We've started getting the bills for my first round of doctor/therapist visits, X-rays and diet education/gear. Ouch. I don't even want to think about what it would cost if we didn't have good insurance.... Smiley 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 9:25pm:
We were notified today that the "lubricant" that the doctor wants to inject into my knees isn't a "preferred" product and although they didn't say so, it probably isn't covered. We'll be in the same building as the doctor's office this week and let them know.

Penthesilea wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 3:30am:
I did some online research and if insurance doesn't pay for it, I can't have it done.
It would be $5,000 for each knee. It would be $10,000 total for both knees. Smiley

Well, we stopped at the doctor's office and gave them a copy of the letter from Anthem and she changed the "lubricant" to one that is on Anthem's preferred list and the prescription was called in. Walmart let us know and we picked it up. So if she wants to inject it when I see her the next time, we're all set -- and it didn't cost $5,000 per knee!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The results from the mammogram I had on the 14th came in and they are normal, normal, normal.
The way things have been going, Moonie was worried that there would be something else for us to deal with. She is now relieved.

My weight and my glucose numbers continue to drop, not super fast but steadily so I'm hopeful that we can get my glucose numbers into the "normal" range -- therefore putting me into "remission" once they stay low -- and can put off knee surgery as long as possible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint