Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Intros:Welcome To The World Of The Empath! (Read 1533 times)
Lorrie
Ex Member

Intros:Welcome To The World Of The Empath!
Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:47am
Print Post  
What is an empath? Well, there are many definitions and aspects of it. Quite simply, it is a person who feels the emotions and feelings of others. It seems that everyone has this ability to an extent, and there are many levels of abilities. I will provide some links for the curious souls that would like to learn more.
This is pasted from THE UNIVERSAL EMPATH 101:Empathy: n. 1. The ability to sense and/or understand emotion(s) from another person, animal, inanimate objects incorporating stimulation to any and or all of the senses (including the 6th Sense) without verbally being told and/or without obvious visual clues. 2. The ability to be sensitive and receptive to outside emotional stimuli. - adj. empathic or empathetic., v. to empathize
Empath: n. 1. A person who has the ability to experience empathy towards another person, and/or animate/inanimate objects, in part or from all of the above definition. 2. A person who is sensitive to the emotions in others. For more on this, please see the links sticky.

The purpose of this room is for discussions, support, ranting, basically just a sane place to retreat to with people that understand how it is. I am fairly new to all this myself, I never knew there was a label for it or that not everyone was like that! Please feel free to add your own findings, or just rant to vent, we all know how it is!

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Re: Intros:Welcome To The World Of The Empath!
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
How about intros? I have been researching the subject of being an empath for a few months now. I don't remember ever NOT being one, just never knew there was a name for it. I also never knew that not everyone has this ability, I just assumed that everyone was like this, as do most people that are empaths. We get frustrated with other people easily, like when we see someone hurting someone else, and our inner voices scream " Stop that!! Can't you feel what you are doing to them??" Actually, they don't. We can walk into a room and right away feel what other people in the room are feeling. In another forum, we discussed what the opposite of empath would be. I felt it would be intellectual. We can be doing anything and suddenly be taken over by feelings or emotions that are not our own. It is quite confusing, because when this happens the empath must stop and figure out if this is their own feeling, or that of someone else, and if possible, where it came from. Not all empaths can read minds, actually only a few do. An empath feels your feelings and emotions, the stronger it is, the harder we are hit with it. I do mean hit with it, sometimes it really does feel as though you have run into a brick wall, BAM!! It can be painful! Some empaths even feel others injuries and ailments. There are many levels of ability, and once you know that you are an empath, you can decide if you want to shield the world out, or open up to it. I have learned alot over the past few months about this world, if you have questions or concerns or need to vent, please do. This thread is for all of it. If I don't know an answer, and no one else on this thread does, I WILL try to find an answer to it using other forums and contacts. So, this is my little introduction!

IP Logged

puchi

Serenity Newbie

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 2:15am
Print Post  
I love being an empath - even with i get a direct 'hit' to my chest that wakes me up and i spend ages figuring out who it is that sent it.

I love walking through a busy town centre and getting 'highs' and 'lows' in constant tandem - 'feeling' everyone just makes the world seem alive.

I only realised i loved it after i lost it though - i was too emotionally strung out with life issues and it closed down for a while Undecided - the world felt SO empty - almost like everyone had died. The 'vitality' of everything was gone and there seemed no point to anything.

Thankfully though - it returned when my life settled down Grin - and i relish everything about it  Smiley - it was so fantastic to feel the world again. It was so great to know how people felt, even the pain they felt was a relief from the wierd 'twilight zone' of nothingness that i had experienced.

Hail empaths!!  Grin

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I had blocked mine out for a time, it got to be too much to handle, I had no idea what it was though, it was just painful so I blocked out all emotion and feelings. It's been a wild ride to get it all back, and realize that I had natural blocks put up that I couldn't get to stay down now, I am still fighting that battle. I am winning, slowly. It been a rough lesson to learn, but I am learning to live with it, feel all of it, and learn to use it in positive ways. Glad to see another empath here, it was getting a bit lonely here! I was afraid I was putting all this stuff up just for myself!!!!!!! Grin

IP Logged

DarkLord_Kodiak
Forum Administrator

Ph.D

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I use to think that my empathy was a curse. Not so much anymore. I have learned to controll it and munipulate it to the point where it works for me instead of against me. I would have to empathy has helped me through life more than it has hurt me. I found it most most helpfull when dealing with Psi vampirism. Heh might sound kinda weird but it does tie together and quite well too. Dont get me wrong there are still times I wish my empathy wasnt so developed but well youll have that.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.phpattachmentid=53328&stc=1&&;Without darkness there can be no light.&&
Headmaster
Royal Coven O.L.
&&
&&
Resident Vampire
&&

IP Logged

Lorrie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I know what you mean. I never knew what it was, just that I knew how people felt about me, and when I was little, it wasn't good, my family didn't want me so I had to grow up with this isolated feeling, it is painful for a child to understand feelings like that, and when you try to get the people to talk about it and ask why they felt that way, they would tell me I was wrong. They didn't understand themselves that this is how they felt! They know now, and I am still very close to my family, I don't have the childhood problems looming over my head, none of them meant to harm me what so ever, and I don't hold it against them. Knowing these things as a child is a rough way to learn about life!! Undecided I wouldn't trade being an empath for anything though, I love being able to feel the connection to people and not have to be close to them physically, the hermit thing keeps me away physically from people, this way I can still have an understanding of friends with out the physical proximation!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint