Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Veridian's Writings and Grumblings... (Read 23817 times)
Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Veridian's Writings and Grumblings...
Mar 1st, 2011 at 7:50pm

I'm currently working on TWO stories right now... Both are romance manuscripts that I hope to eventually finish and publish.

I will warn everyone now that I have a VERY weird way of writing, but it does work for me. I will start a manuscript with an idea, open a main file for it and add to it when I think of what happens next. But if I happen to think of a REALLY good idea for a scene that happens later on in a book, I will open a new file, type up the scene and go from there... When I reach that point in the main manuscript file, I will splice that scene in, doing a copy/paste and then move the scene file into a special folder I have for files that have been spliced in.

I know, I'm weird, but it does work for me. I can't seem to write a longer story from beginning to end, I have to do it in chunks and add things already written up as I go along.

All file and manuscript names will be in code, because my files are named in such a way that they give away what happens in each part of the story. And since I'm pretty shy about sharing a lot of what the story is in each manuscript (except with certain people that is!), the codes are my way of letting everyone know that I did work on a certain file on a certain date without really giving anything away.

The one I will call UT#6 was started back in June of 2006 and is not even half finished yet. This one is going to be a doozy, because it's going to be long and it takes place over the course of three to five years. I'm currently at over 50,000 words for it... My goal is a minimum of 100,000. I may break 150,000 but that's okay, so long as the story isn't too drawn out or I don't ramble!!!

The one called UT#7 was started last year and is barely out of the starting gate. I do have a lot of work done on the outlines, character descriptions/backgrounds, and other things but the main manuscript itself has only about 5 pages single spaced so far and one other file that's about 3 pages long at this time. This is going to be another doozy for me because it also takes place over the course of a few years and a lot happens in this one too.

Okay, for UT #6, there are some files that I think are finished, including editing them to death: (Code names)

CIV
IFSS
FLS

The main manuscript file (MMF UT #6) is currently stuck at about 3/4 of the way through chapter 5, but as soon as that's finished, I'll be able to splice in the part of CVA1 and go from there... The CVA1 file isn't finished but that's okay, I can continue on it when I do get it spliced in if necessary.

For UT #7, on its main manuscript file (MM UT #7), I am about 7/8 of the way through Chapter one. I also have a file for another scene started and that's not quite 2 pages long, single spaced. That's all I have other than the outline/storyboard, character descriptions and backgrounds.

I haven't really had time to work on either story in the last month, although I was doing some editing and did manage to get a few more lines written into UT #6 a few weeks ago. February was NUTS here and with my husband being home from work until at least the middle of April, I haven't been up to writing at all. It seems that I need to be completely alone (except for the pets) and complete silence in order to work. Since Hubby LOVES to have that yakkidy-yak TV on when he's around, that means no silence and NO concentration for me unless he's out of the house!!  Smiley

However, if I do suddenly get an idea even when I'm not alone, I DO open Word and start typing, even if it's only a sentence or two. It's better than nothing!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Re: Veridian's Writings and Grumblings...
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 3:55pm

I have some AWESOME news to share today...

I managed to get some work done on UT #7 today!!!  Smiley

I had an idea to add some complexity into the story about 3/4 of the way through the story so I opened the Original Idea/Notes document and added it in... As I was inputting that, more ideas came my way and I added them.

I also got two character descriptions started and some ideas for their personalities. I know for sure what I want the one character to look like, but I am unsure on the other one... The personalities were easiest to work on for both, so I focused on that for the most part.

The best news of all?

I got TWO WHOLE PAGES of NEW material added into the main manuscript today!!!
Smiley

This is the most work I've done on either manuscript in a couple of months!!

I would have done more work on it but my brain started to fizzle out a bit, I was losing my concentration... My own fault, I had FIVE cups of half caff coffee and was getting up a lot during the last hour of working on things!!  Smiley That's okay, I have both the Notes/Original Idea page open and the main manuscript still open so if I think of anything else to add while I'm online or I can think of how I can carry the main manuscript further, I can do so.

I'm VERY excited and happy right now!!

Hubby was a complete angel... He turned the TV WAY down and I managed to work while I had media player running very quietly in my ear buds. I managed to block it out--most of the time! I couldn't find my earplugs but I adapted. Hubby is getting me new earplugs tonight so I'll have them for tomorrow and the future.

I just hope this is the beginning of me being able to work on this and the other story more often!! Yeah, there will be days that I find I can't work on either of them but I'm going to at least TRY to do something with them, even if it's a re-read and editing!!

WOOT!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:23pm

YAY for pages added!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 5:38pm

Smiley Thanks Penth!!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:55pm

Here's a list of some of the things I need to RESEARCH for UT #7:

• University websites: Nova Scotia: Dalhousie, St. Mary's, Acadia, St. Francis Xavier and any other ones I can find in the province... Rest of Canada: LaVal and... Not sure on the rest!!

Ranks, etc. of the RCMP civilian and non civilian members.

Ranks, etc. of regional police departments like the Ontario Police Department, Halifax Regional Police, etc.

What one needs to become a Ph.D (doctorate of psychology) in Canada, possibly the US.

The real estate market here in Nova Scotia, particularly Halifax, and what one needs to do in order to become a real estate agent and open their own agency legally in Canada.

And a TON of other things... Like the history and current culture of certain ethnic groups, ballistics, it's a list TEN MILES LONG!!

Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:02pm

That should be sufficient to keep you out of trouble for a while!  Smiley

I've had to research firefighting (where the HELL is a fireman whose brain you can pick when you need him?), criminal investigation (at least enough to wing it) with stray bits of nanotech and biochemistry thrown in!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:34pm

Trouble? ME??? Smiley

Smiley

Wow, I can't imagine doing research for something like biochemistry and I love sciences!!

I did knock one thing off of the list of researching... I got a list of all of the NS universities AND I found out that most of them offer undergraduate degrees in Psychology... Plus one does NOT need to go through med school in order to get it!! I also found out that Dalhousie University here in Halifax offers graduate studies right up to the doctorate in Psychology so that's a GO in UT#7!!!  Smiley

I've also picked out two first names for two special people in the heroine's life... NOT the leading man but two special people who play significant roles in her life.

Okay, that part is DONE... Now what's next on that !@#$%^&* long list???  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:59pm

Trouble.. YOU! Smiley

Fortunately, I only needed to do enough research to confirm that what I wanted to do was at least theoretically possible. Once I had that, I could go ahead with what I wanted to do with some advanced nanotech that we haven't gotten the hang of yet at this technological level but what is perfectly possible in theory. Fortunately I had a reference book at hand that confirmed that curare and caffeine aren't THAT different in chemical composition although the effects are another matter entirely!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:18pm

Yeah, I am trouble itself but you have to admit, I do make life interesting...  Smiley

Understandable, since your novels are set on other worlds and what goes for humans may not necessarily go for another species, etc.

I also have a map of the Halifax Regional Municipality in front of me... It's not on the computer, it's the same one I used to navigate around Halifax when I went to the city to see Scott Stapp in concert...  Smiley

Love scenes... I know I want them to be GRAPHIC... I also know I have a LOT of re-writing to do on the first one between the hero and the heroine... Not saying anything more on that now, Sanctuary is a PG 13 board after all!!  Smiley It's TMI for here... Wink

For one of the special guys that make an impact on the heroine's life... Blond hair and green eyes or blond hair and ice blue eyes??? It's not the hero but someone she is very close to... I know he's going to be very handsome though...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:24pm

I'd go with the blue probably since my father's eyes were described to me as being blue gray or steel blue.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:34pm

I was kind of leaning toward the blue too, blue sounds more Scandinavian. Wink

*writes it down in her notes for personalities/character descriptions*

It sounds like your father had nice eyes, Penth. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:53pm

My mother said that he was the handsomest man that she had ever seen. I wish that I remembered him and, even more, that they could have had more time together as man and wife. He died before they reached their fifth wedding anniversary. I was a few months short of three years old at the time.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Smiley I wish you could have remembered him too. Sounds like your mom loved him a lot.

Crap, I just realized that the list for surnames I bookmarked is for the US, I want one for CANADA...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:24pm

Thanks. She did. She never remarried and was his widow for 40 years, less three months. She told me once that she didn't believe that she could be "that lucky" twice.
I understand completely.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:33pm

I understand too... I can't imagine marrying someone else if Hubby were to ever pass away. My mom has been widowed almost 14 years now and doesn't want anyone else. Nanny was widowed over 30 years and she never remarried either.

Okay, one last name down, two to go for the time being...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:41pm

And another last name down, the Scandinavian one!! Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:47pm

I wouldn't remarry either although I have promised Skywise that I would if a certain situation was "in force" at the time of his death. Otherwise, I don't see myself tying the knot again.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:57pm

Hubby knows I won't remarry if something happens to him. He won't remarry either if anything happens to me, or so he says.

Once was enough for me thanks. Cheesy

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:17pm

Smiley I think that if you had been a widow for a while and Scott Stapp or George Eads proposed, that you would at least THINK about it!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:33pm

*BLUSHING*

Smiley

Smiley

You know me too well, Penth!!   Smiley

Peter Kelly Gaudreault is another one I'd really consider too...Not sure if I'd accept though!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:37pm

Good grief, I'm STILL blushing!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:59pm

Well, I'm sure that no one would blame you for taking one or all of them out for a "test drive" while you made up your mind.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:07am

*BLUSHING*

Darn right I'd "test drive" any of them!! Whoo... All three of them are nummy.... Smiley

Okay, I'd better shut up before I get into the realm of TMI...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #23 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:16am

I know THAT feeling entirely too well too! I have a "short list" I'd like to "audition" if the opportunity presented itself.... Smiley

Post # 17,571
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:19am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:20am

Nothing like thinking about how each audition would "play out"...  Smiley  Smiley

There I go back into the TMI for the main boards realm again...  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Send TopicPrint