Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Partial and Total Knee Replacement Surgery (Read 238 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Partial and Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Jun 3rd, 2022 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Time to start a new topic in here.
Skywise got his "pre-op" schedule for his first knee surgery today. Yeah, "first". His surgeon wants to do the work one leg at a time in case a problem develops.
Skywise is getting a Total Knee Replacement. We had thought that he wouldn't need that drastic of a procedure but it turns out that he does.

Right now, we're gearing up for the "post-op" period when he won't be able to drive which, since he does the driving around here presents a large problem. Yes, I can and do drive in emergencies but I'm really not up to taking over for him. Then there is the fact that he won't be very mobile for a while -- as in getting into and out of the house. So we're going to be housebound for a while.
So the first thing I need to do, aside from finding out what kind of "taxi-type" services are available, is plan on doing a LOT more cooking than I normally do. As in two, more likely three, meals a day every day for maybe three or four weeks -- depending on how quickly Skywise can get back on his feet.
We may have to find out how DoorDash/GrubHub work -- and who locally uses them -- so we can sate Spirit's lust for fast food from time to time.
Also have to find out about grocery delivery from the stores we shop at.
I'm gonna be a busy girl.....  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2023 at 2:23am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Partial and Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 4:01am
Print Post  
We have both Uber and Lyft in town and the prices are reasonable. Skywise will want to find out if the hospital has a shuttle service but it's good to know that there are alternatives.
The local Walmart delivers so we'll get a membership and won't have to worry about that.
The other store we shop at regularly also delivers but it's in Greenwood so I'll have to find out if they deliver this far out.
Haven't found out about fast food delivery yet.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 4:27am
Print Post  
The "countdown" is underway.
Skywise has started doing all the "pre-op" stuff he's been instructed to do to get ready for surgery.
Looking ahead, he could be back behind the wheel in as little as two weeks, for short trips anyway, or as long as four weeks. I'm hoping for two or three weeks. The sooner we can get back to our "normal" routine -- or as normal as it's going be for at least 12 weeks/three months -- the better! His job requires a lot of stooping, walking, lifting and such with few if any breaks and it will probably take the whole 12 weeks before he's physically able to do that. I don't know yet at what point he'll have his other leg done. THAT will be another 12 weeks/3 months of recovery/rehab time if they wait until this first rehab is over before "doing" his other leg. 
When I will go under the knife will depend on when Skywise can get leave to take care of me. [There's a formal name for it but it escapes me at the moment.] Since I need both legs done, there's another six months, more or less, committed to "medical". Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Skywise had his surgery on July 8th. It went well and his recovery is on track and going well. We had hoped that he would have his second surgery somewhere around 6 weeks after the first one but his surgeon wants him to wait the full 12 weeks before the second surgery is even considered. This means, given that Skywise won't be able to take any more medical leave until after the first of the year, it will be January, 2023 before we can even think about the second surgery so as things stand now, it will be January, 2024 before we can start the process for my surgery. That is, if nothing ELSE happens to delay it. If there's another lockdown or something else that causes hospitals to put off elective surgery, my wait could be even longer.
I am bummed, to put it mildly.
I was hoping to start the process for my surgery after the first of the year and I was telling myself that the end was in sight and I could stand the pain that long. NOW it could be 16 to 18 months before I can start the process. I'm going to have to find something to distract myself with...
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2022 at 10:30pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2022 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Thinking, mainly, about the next two to three years. I'm not as fit as I need to be. Surgery and rehab is going to be hard. Watching Skywise go through it leaves no doubt about that in my mind. My legs need to be stronger and I need to lose more weight which will be hard since "walking" is not something I can do much of right now, certainly not enough to build muscle and burn calories. I'm pretty sure that I've already lost all I can through diet alone. Guess it's time to uncover the weigh bench, dig out the hand weights and training books and figure out what I can do. I already have some leg exercises from my Total Knee Replacement research so I'll start with them since building up my legs is the first priority.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2023 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Skywise's second surgery is scheduled for February 21th. His first two pre-op appointments are set. This schedule assumes that the hospitals aren't shut down again and that the weather behaves. It'll be February in Indiana so anything weather-wise is possible.

I haven't been able to exercise as much as I've wanted. The pain is simply too much so I'm just trying to walk as much as I can, regardless of how much it hurts. My first surgery -- left leg -- won't be scheduled until after September. Skywise should be fully recovered by then and most of  the "summer" things we missed last year will be over. I don't want the girls to miss more of the things they enjoy during summer. He won't be able to get leave to take care of me until after January 1, 2024 so I'm looking at another year of pain.....
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2023 at 2:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint