Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts! (Read 38781 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: What's Happenin' IV: The Revenge of the Posts!
Reply #325 - May 29th, 2008 at 3:00am

Penthesilea wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 9:32pm:
Omm: Castle geography.
I have some sort of hideous swamp monster -- details to be decided.
Now I need a swamp.
Where to put it.....

Penthesilea wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 10:29pm:
5,280 feet x 5,280 feet = 27,878,400 square feet/43,560 square feet = 640 acres or 1 square mile or 1 section.

The Castle sits in the exact middle of that. Also inside the Mile Wall, Castletown, a lake, several small villages, farms, pastures, woods and the Gremlin Caves.  Crowhaven and the river are 6.5 miles (more or less) away outside the wall.

Smiley I think that some mapmaking is in order before I go too much further...

Smiley I'm thinking that this might be easier if I were to lose the "swamp" part and just stick with the monster part. The Castle's lake [actually an abandoned limestone quarry] is about 15 acres, Castletown is taking 3 acres for the town proper with the fields and such taking "I haven't figured out how much" more. While I could probably put a marshy area at one end or side of the lake, it wouldn't be very big and a "Battle with Swamp Monster" sequence requires lots of swampy atmosphere --- fog, spooky sounds, moss and snakes hanging from the trees, that sort of thing -- and I can't produce that inside the Mile Wall and for what I want to do, the river is too far away. The Keyholder is tough but I don't want her to be THAT tough! So I need a monster that is big, strong, vicious and able to climb the Mile Wall. Or at least look like it climbed the wall....  Smiley I also need a way to keep the Keyholder's daughters, bloodthirsty little things that they are, out of the action so the other characters have a chance to shine.
Heavy thinking on my schedule, looks like.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #326 - May 29th, 2008 at 3:57am

MoonCat has informed me that she thinks that the WiiFit looks really good and she's thinking we need one. For me. ... ahem.... I told her that if I was going to exercise in HER room [where her Wii is located.] we were going to need a lot more room in there. She then allowed that she had been thinking that we need another Wii for the wide screen tv in the living room. Skywise has been thinking about that for a while now too. Oh well, where to put it and how to hook it up will be his problem, not mine! Smiley
As a side note, he has a Nintendo, a SuperNES and a Game Cube hooked up to that tv. I'm not sure if there is any place left to hook anything up! The Wii is in Moonie's room since she paid for it and I've lost track of how many different handheld Nintendo models she has.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #327 - May 29th, 2008 at 4:40am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out. I think I'll read some before I get ready for bed. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #328 - May 29th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Greetings!! We went into town and got part of our supplies for the next two weeks since Skywise needed to gas up the car.  Smiley Smiley Smiley He gets his check tonight so it will be off to the stores again tomorrow for the rest of the stuff. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #329 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:15pm

Well, I've been outside for the last 45 minutes staking out the Dream House. I want to draw out the floor plan and include how the Dream House is going to be connected to the Guest House. To do that, I need to see how they relate to each other. I ended up putting the Dream House at an angle to the Guest House and I may yet set the Dream House a few feet further back from the front of the Guest House. I'm going to have to see where things like doorways fall. Since it is required in "standard" housing, I'm assuming that all the below grade bedrooms -- all eight of them -- must have exits that lead directly outside. When you have a bedroom in a finished basement that is usually accomplished by a very large window and window well with an escape ladder installed. Of course, with a "walk-in" basement that problem is taken care of nicely! The north side isn't much of a problem but the Guest House is on the south side and getting all the exits and connections figured out is going to take a bit of thought. So I have a bunch of stakes in the yard north of the Guest House and connected with string so I can "see" it.  So I'll be working with graph paper and pencils with much use of erasers! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #330 - May 30th, 2008 at 4:48am

Time for me to head out. Everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #331 - May 30th, 2008 at 4:39pm

Back from payday shopping!  Smiley I still have to put it away though. *sigh* We also filled up the van. *more Smiley * As Skywise said as he climbed back into the driver's seat. "We have gas. We're also broke." Not quite but if this keeps up, I might have to rearrange our budget a bit. For now, we're going to see the new Indiana Jones movie this weekend. *rubs hands together* Can't wait! I LOVE watching Indy blow things up!  And the fact that the Russian Communists are foaming at the mouth over the movie's plot tickles the stuff out of me!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #332 - May 30th, 2008 at 6:17pm

Smiley The propane guy was just here. He filled our tank (we have a 1,000 gallon tank) to the tune of 670 gallons. Price per gallon? $2.3990. He told me that it was down 20 cents from last week so I guess we lucked out. And it's cheaper than gasoline by about $1.60-some cents so I guess I can't kick too much. Of course, there is sales tax tacked onto the bill too. This is the "summer fillup" and if it stays mild, we shouldn't see a gas truck again until about late October or early November although they will likely check it sometime in September. The tank for the Guest House -- a 500 gallon one -- will likely be filled next week. They were doing the big tanks this week.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #333 - May 30th, 2008 at 11:09pm

Well, things are going to get interesting later. The weather is still okay here but it is getting dangerous up north. The storms are moving slowly from west to east while the whole line sinks to the south. *sigh* It will likely be 3 or 4 a.m. before it moves out of the state. This is the same system that make the news tonight because of the tornadoes it spawned last night. Everyone is hoping that things will start to settle down once in sun goes down -- in another couple of hours - but there is no guarantee. It's been unseasonably hot and sticky today.  Sad I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #334 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:51am

Sunset at 9:05 p.m.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #335 - May 31st, 2008 at 1:17am

The sun has set and I'm beginning to hear thunder, very faintly. I've given up trying to write tonight. We'll be eating in a few minutes so that will be out of the way.
Yep. Definitely thunder to the west....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #336 - May 31st, 2008 at 2:37am

The individual storms are merging into a squall line, which is a good thing, and the lights have been flickering, which is not.
I may disappear due to power failure so I'll say goodnight now. Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif] I'll be back and post when I can.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #337 - May 31st, 2008 at 3:33am

The lights are still on and the damage reports from Indianapolis are starting to come in. It sounds bad but there are no pictures yet because the lightning is still heavy in the area. It will be on tomorrow's news, likely the national news from the sound of things.
The squall line hasn't reached us yet but they are starting to issue Thunderstorm Warnings for this county. If he left on time, Skywise should be home in 15 - 20 minutes. I doubt he's wasting any time in getting home tonight. I'll feel better when he's home. We'll be together and he won't be on the road in these storms which scares me more than anything that could happen tonight.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #338 - May 31st, 2008 at 4:08am

Skywise isn't home yet and the thunder is getting closer so I'm going to log off. Be safe.
I'll post as soon as I can in the morning.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #339 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:13pm

Morning. Skywise got home at about 12:30 a.m. last night after spending most of the storm sheltering under an overpass. According to the national news, there were three tornadoes last night. We're suppposed to have more hot and humid weather today. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #340 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:59pm

Off to town and then the city. See ya later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #341 - May 31st, 2008 at 5:37pm

We're back from our running around. Moonie HAD to hit Toys R Us today to get a download for her DS and because there would be a crowd -- and there was -- we had to get their early. I was a sensible mom. I sat in the car with a book! I made some headway in that polyamory book even if the sun WAS giving my eyes fits. Anyway, home now and with tea. I'm going to work on the next monster hunt for the Castle while I run the washer and get a few other things done.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #342 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:50pm

Hmmmm.... have to think of a reason why the Keyholder's daughters aren't leading the charge....

This is going to require serious thought!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #343 - May 31st, 2008 at 11:30pm

I took a nap which I really needed but I still don't know how to keep the Keyholder's dynamic duo out of the action.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #344 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 5:06am

I'm going to head out now. We're going to see Indiana Jones tomorrow and that will mean hitting the floor early! Everyone sleep well and be safe! Smiley[smiley=goodnight.gif]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #345 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:40pm

Howdy! I'm here just long enough to make sure that the place is still here before we head out to the movie. I shall gush about it upon our return. Everyone be safe and have fun on this beautiful Sunday morning. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #346 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:07pm

We're back!! GREAT MOVIE!!!!
Harrison Ford is HOT. He didn't get his shirt tore off in this one but he's still hot. [What? I'm an equal opportunity gal when it comes to male hotness. I do NOT discriminate! Smiley ]
The whole movie was a delight for fans of the series. The action was spread around and we may have a new action hero on our hands. Not a bad thing since Shia LaBeouf is HOT too.  It's too bad that Sean Connery passed on the opportunity to reprise his role as Henry Jones, Sr. The HOTNESS would have been off the scale. There were the obligatory "make your hair stand on end" stunts -- never mind that you KNOW how they did it, you still have a death grip on your armrests and much deserved gruesome death for selected badguys! Plus, a happy ending that fans have waited a couple of decades to see. All in all, a very satisfying way to spend a couple of hours with my sweetie and kids.
I'm not going to say any more about the plot so those who haven't seen it won't have the surprises spoiled. And there are plenty of surprises! muwahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:39pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #347 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 8:22pm

Yeeeee-hawwwwwwww

The creative logjam has finally yielded to my "mental dynamite" and the words are flowing again! The Keyholder's daughters are doing the "mad scientist" thing [sorta] and the Castle knights are about to go forth to indulge in much tracking, stalking, being tracked and stalked and finally, much combat resulting in slayage of the monster. Just how much of that is going to be in the reposts and how much is saved for the book, I can't tell you now. I'm just a happy little writer person that the solution has been found and I can make some headway on this thing! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #348 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:16am

I didn't get nearly as much writing done today as I wanted to. First thunderstorms moved through -- little popup ones but I still had to get off the computer for safety's sake. Then I had to fix dinner so Skywise and the girls used the computers and they all got done about 20 minutes ago. *sigh* Oh well, tomorrow is another day and perhaps the next sequence will be a bit more gelled in my mind by then. I've been reading my polyamory book - slowly - and I might actually have some thoughts on the subject tomorrow -- or the day after.
In any event, it's time to get the trash put out for pickup  Smiley so I'm going to do that and call it a night. I'm a sleepy little writer person *yawn!* and my bed calls me, persuasively.
Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:24am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #349 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 2:07pm

*stretch, yawn* Morning! It's a beautiful morning this morning.  It's cool but not chilly and the sun is shining which is good thing 'cause drying things out would be nice!
I'm going to seek out some tea and breakfast and then get busy -- Castle and more laundry....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40
Send TopicPrint