Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Penthesilea's Castle...posts 1 to 970 (Read 24810 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Castle...posts 1 to 970
Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:58pm

#35    Penthesilea

“I have to take the Keyholder's Tower. It comes with the job. The girls will likely take rooms there too, given the kinds of research they like to get up to.” She grinned, “And I think that you can have enormous fun without me being next door. If you can’t, I’m sure that we can find some handsome warrior capable of remedying that.” Bladeraven blushed and Penthesilea changed the subject.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 8:59pm

#36   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“You know, my grandfather was no fool. He knew how my aunt was about alcohol. He likely had a stash of his best stuff hidden where she couldn’t find it and my uncle could if he was of a mind to enjoy a good brew.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:00pm

#37   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Bladey was of the opinion that locating the former Keyholder’s private stash of liquid consumables was a worthwhile way to spend her time since there appeared to be no pressing need to kill anything.  Penth considered it and send for a man she knew of among the refugees. He had been a Brewmaster in Dunn’s Keep, one of the best in that small city and he and his family had chosen to accompany her and hers into the unknown rather than return to their dwarven homeland. She thought that such faith should be rewarded and she had long ago decided to set him up in business once they reached their destination. Her discovery of the brewery and distillery complex in an area of the Castle’s first lower level sealed the deal in her mind.
     Vladir Gormson arrived promptly and Penthesilea made him her offer as well as telling him about the private stash probably hidden in the Castle. Then she led him and Bladeraven to the brewery complex. The dwarf roamed through the rooms, his eyes alight with an emotion that Penthesilea could identify only as joy.  When his inspection was complete he came to where Penthesilea was standing.
     “Does it meet with your approval, Brewmaster?” she asked.
     “It does, my Lady,” he said, his deep voice choked with emotion. “If you’ll have me and mine, I’ll be your Brewmaster.”
     Penthesilea extended her right hand which the dwarf took in a firm but not crushing grip. “It would please me very much to have you as my Brewmaster.”
     “Done then!” He pronounced. “I’ll begin at once.”
    Penthesilea laughed. “If you don’t mind, I think that Bladeraven could use your assistance in finding my late grandfather’s private stock.”
     The Brewmaster laughed. “And wise she is! No one can hide brew from a dwarf!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:06pm

#38  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Bladeraven and the Dwarven Brewmaster begin their search for the wine, beer and spirit stocks in the first of the underground levels of the Castle. Nothing is heard for an hour or so.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:07pm

#39    bladeraven

*yells from the cellar* There's Scotch, Vodka and Whiskey down here too....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #30 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:09pm

#43   Penthesilea

“Of course there is. The family was big on mixed drinks too. I am the only nondrinker on the Keyholder side of the family.”
     After leaving the Brewmaster and his staff to inventory the secret stash of  alcohol, Bladey heads out to explore further on the upper floors of the Main Hall.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:10pm

#44   bladeraven

*yells from the far end of the castle* Whoa...a Nursery! And baby swords too......awwwwww

Post #11,000
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:17pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #32 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:11pm

#47   Penthesilea

“Yeah, we start them young in this family. Should be one Grasshopper's size.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:13pm

#49       bladeraven

Hmmmm.....we may want to add a nursing station.....just in case.......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #34 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:13pm

#51    bladeraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthesilea
     “Yeah, we start them young in this family. Should be one Grasshopper' size.”

He found it......chasing after the Smallkin, butt naked and swinging the sword......sigh...they grow up fast.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:14pm

#53   Penthesilea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeraven
Hmmmm.....we may want to add a nursing station.....just in case.......

“There used to be an infirmary and a dispensary for making medicines and potions. It should be on the third floor somewhere.”
     Bladey came back down to the ground floor by a different flight of stairs and found herself in an as yet uncleared and unexplored area of the Castle.  She finds a large, beautifully carved hardwood door and opens it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #36 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:19pm

#74  bladeraven

*screams from deep in the castle* HEY! There's a pub here!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:51pm

#78     Penthesilea

“OF COURSE, there is a Pub! My kin could tie one on with the best of them unless my Aunt Prudie was around.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:52pm

#79    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea consulted the new “memories” that were steadily creeping into her brain and used the information to locate the Pub where Bladeraven was delightedly rooting around behind the bar where untouched bottles and kegs of various libations had sat undisturbed in the decades since Penthesilea’s uncle had been the Keyholder.  Penth smiled fondly as Bladey pulled out a very dusty glass, blew into it to clear the dust and then sneezed.
     “Hold your horses, girl! I’ll have everything clean in a minute!” Bladey grinned at her with a smudge of dirt on her nose and watched as Penthesilea cast the cleaning spell.  For her part, Penth put an extra bit of power in the spell. She had a feeling that word would get around fast and the Pub would be filled to capacity as soon as the day’s work was done.  With everything clean, Bladey tapped a keg of ale and drew herself a generous glass. She sniffed it first and followed that with a cautious sip. Satisfied, she took a huge pull and emerged beaming.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #39 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:53pm

#80    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea was correct in her feeling that the Pub would soon be the center of activity in their little community. Penth had not been the only one to hear Bladey’s shout of discovery.  In ones and twos, the curious  stuck their heads in the door, realized what Bladey had found and came in.  Bladey quickly found herself doing bartender duty while Penth did a quick inventory of the back room which she found crammed with dusty casks and kegs that, once magickally cleaned, proved to be full of brews that had not been seen in ages. A quick magickal scan informed her that every keg and cask had been enchanted at the time of its making to never run dry. Then her drink loving ancestors had lovingly filled them with the best libations available.  She looked over the selection and decided that her Castle’s pub was going to be very popular indeed! Of course, the Brewmaster and his crew would be adding to the pub’s stocks so she could count on new classics being created as well as supplying all the brews that had come into favor in the centuries since the kegs and casks had been laid down. Now all she needed was someone to run the place and staff for it. She didn’t think that Bladey was suited for it!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:55pm

#81     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea had returned to the front and was behind the bar filling steins with ale when the Brewmaster walked in with a large human male who was, in turn, followed by a woman who was obviously his lifemate and three young women who were likely their daughters. Penthesilea smiled, her instincts told her that she had very likely found her Pubkeeper.  The Brewmaster spoke to the woman, she nodded and made her way behind the bar where Penthesilea was handing steins to various thirsty patrons.
     “Let me do that, my Lady,” she said. “The Brewmaster and my man wish to speak with ye.” Penthesilea smiled and moved out of her way.
     “Thank you,” she said before she left. The other woman smiled and turned her attention to the next customer.
     “What will ye be havin’,  my lad?”
     Penthesilea threaded her way through the press to the corner table that the Brewmaster had claimed.  Even as Penthesilea approached, the young women answered their mother’s call to come and help serve. Both men stood as Penth approached and as soon as they were all seated, the Brewmaster began.
     “Milady, this is Tariq McGee, a man of good reputation who’s fallen on hard times.”
     Penthesilea turned her eyes toward McGee. “What sort of hard times would those be?’
    “War, my Lady,” he replied. “The Kiltrip War drove us from the land where we were born.  We had an inn on a caravan route, the Bandit Wars dried up the trade and then we were easy pickings. We abandoned everything and ran before they could surround us. Since then we’ve drifted from one place to another. We’ve been in Crowhaven for six months now.”
     “How did you two meet?”
     “I taught his father the brewing trade,” the Brewmaster replied. “I saw him born and his daughters too. It is the Gods own blessing that he’s found us.”
     Penthesilea nodded. “You have no objection to working for me rather than having your own establishment?”
     “No, my Lady, I don’t. I want my girls to be safe from war and rough men. Here, in your Castle, they will be protected. No man would be fool enough to violate any rules that you lay down.”  Unknown to the two men, Penthesilea had cast a spell for detecting the truth on herself as she had approached them. She had no doubts about their truthfulness or the man McGee’s honesty.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #41 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 9:59pm

#82   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“True enough. You’re hired. How soon can you start?” Penthesilea consulted the information that was coming to the forefront of her mind. “The job comes with quarters above the Pub. There should be plenty of room for your family. If you have time, I’ll show you and the Brewmaster what I’ve found so far in the way of supplies.” The relief and joy on the man’s face was all the reward Penthesilea could have wished for. “And you will, of course, be paid a percentage of the Pub’s profit.” She looked around, “The free booze is temporary. “
     “I can start at once, my Lady.” He also scanned the room. “Yes, I’d say that it will soon be time for ‘Last Call.’”
     “Then get to work, McGee, while I make sure that your family’s quarters are clean and ready to occupy. Then we’ll explore the place and see what my ancestors left us.” She extended her hand. “Welcome aboard.”
    He took her hand in the firm grip. “My honor, my Lady.” Then the three of them rose and headed for the bar. It was time to introduce the new Pubkeeper.   

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:00pm

#90  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

The pressure of having so many people and so much livestock around the Castle began to cause problems so Penthesilea authorized taking some of the cattle, sheep and pigs out to pastures which were already lush with high grass. She also authorized restoration and resettlement of some small villages that were still in reasonable shape despite being abandoned for so long. That eased the population pressure considerably.  They still had to survey and allocate land to everyone that wanted to farm and plan the various settlements that they needed to build but for the moment, Penthesilea could catch her breath.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #43 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:06pm

#100   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

A night club in Madridoor....

Kodiak was bored out of his skull.  He stood next to the bar in one of Madridoor’s hottest night clubs, sipping a glass of fresh blood and watching the crowd swirl around him. Here and there, a vampire took blood directly from the neck of a willing or sometimes unwilling human.  Two nights previous, Kodiak had fought a death duel with a vampire armed with nothing but his hands, his feet and.... his own fangs. Kodiak was infected with the Living Vampire Virus and had been for a few years.  He enjoyed the gifts that the True Vampire had to a lesser degree. He was strong, fast, had night vision no uninfected human could match and a vampire’s fangs. While he didn’t particularly like sunlight and never had, it did not cause him to burst into flames unless you counted a tendency to sunburn easily.  He also had a craving for blood which while it wasn’t as compelling as it was for a True Vampire he did need to satisfy it to remain in perfect health.
     Kodiak noticed a pair of women watching him and hid his smile with his glass. They wanted him. Women always did. He was tall with the hard, muscular build of the warrior that he was. His eyes were dark brown and his dirty blond hair was artfully streaked with black. His handsome face was a study in male intensity and when he moved, it was with the controlled grace of the athlete and warrior.  He was debating whether or not to approach them or make them come to him when he heard someone calling him.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:07pm

#101  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Darklord!”  Kodiak turned and saw one of his more entertaining acquaintances coming toward him.
     “Evening, Darius,” Kodiak said when the man was close enough to hear him.  “What has you so excited?”
     “It’s confirmed! Someone has found the Keyholder’s Castle!”
     Kodiak smiled. The man’s enthusiasm for gossip and rumor was entertaining as well as useful.  “The Keyholder’s Castle is a myth.”
    His friend got him by the arm and pulled, intending to drag Kodiak off somewhere. It wasn’t likely to happen. Kodiak normally didn’t move unless he wanted to but, amused, he let his enthusiastic friend pull him away, leaving two disappointed women behind. Kodiak didn’t care. There would be others. There always were. Kodiak followed Darius to one of the club’s private rooms which was furnished with tables, comfortable chairs, feeding couches and... a very large bed. Kodiak knew which way Darius’s inclinations ran and wasn’t worried. If he knew Darius, once he had shared whatever it was that he was so anxious to tell him, three or four women would appear and the two men would spend the rest of the evening indulging themselves. Once the door was locked behind them, Darius pulled a packet out of his jacket and began to spread photographs on the nearest table. “Myth, is it?” He said triumphantly. “Look at these!”
     Kodiak picked up one of the photos and looked at it. It was a long shot and showed a building that could only be called a castle but was unlike any he had ever seen.  He stared at the picture and suddenly, he was no longer bored.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #45 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:09pm

#137  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Kodiak of the Order of the Dark Knights had used every resource at his considerable command to learn what he could about the Keyholder’s Castle and the new Keyholder, a reputed Amazon mercenary named Penthesilea. A little more digging turned up a confusing mix of information which did not seem to fit together at all. The most intriguing tidbit was the assertion that the Keyholder was as beautiful as a Goddess and as  celibate as a stone because no man could bed her unless he first defeated her in a fair fight and, as far as anyone knew, no man had managed that feat.  After hearing that from no less than three sources, Kodiak made his decision. He would see this woman for himself and if she was worth the effort, he would bed her.  If he had to subdue her first, well, so be it. She would thank him for it later!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:10pm

#141  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

After two weeks of diligent work, the entire Castle was declared secure. Penthesilea and her girls were fairly sure that there was likely some nasty surprises still in the deeper levels of the Catacombs under the Castle but every exit from them had been sealed so they were confident that nothing was likely to escape and eat the Castle’s inhabitants while they slept.  It took a full day to get everyone moved into quarters in the Castle and reasonably settled. The livestock was another story. Some had already been taken out to pasture but others were in makeshift corrals and barns since it was coming up fast on the birthing season for most of them.  No one wanted pregnant animals or vulnerable newborns out in unknown pastures. Those with the skills to assist in those births needed to stay near the pregnant animals, making herders in very short supply. Everyone that knew anything about herding was pressed into service. It had been a very, very long time since Penthesilea had been a herder but she remembered quickly once she was back in the saddle doing her turn on herd watch.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #47 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:21pm

#159   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

The next few weeks were filled with frantic activity. The crops needed to be in the ground as quickly as possible but before that could be done who would farm which fields had to be established and the fields themselves prepared, onsite housing for people and livestock built, wells and water systems made operational, roads cleared and repaired and most importantly, the design and siting of the various settlements that needed to be established. Many but not all of the humans were rebuilding on the site of the town that had once stood across the lake from the Castle. The Smallkin wanted their own village tailored to their requirements and three more groups of humans wished their own communities where they could pursue their own interests. Penthesilea had no problem with this, it was simply a matter of getting it all done. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:22pm

#180     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea was on herd duty when MoonCat contacted her.
     Mom, we need you at the Castle. A group of armed riders has come through the Western Gate in the Mile Wall and are headed this way.

How many? Even as she waited for MoonCat’s response, Penthesilea was galloping toward the foreman to tell him that she was needed back at the Castle and to warn him that there might be a problem.
     There are three men in armor in the lead, we can’t identify their standards yet, and about two dozen men at arms with them. They’re all mounted.
     Oh lovely! I’m assuming that everyone is inside and the Gates are closed.  MoonCat’s nonverbal snort assured her mother that was indeed the case. I’ll be right there. With the foreman briefed and the rest of the herders on alert, Penthesilea prepared to return to the Castle. Her mount wasn’t a war horse but the gelding had been through a transport Gate more than once. Penthesilea didn’t think it wise to try to out race the mystery riders to the Castle. She built a Gate and rode from the pasture straight into the Main Courtyard.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #49 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:23pm

#181     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Estimated time of arrival!” She demanded as she dismounted.
     “Twenty minutes, Mother,” Spirit replied. “Plenty of time for us to get ready.”  Penthesilea nodded. It would be enough time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint